Chapter 18: Eye Witness

Phantom Crimes [DISCONTINUED]
Please log in to read the full chapter

‘I love him. Oh god, I said it. I’m in a deep love with him. There’s no denying it. Are you happy now?’

 

Jongin slammed the pen lightly on the hospital table and placed his hands on the face, trying to hide his embarrassment. It’s a valid truth which made Chanyeol drew a smirk on the corner of his lips as he read the confession on the paper. They’re in the hospital room where Jongdae was resting and both Kyungsoo and Jongdae were in the deep slumber. It was two in the morning, Chanyeol came visit to check up on Kyungsoo since he didn’t return to the apartment after the kidnapping incident. But it seemed Kyungsoo wanted to be together with Jongdae, he shrugged off his worry. He decided to give a minute or two to have a conversation with the angel.

 

And it turned out that Jongin exposed about his love to Kyungsoo.

 

Chanyeol smirk turned into a low giggle, which made flustered Jongin grabbed the pen and wrote on the paper, in haste.

 

‘Don’t laugh!’

 

“Okay! Okay! I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to tease you.” Chanyeol controlled his voice, trying not to wake his friends up.

 

Jongin wrote it again. ‘Still, it’s no different between you and Baekhyun-hyung though.’

 

Chanyeol’s wide smile slightly dropped on that. Of course he likes Baekhyun more than just friends. But he’s not on the same courage level with Jongin. He was afraid to confess. Afraid that his best friend won’t accept him more than just ‘best friend’. “You’re wrong. Baekhyun and I were just best friends. Nothing more.”

 

‘Lies.’

 

That one word backfired him. “It’s true! I wasn’t... brave enough to confess him.” He noticed there’s no response from Jongin, he smiled sadly.

 

Jongin kept watching the older him with a pitiful face as he crossed his arms. Chanyeol decided to continue talking.

 

“I don’t mind calling me a coward or a chicken, because I really am. I don’t have the courage. Fooling around and getting hype are my thing, but confess? Nuh-uh. I’m not that kind of person.”

 

Jongin reached for the paper and wrote.

 

‘So you’re going to wait? Until one day Baekhyun-hyung confess to you? Or waiting until the end of the world?’

 

Chanyeol puffed out a small chuckle as he read it. “No way. There’s no way Baekhyun going to confess. I knew him too well.” He made a small pause and spoke right before Jongin could write anything. “You know what, Jongin? Don’t worry about us. I believe there would be the right time either of us will confess. Speaking of the right time, did you notice about what’s going on tomorrow?”

 

Of course Jongin knew. He did notice about the date; days, weeks and years. He had to take note, especially when it’s February 14th tomorrow. He wrote on the paper, drawing a smile when thinking about it.

 

‘Valentine’s Day, is it?’

 

Chanyeol brightened as if he avoided the confession topic. “Say, I got a call from a friend of mine, who’s currently training his juniors on a stage play on Valentine’s Day. They are going to rehearse for a whole day today and he asked me to come over, but I can’t go. I had to take care of Baekhyun. Sooo...”

 

Jongin heard Chanyeol sang playfully on the last line, and he knew Chanyeol was planning something on him. “I want you and Kyungsoo take over my place today. But not on Valentine’s Day, because they won’t allow outsiders to watch. Just pretend that you’re having a date with him. He needs a break.”

 

‘Just me and Kyungsoo-hyung?’

 

“Correct!” Chanyeol beamed.

 

Jongin didn’t hesitate to write, nor even make a second thought about it. ‘I take it. So where the rehearsal takes place?’

 

“Haha! I like your attitude today, Jongin. Where else? Our old college!”

 

 

27 hours later...

 

Jongin opened his eyes as he thought of himself that was he able to get some sleep. But apparently, he didn’t seem tired at all. Being an angel is like being an immortal. He didn’t do anything except for sticking beside with the loved one, making sure that Kyungsoo is secured under his arms. Jongin had again successfully protected him since yesterday. He was proud of himself and he wished he could keep doing the same in the future. Sometimes he had almost lost his control when Kyungsoo was in danger, ended up hurting himself. Kyungsoo told him not to worry much about him and even quoting ‘no pain, no gain’. A part of Jongin spoke to himself, he disagreed with him, but who is he to correct his beloved ‘hyung’?

 

His gaze turned to the surroundings. They’re apparently on the college roof, which recalled Jongin’s memories where he first found out that Kyungsoo was able to save a student, as well revealing his sight ability. As he was still leaning on the wall behind him, he turned his head to the sleeping older on his chest. Jongin drew a small smile, relieved that Kyungsoo was finally able to get a comfortable rest. He did remind him that Kyungsoo only got 3 hours sleep since yesterday. Perhaps he passed out after Jongin’s suggestion to lie down on the college roof.

 

Jongin moved his arms, but halted when Kyungsoo began to stir. However, Kyungsoo only snuggled on Jongin’s chest even closer. There’s no sight on Kyungsoo was going to waking up soon, so Jongin placed his arms gently around him. Jongin tried his best to give his warmth on Kyungsoo, as long he didn’t catch cold. He took a glimpse on the Snowy watch that Kyungsoo always wore on his wrist.

 

5 a.m.

 

Jongin should wake him up soon, but it seemed Kyungsoo could use to get enough sleep at the moment. He wasn’t sure how busy he could get later. One hour. Just one more hour, then he will decide whether to wake him up or he woke up by himself. Fortunately, after half an hour, Kyungsoo stirred once again before blinking his eyes open. Jongin quietly watching him as Kyungsoo tried to compose himself when he looked around. He sat up and rubbed his drowsy eyes and greeted his angel with a smile.

 

“Morning, Jongin.” Kyungsoo’s voice was soft as ever.

 

[“Morning, hyung. How are you? Are you cold?”]

 

“I’m fine. Thanks for asking.” Kyungsoo turned to his watch before he stretched his arms. “It’s still early.”

 

Jongin turned to the dark horizon, but he noticed the sky color had changed a little from an hour ago. [“It won’t be too long. I didn’t mean to be rude, but we should get out of here before the guards, or students find us here.”]

 

“You’re right. I didn’t expect I fell asleep here. It wasn’t my plan at all.” Kyungsoo pouted.

 

[“Nah, it’s okay. You were tired after all.”]

 

Both of them didn’t say a word after that as they took a minute or two of silence, especially Kyungsoo who was just awake. His mind was pretty much trying to make the gears working. Then first thing Kyungsoo did was taking out his cell phone, expecting at least one message, but he blinked his eyes wide as he received not one message.

 

’16 unread messages, 27 missed calls.’

 

“Jongin, why didn’t you wake me up?!” Kyungsoo whined as he read all the messages. They’re mostly from Chanyeol and Baekhyun. Only two of them from Jongdae.

 

[“How am I supposed to answer if they can’t even hear my voice?”] Jongin explained his point.

 

“At least, you could send them messages.”

 

[“Hyung. You were so tired. I can’t just snatch your phone and type out ‘He’s resting right now’. Besides, you slept like a baby, and didn’t even wake up from that ringing noise.”] Jongin saw the older sighed before he continued. [“Just reason to them that you’re here, on the roof, napping. I’m sure they will understand.”]

 

“Fine.” Kyungsoo let out a low groan before replaying the messages to them. Jongin kept watching before he slowly dropped his head on the older’s shoulder and hugged him.

 

[“By the way, happy Valentine’s Day, hyung. You mean so much to me.”]

 

Jongin said with a low voice before he gave a bump of his cheek against the older him. Kyungsoo didn’t reply back since he was busy typing the messages, but what Jongin saw was a smile on the corner of the older’s lips. At least that satisfied him than nothing.

 

 

“I see. So you and my brother were sleeping together on the roof. Is that what I’m getting?”

 

Kyungsoo’s seemed lost at the moment when Jongdae asked him. Jongin kept looking between Kyungsoo and Jongdae, before he gave a small nudge on the older to answer the question.

 

“Y--Yeah.” Kyungsoo took a short look at Jongin. “I was so tired from sufficient rest, so I ended up sleeping there.”

 

Jongdae shrugged. “Okay.”

 

Kyungsoo blinked once, twice, before he asked. “Are you not mad at me?”

 

“No. Why would I?” Jongdae made a small pause before he gasped lightly. “Unless that you’re ing--“

 

“No!! Jongdae, I swear to god! I would never--! Why would you think about that?!” Kyungsoo protested strictly and his face was as red as a tomato.

 

Please log in to read the full chapter