Chen: Defying the Storm

Exo Fanfic Gems (plus other fandom pearls)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
  Defying the Storm Ongoing Defying the Storm AUTHOR: zan8901
LEAD: Chen
GENRE; SETTING: fantasy; mamaverse
CHAPTERS: 22, as of 17/01/2017
READER INFORMATION: None  

After living in the West for most of his life, Kim Jongdae fids that things are starting to change.  His best friend and teacher, Sir Yesung, a wealthy man who was one in poverty has left for the East, and his mother has come down with a terrible illness, leaving her weak and unable to work.  Not to mention that they don't have any food or water, and their shelter is more-or-less being eaten by termites.

However, after meeting a woman Jongdae likes to call the witch, becoming acquainted with a talking rock named Jiyoung and witnessing a bombing set by the Council, he realizes that the society he has been brought up in is much more twisted than he originally thought.  He now has to go on a journey with his rock friend to find eleven other men with supernatural abilities, so all twelve of them can join forces and finally bring peace to the system.

The problem is, Jongdae doesn't possess these abilities he is supposed to have, nor does he necessarily want them.

thoughts PLOT: I can't remember exactly when I found this, but I've had it on my to-recommend list for a long time, and the author is an absolute darling.  I might be a bit hazy on recalling some of the earlier details of this fic since I read the earliest chapters quite a while back, but oh well.

The setting for this fic seems sort of... semi-dystopian or something?  Like, a combination between that and contemporary fantasy plus modern things like fridges and cars.  Jongdae's family is dirt poor; his dad's out of the picture while his mum is extremely ill; his friend and mentor, Sir Yesung, has just upped and left; and Jongdae has a host of other problems to deal with on top of that, including no work, not enough coupons for food, and then he gets framed for wholesale murder and destruction with a massive bounty slapped on his head, and he has to run for his life, following the advice of a talking rock (and no, he doesn't find that totally normal to begin with either).  The rock is actually the soul/avatar of a young sorceress called Jiyoung, who's been trapped for centuries and who is convinced that Jongdae has some kind of super powerful magic and that in order to defeat the evil people running the world, he needs to collect eleven other young men with similar kinds of powers.

There are a number of issues with this:
1) Jongdae thinks she's talking complete and utter bullsh*t
2) The entire world thinks he's a dangerous criminal that ought to be killed on sight
3) He has no idea where to even start with this
4) He doesn't have powers (and if he does, then he certainly can't control them)
5) He does have powers and he's absolutely terrified of using them and they're in danger of consuming him because he definitely does not have control over them whatsoever

There are other problems, too, like the fact that most ordinary people are terrified of magic and you're likely to get ostracised if you're found to have it, which doesn't make it any easier to find the people he needs, and the bad guys and just civilians in general often catch on and there are several very hairy escapes
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter