summer, extra-training sessions and us. (part 1)

{one-shot collections} Paradaisia — the place where the powerful ones belongs.

“God, why must this happening?” Bomi muttered under her breath. She felt like wanting to bang her head against the wall, but then she didn’t because she would probably break the wall — and she would be assigned to extra-training session again. Urgh, her head felt dizzy when the phrase ‘extra-training session’ came into her mind. She just couldn’t help it. The other students would feel happy when they were assigned to the extra-training session, but not her. Her introduction as a Paradaisia student would be like, “Hi. My name is Yoon Bomi and I hate extra-training session.” Yeah, sort of.

  It’s almost summer, and the holiday is coming up. Some of the professors already set up few extra-training sessions for ‘the chosen students’. Dammit, she didn’t know why but she could feel that she was kinda listed in that ‘super-lucky-chosen-students’ list. Like seriously, she only managed to hope that everything went well this week — and also hoped that she would be more careful, not breaking any walls again. Why did she broke the walls? Well, that’s her only problem.

Powers are supposed to be a gifted ability. But as for Bomi, her power is the only thing that made her life became miserable. She didn’t know whether it’s a gift or a curse. Curse? What kind of sin that she’ve done to receive this kind of punishment? Sighs. It’s unfair. Being a Phoenix-kid she was, it would make her felt quite pressured because most of Phoenix kids are hard-working and have great skills in using their powers. Sometimes, she just wished that she was one of the Kestrel. Most of Kestrel’s students didn’t have to train much because most of their powers were more to the self-focus and relaxation. Like the 5th grade senior, Zhang Yixing who’s famous for his healing skills. He didn’t have to enter the arena to improve his healing skills — all he need was to keep calm and relax, then he could generate his power. It didn’t sound complicated, right?

Too bad. Her power and Yixing aren’t the same. She’s Yoon Bomi — and her gifted ability is Strength. Yes, strength is her power. Only that she didn’t know how to control it well. That’s how she ended up breaking the walls in the hallway of Paradaisia — and also breaking Professor Gong’s arm when she’s trying to help him getting up on his feet after he slipped pathetically in front of the girls’ washroom. Of course, she got her punishment for the accidents. Thank goodness Professor Jo’s healing power was strong enough to heal the broken arm of her professor. From that moment, she swore that she’s not going to help anyone again — or maybe she would end up breaking the whole body parts of a person.

“God please, I don’t want to be listed in that extra-training session.” She prayed, burying her face in her palms. She didn’t want it. Because she knew, extra-training session never worked on her. She never improve. Ever since she entered Paradaisia as a 2nd grade student, her powers didn’t developed like the others. It’s hard for her to even train because there’s only few students who actually have the same power with her. It’s rare. You could easily find people with elements powers (like fire, water and wind) but not strength, healing and the others. That’s why there’s only few Kestrel students in Paradaisia (the least population to be correct).

Oh come on. She only need to make sure everything went well this week. Only this week. She’s going to have a fit if she’s excluded from having the summer holiday.

“Goodluck, Yoon Bomi.” She clenched her fist tight while closing her eyes, praying for her luck. She better not to screw up — or else there’s no holiday for her.

 


Dammit. Looks like luck was never on her side since the moment she was born. Or maybe she doesn’t deserve any luck. Crap. The moment when she passed the hallway and bumped into her bestfriends, Eunji and Luna who were also Phoenix-kids — and she almost cursed because;

“Bomi. You’re listed.” Eunji said in her trembling voice, as she handed Bomi a paper which showed the list of few students’ names, including their powers. Bomi took it, hoping that she won’t find her name but — there it is. Her name was on the top of the list. Damn.

“I bet that — it’s must be Professor Gong.”Luna added, shaking her head off regretfully. God, did Professor Gong hated her so much for accidentally breaking his arm?

Bomi just stood there, staring both of them with an unreadable expression. It’s either a horrified  or an unbelievable expression. That moment, she just wanted to rip off the list or eat it or asked Luna to burn it on the spot so she won’t be seeing her name in the list again. But it’s hopeless. Whatever she did, it won’t change the fact that she’s going to spend her summer holidays here — in Paradaisia.

“Screw everything.” Bomi heaved a sigh. She’s feeling so down right now. Only that she felt quite better when Eunji and Luna kept patting her back, reassuring her that everything is going to be alright. It’s for her good’s sake though. She need to improve more, so that she won’t end up breaking the walls in the hallway again. She needs to. She’s a Phoenix — and Phoenix kids didn’t gave up easily.

 


Bomi found herself ended up being in the library after the lunch ended. She just decided to skip the Herbal Medicine class since she really needs some time to think and calm herself. After all, she disliked that subject so much and there’s no way that she would attend it after the worst thing happened to her. Really? Does extra-training session was the worst thing ever? It’s her power.

A loud sigh escaped her lips once again. She kept wandering from each sections of the book racks, without any reason. Geez, the other students in the library kept staring at her — well probably because it’s totally a rare thing to see Yoon Bomi in the Paradaisia’s library. God, she didn’t even know why she came to the library at the first place.

Bomi stopped her steps and finally took a seat at the empty table which is located near the ‘Power-Guides Section’. Urgh, looking at the various books only made her felt dizzy and she almost felt like wanting to puke. Duh, she shouldn’t even come here at the first place — you’re so stupid Yoon Bomi. She ended up leaning her head against the hard wooden table with her elbow as the pillow, closing her eyes slowly — probably trying to take a nap.

But then a voice came from the back, calling her name. “Yoon Bomi?” Yeah, Bomi recognized that voice too well and she felt quite glad to hear that voice. She turned to the back, only to find a girl with brown ponytailed-hair in her dark green uniform — which means that she’s one of the Hawks.

“Chorong-unnie.” She chirped happily as she tried to smile. The girl earlier approached her with some books in her hands, filling the seat beside her. Bomi stared at Chorong who’s diligently arranging her books on table. As expected, Park Chorong — the model student of Paradaisia.

“I can’t believe that I found you here.” The elder girl said. Bomi pouted as she gave a light slap on Chorong’s arm. She already expected that though.

“Me too. I can’t believe that I ended up being here.” She said, her voice sounded low and slow which made Chorong felt quite concerned. Did something just happened to her favourite junior?

“You sounded so different. Did something just happened?” Chorong asked as she reached one of her books. “Curse of Fire,” Bomi read silently as she took a glance of the book on Chorong’s lap. Bomi fixed her position into the comfortable one, getting ready to spill everything about her miserable-ness to her favourite senior.

Only then she was interrupted by the appeareance of a male student that suddenly approached their table with some books in his hands.

“Excuse me.” He said politely as he knew that it would be quite rude to suddenly barged in between the two persons who seems like having a conversation. Bomi didn’t mind though. By the way, it seems like the guy had something important to talk with Chorong.

“Noona, it’s the record of Hawk’s girls improvement. Yifan-hyung told me to hand you this.” The male student spoke in his deep voice. For some reason, Bomi didn’t know why she kept her attention on the male student — who’s also a Hawk boy. It’s Do Kyungsoo, who is in the same grade as her and — his power is Strength. Bomi just realized that. But still, she didn’t know much about the guy except for the fact that he’s one of the best students among of the Hawks and the whole Paradaisia. Model student, again.

“Gosh, sorry for troubling you. Yifan should hand me this by himself, so I guess that I’m going to rip his head off after this.” Chorong said as she felt sorry to the younger guy as she took the records. She should already acknowledge this though because the head boy is such a lazy — damn she’s going to kill Wu Yifan after this, she swore that. Hm, probably by burning off a bit of his hair won't hurt much.

“No, I don’t really mind. It’s an easy favour though. Alright, I better get going.” He bowed a little before he excused himself. Once again, Bomi found her eyes tailing the nerd-kid until he’s out from her sight. Well, she found that it’s quite weird somehow — because she’s not that kind of type that would pay attention towards a guy. Or any guys.

“Already finished staring at him?” Chorong’s voice chimed suddenly, bringing Bomi back to the reality. Bomi faked a cough, acting like as if nothing ever happened. “Stare what? I’m not staring.” Bomi said awkwardly as she reached one of Chorong’s books from the piles and flipping it over from page to page — okay, this is weird because she never have any interests on books. So she decided to close it and put it back.

“Hm, that’s weird. I really caught you staring at him just now.” Chorong turned to Bomi. Damn, Chorong was trying to make her nervous right now like seriously. She didn’t have anything to say when it comes to Do Kyungsoo — who’s totally not in her standard. His standard is totally higher than her and there’s no way they would at least be friends with each other. Too much difference.

“Stop imagining things, unnie. It’s nothing.” Bomi said, cutting all of the things off. She didn’t want to talk about anyone else right now. She only wanted to talk about herself — about her misfortunes.

“So.. What is it Bomi? What happened, actually?” Chorong guiding both of them back to their real topic. Bomi let out a relieved breath. Finally.

“It’s a super-big problem you know. I don’t know how to cope with this like seriously.” She started to talk. Chorong just kept listening, sometimes she quietly threw her glance towards the handsome librarian who was currently in-charge at the counter — the Kestrel guy named Luhan. Well, she can’t deny the fact that she really enjoyed looking at beautiful creatures.

“I got listed in Paradaisia’s Summer Special Extra-Traning.” Bomi finally said her main point — the main point of her big problem. It took Chorong a few seconds before she lifted her eyes from the beautiful librarian boy to her spiritless favourite junior who’s having her head lying on the table right now. Chorong blinked for a few times before replying, “Whoa, that’s great then.”

Bomi almost lost it when she heard Chorong’s earlier reply. Seriously?

“You gotta be kidding me.” Bomi said, shaking her head off unbelievably. Ah, perhaps she almost forgot the fact that Chorong loves extra-training sessions. She damn loves it. Urgh, screw her life for being surrounded by excellent students and people who’s blessed with their powers.

“Oh, come on Bomi. It’s not that bad, okay. You should start improving yourself seriously. Don’t you think so, Bomi?” Chorong was sounding super-positive yet it doesn’t help Bomi a bit. She even felt more upset because Chorong didn’t think that extra-trainings on summer holidays are totally . Duh, she can’t understand the positive minds of the model students. Where the hell does all of the positivity came?

“You’re not helping.” Bomi let out a frustrated sigh, carefully pulling up her head again, struggling herself to fix the position of her sitting into the comforable one. She didn’t one to accidentally break the leg of library’s chair during her first time being in the library.

“It’s not that bad, trust me. After all, you’re going to have a mentor for those sessions.” Chorong reached for the younger’s shoulder, squeezing it gently. Bomi’s jaw dropped as she heard the ‘mentor’ word escaped from Chorong’s lips. What the hell, is that?

“What do you mean with a ‘mentor’?” Her eyes were opened wide as she looked at the elder. Chorong blinked for few times, “You don’t know?” Bomi shook off her head, totally confused.

“I was assigned to be one of the mentors as well. But I’m not going to be your mentor of course since it was based on the powers.” Chorong said.

“Why the hell I didn’t even know about this?”

“It was on the list. You haven't see it, yet?” List? Oh crap. She didn’t remember a thing about the list. The only thing she saw was her name on the top and after that she didn’t even bother to take a look at the list again. Oh yeah, she got rid of the list by crumpling it and leave it into the hallway’s dustbin before she went here. Really, she didn’t see anything like her mentor’s name or even — anything else.

“I just — um, left it somewhere and yeah it was out of my sight. So I lost it.” Bomi lied, she didn’t want to be lectured by Chorong for throwing such an important information into the hallway’s dustbin. Chorong might can’t stop, so it’s better to not start it off.

