He Got Blinded by Beauty

The Moonflower Hotel
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yeonsuk ended up telling Bum a lot about his life. It was fun for both of them and they found out they had a lot in common. The only difference was the time they were coming from. Bum was the man of the 21st Century while Yeonsuk was the man of the 19th Century. Of course, he couldn’t say anything that would lead Bum to realize that. They were watched by the white wolf.

On the way back, Bum couldn’t help but remember another story that his mother told him.

“This one is about Hera. My mother was very intrigued by that Goddess. She used to say she was a victim of a erted society.” He chuckled and looked down at the snow.  “If only she’d see me now.” He mumbled to himself.

“Your mother loved ancient Greece, didn’t she?” Bum nodded.

“She’s a history teacher. She has a soft spot for Greece but she’s never been there.” Yeonsuk smiled as he started to remember things from his own past.

“My mother loved Egypt. It was one of those places you had to visit if you had money.” Bum tilted his head to the side and blinked.

“Did you?” Yeonsuk nodded.

“My father was an explorer. He died in Egypt. That’s why, no matter how much she loved that country, my mother swore she was never going to visit it ever again.” Bum sighed and patted his friend for comfort. “They died a long time ago but it feels like yesterday.”

“I don’t know how that feels. But the memories will always be with you. If anything happens to my mom, I’d always have her stories in my mind.” Yeonsuk chuckled.

“That sounded like something a woman would say.” Bum narrowed his eyes at the older man and hit him playfully.

“I am a sensible man.” Yeonsuk scoffed.  

 

When they got back, Youngmin was standing in front of the door, staring at them with his icy eyes.

“What are you doing here, Youngmin?” The boy didn’t even blink.  Are you guarding the entrance, like a loyal dog?” Yeonsuk’s words were mean but they were true. Of course, Bum didn’t know that.

“There’s going to be a new guest. I’m waiting for him.” His voices sounded the same. Yeonsuk raised an eyebrow and glanced at Bum before he opened the door.

Inside was warm and cozy. Yeonsuk walked into the restaurant and ordered two glasses of wine. Bum remained in the foyer. He was ready to give Jaejin his jacket back but the boy stared at him with blank eyes. He didn’t sketch any expression but he did point to the back door. Bum nodded and put the jacket back where he took it from.

As he was walking out of the room, he heard a knock. He turned quickly but there was nothing. The back room was full of a lot of things but none could knock. He brushed it off and went to his friend. On the way, he passed the reception. Jaejin vanished from his seat. Bum stared at his desk until he entered the restaurant.

“Have you looked at the reception?” Yeonsuk raised an eyebrow.

“What for?” The younger man shrugged and sat next to Yeonsuk. He grabbed the glass of wine and swayed it around before he took a sip. Yeonsuk was watching him like a hawk.

“I know this is an old hotel but I didn’t see a phone. Not even an old one.” Yeonsuk blinked for a few seconds before he turned his head to the front.

“And?”  Bum turned completely towards the older man.

“How do they get guests? They can’t make any arrangements on the phone and can’t even get resources. No one will come all the way here without a proof that this hotel is any good.” Yeonsuk looked to the side and masked his reaction by drinking wine. “And how can they afford taking care of it? They need money for everything to look like it does.”

“They have enough money. This hotel is special, Bum . This hotel is compelling.” Yeonsuk glanced at him, to see if he got the subtle hint. Bum was completely oblivious. “Look, you have to see beyond the beauty. See it for what it actually is.” The older man was surprised. Yeonsuk suddenly turned around and seemed bothered by something.

“And what is it, Yoo Yeonsuk?” Both men turned around to face a woman. She was dressed in a red long dress and her hair was pulled back into an old style. Her eyes were enchanting. He put the glass down and got on his feet. He was captivated by those big eyes of hers. “Well?” She raised an eyebrow and stared at them in a certain way that made Bum’s heart tremble a little.

“Nothing. It’s nothing.” He spit the words out before he finished his drink.

It was obvious for everyone that Yeonsuk knew the lady. However, the atmosphere between them was awkward.

“My name is Kim Bum.” She moved her eyes from the younger man to him. She smiled and bowed her head in greeting. He grabbed her hand and kissed it on the back, as the gentleman he was.

“Son Nari.”

Yeonsuk watched the interaction between the two. She was looking at him with that usual mask she was wearing when she would meet someone new. On the other hand, he could see the thrill on Bum’s face. He knew something was off with her from the first glance but that didn’t stop him from wanting to know more. Of course, Yeonsuk was a young foolish boy back then. If only he would’ve figured it out sooner.

A young man entered the foyer of a hotel he found in haste. It was winter and he needed to spend one night somewhere before getting back on the road.

“Mister, welcome to the Moonflower Hotel.” Back then, Jaejin wasn’t the receptionist; a woman was. She smiled kindly at him and grabbed his jacket. “It’s snowing outside, isn’t it?” Yeonsuk nodded. “How can I help you?” Her smile was sweet. She was that kind of woman who could make you feel welcomed anywhere; even in a pit.

“I need a roo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter