Chapter 2

The Shadow Hunter Life

“______?” “______?” You felt your senses jump back in again when a hand tapped your shoulder, an extremely warm hand which meant either this person had spent the last few hours with their hand in an oven or they were a downworlder “_____? It’s me Ashlee, open your eyes” ‘Ashlee?’  You tried to use whatever energy you had from your sleep to open your eyes “Ash” you smiled and tried to move “What are you doing stay still” her eyes were stern “I need to stand up” you pushed yourself up with the help of the wall behind you and let your body rest against it “What the hell are you doing in this part of town? What if another pack found you?” “I’m a Shadowhunter remember? They can’t touch me, well they can if they want to end up incapacitated or killed” you smirked “Would you kill of wolf?” “If it was in self-defence then yes, otherwise I have no reason to, I’m here to protect both the mundanes and you guys from demons, only and that is only if they attack me first then I’ll protect myself otherwise it’s not worth it” she simply nodded “But what are you doing here anyway, and what’s with that nasty stench coming from you, it smells…of death” she crinkled her nose and you pointed up at the window that was missing almost all of its glass “You……YOU FELL FROM THERE?” She yelled and you pinned her against the wall “Shh, yes I did now who was the one going on about other packs finding me?” you raised an eyebrow “If you keep shouting like that you’ll bring them to me and I’d rather not have to deal with them thank you” you let her go “But where’s Chase? He should be there to help you” she adjusted her clothes which you made a few wrinkles in “In the Shadowhunter city, he told me I’m not allowed to go there yet” “Why?” “I don’t know Ash he didn’t tell me, but it does seem strange without him breathing down my neck constantly” You frowned at the thought “What demon is strong enough to push you out of a window?” she mumbled to herself and you chuckled “What?” she pouted and it only made your chuckles louder, you had never been a pouter, you weren’t a big fan of the expression “I jumped out of the window” “J-jumped?” she stuttered “Well sort of, I jumped then fell and got the demon at the same time” a smile stretched across your face, it sounded cool in your head and even cooler when you said it out loud ““Why are you smiling? You could’ve died” Ashlee pouted and you exhaled “I know Ash I know but it wasn’t like I had any other choice” you shook your head "If I didn't throw myself out of that window when i did I wouldn't of escaped, instead i'd be churned up by my worst nightmare" a small tired sigh escaped your lips, you were still feeling the effects of the rune you used to heal your wounds "W-what are you doing?" this time you were the one stuttering as she placed one of her warm hands against your forehead "You have a fever" she pouted once again "I'm not sick" you grumbled "Are you sure?" "I'm certain, it was just the rune i used to heal my injuries, no pain no gain right?" you smiled "______ Raven-Wain!!" A loud, noisy and recognisable voice yelled in the distance "Oh no" both you and Ashlee muttered at the same time as you looked up to see James approaching.

 

"What are you doing here?" He sighed as he stopped in front of you, his beard had grown quite a lot since the last time you saw him, which was only a week ago but you knew the hair growth was a 'wolf thing' "There are demons?" you shook your head "Were..." you corrected him "I got it!" you pointed to the window "Miss Raven-Wain you are one stupid girl" his voice was stern but he was smiling, you hated it when he did that to you "Like I just told Ash, It wasn't exactly something I could avoid, it was jump out the window and take the advantage of the Drevark being completely and totally dumb enough to follow me, which gave me enough time to get it in the heart, or stand and think about Daisies and wait for it to eat me" a small laugh surrounded the end of your sentence "Hmm, let's get you back home" "Home? It's a five mile walk back to the Institute" you whined "Our home, not yours" this time he was the one correcting you "You're home? I'm sorry James but half of your pack hate me, they'll try to eat me alive" you frowned "They won't because I am alpha and you are my family just like Ashlee is" he took your hand in his as if he knew how much your feet were aching "We have some new kids in the pack" Ashlee took your other hand "New kids? Like kid kids? Or new kids which are actually fully grown adults who turn into huge fang bearing wolves?" "The second one" James laughed "Where'd you find them?" "Well actually we all connected after that fight at the park i was telling you about?" "Oh" was all you could say "How many new 'kids' are there?" "Twelve, they're all very disciplined which is nice for a change" he smiled a smile that said he was proud "Do they know about us hunters?" "I don't know, if they don't I’ll be sure to tell them" "Yeah please do" you laughed "I don't want another situation like the last time" "What situation?" This time Ashlee asked "Oh basically we were out on routine patrol and we were attacked by a group of wolves who thought we were there to harm them, not protect them" You shook your head at the thought "Luckily i incapacitated them all" "All of them?" "Yep" I used a shadow hunter spell and they all passed out which gave us enough time to run away" "Right you can tell Ash more about that when we get back...let's go"....