A Thousand Pixie Sticks

Being Human

"A Thousand Pixie Sticks"

"Aye, there's that loser! Where you been? I thought you had gotten lost!" Jackson yelled out as soon as Mark rejoined the group.

Mark rolled his syes, "I had to use the bathroom... Here's your fries and shake BamBam." Mark ignored Jackson's insult and settled himself and BamBam in with the food they had ordered.

"Oh..." Jackson replied somberly, saddened that Mark didn't take the bait of Jackson's playful insult and a bit taken aback with Mark's simplistic, straight forward answer.

"We were just asking about you, we didn't know whether or not you were M.I.A. or not this time around," joked a fellow who had joined the group in Mark's absence.

"Nah JB..." Mark began to say, even though Mark was older than his friend, Jaebum, who they called JB. JB possessed a leader-like quality and naturally fit the role of the father within the group of boys, "I'm actually taking a break right now from my studies, so I could hang out with you guys."

"Really? That's a first!" another boy that had joined the group shouted in surprise.

Mark laughed, "Yes, really. BamBam here," Mark turned to his friend and gave him a nudge, "actually suggested it."

"I see, you don't listen to us, but you listen to BamBam. And only BamBam," the boy joked again with Mark lightly.

"You're right! You're absolutely right Jr. And you know why?" Mark questioned.

"Why?" Jr asked in a tone that said, 'you can't really tell me something I already know'.

"Because BamBam is the only one here with any sense," Mark said and flung a fry at Jr.

Quick with his senses, Jackson, with his superhuman speed, reached over to grab the fry before it could ever hit Jr and ate it.

"Yum."

"Jackson, really?" Mark asked.

"What? What's the point of having these superhuman abilities if I don't ever get to use them?" Jackson asked retorically, almost with a whine. "Besides, that would have been a waste of a perfectly, delicious fry."

"What the hell are they teaching you in class? I mean, don't you get enough use there?" Jr asked questioningly.

"Well, yeah, but, it's just never enough for me. Apparently, Mr. Lee says that it's all a part of having these abilities. Most people with superhuman abilities will just have a higher, longer rate of  endurance." Jackson explained to his friends.

"No wonder it's always like he's eaten a thousand pixie sticks at one time..." Jr mumbled over to JB, but the other boys heard, garnering them to laugh.

"Ha ha," Jackson faked a laugh, "Very funny Jr. What about you all? How are your powers coming in? Soon we'll be graduating and heading out on our own. Well, except you three." Jackson said pointing to Youngjae, BamBam, and Yugyeom.

JB was the first to answer. "Mine are the same as usual. I'm definitely getting the hang of it now. I can pretty much turn it on and off whenever I want. Plus, it makes washing the dishes at the restaurant so much more easier."

"Oh yeah, well show us. Pick something up with your eyes," Jackson demanded in a godly way.

JB just laughed, "You don't use your eyes babo. Telekinesis is a mental power."

Everyone joined in to shake their heads at Jackson's absent mindedness, it was a usual thing they did as a group. But it wasn't Jackson's fault that he was so high strung. At times his mouth formed sentences faster than his brain could comprehend. One could blame it on his high energy, superhuman powers.

"Well, Mr. Smartass, use your 'mind' and pick something up," Jaskson looked around. "That! Move that cone right there that's in the street."

"Jackson, I can't move that..."

Jackson cut JB off before he could finish, "Ah ha! So clearly, you're not as good as you think you are and you're not doing as well as you think you are... Lies."

"Babo! They're using that cone to let people know not to enter into the construction zone. I can't move it..."

"Yeah, yeah. It sounds like an excuse to me... Ah, come on, just like, move it an inch, or two... Nobody would ever know..." Jackson began to whine to his hyung. Little did Jackson know while he had continued whining, JB was using his telelkinectic powers to remove Jackson's necklace. It wasn't until JB had risen the necklace to just below Jackson's chin, that Jackson had realized what was going on.

