❊ ~ (Ch. 6) EQSOL Documentary: Episode 1

❊❇ ↝ EQSOL | YG's First Mega-Unit | The Journey Begins ↜ ❇❊

 ~ ~ EPISODE ONE ~ ~         



YG Entertainment, home to many of South Korea's most prominent acts. From the first successful group and undisputable pioneers, Big Bang, to the fierce women who embody girl power, 2NE1. Over the years they have signed on established acts, such as Khiphop master group, Epik High, and the international phenomenon that is Psy. Now a new generation of artists are set to debut. The highly anticipated five member boy band, Winner is already set to have their highly anticipated debut after the success of WIN, but there is another who will also carry on the spirit of YG and become a force in the realm of music and entertainment…a girl group, 5 years in the making.

(At YG Entertainment, trainees are hard at work waiting for the chance to debut. But…)

Geum Youngsook, a woman of moderate height with shoulder length amber hair, light skin, and business casual attire, walked into the YG building curiously as she was followed by a camera crew. “It’s so quiet around here. I wasn’t expecting that for some reason.” she said turning her head towards the camera man as she ventured towards the elevator. With such an overwhelmingly charismatic vibe and reputation, it was a little surprising to be welcomed with a lack of noise. Youngsook travelled down the hall and came up to the elevator, only to come in contact with two tall young ladies who also happened to be a sixth of their current targets. The two girls turned, looking rather shocked by Youngsook’s sudden appearance. “Ah, annyeonghaseyo. I’m Geum Youngsook and you are?”

“Annyeonghaseyo, I’m Lee Gyeo-ul but I go by Cassie!” greeted the girl with a bow, neon green dip-dyed hair spilling over her shoulders.

“And I’m Song Jaehwa but I go mostly by Jaylen. It’s very nice to meet you!” said the blonde who pulled up from her bow and smiled politely.

“So, you are some of the few that I’m supposed to be interviewing.” Youngsook smiled and the two looked surprised.

“That...starts today?!” gasped Jaylen, completely forgetting about the documentary.

“Great leadership, unnie, great leadership.” Cassie responded nonchalantly, heavy on the shade.

“Respect your elders, kid.” retorted the co-leader and it gave Youngsook a sneak peek of what she was in for as the elevator dinged open.

“So, where are you two headed off to?” asked the reporter as she kept the conversation going.

“Oh, you came on a pretty special day.” Cassie smiled towards the woman. “We do a showcase for sajangnim to show our dance skills.”

“You seem excited about it? I thought this would’ve been something that would scare you.” Youngsook added curiously. It was nice to see her happy about it, but most trainees usually fear these type of events especially with YG since he’s such a (and she means this in the most respectful way) hard but Jaylen clarified.

“Well, it is for the weaker dancers of the group but we have creative reigns over how we showcase our talent to the boss. So we like to come up with themes that’ll help play up our strengths and make the experience fun.” the blonde clarified as the elevator doors opened. The reporter followed the two lead rappers down the hall of the second floor before they entered one of the practice rooms. Once inside they saw about 15 other girls scattered around the room, a few sitting against walls while most were stretching, some standing while the others were doing splits which made Youngsook a bit envious. Ah, the unfair advantage of youth. Soon a few of the girls noticed the new arrivals enter the room.

“You two are late.” said a girl with a chilling, traditional beauty and a demeanor that screamed nonchalance, even by the way she addressed them. “I told you that eating sweets so late at night wasn’t a good thing.” she added. Jaylen and Cassie scratched their cheeks, giving guilty chuckles.

“Oh lighten up Seyoung-ah, chocolate is never bad for you.” responded Jaylen.

Seyoung frowned. “Are you really going to give that type of answer as a response?” she asked slowly and Youngsook could tell she was the most serious out of all the girls, pretty intimidating if you ask her.

“Oh chill out, Seyoung-unnie~!” said one of the girls, one with pearly smooth fair skin and long black hair, who stretched with another girl that was like her opposite with a rich olive toned complexion and brown hair.

"Yuna's right, atleast they made it before boss man got here." added the tan girl.

"Yeah, listen to Yuna and Serena." Jaylen retorted but squeaked when her co-leader glared at her,  scattering away to the other side of the practice room, dragging Cassie with her. Seyoung sighed before she finally noticed Youngsook and the camera crew standing there. The elegant lead finally pieced everything together and realization sunk in.

“That starts today?” Seyoung blinked as she asked calmly. If this was an anime, the whole group would’ve had exasperated sweatdrops streaming from the side of their head. This documentary was really the furthest thing from their mind, huh? “My name is Kang Seyoung, nice meeting you.” she said politely with a her same stoic expression.

“Ah, I’m Geum Youngsook from Mnet.” the woman greeted as the two floor stretchers bounced up and came to Seyoung’s spot when the girl went to go chastise her fellow co-leader a bit more.

“My name is Zhao Yuna!”

“And I’m Lee Eunji but I go by my English name, Serena.” greeted both girls in a friendly fashion. Youngsook smiled at the two, calmed by their auras.

“What is happening here, exactly? What preparation is happening?” the reporter asked.

“Well, sajangnim is coming around to oversee our dance practice and to see if there is any improvements to be made, which would usually be scary but he's been pretty open minded lately." Yuna started.

"With training, we don't like to do showcases in a systematic fashion. We like to have themes for these check-ins which is why we don't stress over them as much.” Serena jumped in and Youngsook was intrigued.

“So what is the theme for this session?” asked the reporter.

“Well, South Korea doesn’t have this show yet, but since we’re from the United States, we decided to base this session off of a show called So You Think You Can Dance.” Yuna explained. “Recently, they’ve divided up contestants into two categories - street and stage.”

Youngsook nodded, seeing it as a pretty good and simple theme. “So when you say street, you mean hip hop based dances, and stage is, like, ballet and contemporary?”

“Exactly!” Serena added.

The woman smiled, happy she understood the concept. “So what teams are you two on?”

“Serena is part of team street. She is arguably the best pop-lock dancer in our group.” Yuna said as she tried to interpret Serena but since she decided to be silly, her interpretation came out in the form of an awkward robot which made the main rapper laugh, vibing off of her goofiness.

“Well Yuna is team stage. She’s one of the best when it comes to technique and ballerina turns.” Serena did her own demonstration but, when she spun around she didn’t have the proper balance so she stopped in an awkward position. Still, she gave a cheesy smile afterwards.

Yuna clapped slowly. “So graceful, so majestic.” she said and Serena humored with a bow. Youngsook chuckled but before she could ask another question, in walked the big man of the company, Yang Hyunsuk and literally every one of the girls bowed in respect to them. He then looked to the Mnet crew and paused, blinking slowly.

“That was today?” Hyunsuk asked and the Mnet crew was slowly losing every bit of can’t with this group but Youngsook nodded. The man bowed in respect before he focused on his trainees. “So how is this evaluation process going to work this time?” he asked and at that point the Mnet crew decided to take a step back and prepare to catch footage.

A girl who had an very European flared beauty spoke up. “We decided to split it up into two teams, one that focus more on street style hip hop while the other focuses on stage styled contemporary dances.” she explained.

Hyunsuk nodded. “Who is on which team?” he asked and Jaylen was the one to speak up.

“Team Street is Cassie, Serena, Seyoung, Chariya, and myself, with Butterfly’s Youngjin and Miwa.” she said before gesturing to the girl who spoke moments before. “And Roza is the leader.” she said before looking to the “rival” team. “Team Stage is Seulhye, Eunkyung, Yuna, Yueqin, and Yilin with Butterfly’s Yerin and Jinkyong and Gigi-unnie is the leader. Eunhwa was supposed to be with them but her shoulder is bothering her.” she explained.

“I’m just going to be a spectator for today.” said Eunhwa who sat against the wall wearing a black sling while Jinkyong pat her head. Poor thing.

YG nodded before he sat down in his chair. “Well let’s begin, shall we?” he asked and the young ladies nodded before they got into their starting formation. Eunhwa pressed the play button on the music player and the whole practice room was filled with an intense EDM/house rhythm. The girls started off doing a synchronized, military vibed step routine, which made them seem extremely intimidating given the fact that their faces were shadowed by the black caps on their heads and the matching white T-shirts on their bodies. Being every bit of a uniform dance unit but soon they disassembled and backed up so the specified showcases could begin.

Up first was the Butterfly duo, Youngjin and Miwa, who came out with an explosive routine showing the modern dance styles in worldwide pop culture over the past few years. From the dougie to jerking to pin-drops to the catdaddy all the way up to the craze of whipping and doing the nae-nae. They were all about the new school but their time came to an end by interruption when their fellow Butterfly members, Jinkyong and Yerin, leapt into view quite literally and started their segment, one that was strongly based on impressive leaps with jazz influenced qualities. They would go from doing strong expressive jazz movements to fast ballet turns that connected into leaps seamlessly. They ended with doing insanely stable, standing splits while making a heart with their hands as smiles played on their lips but as soon as that happened Chariya walked up and “broke” their heart in a very sassy manner which made YG chuckle as she was followed by Cassie.

This duo had hat tricking as their main focus of showcase. Their dance movements were basic and accurate but their caps moved around so fast that you would think either one of them would drop one but they proved that assumption wrong. The most impressive was when they popped the hats off their shoulder and it landed right on their heads in synchro as an ending, everyone was impressed. Soon the music changed pace slightly as the next group, the first trio which consisted of Yilin, Eunkyung and Seulhye, performed a really cute tap number. It might’ve been the fact that they were all adorable or how quirky their routine was but everything was on point and in sync, the little moonwalk they did at the end was the cherry on top. Youngsook found the simplicity to be extremely endearing but Serena and Roza were ready to crush that.

The main dancer duo had a complete pop-lock routine and it was truly complicated. Though it started off with smooth robotic motions, the pacing sped up immensely once the rhythm of the track did and it proved how much of a pro Serena was at it, Roza also proving why she was a main dancer for the group. It was complex and striking but it didn’t stop with those two. As Roza and Serena turfed their way out of the spotlight, Yuna and Yueqin held hands and flipped into the frontview, showing their gymnastics background as they began their ballet routine with strong emphasis on turns and acrobatic flare. Synchronized and precise with toes pointed perfectly, the China-line duo started with chaine turns that transitioned into what would be a flurry of fouettes before doing pirouettes into a leg hold turn connected to an illusion. Yueqin and Yuna leaped back towards their group before doing synchronized side aerials into a split and at that moment, Youngsook was absolutely sure of the fact that they would be the definite two who’ll do the tough tricks if EQSOL has big dance performances.

The next duo, leaders Jaylen and Seyoung, jumped over the acrobatic duo before they proceeded with their segment that had a strong emphasis on footwork. Their movements were so spot on, the footwork so intricate and fancy that Youngsook, hell, Yang Hyunsuk, had trouble keeping focus on them. If they made a mistake, which they didn’t, it would be extremely hard to tell. Soon the two ended with a shuffle before freezing as Gigi walked in between them, the music really dying down into a single drum pound. Being the only solo was probably nerve wracking but Gigi gave an award worthy contemporary performance that captivated all, going from fierce and fluid to poised and subtle. Her expressions were breathtaking and Youngsook was truly moved by it, but what truly got to her was when she started to sway along to the slow clock-like rhythm and, one by one, the other girls followed the motion like dancing dolls. She was awed by the beauty of the visual before they transitioned doing lyrical hip hop movements as the music track played at a high pace like in the beginning, this time the intensity wasn’t at the level as it was in the beginning but much more fun according to the smiles on their faces. It made the watching experience that much more enjoyable.

(The newest group that will carry on the legacy of YG Entertainment and strive to make their mark in the world of entertainment..)

The camera pans to the 12 main characters of this experience as they walk into a small room with a strong lounge vibe, Geum Youngsook sitting on a gray loveseat across from them. “So introduce yourselves to the public!”

“Annyeonghaseyo, I’m Lyn, EQSOL’s mellow lead rapper and co-leader."

"I'm Gigi, EQSOL's lyrical lead dancer."

"I'm Sey, EQSOL's elegant lead vocalist, lead dancer and co-leader."

"I'm Roza, EQSOL's y main dancer."

"I'm Yilin, EQSOL's smooth main vocalist."

"I'm Serena, EQSOL's fierce main rapper and main dancer."

"I'm Eunkyung, EQSOL's sweet main vocalist."

"I'm Yuna, EQSOL's emotional main vocalist and lead dancer."

"I'm Cassie, EQSOL's powerful main vocalist and lead rapper."

"I'm Tori, EQSOL's melodic lead vocalist and main dancer."

"I'm Riya, EQSOL's sassy main rapper."

"I'm Seulhye, EQSOL's cute lead vocalist and ultimate maknae."

"Nice to meet you~!" they all ended in unison thanks to the power of film editing.

(Introducing YG Entertainment’s first ever female mega unit, EQSOL!)

EQSOL, a unit that holds a lot of anticipation, having been hyped up since December of 2012. People are intrigued by the uniqueness of the 12 member female unit. From the diversity, to skilled uniformity as a dance unit, to the skill level and group positions, and even the name.

“For over 2 years, people have been going on and on about EQSOL. What do you think plays into this hype?” Youngsook asked as she was now in Yang Hyunsuk’s office, talking to YG himself one on one.

"It would be easy to say that it comes from being apart of one of South Korea's most prominent talent agencies but I think it's deeper than that. They've put out video proof to show the lengths of their training and what they can do as individuals, in small units and as a whole. I think that is what continued to uphold the interest of the public." YG answered. "I think their appeal also lies with their appearance and how they aren't the standard ideal yet still have a natural beauty to them, it makes them relatable especially when looking from a more international standpoint. I'm excited for everyone to get to see their personalities since I find that they'll be really good at variety. But, at the same time, I'm a little scared, they can be quite an eccentric bunch." he chuckled.

Youngsook nodded with a smile. “What was your inspiration for the whole phenomenon that is EQSOL?”

“I have to give credit where it’s due, the initial idea of the unit and name came from my business partner and friend, Igarashi Hiroyuki. In the beginning, all the girls were normal YG trainees, even though very advanced in skill. But Hiro had a vision of what they could achieve and I trusted his vibe completely. Afterwards everything clicked and we saw eye to eye on this and the rest was history.” he admitted.

Our next destination is Tokyo, Japan...a must see destination for many tourist and a place where the music scene is at an all time high. With a music industry being 2nd across the globe, this capital hosts both aspiring artists who chase their dreams and prominent veterans who’ve worked countless years to uphold said prominence. One of these veterans being Igarashi Hiroyuki, more commonly known as Hiro, founder of the group Exile and CEO of the management and talent agency, LDH Incorporated, which is home to some rising acts in the Japanese industry.

“What is your biggest motivation for creating groups?” Kimiko asked. The Japanese reporter, who was fair, petite, with a short black hair and fashionable attire, sat in one of the LDH offices with the big man of the company.

Hiro thought for a second. “My main goal is to try and help young acts achieve their dreams of stardom. The willingness and strive they have towards succeeding pushes them forward in their craft. About 100 years ago, I had that same aspiration.” Hiro joked and Kimiko giggled lightly.

Hiro has been in multiple groups, from his beginning as a member of the boy group Zoo in the late 80s, all the way until his recent departure from the popular group, Exile, earlier this year. His 25 year career spawns an impressive resume and garnered him many accolades and achievements.

“So, Hiro-san, why did you decide to team up with YG Entertainment for this project?”

“Hyunsuk and I have been friends for about four years now, when Big Bang had their Love and Hope tour. I’ve always respected his achievements with groups like 2NE1 and Big Bang and what he’s done with contributing to the growing Korean pop industry. I travelled to South Korea for the first time and visited YG Entertainment and ended up spotting all of this talent under one building.” Hiro ran through the background. "He then introduced me to some of his trainee groups and I saw the insane amount of potential that they had and knew I wanted to add my own flair to hopefully make them a major force in the Asian music scene. I'm glad I had the opportunity to do so because, aside from being great artists, they are an honest joy to be around. It's honestly never a dull moment with them." he added with an honest smile.

"Yang Hyunsuk-san says that you are the one who came up with the idea for EQSOL. What inspired you to use that as a name?"

Hiro chuckled before answering. "Memories from primary school science classes." he said. "The four groups who make up the mega unit, Blossom, Spark, Dusk, and Crystal, all give off a different vibe from one another and it reminded me of the different seasons which then made me think of Equinoxes and Solstices and now we have EQSOL." he explained simply.

"Oh, that was much simpler than I thought." Kimiko deduced. "Another thing that I noticed that's unique about EQSOL is the name of the positions. Instead of using the standard terms "vocalist" and "performer", they are more distinct, what made you decide to do this?"

"They mirror the capabilities of these girls, what they specialize in doing and contribute to the group." Hiro nodded with a smile. "Plus, it's not bad to change things up every once in awhile." he ended before the cameras went over to the girls as they continued their individual, frames jumping from member to member.

“So, why do you think you were given these specific titles by Yang Hyunsuk-ssi and Hiro-ssi? What do they mean to you?” asked Youngsook. Yilin was the first to answer.

“Well, I was told I have a smooth and fresh tone of voice. My range isn’t super impressive as of yet but it’s distinctive.” she said before she let out a short giggle. “Hiro said it was “smooth like butter” to sum it all up.”

“Well I think I match my position because of my go with the flow vibe that comes from how I grew up and translates into my rap style, as sajangnim said.” added Jaylen. "Overall, I feel it mirrors the way that we interpret our craft as artist." she added and Youngsook nodded.

"So what does music or performing mean to you?" she asked.

“To me, music is like a story. The composition and arrangement is the idea, the lyrics are the words and performing brings it to life.” Yuna explained. “Each song can tell a different story and I want to be a great songwriter-composer who can tell a story people can relate to.”

“Performing is a way I can express myself.” Seyoung answered honestly, though still with a nonchalant expression. “I’m not really the most talkative person in the group but through music I...feel I’m able to say more, if that makes sense.”

“Music is a way to escape from a tough reality.” Serena said while thinking things over. “An outlet for frustrations."

"What frustrations did you want to escape from?"

Serena thought for a second before she exhaled. “Close to...everything.”

(Back in YG Entertainment’s practice facilities...Serena and Cassie were practicing dance moves together)

“And bam bam bam.” Serena said while doing the choreo. “Drop and slide.” she ended. Cassie then proceeded to do the steps and this time her penguin tendencies were controlled as she did them properly. “Excellent.” the older girl nodded.

“Finally! OMG!” Cassie cheered as Serena smiled.

"Okay, now on to the next part. We'll-"

"Reeeeeeena~!" yelled a voice. Cameras turned and spotted two females entered the studio. Two girls, one seemingly in their mid-20s while the other was a teenager, entered the room and the camera crew couldn't help but notice how much they resembled Serena.

"Amanda? Emily? What are you guys doing here?" asked the main rapper.

"The name stealer didn’t show up, I see. Didn’t want to be overshadowed by the true awesomeness of this Cassandra Lee!” Cassie inquired smugly as the others rolled their eyes.

“No, she had intern duties to tend to but she did send her regards to and I quote “my precious baby sister and that 8ft tall, name stealing, toddler who couldn’t find paper so she decided to scribble all over her hair”, end quote.” Amanda stated as she nodded. Cassie’s mouth fell open as Emily and Serena snorted.

“She is so mean to me, I don’t deserve this.” Cassie huffed. “That’s why I’m taller than her.”

“Oh, she means well and adores you. But back to why we came here.” Emily explained as she held out a bag of treats to her little sister. “Lenny made bungeoppang and told us to bring some over to spread the love.”

“Awesome!” said Serena. “I don’t think there’s going to be enough for the others though.”

“But there’s like 20 in there?” Amanda asked with a raised brow.

“Exactly, her point.” Cassie chuckled. “We've been practicing for about 2 hours now and the hunger is starting to kick in.” she admitted as the other girls laughed before the scene transitioned back to Serena.

“I'm originally from Los Angeles and lived there until middle school rolled around then we moved to South Korea. My sisters and dad had an easier time adjusting to everything but it was hard for me, y’know, with moving thousands of miles from everything I've known. Plus my dad was always hammered with his company work so I could never really confide in him.”

“What about your mom?” Youngsook asked, most innocently.

“She's...not around anymore.” Serena said awkwardly.

Youngsook chastised herself internally. “I'm so sorry for your loss.” she said as if Serena's biological kin passed away.

“I didn't mean that she died...she just chose not to be in our family.” Serena clarified and Youngsook felt even worse about letting the whole “mom” thing slip.

“I am so sorry, Serena-ssi.”

Serena offered a smile while shaking her head. “It's fine, I mean this is a tell all and you didn’t know. Most people wouldn’t expect a mother to just abandon their children, especially their daughters, but it happened to me. A few of us in this group have this kind of family dilemma actually.” she paused. “I’m half Filipina and I would’ve liked to have her around so I could learn more about that part of my heritage. I would’ve liked to have that mother-daughter bond with her that some of the other girls have with their moms but it didn’t work out that way. I just have to move on and live my life.” Serena said before smiling.

“I relate to Serena so much since my mom isn’t around, not dead but just decided to leave our family for a new one. I feel like I’m the most sentimental person in EQSOL and feel bad to say this in a way but, if I’m completely honest, I wouldn’t say I was sad about it.” Roza admitted slowly.

Youngsook was slightly shocked. “Oh?”

“I know at first, she was nice but as time went on she seemed like a dictator, never listening to what I had to say. I feel there’s a difference between being a mother and a mom. To me, a mother is someone who gives birth to you and that’s about it but a true mom is willing to try and understand their child, who’ll find a way to support their child’s happiness, who does everything to show that they care and I got none of that. My feelings were pushed aside to appease her and no one should have to deal with that. Sadly, it took me 18 years to learn that.”

(In YG Entertainment’s practice room, Roza, Yilin and Riya sat around in a small circle with papers in the middle…)

“Why are we being so old school?” Chariya asked as she held up the sheet. “We do have a thing called “technology”, hint, hint, hint.”

“Technology can short circuit and crash and delete everything.” Yilin responded while she tapped out a beat with her pencil.

“But...paper can rip and get soaked.”

“I just like the vintage and old school feel of writing on paper, okay? The greats of the past such as Chopin and Beethoven didn’t have Steve Jobs during their time and look at them.”

“You want vintage? There are filters on IPads and hippie stickers for cases so you can make it all vintage-y and fulfill your heart’s desire. Steve Jobs would have wanted that for you.” Chariya continued to sass and Yilin was annoyed but she didn’t have a truly intimidating bone in her body. So when the Loudi native glared at the newest sassy main rapper, her brows were furrowed as she puffed her cheeks in a cute fashion, it amused the youngest girl immensely. She was every bit of EQSOL’s “kitten”, right down to the core. “Meow~!” teased the girl.

Roza laughed at her younger members. “Leave Yilin alone, Chariya. She’s part of the maestro squad so we’re bound to have a few hits when Spark debuts.” she inquired and Riya sighed before shrugging. Soon they heard a knock at the door and when they looked up, they saw it was one of their Korean managers, Lee Soobin. “Unnie? Hey, what’s up?” asked the leader.

Soobin smiled. “You have a couple of little visitors.” she said right before two little clones ran into the room, long brown hair, large brown eyes, slightly European features and an uncanny resemblance to Roza.

“Roza!” the two exclaimed as they ran towards their big sister, knocking the girl down from the sudden impact. A subtle groan left Roza’s throat before she smiled.

“Hi, munchkins.” said the main dancer as she sat up hugging the twins, Natalya and Alisa, loosely.

“I’ll just leave this here.” Soobin said as she put a basket on the bench near the door before leaving.

“Papa made sandwiches for you guys.” said Alisa.

“And we helped~!” added Natalya as the Spark girls smiled.

“Really? Thank you so much!” she said before kissing them and showering them with affection, too much affection as they (mainly Natalya) eventually struggled to get away. Roza sulked just a little bit as Natalya went over to wrap her arms around Yilin as she peered over the smooth main vocal’s shoulder. Natalya had really taken a liking to the older which was really weird to Roza since Natalya, unlike Alisa, was a rambunctious little terror while Yilin was a total girl next door, a weird combination that’s been going on for over two years. YIlin turned slightly and lightly squished Natalya’s cheek, smiling genuinely.

“Hello little friend.” the Chinese girl greeted before looking back to her music sheets.

“Whatcha doing?” asked Natalya.

“Writing the music for upcoming songs, mainly after our debut.”

“Why are you using paper and pencil? I thought most singers use a computer or a tablet or a phone, like Taylor Swift. She uses her IPhone.” said the blunt 8 year old and the main vocalist sat her pencil down on the floor and held her face in her hands, so done with everyone and everything. Menboong…

Chariya cackled with extreme amusement like the little she is. “Glad I’m not the only one to think this way.” she said and Roza just sighed before the camera panned back to her being interviewed.

“I had to raise my little sisters ever since they were five and tried my best to be a positive role model for them. I thank my mother for giving me them and birthing me but we are in a better place and have been for years.” Roza nodded. “Plus my dad, Ivan, is Russian and barely knows basic Korean but has been trying his best to help with making living here in Korea much easier for all of us. He’s a total rockstar.”

“Like Roza, I’ve also had a really caring maternal figure.” Serena said as she smiled. “I had Lenny.”

“Lenny is the one who made snacks for you?” Youngsook asked, happy to see a smile being placed on her face.

“Yeah, she always feeds her our group. When she cooks food, she’ll sometimes go out of her way to make a lot for our group.” Serena answered before the camera turned to Cassie.

“Lenny is so awesome and such a great cook!”

“I don’t eat a lot of meat but she is considerate of that and would make me a special dish even though she doesn't have to. She really looks out for us.” Gigi added. “Roza’s dad is pretty good in the kitchen as well and I think they should collaborate at some point in time~!”

“She's always been there for me. Even if she was just a nanny, she understood me and my sisters and I see her as being like my mom. She gets me which is why I'm doing okay now.” the fierce main rapper nodded before smiling.

Youngsook smiled. “Well a big thanks to Lenny and Ivan-ssi for influencing EQSOL’s fierce main rapper and y main dancer.”

“Yay, role models~!” Roza cheered like the macaroon cheerleader that she is.

“Yes, this group would be so lost without me.” she said vainly while flicking her hair back as the older woman chuckled but continued on with the questions.

“I see that Roza is from Russia and Serena is from California but EQSOL also other members who aren’t from South Korea. Where are you guys from?”

“Well, I’m from Los Angeles, like Serena. That’s probably why we can truly get along so well, I think.” Cassie started off.

“Well, I was born in Seoul but my family moved to Australia when I was really young so I was practically raised there.” answered Seulhye.

“I was born and raised in Sydney, Australia. I came to Seoul when I was 18 to live with my grandmother.” said Jaylen.

“I’m originally from Bangkok, Thailand and moved here to live with my cousin a couple years ago.” added Chariya.

“Like Moscow raised Roza, I was also born in a cold, cold, COLD place but in my case it’s Sapporo, Japan but I moved to Changsha when I was little and was primarily raised there. After some time I finally came to Korea.” explained Yueqin.

