THE DANCE PART 1

A New Kind of Love

 

so sorry if the photos look weird. i'm learning to use photobucket for the first time 
 
5 Hours Before the Dance
 
"I'm just saying, Tiff. If I'm gonna dress as a girl I should at least have a say in what I wear." We were at Tiffany's dorm. She was helping me dress up for the dance. So far she's got me wearing hair extensions rather than a wig, since a wig would fall off, which wasn't so bad. 
Key hair extensions:
 
But she's trying to dress me up in all pink - pink lipstick, dress, makeup, pink heels - everything PINK. Basically, she's a pinkaholic. 
 
She groaned. "All right. You can choose your dress. But leave the makeup to me. You have to be unrecognizable."
 
"But who has the higher grade in art?" I eyed her. 
 
She glared at me. "That doesn't matter. If you do it on yourself you can always recognize yourself. You have to be unrecognizable to others."
 
She kinda had a point. Plus, I do have a tendency to overdose on makeup. "Fine. Just please don't go overboard."
 
"I'll do what I can Gwiboon."
 
I was caught off guard. "Kwi- What did you just call me?"
 
"If we're gonna make this work you have to get used to a new identity. From now until this thing's over, your name is Kim Gwiboon. And just say you go to the same school as Taeyeon."
 
"You mean Taecyeon." a voice from outside said. It wasn't a question. It was a correction. Tiffany turned around and faced Taeyeon (rather, her boyfriend Taecyeon).
 
Taeyeon was decked out in a full on tux and a short black wig. She walked up to Tiffany with her hands in her pockets. 
 
"Taeyeon..." It was obvious Tiffany was dumbfounded. "What... Why did you..."
 
"I felt bad that Key had to crossdress and I know that you love wearing heels so... here I am. Besides..." She walked closer and wrapped her arms around Tiffany's neck. "... Even if we go there as two friends holding hands, I can't hold you. I can't kiss you, and I can't call you mine."
 
Tiffany blushed. "Aww baby~ I love you."
 
Taeyeon giggled and kissed her cheek. It was a really happy sight for me. 
 
"Guys, I don't mean to ruin the mood but can we get back to me?" I really hated to interrupt since it was such a sweet moment for them. I certainly wouldn't want someone to interrupt a moment like that between me and Minho. 
 
Tiffany turned back toward me. "Alright. Let's decide what to wear first and then base your makeup off of that."
 
"Fair enough."
 
"Ok then. First thing's first." She went over and pulled out a rack with different dresses on them. "Which one would you like?"
 
****MINHO****
 
One hour before the dance
 
I couldn't stand waiting. I redid my tie for the nth time. I anxiously checked my phone and paced around the room. Key hadn't texted me ever since I last saw him at lunch. Did he forget about the plan? No way, everyone was talking about it all throughout the day. How could he forget? Maybe he decided to bail? No, he wouldn't do that...
 
I heard a knock on my dorm door. "It's open." I really didn't feel like walking up to the door to answer it. 
 
A woman entered the room. She was decked out in  a black dress and black heels. 
 
"Who are you?" I asked. 
 
She didn't say anything. Her face was expressionless. She slowly walked closer to me. I gotta be honest: I love Key, don't get me wrong, but this girl was pretty damn attractive. 
 
"Can I help you?" She continued walking closer. "Are you looking for someone? If it's Key, he's not here right now. 
 
She raised one of her eyebrows. "Yah Choi Minho." Wait, that voice... "Is it really that hard to recognize your own boyfriend?"
 
I gasped. Key? This woman was KEY? That explains why she looked so damn hot. 
 
"Kibum?!" My boyfriend finally smiled like he usually does. I walked over to him. 
 
"Actually," Tiffany entered the room behind him. She wore a red dress that went to her knees. "For tonight she's Kim Gwiboon."
 
I couldn't take my eyes off of Key... I mean Gwiboon. He looked so... different. Obviously he had to be unrecognizable but I didn't think he'd actually be able to pull it off. Man, Key can pull off anything. 
 
"So? What do you think?" Key asked, fluttering his thick (cuz of the heavy makeup probably) eyelashes. 
 
I was still speechless. "I- I- I love it! You look beautiful! I mean, you always looked beautiful but you look great! I can't believe you did all this for me!"
 
"I love you. Why wouldn't I do this?" He hugged me and peck me sweetly on the cheek. 
 
"Awww you guys are adorable. But we gotta get going." Tiffany said. I almost forgot she was here. 
 
"Where's Taeyeon?"
 
"You mean Taecyeon." Key corrected. 
 
"Come again?"
 
At that point some other guy entered the room and stood next to Tiffany. "When are we gonna leave?"
 
"Woahhhh." My eyes widened. "Tae- Taecyeon?"
 
"Hi Minho. Let's go guys. I don't wanna show up late."
 
Key and I linked arms and we headed out. 
 
(Kim Gwiboon)
 
Tiffany's outfit 
 
Minho
 
****KEY****
 
The dance was being held in the school's second gym. It turned out better than I expected. There were faculty members here and there, some even chatting with the students. And there was this long table with refreshments and snacks and all that. There was this huge disco ball hanging from the center of the ceiling. It was actually pretty gorgeous, considering this was all happening in a gym of all places. 
 
Minho and I walked arm in arm into the gym. Tiffany and Taeyeon followed us holding hands. We walked further in when Nicole greeted us. 
 
"Aishh Minho why do you look so good in everything?" Minho smiled. I glared at him. I couldn't stand how handsome he was. "Where's Key?"
 
She didn't sound like she was joking. "You're looking at her." Minho presented me to her. 
 
Her reaction was priceless! She left agape. "Key!?"
 
"Actually it's Gwiboon for tonight, mind you." 
 
"Heol. How in the world..."
 
"I told you I was crossdressing tonight."
 
"I thought you were kidding! But this? I mean obviously you look amazing but... WOW. I almost didn't recognize you!"
 
I feigned shock. "Almost? You didn't recognize me at all!" I dramatically placed my hand on my chest. "I feel offended. My own best friend didn't recognize me!" I could hear Minho, Taeyeon and Tiffany trying to hide their laughter. "You know I love you." She smiled widely. 
 
We mainly danced near the refreshments since the music was so loud (plus it was free food. Free food is always good:P). It was actually pretty fun.  Minho got to spin me around a bit and we held hands most of the time. I felt really comfortable being with him in this atmosphere. At one point some taller guys - whom I recognized as his teammates - came over to see Minho. I recognized one of them as Haneul. 
 
"Lookin suave, Choi."
 
Minho smoothly replied, "You guys don't look bad yourselves. Where are your dates?"
 
"They're in the ladies' room. Speaking of dates," One of them eyed me. "Who's this lovely lady?" Surprisingly smooth. Not as creepy as I thought they would be. 
 
Minho wrapped his arm around my shoulder. "Guys, this is my-" he paused for a sec, looking for the right word. "my date, Kim Gwiboon."
 
One of the guys took my hand. "Shim Changmin." He smiled seductively and kissed the back of my hand. I was internally laughing at the corniness, but I managed to hold it in. 
 
"Such a gentleman~." I kinda blushed. I felt Minho's jealous eyes staring me down. 
 
Haneul interrupted our 'moment'. "Yah Changmin-ah, you've got your date here. Don't go messin' around with other girls."
 
Changmin showed a look of disgust. "What are you talking about? I'm just... being polite, that's all." I think I could see him eyeing my chest.
 
"Sure you are. Next you'll be kissin' her all 'I'm just being nice' and then you'll be ing her like it's no one's business-"
 
"Dude, shut up."
 
"And then you'll let them go. Like you did with Choi's last girl." What? What happened? Minho had a girlfriend? I looked at Minho with confusion. I realized that we haven't actually talked about our past dating experiences. Except for the one with me and Soyeon. 
 
A different teammate spoke now. "Yah Minho, how about you hang with us for a bit?"
 
Minho looked confident in his reply, "No thanks. I'm gonna stay-"
 
"It's fine." I interrupted. I looked over at Minho. "You can go. I'll be fine." Minho looked uncertain. But it was too late for him because the other members were already pulling him away. 
 
As upset as I was, I let it go and spent time with Nicole. We danced around a bit and ate and talked. We couldn't find either Taeyeon or Tiffany. I couldn't stop thinking about what the other guys said. "It happened with Choi's last girl"? Did I hear that wrong? Was he referring to Minho or Changmin? Seriously who did Minho date before me?
 
My thoughts were interrupted by a gentle but firm hand landing on my shoulder. "There's my two favorite dongsaengs!"
 
Nicole and I turned around. "Hyung!?" I exclaimed. Worried that someone heard me, I quietted down. "What are you doing here?"
 
"School dances are the best! And you guys are here so why wouldn't I come?"
 
We all engaged in a group hug. Hyung brushed my hair, reminding me I was in disguise. I pulled back. "Wait, Hyung, you can recognize me??"
 
"I've known you for years, Kibum, why wouldn't I recognize you?" Nicole laughed modestly and I glared at her. So fake, Nicole is (jk :P). "Anyway, what's the getup for?"
 
I hesitated. It occurred to me that I hadn't talked to Hyung ever since he left. I hadn't told him about me and Minho. Well, he doesn't seem like the person to care about same- relationships. In fact, he's kind of an LGBTQ activist at times. A while ago he openly supported this trans person who spoke out against a college or something. Still, I felt a bit uneasy admitting to someone else I was dating a guy. I didn't have to with Nicole, cuz she knew. None of my other friends knew, and taeyeon and Tiff already knew when I first met them. 
 
I took a deep breath. "I'm dating someone but we could only come here if I was... dressed up like this."
 
"Is it Minho?"
 
I raised my eyebrows. How did he know? "Yea. How did you..."
 
"You had to be dating a guy if you were gonna dress like this in public. Besides, I know he's got the hots for you."
 
Now I was even more confused. I know Minho loves me but how would Hyung know? "What makes you say that?"
 
He let out a deep sigh. "Before I left I went to buy your sneakers and I met Minho at the store. He kept asking questions about you. I figured he liked you. Also from the way he was looking at you that night we had dinner."
 
"So, you're saying Minho liked me then?"
 
"Wasn't it obvious? I even asked him if he liked you and he said no. But you know how people lie like that when they're in love." My heart warmed up inside. So ever since that night he liked me. 
 
"So Kibum-ah, you wanna dance with me?" He asked, flashing his playful smile. 
 
"Actually I'm gonna go to the restroom first. I'll be back." I left Hyung and Nicole and went into the hallway where the bathrooms were, lost in my thoughts. Tiffany and Taeyeon came out of the ladies' bathroom, giggling and holding hands. "What's so funny?"
 
"Oh nothing~" Tiffany giggled. I noticed her hair was messed up and Taeyeon's pants were undone. I figured they boned. 
 
Taeyeon finally stopped giggling. "Where's Minho?" 
 
"He's inside with his teammates."
 
"Kibum-ah, don't worry." She walked over to me. Why would I worry? Was it really that obvious? She put a reassuring hand on my shoulder. "Minho loves you. You're worrying over nothing."
 
"What?? Me? Worried?? About Minho?? Please. He's my boyfriend and he loves me. What makes you think I'm worried?"
 
"I can see it in your face." My fake smile disappeared. "You yourself said that Minho loves you. So why are you worried?"
 
I couldn't hide it. "I don't know. It's just, when I see him with his teammates I feel a bit odd. I'm nothing like the guys he hangs out with or the girls he's dated."
 
Tiffany joined in. "Oh come on Key. Minho loves you to death. When we first met him on the double date you were the only thing on his mind. He said he couldn't date us cuz he had you. And after that you're all he ever talks about in our chats."
 
My heart grew warmer. "Minho talks about me?"
 
"Of course he does! He keeps saying your the love of his life and he's lucky to have you. He goes on and on and on and ON about you! About how cute you are, how funny you are, how happy you make him-"
 
"Tiff," Taeyeon barged in. "I think we get it." She turned back toward me. "As I said, you have nothing to worry about. Now can we go back inside?"
 
I chuckled. They were clearly getting annoyed. "You guys can go in. I'll join you two later."
 
"Suit yourself." The two held hands and then they were gone. 
 
So Minho clearly loves me. That's not even a question. I mean he really loves me. I couldn't help but blush and smile like an idiot in his own world. That guy could make me do things no one else could do. I impulsively strolled to the men's room when someone opened the door and bumped into me. 
 
"Sorry!" he said. We both stepped back. I realized it was Taemin who came out. 
 
"No, it's my fault. Sorry." Wait. I'm a girl! I'm supposed to go to the ladies' room! I quickly walked past him. 
 
"Wait!" I turned around. "What's your name?"
 
I pointed at myself. "My name?" He nodded. I nervously replied, "K-Kim Gwiboon. Why?"
 
"I- I thought I recognized you. You don't go here do you?"
 
I quickly shook my head. "No. I go to Seoul Arts High School."
 
"Oh. You know if you're not busy next weekend-"
 
"I- I have a boyfriend!" It slipped right out of my mouth. 
 
He chuckled. "I was just about to say if you're not busy you can watch me perform." Eh? "There's a talent show next week. I'm gonna dance. You should come."
 
"Ohhh ok. Thanks. Bye now." I ran into the ladies' room.