"Wha - what?" Jackson stuttered and grabbed his chain and placed it back down around his neck. The boys all laughed as JB sat with a 'proved you wrong' smirk on his face and Jackson with a 'I can't believe he did that' look on his face.

Jackson rolled his eyes once everyone had settled back down, "Fine. You're pretty good Hyung." Jackson admitted in a defeated tone.

"Thank you," JB took the compliment maturely, "What about you guys?" JB looked from Jr to Mark.

"Well, I'm still working on my stuff, you know," Mark replied quickly, "I'm taking a break from it all so, I'm not really thinking much about it right now. What about you Jr?" Mark asked, trying to get some attention off himself.

"Ah, yes, things are going well for me. I love my job, it's actually pretty neat. The whole staff there thinks that I'm like some new prodigy because I always know exactly what to do for each animal. But little do they know that I can actually communicate with them... So, in the end, it's kind of hilarious."

"Whoa, hyung, you're lucky to have gotten a job at a veterinarian," Yugyeom said, surprising everyone.

"Yeah," Jr began, "It was either veterinarian or weather channel intern... I think I picked the right one. I couldn't imagine having to 'predict' the weather and end up causing it to change at the same time. It just wouldn't have worked."

"Well, so, what's going to happen with the other half of your powers? I mean, you are elemental and environmental, right?" JB asked in a concerned tone. "It seems like the veterinarian job is taking care of the environment part with you interacting with animals. But, the elements is something completely different. Won't you be stronger in one field than the other if you keep this up?"

"Yeah! Are you even going to learn how to control the weather and the Earth or just speak to animals all day like Moses..." Jackson asked in his own way of being concerned.

"First, Moses never talked to animals. Secondly, next semester will be for Elemental control," Jr stated.

"Are you excited to learn how to work with the elements? That's kind of big... You'll be able to control fire, wind, water, the Earth... All sorts of stuff," Youngjae said matter of factly.

"Um, it'll be interesting," was all that Jr could say. He was undecided about how he had felt with learning something new. He remembered how long it had taken to just control is ability to communicate with animals, now he had to deal with so much more. He wasn't sure if he was ready or not.

Youngjae, using some of his ability, sensed Jr's slight discomfort and decided to change the subject.

"So Hyungs, you are both here, early..." Youngjae quickly said.

"Yeah, I got off work early, "JB said, "So I went by Jr's job..."

"...And, they actually let me go home early too. And, by the way, speaking of jobs, Mark hyung, you're going to need to get a job soon. So that you can get your Interaction credit..."

"I know. Maybe I'll start applying somewhere tomorrow." Mark replied in the mist of eating his fries.

"Well, I think the restaurant where I work is hiring. We just got this new girl the other day," JB chimmed in.

"New girl?" Jackson perked up, "Is she hot?" he asked, now curious.

"And on that note, it's time to leave," JB got up from his seat.

"Ah, come on. You're really not going to tell me?" Jackson begged JB.

"Nope."

"Fine, I'll just be craving Keum Soo Kang tomorrow and find out for myself."

All the boys froze and stared at Jackson.

"No. No. No. No. No..." Jackson realizing that what he said came out the wrong way, tried to clear it up. "I meant the restaurant, the food, not Keum SooKang. I will never be craving Keum SooKang..."

The boys started laughing at Jackson, yet again. But this time, Jackson was actually a bit upset that they were laughing at him. He stood there with his emotions showing on his face as his nostrils flared. "You don't even know if she's working tomorrow." JB said finally calming down from his laugh high.

"Well, I'll keep coming until I see her."

JB sighed, exasperated, with his cheeks sore from laughter, "Fine Jackson! Yes, she's kind of hot..." JB said in a less than willing tone.

"Sweet! I'll be by Keum Soo Kang restaurant tomorrow."

JB rolled his eyes, not too happy that he gave in to Jackson's pettiness about the new girl. The boys all got up, throwing away their trash and picking up there belongings, "Wait!" Mark garnered their attention, "Mr. Chee said to come in and say hello before we left."

The boys all nodded and turned to head inside to speak to the owner of the cafe.