Chapter 11

Catch Me If You Can

Night was drawing in across the plains of Stonehenge.  The concert rig had been constructed, lights were wired and connected, speakers had been tested and instruments ready to perform.  The mammoth sized task had been completed and supporters were coming in their droves to the site to listen to the fruits of the performer’s labours.

 

It wasn’t just those wanting to hear drum beats, bass riffs and guitar solos that were coming to Stonehenge.  The Fallen were now in their tens of thousands.  Some loitered around the human crowd, working their ways into the bodies and souls of the living.  Some hung around the edge of the crowd, looking over to the stone monument where the Angel forces were standing.  Forces with their weapons bared, ready to fight.

 

Many of the Angels, both of Heaven and Fallen, stood on the ground.  Some stood on objects and rocks around them.  A small number, however, hovered above the crowd, each adorned with beautiful wings.  Cadets learned that these were awarded, or earned, by angels, much in the way that army cadets earned their stripes or medals.  Each pair of wings stretched out about half a meter from the body when collapsed, and each wing stretched a meter and a half from the shoulder to the tip.  They looked magnificently splendid, almost majestically so, and seemed to be something that even the most graceful of creatures longed to adorn on its own body.  They differed only in colour; the wings of the Angel forces were pure white, whilst the Fallen forces had darkened significantly, although they were not anywhere near to black.  Whilst Angels could earn their wings, and did, they rarely displayed them in Heaven.  This was partially out of respect for the angels that didn’t have their wings, but mostly because of their size and general inconvenience.  It was only in situations like this where wings grew into their own; allowing for all sorts of aerial acrobatics in the midst of battle, or allowing for overhead searches in reconnaissance missions.

 

Helix stood at the head of the Angel army, his own wings helping him hover over the ground.  He surveyed the landscape, watching the Fallen forces.  All seemed quiet.  In numbers, he and his team heavily outranked the Fallen.  This didn’t factor in the Saurian that they would bring at any moment.  One by one, more angels joined the team, falling in behind him.  It took only moments before a figure appeared from within the Fallen ranks.

“Well, if it isn’t Admiral Helix,” the tall, spindly figure muttered to himself.  He was equally as creepy as Sebastian, with his eyes seemingly more dead.  If that was possible.  He smirked and allowed his wings to flourish, ascending into the air and turning his back to the Angels.  “Agents,” he called, “tonight, we will achieve our dream of returning to our rightful home.  We will show that we are the ones that deserve to be in the Kingdom of Heaven, not those that shunned us.  Not the ones that fight us.  They deny us that right.  Tonight, we take back that right.”

He turned around and held his sword aloft.  Helix declined his army rousing speech, favouring instead to raise his arms.  Everyone knew what was at stake.  And everyone could hear the battle cry of the Fallen’s leader.

“Cadets, remain here!” Pegasus shouted.  “Hold the monument!  We absolutely cannot allow this site to fall.”

“For the righteous,” came the cry from the other side.  “For the Fallen.  For the true!”  Screams and shouts came from the Fallen camp as they charged towards the Angels.  Mere seconds passed before the Angels make their advance, shouting and screaming in response.  Souls clashed together, pushing each other.  The Angels avoided the blades of the Fallen, knowing their fate should one come into contact with their energy.  Angels could not kill another angel, even one of the Fallen.  They too were angels, only with corrupt souls.  To take the energy of an angel, corrupt or otherwise, corrupted their own soul.  It became worse.  But those of the Fallen either lost touch with this knowledge or were willing to sacrifice themselves for the cause set forth by their leader.  To take back Heaven at any cost.  If that meant decimating the Angel’s souls and sacrificing their own, all the better.

The warning of Pegasus fell onto deaf ears.  Five pairs, to be precise.  Taeyeon, Sunny, Hyoyeon, Yuri and Sooyoung charged, hidden in the middle of the Elite forces.  They held their weapons aloft as the others had and fought with their might, leaving the other cadets and remaining angels to hold down the monument.  Jessica, Tiffany, Yoona and Seohyun remained in Heaven, both as reserves and as their eyes.  Information passed quicker between angels than ever before, with most angels having one other to relay information to them.

The energies of the warriors became so intense that almost nobody had noticed the concert starting.  It would have humoured the commanding unit to know that Omega had, and were fighting almost choreographed steps.  It would have, had they not disobeyed a direct order to stay back.  Still, there was no turning back now, and the five fought with all of their worth, pushing well trained Agents back, blocking well-seasoned veterans of battle from causing lethal blows, and even taking on multiple agents.  The heavy guitar riffs, the pounding drum beats, and the angry screams of the performers provided them with all the energy they needed.  Yuri pounded the pommel of her sword into her opponent, using the force to propel herself away from the group’s core.  She countered every swing of the blade with ease, matching his every and parry.

A small number of performances passed before Titan Call took to the stage, playing the most violent death metal songs ever heard.  More fuel for the battling cadets.  As Sunny defended herself from three Fallen agents, she backed into another angel.  With almost feline like reflexes, she ducked as a heavy arm swung around, knocking the three Agents prone in succession.  She stood up proudly, only to have that pride disappear from her face instantly.

“Sunny!” Pegasus bellowed.  “You were ordered to remain!”

“I couldn’t, Commander,” she responded, turning to force another Agent into retreat.  “Heaven needs defending.  And you needed all of the help you could get.”

“Which would have been better placed back there!”

“I’m not sorry for my decision, Sir!”

He glared at her as she looked back, unflinching.  She really was not sorry for disobeying her orders.  She reminded him of someone, he thought, forcing himself to repress a chuckle.  Now was not a time for memories.

“Watch your footing next time,” he relented, turning back in time to see the creepy leader charging headlong for them.  Instantly, he dived and pushed Sunny to the ground, kicking upwards to his assailant with his boot.  Immediately, Sunny crawled in the other direction, regaining her footing and attacking other agents.

More battles were fought, more agents pushed back.  Some angels lost their souls.  Suddenly, over the loudspeakers, louder than the rampant guitar riff, a voice roared.  The language was something none of them had heard.  To the untrained ears, it sounded no different to the incoherent growling that Titan Call had been playing for the last few tracks.  Although the voice was distinctly feminine.

Lyuco hlen cho uusoc, eh kequolhar quullyel.

Helix turned to face the stage, his eyes widened with fear.  The fact that it was a language none had heard before worried him.  The sight that was presented to him chilled him to his core.  There, in her resplendent glory, stood the caller.  She remained in the same white t-shirt and ankle length skirt she had before.

Quo sura akem iea geh jeh ieal jagi.

“Get away from the monument!” he called.  “Now!”

Quo ehhol cho cearc eh cho nytfgi uc cuslyuhyso.

Cadets made every attempt to get away from the stone circle, fighting to get past those Agents that had slipped through the foray.

Houcg, umja useyuobo ieal jocgyumi!

The ground shook violently, just as many Agents gave their final strikes.  Only, these weren’t as powerful as previous blows.  One by one, Fallen Agents fell to their knees, their energies being seeped from their bodies.  Orbs of light drifted from them, towards the leeching human.  As Lucy held her arms outright, almost as if she was taking her place on an invisible crucifix, she began to float above the stage.  Beams of light shot from her body and burst to the centre of the stone circle.  Cadets and angels fled the area as the ground fell from beneath them, the hole expanding as angels ran from the disaster area.  Smoke and dust lifted from the hole, distorting the vision of everyone nearby.  More energy from agents disappeared.  More light pulsed from Lucy into the abyss.

Up from the smoking cavern, two clawed hands gripped the grassy plains.