fin.

gone with the waves
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Normally, Park Jinyoung doesn't like the beach. He was not a fan of getting sand on every article of clothing he wore, especially inside his shoes because he never did have a tolerance for feeling uncomfortable. There was also the fact that going to the beach usually meant that it was summer, which meant is was hot, and he just doesn't see the logic of why people enjoy burning themselves under the sun when they could be enjoying a day inside with airconditioning. 

All of this, and more, came out of Jinyoung's mouth and into the ears of his friends, namely Jackson and Youngjae. Jackson was behind the wheel of the car as they headed towards the beach. He regretted allowing Jinyoung ride shotgun but then figured no matter where he sat, he still would have flapped his mouth away like no tomorrow. Youngjae was smart enough to eventually fall asleep and spare himself from listening to Jinyoung complain. 

"Bro," Jackson started to say. "You'll enjoy the beach this time. We're staying over my friend's place, remember? It's not like we'll be aircondition-less the whole time." 

"Good, or else I would have gladly wasted your car's battery." 

Jinyoung ignored the amused laugh he got in return, because he was actually very serious about his claim. His thoughts wandered back to when Jackson was coaxing him out of bed with promises that they were going to a land of adventure and fun and good food (that one did the trick, really) only to feel betrayed once the word "beach" was said. 

"Don't be such a beach about it," Jackson quipped before he dragged Jinyoung completely out of bed. "You already agreed! It's only for two days." 

He sulked in his seat further as the thoughts came back to him. Then again, what else was there to do in summer, really? Jinyoung contemplated on that a bit until he realized the car stopped and Jackson was shouting at Youngjae to wake up. 

 

 

 

Jackson's friend, Jaebum, was helpful and friendly enough. He had a bright smiley face as he greeted them, dressed in surfer shorts and a loose, sleeveless shirt that just screamed summer. He doesn't look like he lived around the beach though- his skin was still on the pale side. Jackson quickly informed the rest that Jaebum only lived in his beach house during the summer, and everything made more sense after that. 

Youngjae was particularly really excited at the idea that the beach was literally right there.

"You can smell the waves," he said excitedly, eliciting a laugh from Jaebum and a half-hearted smile from Jinyoung. 

After they were all settled in, Jaebum invited them over to hang on the beach. It felt rude to say no to a person he just met, so Jinyoung had tagged along, armed with one of those huge umbrellas, a beach towel, a bottle of sunscreen, and a pair of shades. He was determined to at least not burn himself, since not getting sand on himself was already a lost cause. The moment they stepped foot outside of the beach house, Jinyoung was greeted by the tiny gritty pieces entering his sandals and he cursed their existence silently.

Jackson must have noticed his discomfort, because he laughed as Jinyoung shook the sand out of his shoes desperately.

"I'm kind of sorry," he grinned. "But just kind of."

Jinyoung rolled his eyes at him and considered throwing sand at his face, but decided against it.

They settled down on a spot near the center of the beach. Surprisingly, the beach wasn't that packed with people. Maybe because it was considered to be off the regular path, or maybe it was because a much wider, and more popular beach was just 15 minutes away. Jinyoung considered it was the latter. He definitely didn't complain though. The lack of people gave the impression that the air surrounding him was cooler (even if it was still really hot, regardless.)

"We're going to surf," Jackson announced when all their beach equipment was set down. He had his surfboard in hand, and so did Jaebum. "Wanna come with?"

"No."

"Yes."

Jinyoung looked at Youngjae in surprise, "you know how to surf?"

Youngjae shrugged and smiled sheepishly in return, "I can always learn."

"Awesome," Jaebum commented. "There's a shop that rents boards over there, we can go get you one."

Jinyoung watched his friends walk away until they were tiny specks on the shore. He shifted his shades to the top of his head, before squinting at the harsh glare of sunlight that came his way and shifted it back to his eyes again. He moved his towel a little closer to the opened umbrella, and laid himself down. He had slathered sunscreen on himself earlier on even if he already had no plans of being under the sun at all. Just as a precaution. The weather was warm and prickly, and he already felt some sweat beads dripping down his forehead and it took all of his willpower not to run back to the beach house and chill on the bed instead. He was already at the beach. Might as well try and enjoy it.

