Chapter 6

Mabeobsi School of Wizardry

Once Minseok’s team was out of the tent, the teams spread out and go over their plans one last time. Silence fell upon the tent when they heard the commentators come on.

“Good morning, Mabeobsi student body and staff! Welcome to the official beginning of the House Games! Irene here, today I’m with Bogum and Kibum. How do you think this first task will play out today?” Irene’s cheery voice came on over the speakers. Seulgi smiled at her friend’s enthusiasm.

The three commentators then went on for a few more minutes, explaining that the champions had to work on a riddle the past weeks to find out about the first task, and just regular chatter, they were interrupted by the crowd erupting into cheers. The Bulsajo team must have just stepped into the arena. Usual introductions were given, the crowd cheering for each student loudly.

The cheers died down, and the commentators spoke up once again. “The Mizuchi, is a water dragon from Japan. Although it doesn’t breathe fire like our other dragons here today, it is extremely fast and has one nasty bite.” Bogum informed the audience, before Irene spoke up. “They’re on the move now. The Bulsajo team has split up, Minseok seems to be distracting the beast.”

A moment of silence. “He’s got its attention!” Irene’s voice was filled with excitement.

There’s a gasp from the crowd, and “That was a close one for Juhyun!” Kibum exclaimed.

The champions in the tent become more and more anxious as they listen on, some of them have taken to pacing around while others fidget in their seats, wishing they could see what was going on.

“Juhyun’s back out! She’s pulling out her wand.” Bogum commented. “The dragon seems to be confused. A confundus charm!”

“Minseok and Juhyun are drawing the dragon’s attention away from the pearl,” Irene said.

“Wait, who’s there?” Kibum spoke up. “It’s Sunyoung! She’s going for the pearl!”

The crowd exploded into roars. “She’s got it! The Bulsajo team has the pearl!” Bogum all but yelled into the microphone. They heard Irene laugh at his enthusiasm. “Congratulations to the Bulsajo team for passing the first challenge”

“I guess we’re next.” Amber stood, her teammates following as they made their way to the exit. The gong rang out through the area and the Kumiho team disappeared behind the flap.

The two remaining teams sat opposite of each other as they listened in. The usual introduction of the team and what they’re going up against began, but was cut off by the crowd’s sound of astonishment.

“The Chinse Fireball attacked as soon as they stepped foot in the arena!”

“Hyoyeon and Amber summon their brooms and they’re off! They seem to be following the Bulsajo’s strategy. With a distraction, they have the dragon’s attention!”

“Jongdae hasn’t been seen yet.”

Jongin perked up at the sound of his friend’s name. He didn’t get hurt did he? Jongin looked to the others, worry etched on their faces.

“The ladies of the Kumiho team are zapping the dragon with an electrocuting spell!”

“Hold on.” Kibum’s voice filled with curiosity was over the speakers. “The pearl!”

“It’s floating!” Bogum exclaimed.

“It’s Jongdae! He’s got the pearl!” Irene cheered.

Anything the commentators were trying to say was drowned out by the audience’s roaring.

With a sigh, Kris stood. “Come on you two.” The three walked over to the exit. 

“Remember the plan?” Soojung asked the two boys beside her. They nod. Sehun looked back to Jongin as the gong rang, and they stepped behind the flap.

 

The first thing that Sehun saw when he and his teammates step out into the arena was the entirety of the school in the bleachers, cheering loudly, he couldn’t even hear the commentators. Movement in the corner of his eye drew his attention towards the Hanuel rising from its resting place above the pearl.

“Alright, Soojung take the left, Sehun the right.” Kris directed them, before they run off into action. Kris stayed to draw the dragon’s attention, while his teammates hid amongst the boulders in the arena.

Sehun caught Soojung’s red hair between the rocks, once they see each other, the two nod, raising their wands. “Avis!”

A flock of small birds sprout from their wands and circle the Hanuel, pulling its attention away from Kris. “Oppugno!” the two youngest commanded, and the birds start diving towards the dragon. Sehun threw a smile in Soojung’s direction, but she was already moving on to get the pearl.

He moved to go help Kris, but was stopped when the dragon’s tail slammed him into the wall behind him, leaving him breathless. Sehun slumped against the ground, letting out a groan before he started to search for his wand.

His head shot up when he heard the crowd let out screams of terror, the dragon’s attention was no longer on Kris.

“Soojung!” he yelled, getting up and running for her, completely forgetting his wand.

When he was close enough, Sehun pulled her into his chest, squeezing his eyes shut, and his back to the dragon as they are engulfed in its flames.

But the burn never came.

Sehun opened his eyes to see that, they are indeed on fire, but there was no burn, only a light tickle. He turned to look behind him and saw Kris standing off to the side from the dragon, his wand raised towards them.

“The pearl!” he yelled.

Soojung unwraped Sehun’s arms from around her and dragged him in the direction of the pearl. Once she snatched it up they ran for the exit. Sehun heared Irene cheer over the speakers. “The Mireu’s have the pearl!”

Outside the arena, Kris wrapped his teammates in a tight embrace, not letting go until Professor Taeyeon came up to congratulate them.

“Good job, you three.” She smiled at them. “Nice use of that fire freezing charm Kris.” She directed her smile to him, giving him a pat on the shoulder before having them follow her to a waiting area. The three never taking their arms from around each other’s shoulders as they walked.

 

“Ready?” Seulgi asked.

“I feel like I’m going to throw up, but yes,” Jongin muttered, Chanyeol gave him a nudge and smile.

The sound of the gong rang out for the last time today.

The moment they stepped foot in the arena, the crowd roared loudly Chanyeol spotted Baekhyun amongst their friends, looking worried.

“Where is it?” Seulgi said under her breath, drawing Chanyeol’s attention back to the arena. The Haetae champions stepped out slowly. 

“It can’t be this easy. That thing is the ing devil,” Jongin said, their eyes darting all over the arena, waiting for the dragon to appear.

They heard a hiss and then, “Get down!” Jongin demanded and the three dove for the shelter of the boulders. Chanyeol looked back to where they were standing to see it engulfed with flames.

“Holy .” He breathed out. “Seulgi, you go for the pearl. We’ll keep this thing away from you.” Seulgi nodded before going after the pearl, staying low as to not be seen by the dragon.

“We just have to keep it distracted long enough for Seul to get the pearl, ok?” Jongin said. They sneaked around the boulders, Jongin peaking over one and froze.

“How the hell do you manage to lose a ing dragon?” he asked, Chanyeol huffed out of frustration. He stopped when he saw the tail of the dragon move in front of them.

“Jongin, move.”

“What.”

“Run!” Chanyeol shoved Jongin forward, just in time to avoid being burnt into a crisp.

“Aquamenti!” Jongin yelled as the dragon readied to fire at them again, a jet of water goes into the beast’s mouth. Causing it to stop and thrash.

“Good job.” Chanyeol high fived Jongin as they hid again. “What’s taking Seulgi so long?” Jongin asked, Chanyeol shrugged and then there’s a hand on his shoulder.

“Seulgi?”

“What are you doing over here? Where’s the pearl?” Chanyeol asked.

“I can’t find it! The dragon’s tail hit it off the platform, the accio spell doesn’t work on it!” she exclaimed, Jongin let out a groan. “Ok ok, let’s go look for it together. It can’t be that hard to find.” His teammates nodded.

“Keep an eye out for the dragon,” Jongin said, before they sneaked their way over to the pearl’s area. They crouched down and began their search.

“Seul, there.” Jongin pointed to her left, and there it was lodged underneath a boulder. Seulgi smiled as she reached for it. 

“Seulgi!” she heared Irene scream over the intercom, and she jumped. She looked up to see the dragon above her.

“C-confringo!” Chanyeol yelled out, Jongin pulling Seulgi back into him and they rolled under the cover of the rocks. The explosion shook the ground and they heard the dragon roar before it went quiet.

“Really Chanyeol?” Jongin huffed, as they come out of their cover. The crowd roaring loudly with cheers, happy to see that three were unharmed. Seulgi raised the pearl high into the air, while Jongin still grumbled at Chanyeol. “Confringo? Really Chanyeol?”

“I panicked!” he defended. “It was the first thing that popped into my head.”

They started to make their way out of the arena, when Seulgi joined in. “Yeah, confringo? If the dragon didn’t get us that would have killed us.”

They exited the arena and were walking underneath the bleachers to meet up with their friends. “That curse is controlled by how you feel.” Seulgi started rolling the pearl in her hand as they walked. “You were trying to protect us, but you knew that something small wasn’t going to stop the dragon, so your fear took over.”

“And caused one hell of an explosion.” Jongdae laughed as he walked up to them. All of the champions gathered around the last team to congratulate them.

The Headmaster, also came out to congratulate the students on completing the first task and telling them when the next task would take place. “Keep up the good work kids.” He smiled at them before he left.

The champions were the first ones out of the arena, so they waited for their friends to file out of the huge crowd to find them.

Jongin took a seat on a large boulder, and watcheed the mass of students leave for the palace. Soojung’s sister tackled her into an embrace, and then she was hugging Sehun and Kris too. Seulgi was with her little group of friends, trying to calm down a crying Yeri. Chanyeol was tackled to the ground by Baekhyun. The female champions left with their group of friends, leaving the boys to themselves.

He smiled at his friends messing around and laughing. “Jongin!” He started to turn to see who called his name, but was engulfed in a strong embrace. “I’m so happy your alive.” Luhan said into his shoulder. Jongin smiled, hugging Luhan back.

He wished they could stay this carefree forever. But life has other plans for them.

 


 

Sorry for making this chapter short, but I hope you guys like it. I probably could have gone into more detail on the other two teams but nothing really big happened to them like the other two. I'll focus on all of the teams on another task but for now it's probably going to focus more on the Mireu and Haetae teams.

I haven't started on the next chapter yet, but it should be a bit longer than this one.