On Christmas Eve...

A Hotpot to Share
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hongbin wraps his coat tighter to his body, seeking all the warmth he could get from the material. It was unusually cold this night. As he returns to his home after the long hours at the small firm he works for, he counts the change in his pocket and sighs. He was short of a couple of dollars to buy himself some decent food for the evening. This means that he will have to endure another evening without food. This wasn't even the first time it happened. There have been other days where he couldn't even afford to buy a cracker or anything  to put in his belly.

Even with a paying job, the money he earned wasn't always enough to sustain his needs. His apartment was expensive even though it was considered the cheapest from all the apartments he checked and at the same time, a close distance to his work. That alone was a major deal breaker. Until he could find a better paying job, he was stuck with enduring a couple of nights with an empty stomach.

Being a clerk doesn't pay much as he hoped it would, but it was better than nothing. He couldn't let go of the job to find a better one because it was hard to find jobs he was qualified for. All the other jobs he applied for considered him inadequate. Also, one of the reasons why he stayed in his job was because the company was kind enough to provide free lunch. That meant he had lesser days to go hungry.

Tonight though he really wished that enough money even for a simple meal. After all, it's Christmas. Other people were enjoying a full meal with their loved ones, while he has to go without.

His stomach growled at the thought of home where there would be a table filled of food and his relatives getting together for the special occasion. Another sigh went out of his lips. He wished he could go back to his hometown and taste his mother's cooking, but he got his job only a couple of months ago. It wouldn't look on his performance to ask for a vacation so early. Plus, application for vacation days especially during the Christmas season has long been applied for before he even got hired.

Hongbin rubbed his grumbling belly and frowned at it. "You should be used to it by now." He talked to his own body as if it would talk back to him.

His own body replied with another protesting growl, demanding, nourishment his body clearly needed. Hongbin has only been in the city for a short time but his weight drastically dropped, making his clothes a lot bigger than it used to.

He shook his head and patted his middle. "You don't need to remind me. But you know how it is... no food 'til tomorrow and I can't do nothing about it."

The short walk to his apartment felt longer than usual especially with an empty stomach. Everywhere he looked, his eyes would trail on food and he had to force himself to look away. He had to. Looking at the delectable food served would only remind him of how hungry and broke he was.

From the months he had stayed in the apartment, the unit was still almost bare. Only the basic necessities like the bed, electric fan, a small fridge, and other appliances were installed. The young male didn't even have a television but survived enough with his laptop and his phone.

He hang his coat immediately as soon as he came in. The cold outside seemed to seep into his skin and he can't wait to warm up. Since he doesn't have anything other than a electronic kettle and a warm bath, he opted for a bath. Hongbin didn't want to prolong the torture of his hungry. Turning in early seemed to be the best choice. The sooner he sleeps, the faster he would see the day end. That meant he could eat sooner at the office.

As the tall male expected, the warm bath did help. For a moment, he forgot about the emptiness of his stomach and eased the aches of his tired body. The heated water helped erase the cold weather that had everyone searching for something warm. And just like those people he sought something warm, which is a bath.

He smiled at the small comfort that he received from washing up. Wearing a comfortable sweater as he head for bed, he no longer felt frustrated at the lack of food. His eyes felt droopy and he could almost get to sleep until he noticed his bedroom felt cold. Too cold.

Hongbin turned his head to look around. His windows were shut and nothing seems to be out of the ordinary. That's when he decided to check the apartment heater. "! This isn't happening…." A curse went out of his throat before he could even stop it. It was broken and for sure no one in their right mind would fix it tonight if he calls for someone from maintenance.

It was Christmas.

Hongbin just couldn't have a break from his misfortunes. He let his head hit the wall with a thump. The coldness of winter had his body shivering and at the same time his stomach reminded him of how badly he wanted to eat. At this point he wanted to cry.

He's hungry and cold.

No money and a broken heater.

Life was such a . This was the worst Christmas of his life.

Being miserable on such a well-celebrated occasion had him thinking whether moving in this city was the best decision. He was starting to regret leaving his parents in his hometown.

He was on the verge of tears when the sound of his doorbell interrupted him from his gloomy thoughts. Feeling bad at his own situation, he didn't move from his spot, ignoring the first and second ring of his doorbell. He thought whoever was on his front door would leave if he doesn't answer, but the person was pretty persistent.

He lazily walked over to the door and opened it with a frown. Hongbin was in no mood to be nice considering the night he was having.

His neighbor greeted him with an expression that says that the blank look was his normal expression. "Hi." The male raised his hand in greeting. His voice was almost a whisper, telling Hongbin that the male was probably shy and took lengths to approach him.

"Uh… hello?" Hongbin replied with an unsure tone. He was really confused as to why this man was ringing his apartment. They were virtually strangers. He remembered the man's face only because in the morning, he would coincidentally go out to work with him not far from him.

They stood awkwardly in front of each other before the taller male, Hongbin's neighbour spoke softly. "Hi again. Uh, I'm Leo and I live just a couple of units away." He pointed to his right, where his unit was located before continuing. “I-uh have this dinner party with the some neighbours and I-uh... want to invite you.… if you want.”

Hongbin stared at Leo for a long minute wondering whether the invitation was a joke. The taller man's expression told him that Leo was not the type to make jokes. That knowledge alone brought an improvement to his evening.

The owner of the cold apartment weighted the pros and cons of his neighbor's offer. He had to admit to himself that the man's offer was like a gift from God.

With a broken heater and empty fridge, the invitation was surely tempting. He would really love to join but felt like he was going to impose on his neighbor. Also, he still didn't feel like talking to other people. There was a large chance that he might cry and make an embarrassment of himself. Hongbin breathed in out slowly before he spoke.

"I'm really sorry but I can't." He shivered at the cold seeping under his skin, wrapping his arm tighter around himself. "Merry Christmas though." He added, feeling a little bit sorry for not saying yes.

Without waiting for his neighbor to reply, he closed his apartment door.  The freezing male ignored the guilt he was feeling and went to his dresser for warmer clothes. Since he couldn't do anything about the broken heater, he had to do something so that he won't

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter