And This Was How It Ended.

Peter Pan And The Girl He Loves

Taehyung should not have asked her to leave with him that night. He should not have pulled her out of the window and into the brilliant night sky. He should not have thrwarted her into his world as if she was going to stay forever. He should have known beautiful things like her never last forever, he should have never been foolish enough to believe she could be ethereal. 

 

Because this is how it is now. She has grown older, taller, wiser... even more beautiful than she was before, if that was even possible. She has longer hair now, a refined voice, a woman's body. She also has a family: 2 children, a loving husband and a pet dog. She lives in the same house, but now with her own growing family. She goes to work in the morning, come back home in the evening and sleeps in the warm chest of the man she happily married. 

 

And this is how it is now for Taehyung: he has bigger feet, bigger hands, grown a ton taller... but not any older. He was still the same boy he was when he first met Maya and it broke his little heart, whatever left of it that was not already ruined and broken beyond repair. He watches over her, not sure what to do with his infinite time, hold back whenever she made mistake and hurts herself (which takes a whole lot of his self-discipline, you would not believe the number of times Taehyung wanted to just whizz into Maya's life and do a superman act in front of her). 

 

Tonight, like every other night, Taehyung watched Maya tuck in her children in bed. He watches her kiss their cheek and sing them a lullaby, in her voice that he had always loved, crazily. He watched her walk out the room. He was sure she would head straight into the room she shares with her husband but strangely tonight, she does something different. She climbed up the ladder to the attic. Taehyung, enthralled, followed her, watching her from outside the small window.

 

She entered the space and before the stuffiness could block her nose entirely, Maya headed straight for the window, opening it wide for ventilation. The bright moon shone into the small space and Maya pulled out a box and opened it. She took out a small diary and read it with confusion written all over her face. She had read it over and over, but it made no sense. 14 year old her had written it, filled it with crazy fantasies of flying boys and faraway dream lands. It did not make sense but it made her heart hurt. She should not read it considering how much it made her chest sore but it brought back a nostalgia she could not really decipher.

 

Taehyung watched her for as long as he dared. She always came up here to read the diary when her husband isn't around. She would sneak into the room quietly, sit silently and read it page to page, eyes filled with question and by the end of it, it will pool with tears that she could not understand. Taehyung wanted to fly down to her, wiped her tears, tell her how sorry he was to have to make her forget... him and the nights they spent ruling the world together. Tonight, it took all of him to latch on to the outside and to just watch her life as a stranger.

 

He reached out to her, far from her sight, his fingers were holding her in between his fingers. His view was perfect. She was in front of him, reading about their journeys, their fights and victories, all of which she couldn't remember but all of it she could still feel. The tears in her eyes told him her body remembers their time together and for Taehyung it was enough. Even if she could not remember him or his name, how he looked like, how they flew across the skies together, it was enough for him like this. It satisfied him enough to see her reminiscing him from time to time and even if it had to stay like this forever, he would not mind it.

 

Then it happened. It was a mere second, it happened without warning and Taehyung could have just missed it but he did not.

 

Maya looked out the window and her eyes locked with Taehyung for a whole second before Taehyung realised it and hid himself. In that moment when he hid he managed to catch her saying the only thing that will keep him going for forever. The moment she saw him, he could swear, he heard her voice call out "Taehyung". It took every bit of him to run away from her side and to hide where she could not see.

 

She had ran right to the windowsill, eyes scouring for what she believed she saw. A familiar face, outside the window. A face that matches the name that she had read over and over in the diary that belonged to the 14 year old her who owned the world's most imaginative mind. But when she realized that she was way high above ground, Maya laughed sadly to herself. She must either be getting to old or she's losing her mind. 

 

Maya placed the book back in the box, and headed back down the ladder of the attic and into her room, quite sure that she was too tired and a good night's sleep will fix it for her.

 

Taehyung, now cowering out of his hiding place, watched the familiar back of the woman he will always love. She's older, taller and wiser but to him she was just the same. She was the clumsy girl who tripped on everything, got high off flying, kissed him every time he made her smile. 

 

Taehyung should not have asked her to leave with him that night. He should not have pulled her out of the window and into the brilliant night sky. He should not have thrwarted her into his world as if she was going to stay forever. He should have known beautiful things like her never last forever, he should have never been foolish enough to believe she could be ethereal. 

 

But he did it and he couldn't regret it. He will hurt over and over, lifetimes after lifetimes if it meant having met her, if it meant for a moment in time, their paths in life overlapped and in that moment, it felt like forever.