fall, everything.

clearing skies and tear-stained goodbyes

 

Deep breaths, muffled sobs, air so cold the tips of their fingers shiver, the hair on their necks stand. Stained cheeks, bleeding lips, heads hung low like the clouds above them; even angels weep for the occasion. His suit black, like coal, like his soul, like his world for the years to come - and everyone around him wears the color. 

The creaking of the machine, the splatter of holy water, the box going down six feet under and he calls it that because he refuses to call it as it is. Red eyes, runny noses, handkerchiefs being used. 

He offers one to the girl beside him and she takes it with both hands shaking, and everyone knows it's not from the cold nor from the soft drizzle of the rain that's beginning to soak through the different hats and coats, including his and her's.

His feet is planted firmly to the damp grass and the bodies that once pressed against his sides moments ago were no longer there. Twilight comes and the rain doesn't stop and the ground beneath him is still and calm unlike his mind that races through different thoughts but he's unable to grab one and hold onto it. 

His mind is in pieces, like his heart, like his life, like his whole being.

They took to the shelter, and he's still there, he's the only breathing the rain-scented air. He and the girl that's still shivering beside him. He takes off his coat and it's heavy against his hands because it's already wet, and damp is not a word to describe it anymore. His hands slide over her shoulders and the coat drops soundlessly. 

"Han -" his name threatens to escape from her lips, but she can't seem to finish it. Her face is half covered by her wet hair that's sticking onto her skin, her hands are already on the coat, bringing it closer to her chest.

He tries for a smile. It comes off as pained and crooked. "See you later." he turns on his heel and walks the other way and she wants to stop him but she can't, not now. His feet continues to make contact with the wet grass as he walks in the direction she's not willing to follow him to. He doesn't look back, not even when she finally says his name and a tear slips from the corner of her eye, down her cheek, to her neck before dropping like the raindrops that continue to pour above her.