Chapter 9

Catch Me If You Can

“Sir?” a voice called from the door.  Helix and Pegasus turned to see a short, red haired, bespectacled woman standing, glowing pad in hand.

“Yes, Lana?” Helix asked.

“We’re getting reports of Fallen agents leaving target zones.  Some zones are reporting no agent activity whatsoever.”

The room fell nearly silent as Lana passed the pad to Helix.  He looked at data and charts, scrolling through reports and looking at the evidence in front of him.  As more agents were arriving at Stonehenge, agents were leaving other areas.  The numbers didn’t add up, not by a long shot, but it wouldn’t take a genius to have noticed the connection.

“Thank you, Lana,” Helix returned her pad.  “Keep me updated with everything.  Bring back all Angels from quiet zones.  Any inactive Elite Angels you can find, ask them to report to the Hall immediately.”

Lana nodded and her heels, leaving the control room.  “Sir?” Raphael called.  “Beta have finally neutralised Egypt.  Agents captured, some escaped the zone altogether.”

“Stonehenge?”

“Still the nexus point,” Pegasus intoned.

Helix stood upright and turned to Taeyeon.  “Seohyun had better hurry,” he warned.  “We don’t have time to waste now.”

Taeyeon nodded.  “Should we send more cadets down?”

Helix nodded and strode to the door.  “Pegasus, send any and all cadets to Stonehenge.  Brief them on everything we know.  Taeyeon, tell Seohyun I’m going to the Hall to brief our agents.  Any information we have, no matter how small, we need it now.”

 

-----

 

Sunny and Sooyoung joined the group of cadets at the monument.  Currently, twelve cadets were present; four from Omega, four from Alpha and four from Delta.  Yuri had finished briefing all present to their current situation.  The number of angels was not the only thing that had increased; Fallen agents had grown five-fold since, and there was still no information as to what they would be facing except what Sebastian had told them.

Sooyoung, aware of Yuri’s report, was contemplating Lucy.  Something about her stuck in her mind.  The woman looked almost as sinister as the Fallen agent, but she wasn’t one of them.  She was human, a person just as any other, and yet her soul was corrupt, more so than any villain known to mankind.  Whilst it wasn’t exactly uncommon for humans to be corrupt, Lucy seemed to be even more so, and it bothered Sooyoung greatly.

“Sooyoung?” Yuri called again.  “Is everything ok?”

“Sorry, yes,” the cadet brought herself back to reality.  “Foresraine is still playing on my mind.”

“That’s the bankrolling chick, right?” Lemley, one of Delta Unit’s cadets asked.  She was by far the most eager to be in the midst of battle, being one of the strongest of the cadets and an incredible shot with a crossbow.  Only one cadet was more precise with an arrow, and she was following orders elsewhere.  Lemley was about Yuri’s height, with electric pink hair cut to her shoulders.  She had the most shining blue eyes ever seen on an angel and was as svelte and flexible as any gymnast in history; her limbs and torso being of the size one would expect an Olympic gymnast to be.  She came from a time ahead of this, from the year 2310.  Her outfit reflected this; full of mochromatic silvers, blacks and whites, tinged with the same shade of cerise as Sunny’s outfit.  She looked like a futuristic female version of Robin Hood; a silver tunic with cerise hems over a black top, white tights underneath dark grey and cerise hipster shorts, and a pair of black ankle boots with a small thick heel.  The young angel was sitting on the floor, legs crossed, her black quiver sat over her shoulder, her bolts safely secure in their holding.

Sooyoung nodded at the cadet.  “Lucy Foresraine, right?”  Another nod.  Lemley looked confused.  “Is it just me or is there a reference we’re missing here?”

“Come again?” Sunny asked.

“Lucy Foresraine,” Lemley explained.  “Sounds an awful lot like ‘Lucifer’s Reign’, don’t you think?”

Omega Unit looked at the new addition in stunned silence.  “It can’t be,” Hyoyeon pleaded.

Sunny mused over the suggestion.  It had to be, she reasoned.  Why else would she be so key to this mission?

“It’s got to be coincidence,” Chen dismissed.

“No,” Sunny answered.  “Lem’s right; they’ve been taunting us, goading us all this time.  We should have known this was much more serious from the moment we saw the name.  Foresraine Enterprises was set up just for tonight.”  She picked up her backpack.  “That’s why we’ve seen her as central to this.  They’ve got something big planned, and we need to know what it is, now.”

“What do you suggest?” Simon asked.

Without a word, Sunny tapped her earpiece.  “Omega Two to Omega Control, come in.”

“Yes Sunny,” Taeyeon’s voice seemed very agitated.

“Tell Seohyun to get a move on.”  She turned around, the heavy weight from the Fallen souls increasing.  “Or we’re in deep trouble.”

 

-----

 

“Seriously?” Jessica whispered excitedly.  She, Seohyun and Tiffany were clustered at the top end of a long, wooden library table, discussing Helix’s outburst.  Optimus, his ego still bruised from the confrontation, hovered around the bookshelves, mindlessly looking at book spines.  He made sure he kept his distance from the cadets, knowing they were talking about him.  The more he heard about what happened, even if it was idle gossip between cadets, the more frustrated he became.  He hated being shouted down, and having an audience to see it made it infinitely worse.

Tiffany nodded.  “He was pissed, you could tell.”

“I’m not surprised,” Jessica empathised.  “I mean, you guys know nothing about what’s happening and he’s acting as though he should be running the show!”

Tiffany shook her head in disbelief.  “I know his team are pretty cool and kick and everything, but you just don’t start answering back to your commanding officer!”

Jessica rolled her eyes and returned to the book in front of her.  “Guess we know where they get their attitude from,” she mused, to the agreement of her comrade.

Seohyun was fixated on her studying, reading texts from ancient records, consuming their words and analysing them for all their worth.  Since they had walked into the library not twenty minutes ago, she had immersed herself into the literature, determined to find the solution to help her fellow angels.  She was already frustrated that the library had no listing of businesses, which wasn’t entirely surprising, but her friends were relying on her finding information to help them.  And she was finding nothing.  Nothing on Foresraine Enterprises.  Nothing on the Revival Festival.  Nothing on Titan Call.  No anniversaries, no births, no deaths, nothing that connected itself to the events at Stonehenge, and it seemed the library had only marginally more information than the codex she had been using earlier.  As if to add insult to injury, their accompanying commander was neither help nor ornament, preferring to spend his time sulking and brooding.

“Hey, this got me thinking,” Jessica recalled, picking up another book from the centre.  “Remember those campfire stories Taeyeon used to tell us?”

“Which ones?” Tiffany asked.

“The Titans!  How the Greek myths were really close to reality, but they were more gruesome.  Like, how they would terrorise villages and eat the people alive,” she recalled, as if re-enacting the stories, exaggerating the terror in her voice in the way that only a sweet natured girl could.

“Oh my god, I had completely forgotten about them!” Tiffany laughed.  “We’d just got here and Taeyeon was scaring us senseless with them.”

“They’re campfire stories and nothing more,” Optimus complained, keeping his back to the trio and his face to the books.  “We’re here to look for a connection to this mess, not reminisce on old times.”

At this point, Seohyun raised her head slowly, mulling those words over.  Slowly she stood up and walked to the opposite side of the library to where they were previously searching.

“Seohyun?” Tiffany called, but to no response.  Onwards she walked to her destination, thumbing across the book spines until she found the one she wanted.  She returned to the table, stood behind her chair and opened the book, scanning the index for the section she was looking for.

“Every campfire story has a source,” she muttered, turning pages over in rapid succession.  “Titans,” she read aloud to herself.  “Beings rooted in Greek mythology, imprisoned by the Greek God Zeus.”  She read a few sentences lower as Optimus turned to look at her, perplexed.

“You’re looking at Greek legends?” he asked.

“It’s the longest shot possible,” Seohyun explained, “but I’m willing to chance it.”

“Mythological legends told in fictional stories?”

“Myths come from somewhere.”

“What connection would Greek legends have to Stonehenge?” Tiffany asked.

Seohyun reached a seemingly poignant sentence and lifted her head up, staring directly at their sceptic commander.  “Saurians?” she whispered.

That one word drained any remaining colour from his face.  He shook his head in disbelief, snatching the book from Seohyun.  “It can’t be,” he muttered.

“What are ‘Saurians’?” Jessica asked.

“Beasts that spawned the legends of the Titans,” Optimus explained quickly.  “The Titans in the legends were nothing more rampant, destructive beings that would trample all in their path.  Saurians were worse; bloodthirsty, violent hunters, feeding from the souls of the Universe.”  He turned the page and paced around, looking for something in the book.  “A group of them came from a planet not known to us and started to decimate humanity.  We lost many angels fighting them, and almost lost Heaven to them, until the Almighty Powers imprisoned them in the core of the Earth.  But they can’t be released.”  He turned the page back.  “The only thing that could possibly set them free is …” he looked up at Seohyun, the look of haunting realisation falling through his eyes.  “The reciting of a Saurian curse.”

“A ‘Titan Call’,” she echoed.

Within seconds, four bodies ran out of the library, textbooks remaining opened on the table.  In one that had recently been thrown onto the table, a painting of their fate graced the page.