Tricks of the Hand.

Owl Feathers.

There’s a faint tug on his robes from where he’s been walking slightly too fast but he’s running late, something he never does. His class starts in five minutes and he’s never been less than 20 minutes early for lecture in order to make sure that all the necessary steps are taken for preparation. Luckily enough the door to his classroom is right down the hall, and the small tugs cease as its source realizes where they are, much smaller steps speeding along once again beside him.

The door is pushed open in a flourish to announce his presence (lest his students start to believe that they were miraculously going to have the day off), robes fluttering behind him- well, at least to one side. Long strides carry him to the front of the class to his desk, the class having quietened down almost as soon as he had made himself known.

“I expect all of you to have retrieved the materials needed for today as we discussed last time. Failure to have done so will result in a tardy for the class.” His voice is stern as always when addressing the body as a whole, though upon discarding his robe on the desk chair to reveal his black dress shirt and slacks his voice takes a much softer tone, body coming down into a crouch to be at eye level.

“I need you to be good for me today, okay Jaehyun? Appa has to give an exam today so you’re with me, but Daddy’s busy too.”

There’s an especially quick nod of the young boy’s head, fluffy dark hair flying along with it.

“Good boy,” Jiyong smiles, straightening his son’s much smaller robes.

“Now,” he begins again, face drawn back into the stern, collected appearance it normally held as he once again addressed the class. “If you’ll turn to page 237, we’ll get started.”

There are few interruptions after that, Jiyong instructing his students as he circled the classroom to keep a hawk eye on the procedures they were following, making sure to keep careful note so as to give them the proper advice and grading based upon their efforts. All the while Jaehyun toddles behind him, occasionally clinging to his pants leg while he stops to lean over a cauldron every now and then.

“Pst. Jae!”

It’s almost midway through the class when Jaehyun finally separates slightly from Jiyong, his father having been distracted by a particularly bad attempt at today’s assignment. His head twists around in the direction of the name that had called him; one of the students at the end of the table near him gesturing for the boy to come over. With a quick glance over his shoulder to see that his father was still busy he toddled over; the big kids were always nice to him.

“Here. But don’t tell the professor I gave it to you, okay?”

With a quick nod he takes the proffered sweet and stuffs it in his robe pocket before taking quick steps back to Jiyong’s side. It’s not until the class is over and the students file out of the room that he sticks the candy in his mouth, having pulled himself up on the chair behind Jiyong’s desk. Said professor sighs, running a hand through his hair and making sure that the supplies were all put back in their proper places before joining his son at his desk, having a small break before he has another class.

“And where did you get that?’ Jiyong hummed, tucking a stray hair behind his son’s ear.

Large dark eyes blinked up at him for a moment before sticking both small hands in the air. “Magic!”