“You’re so careless.” Chorong marked before pulling out a green file from the pile of her books. Bomi could see some of herbal medicine notes (super-duper long notes, probably how model students worked it off) in the file, and there — Chorong finally pulled out a paper which also known as the list for the candidates of ‘Summer Special Extra-training Session’. Sounds cool, huh?

“Here, take a look. Don’t crumple it or I’ll burn off your fingers.” Chorong warned first, causing Bomi to set her mind carefully — do not crumple the paper. She took a deep breath as she start to examine the list which she easily can spot her name on the top; Yeah, not a surprise but then — she gasped. Real hard.

 

 

Oh my God. She needs someone to slap her hard right now, or maybe bang her head against the wall. This better be unreal. “You gotta be kidding. Me and — Do Kyungsoo?” The words escaped her lips. Bomi sounded so terrified. So unbelievable. And so dead.

“What’s wrong with Kyungsoo being your mentor anyways? I think he would be a great mentor for you.” Chorong said while running her fingers through her brown hair, letting out a soft breath. Chorong won’t understand it. She won’t because Chorong and Kyungsoo seems quite close and of course they would manage to cope with each other but — like she said earlier, she and Kyungsoo were totally in different standards. She and him, the difference is just too far. He’s perfect while she’s not. It’s not that Bomi was afraid or what but she’s quite nervous — because it’s Do Kyungsoo. He’s one of Paradaisia’s best students, and she is only a super-ordinary student. More like a shame to Paradaisia.

With a sigh, Bomi started to look at the list again, envying every pair that were included in the list for the extra-trianing session. Urgh, Byun Baekhyun at least got paired with his favourite junior, Kim Taehyung and — okay, this is not fair; Why the hell Chorong got paired with her own little brother? Bomi swore that she and Kyungsoo was the most awkward pairing in the list. Dead serious.

“God, what kind of sin that I’ve done? What’ve I done to even receive this kind of cruel punishment?” Bomi kept asking the same question in her mind, ignoring Chorong who’s too busy to care about her problems because the elder kept focusing on stealing the glances of the handsome librarian all over again.

Crap, screw everything.

 

 

The first day of summer holiday came too fast. She’s being all alone in her room — since Eunji already gone back to her hometown, Busan. Of course, she’s envious of Eunji and Luna because both of them didn’t have to attend the extra-training sessions. They’re luckier than her. After all, they’re good in contolling their powers, unlike her. Bomi still can’t understand her own power.

A deep sigh left her lips as she folded her mattress and blanket which were still on the floor. Yeah, she even slept on the floor so that she won’t break the bed. Sighs. Her power is such a burden. The burden that she really want to get rid of. It would be better if she didn’t have power. At least she won’t end up breaking up things again. Sighs.

After she finished washing up herself, Bomi ended up wearing her training outfit — a white t-shirt underneath her dark-red coloured jacket which symbollizes the colour of her house, Phoenix and a pair of black jeans. She took a look of her reflection in the mirror, checking up herself. Gosh, her eyes looked quite swollen, probably because she’ve been crying since last night. She missed her parents so much. It’s such a shame that she couldn’t went back to her home.Her elder brother, Yoon Doojoon who’s currently studying at Yokohama Magic Institute is going home today and she couldn’t meet him. Ugh, it of course. They only met twice a year, and she’s not going home for summer holiday. She miss him alot. Her playful and jokester brother. Doojoon would understand it though, she knew that he would.

Brushing off her worries, Bomi bolted out from her room and walked through the exit of Phoenix’s girls dormitory. She passed off few of rooms in the floor before she met the flight of stairs that would directly bring her to the arena. It’s totally quiet, and empty. Humming to some of happy summer songs, Bomi went into the hallway that would lead her to Arena C. It’s still early in the morning but she could already hear the sound of the others practicing in their own arena. Sighs, she only hope that this extra-training session won’t — God, no. Please don’t.

“You’re late.” Bomi was greeted with a deep voice as she stepped into the arena. She inhaled a breath as she looked to the front, eyes blinking continuously as she stared at the figure on front of her. “Do Kyungsoo.” She muttered under her breath, blood rushing all over her body as she felt nervous. Wait, why did she even felt nervous? It’s just Kyungsoo — the boy in her grade, oh and also the model student.

“I’m sorry.” She stuttered a bit when she spoke, but she felt quite better after that. She walked closer towards her so-called mentor who’s looking at her with his pair of wide eyes. Only serious look was plastered on his face, and his jet black hair seems neat as always.

“Nevermind.” He said, looking down to the sandy ground of the arena. Bomi did nothing, she only observed him and waited for his instruction. Kyungsoo didn’t talk after that, instead he stepped back a bit from Bomi and closed his eyes as if he’s summoning something. The next thing that Bomi realized was the current ground that she’s standing right then felt quite shaky. God, what’s happening? She started to panic as she couldn’t balance herself and she ended up falling on her feet due to the shaky ground. She trembled a bit as she brought her knees close to her chest and she hugged them tight. Bomi was totally confused.

“Krak!”

The sound of resembling the earthquake came from the ground and huge rocks started to pop out, trapping her in a circle. Well, more like a rock prison — only that they only reached the height half of her body. Bomi stole a glance of Kyungsoo again and finally found that the latter is opening his eyes and looking at her with a thin curve of line on his lips. Bomi was totally confused about what’s happening right now. How can the guy summoned the Earth when his power is actually Strength?

“What is this?” Bomi questioned, she almost lost her voice because of being panic and her legs were still shaky yet she still managed to stand on her feet. She slowly brought her fingers, brushing them over the rocks. It's real. The rocks came from the Earth.

“Destroy them.” Kyungsoo instructed. His eyes looking at her, almost looked like entertained. And Bomi could see that. “Pardon me?” Bomi looked at him unbelievably. By judging at the size of the rocks around her, she didn’t sure whether she could break them off easily like how she did to the hallway walls. But sure, it’s not even hurt to at least give a try right? — or maybe not.

Bomi hold her right hand up, aiming to one of the rocks that was trapping her. With a loud “AHH!” she crashed her knuckles onto the current rock. It breaks of course, but only a bit. And Bomi ended up groaning in pain while holding back her right fist.

“Damn. That was hurt!” She shrieked, looking at Kyungsoo. Instead, Kyungsoo just smiled as he made his way towards her. His hands were stuffed in the pockets of his dark-blue jeans.

“You did it wrongly.” He commented as he examined the rock that Bomi just cracked. “You were supposed to destroy it completely. Not just a crack.” He shook off his head slowly. He stood up straight in front of the rock, and aimed his right hand above the rock. With only just one shot, he managed to break the rock into the small pieces of rocks. And that makes Bomi to open wide, feeling amazed and amused.

“How the heck you did that?” She spoke.

“It’s one of the basics. You should know that, Yoon Bomi.” He’s sounding quite sarcastic which made Bomi felt pissed off. She rolled her eyes as she watched him closing his eyes again. And Bomi could feel the ground that she’s standing becoming shaky again. What is he doing?

After for a while, the rocks sinked back into the ground — freeing her from the ‘rock prison’ that he built earlier. Bomi couldn’t help but felt amazed again. Surely, Kyungsoo is amazing.

“Dude, how did you do that?” Bomi walked towards him, leaving her ealier spot. Kyungsoo finally opened his eyes again, the owl-eyes of his staring at the confused Phoenix girl in front of him.

“It’s my power. Of course I can do it.” Bomi drew few wrinkles on her forehead. Power? What power?

