Analysis

Remember me

 

Firstly, thank you for reading!! It doesn't matter whether you subscribed, upvoted or commented but I hope you liked it :) 

Okay so, an analysis of the drabble was requested and here it is; 

 

He watches how life escapes her doe eyes with each sunrise and sunset and it breaks him.  

The OC, Chanyeol's lover, has Alzheimer and each day, when she wakes up, she forgets about the past little by little. She used to be really cheerful and lively but as the days past, she couldn't remember what she lived for. 'Life' just seem to fade from her day by day. It was the playful glint in her bright eyes that Chanyeol fell deeper in love with her and it was slowly dying out. It doesn't mean Chanyeol doesn't love her any lesser but it hurts for him to watch as she gradually becomes an empty shell.

 

It breaks him every time she gives him a foreign look before recognition hits her.

I don't think I need to explain this much but like I said above, she forgets bits of the past each day and sometimes, she forgets Chanyeol; she forgets the days they spent together, the little moments and the memories made. She struggles to remember and she barely remembers Chanyeol

 

He wakes up, chest tight and already exhausted by the thought of the day ahead but he peers down and gets his strength back. He pulls her closer and his head dips down to find comfort in her black locks, tears already b in his eyes.

Chanyeol wakes up tired of the day ahead because he knows that she will forget about them again and giving up was an option just a fingertip away but when he looks down to see her in his arms, sleeping peacefully, he feels as if he's on the verge of breaking down. Why? Why must it be her? Why must life be so unfair? He believes that they, too, deserve a happy ever after but why can't they have it? When he looks at her, he is reminded of the days they spent together, the happy ones, the sad ones, the ones spent in hope, he gets encouraged by that and is determined to make her remember even if he has to remind her everyday. 

 

“I’m sorry.” Came a muffled reply.

It surprises Chanyeol because it was different from their usual mornings where she would wake up, pure and as blank as a sheet. It was different because she wakes up remembering and it comes at a crucial moment because as said above, Chanyeol wanted to give up. How she woke up remembering, even something so small, serves as an encouragement for Chanyeol, it was the miracle he was searching for. 

 

“I’m sorry for the past few years.” Chanyeol stiffen. “Thank you for remembering who I am even when I forget. Thank you for remembering our yesterdays. Thank you for remembering us.”

She remembers how Chanyeol struggled through the past few years, hopeless and she thanks him when she still remembers. She thanks him for keeping her grounded, remembering their precious memories, remembering who she was before this, remembering their past. Chanyeol breaks down because he couldn't hold on any longer, tired and exhausted but he doesn't give up on them, for he had rediscovered the reason why he held on for so long.