“I’m also from the Hunan area in China, like Yueqin, but I’m from Loudi.” Yilin nodded.

“I was born in Madrid and lived in Japan for a little while after that but I was primarily raised in Cleveland, Ohio before I came to South Korea 4 years ago.” Yuna added and Youngsook looked shocked.

“Cleveland...Ohio?” she said slowly with a strong Korean accent as Yuna snorted.

“Hey, it might be 10 times smaller and not as mainstream as Los Angeles and New York City or as cool sounding as the other places the girls listed but that is home.” she defended while laughing. “Halle Berry is from there, Lebron James plays basketball there, and it’s about an hour away from what I believe to be the best amusement park in the U.S...after Disney World, that is.” she added and Youngsook laughed.

“So, how has Korea been treating you guys?”

“Honestly, it was a major transition.” Yilin started. “I think that’s just a general rule for when you come to a new country since the language and culture is so different from what you’ve been used to.”

“With me, I was discovered while on vacation with my family in New York so when I came to Korea, the only thing I could say in Korean was “hello, my name is Yuna” and ask where the bathroom was.” Yuna chuckled. “I’ve come a long way from those days even though my Korean is still really bad but I’m grateful to the native Korean members.”

“I’ve grown up in a not truly traditional Korean, surfer household so my language skills can be a little rusty at times.” Jaylen admitted. “But being in the country has helped polish my skills.”

“Even though, I’m half Korean and have lived here for a while, I still have trouble with mastering it.” Roza admitted. “I swear Yilin is probably a lot better at Korean compared to me and she’s not even Korean.”

“They are actually really good at understanding.” Eunkyung admitted. “But sometimes they’ll respond in a language that they’re most comfortable with.”

“If you speak to Yilin, Yueqin, or Yuna, they’ll respond to you in Mandarin or Japanese.” Seyoung admitted. “If you speak to Roza, she’ll answer in Russian sometimes and throw all of us completely off. Then there is Serena who’ll throw out some random Tagalog from time to time or Yuna who’ll speak Spanish.”

“If you speak to any of the English line, they’ll answer you in English.” Gigi added. “I think it’s cool because we have like our own alien code and dialect. The foreign members get to learn Korean but at the same time us Korean natives get to learn a bunch of different languages as well. It’s fun.”

Youngsook smiled. “It seems like you guys really enjoy each other.”

Seulhye nodded. “Yeah, we do. You know how a lot of people who are thrown together, don’t get along with each other? Well that’s not how it is with us.” she explained. “They accept me for who I am, flaws and all, and are like my best friends, my sisters and I wouldn’t trade them for anything.”

“Yeah, we argue...like all the time. Sometimes it's us being ridiculous while other times serious but there hasn’t been an argument we couldn’t come back from.” Eunkyung nodded.

“I’m still the newbie of the group but they still try their best to make things comfortable for me.” Chariya said. “It’ll take some time but I can truly say I’m optimistic about the future.”

“Well, soon we’ll get to see how this bond works out.” Youngsook said. “Soon, we’ll follow the girls to their living quarters and see how they live in that setting.”

“Oh man, now you guys are following us home?” Serena snickered. “Oh boy.”

“May the force be with you~!” said Gigi while doing the “we come in peace” hand sign from Star Trek, which made the interviewer snicker in response.

(Stay tuned for Part 2 of The Real EQSOL~!)  


Author's Note
Heeeeeeeeeeeey, guys~! I did it~! Yes, I did it~! I finished finally~! *sings own parody of the Spica single* I miss them T_T. I know it's been a minute since an update but yo, midterms and everything leading up to midterms were a total and I started a photo gallery pfft and yeah. But anyway, I hope you enjoyed this even if just a little bit lol. Shoutout to my little ballerina sister for teaching me some of these terms XD. There was a lack of dialogue/background reveals for some characters but that was intentional due to what I have planned for the next part. So yeah, now I can start working on these essays...yay...

I can't wait for winter break, y'all just don't know XD.

See you next time for part 2~!!!