“Hey, isn’t that your power is Strength, just like me?” Kyungsoo nodded. “Then, where the hell does the summoning earth thingy come from?” She couldn’t help but felt curious. Yeah, she didn’t know Kyungsoo that much after all. He didn’t seem like the type of person that she would care to know. Only because he’s a model student.

“I’m a Dual.” Kyungsoo muttered in a low voice but loud enough for Bomi to hear. Once again, Bomi striked that kind of amazed expression on her face. “Wow.” The only thing that she managed to said. Are you kidding me? It’s not easy to even find people who is actually a Dual. Being a Dual means that you can have two powers, and you can balance them well. Anyone would crave to be a Dual — including Yoon Bomi, only that she didn’t want Strength to be one of her power. Um, maybe water and frost would look nice on her.

“Tch. It’s not really a big thing.” Kyungsoo shrugged off, dusting off some dust of sand from his dark-green sweater. Bomi stomped off her feet frustratingly — why the hell someone like Do Kyungsoo could be so lucky?

“What a blessed human-kind you are.” Bomi scoffed, brushing off the sandy-dirt on her jeans. Seriously, what did Kyungsoo even do to deserve such an amazing life? Bomi didn’t know of course, because neither both of them knew each other well. But, Bomi did hoped that may this extra-training session would be a way for them to be friends — well at least, eventhough it sounded quite impossible. It’s because Kyungsoo seems like the kind of person who loves to be alone and comfortable being alone. Unlike Bomi, she hates it when she needs to be alone.

“Being a Dual it’s not an easy thing. It requires alot of struggles.” Kyungsoo responded upon her words earlier. Bomi mouthed a faint ‘Yeah, right.’ before turning to the other side. A minute later, Kyungsoo started to give his instructions again.

“Okay. Let’s do it like this.” Bomi turned back to him, trying her best to pay attention. Kyungsoo hold out his hand again, closing his eyes. Bomi already caught that, so she stepped backward for few steps.

A rock which shaped like tomb (yeah something that looks kinda like Stonehenge but the smaller one) begun to appear from the ground. Whoa, this is so cool.

“Alright. You’re going to smack the rock whenever I summoned it. Imagine it like a punch bag — throw away all of your worries when you did it.” Kyungsoo explained. Bomi nodded lightly as she positioned herself in front of the rock. She hold up her hand and Kyungsoo interrupted.

“Now, think about the stressful moment that you ever had.” And yes, Bomi did.

“Being chosen to attend the extra-training session during summer holiday is totally .” She thought in her head. Bomi tried to gain her focus after that and she swung her right knuckle, straight to the centre of the rock and — “Crack!”

Oh my god.

She did it. She ing did it. Bomi almost couldn’t speak. She did it, just like how Kyungsoo wanted her to do. Bomi turned to Kyungsoo, only to find the latter staring at her with a heart-shaped smile on his lips and — he looks so ing cute. Ouch, did she just applied the “cute” word on the model student of Paradaisia? Wow, so unbelievable.

“Great! Let’s keep doing that.” Kyungsoo start to summon the rocks again and Bomi got ready in her position. During that moment, Bomi swore that this is the best extra-training session that she ever attended. And she’s expecting to improve more by attending this. Maybe Chorong was right, maybe Luna and Eunji were right and maybe luck was on her side for the first time.

“I think that I’m going to like this extra-training session alot.” Bomi said to herself, and she actually can't believe it. Oh come on, ditch that. All she want is to have some fun. It's summer after all.

“Really?” Kyungsoo threw her a faint smile. Bomi nodded lightly, still didn’t lose her focus as she waited for Kyungsoo’s rock attacks. “Good then.” Kyungsoo muttered. A rock popped out from the ground and Bomi crashed it just like she did earlier.

“Because I think that I’m going to enjoy it too.” Kyungsoo said as he chuckled, summoning for more rock tombs for Bomi to destroy. The first day of summer just passed like that — and you can hear the sound of rocks cracking continuously along with light chuckles from Arena C.

The first day of extra-training session; Check.