His thoughts were ruined when a wave of sand fell on his face.

"What the--" 

Jinyoung realized it was a bad move to open his mouth because some of the said sand entered his mouth, and he quickly sat up to spit it out aggressively. Luckily his shades covered his eyes, so none got into his eyes, but still he had to take them off because his precious shades had sand all over them as well. A million curses entered his head and were about to come out until he heard a voice from above.

"I'm so sorry, oh my God, I really didn't mean to, dude I'm so sorry."

Jinyoung squinted his eyes as he looked up and was greeted first of all, by the sunlight he had tried so hard to avoid. However his problem with the sun went away just as quickly because soon a shadow loomed above him, blocking it. His eyes adjusted, and soon he found himself staring right at a fully formed, definitely well developed six-pack. The six bumps of muscle on the stranger's stomach glistened and for a moment, Jinyoung forgot he was annoyed. Until the abs disappeared and instead, were replaced by two beautiful brown eyes and well, he found it hard to complain about that too. 

"Uhm, I'm sorry, are you okay?"

The deep, unfamiliar voice managed to snap Jinyoung back to his senses. He got a good look at the person who just ruined his peace- messy brown hair, lovely eyes, a wonderfully toned bare chest, delicious abs, and... what just happened again? He took in his surroundings for a few seconds- sand on his beach towel, sand somewhere in his hair, and a volleyball lodged in the sand beside the area where his head had been resting on the said beach towel. 

Oh. Right. A spray of sand.

Jinyoung figured he should be annoyed, mad even at what happened, but for some reason there was this little voice in his head that went "accidents happen, forgive the gorgeous guy" and so he decided to give a small smile instead.

"I'm fine. Is that your ball?"

"Oh, yeah, I was playing with some of the other guys and it kind of got out of hand," the stranger chuckled, "literally."

Jinyoung reached over and grabbed the ball from the sand, ignoring how bits of it fell on his shorts, and handed it out. The male before him looked amused for a moment, but took the ball in his hands. He straightened up from his original slightly bent down position, while Jinyoung took note that his tan skin was probably an after effect of living in the beach his whole life. A beach boy then, he figured. Nice. 

Beach Boy (as Jinyoung will now label him in his head because he doesn't know his name yet, but would really like to) looked like he was about to speak, but then one of the guys near the courts started shouting something Jinyoung couldn't really hear properly, but Beach Boy seemed to understand it. He smiled a little apologetically, and spoke again.

"I'm being called back. I'm sorry again," he gave a quick grin, showing a flash of canines, before jogging off. Jinyoung took note that he was barefoot. On the beach. On the hot sand. Yep, definitely 100% a beach boy. 

Jinyoung would have fallen back on the beach towel, but there was the small fact that it was slightly covered in sand. Actually, close to his whole body was already covered in sand, and the fact that he was suddenly aware of it made him feel every little sand particle that clung onto his skin, and he absolutely hated it. He squinted at the waves and noticed that the three surfing figures he was expecting were no longer there. Instead, he was greeted by more sand being kicked onto his legs.

"What the--"

"Looking for us?" Jackson's face appeared in his line of sight and Jinyoung lightly batted his head away, earning an exaggerated hurt look from the other boy. 

"Ouch," he whined. "And to think I'm here to deliver good news."

"You delivered sand on my legs, that news better be good or I will personally shove sand up your--"

"Alright," Youngjae interrupted, shoving his body in front of Jackson. "Enough bickering, he came to tell you we'll be heading back to the house now."

Jaebum, who had been watching the scene with an amused smile, chuckled and agreed. They all helped in carrying their stuff back to the beach house. As they walked back, Jinyoung purposely stayed away from Jackson because he was certain that the other boy won't even think twice about sticking his wet, sandy body on his friend. Back in Jaebum

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter