The Day After The Storm

We are Dating...?

Ah-young’s POV

 

I woke up from distress as the ray of light shone upon my face. As I got up, I rubbed my eyes and checked what time it is- it was six in the morning.

 

Oh, right. I should reheat mom’s beef noodles soup.

 

I tied my hair into a messy bun and proceeded to wash my face and brush my teeth. As soon as I was finished, I went to the kitchen and took out the soup from the fridge. I put the soup on the microwave and set the timer to 7 minutes. 

 

Hmmm. I should make breakfast, I guess.

 

I started to take out three eggs from the fridge. I cracked them and started to beat it. As I was beating the eggs, the front door opened. It was Jaebum. His guitar was on his back and as I looked at his eyes, he seemed tired.

 

“Oh, where did you go?” I asked in an instant.

 

“A friend of mine offered me to go on a gig. Can’t refuse it, though.”  He replied.

 

“I’m making breakfast right now, will you wait for it-“

 

“Just leave some for me. I’ll go rest first.” He answered as he walked towards his room like a zombie.

 

O-kay…?

“Your eyes look puffy. Did something happened?” He was about to open the door when he suddenly asked me. I looked down, continued to beat the eggs, pretending I didn’t hear him.

 

, Ahyoung-ah, did something happen?” He asked again, this time with a stern voice.

 

-없어... I was just tired, I guess. Maybe… maybe my eyes were bloated? Ha ha~”

 

THAT WAS THE WORST EXCUSE EVER, AH-YOUNG KIM.

[(Yah) = Hey]

[-없어... (eo-eobseo...) = N-nothing...]

 

He proceeded to his room.

 

I released a sigh of relief as soon as he was in his room. When I was finished making scrambled eggs and fried rice, I placed them on the table. I quickly took a bowl and took some for Jaebum. I slightly added more rice and egg for him- I guess he needs it. I covered the bowl with a plate and then woke up mom for breakfast.

 

“And here’s beef noodles soup for you!” I said cheerfully as I placed the bowl of soup in front of her. “고마워, 아영.” She said as she took a spoonful of soup.” Where’s Jaebum by the way?” “He’s still asleep. He just came home this morning.” As I said those words, my mom suddenly looked down.

[고마워아영 (gomawo, Ah-young) = Thank you, Ah-young]

 

미안하다, 아영,” Mom blurted out. “You work just because because of me. I’m sorry that I can’t do anything for you-“ I interrupted mom.  “아니요, 괜찮아.We have to. And you’ve worked hard for the both of us just for us to finish school. From now on, we’re gonna be the one taking care of you, okay?” I said to her as I held her right palm. “You know, when your father died, things have been not that great for us. As soon as your brother graduated from high school, he quickly searched for jobs for us. But now that you also work with your brother, it’s just so hard for me to see that you too are suffering.” My mother almost broke into tears as she said those words.

 

[미안하다, 아영 (Mianhada, Ah-young) = Forgive me, Ah-young]

[아니요, 괜찮아 (Aniyo, gwaenchana.) = No, it's okay.]

 

 

It has been almost five years since my father died of heart attack. Jaebum was on his last year of high school while I was on my tenth grade. It was hard for us, mentally, and financially. Since dad was gone, mom had to find a job just for her to support our needs. Although she was emotionally hurt, she set aside her feelings just for the sake of us. She kept working every day, to the point that we can’t even get the chance to see her every morning before we go to school and every night before we sleep. Until one day, my mother was hospitalized because of osteoporosis. It was even harder for us to bear. As soon as Jaebum graduated, he searched for any kind of job that he can get into. Even on dawn, he works, just like what he just attended to earlier. After I graduated from high school, I also need to work because Jaebum’s earnings weren’t enough to sustain us, and also mom’s medication.

 

 

-----

 

After we ate breakfast, I took a bath. As I got out of the bathroom, my phone beeped. I checked and saw that it was a notification from Baro’s Instagram account. 아이씨, I forgot that I the notifications for him. I checked it and saw a photo of him and a guy. Based from the background, it looks like it was taken last night. They were smiling. Baro had a thumbs-up pose while his friend just simply smiled. And on the caption it said: “A new beginning. Thanks for the help. :)”

 

[아이씨 (Aish) = Used to express frustration]

 

Ugh. Probably that guy helped him on breaking up on me.

 

Psh. Whatever. Why do I even care about him? We’re over.

 

Suddenly, the door opened.

 

! How dare you come into my room!? Don’t you know I just took a bath!?” I said to Jaebum, shocked from what happened.

 

, How would I even know you took a bath? Do I have supersonic ears?” He said, pointing to his ears. I rolled my eyes in reply. “Hey, do you want to grab some coffee? I can’t sleep so I thought why not just go grab a drink and have some chit-chat with my sis,” He smirked. “You wait there.” I replied, acting annoyed.  Then he left the room.

 

When I was finished dressing up, we both left with his motorcycle

[야 (Yah) = Hey]

 

 

-----

 

As we got to the café, Jaebum poked me.

“Just wait here, okay? I’ll go to the restroom first.” He said and I nodded. As I was waiting a few meters away from the counter, I looked around the place- it was a modern-styled café though. You know, the typical combination of black and white furniture and stuff. As my eyes landed onto a line of customers at the first counter, it stopped on a guy- a handsome one. Fair-skinned, pretty tall, maybe 5”9, good face features and oh that eyes-

 

Wait.

 

His eyes look familiar though. It’s like I’ve seen him somewhere.

 

As our eyes met, he quickly shifted away from my gaze, obviously trying to avoid me. Then as he looked cautiously at me once again, that’s when I finally realized-

 

It was Baro’s friend.

 

----

 

------------------------------

Author's Note: 

Ta-dah. ohmygodstabme   So here's the second chapter

for you guys! Hope you liked it. Don't forget to comment, vote, and

subscribe to my story! I'd really appreciate it. 

Thanks for reading! 

------------------------------