Once Upon a Time, There Was a Man

The Moonflower Hotel
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Did I tell you, my darling, the story of Dionysus?” A mother asked her child. 

He was only six years old and didn’t know much about mythology or life but his curiosity was at its peak.

“Will you tell me mommy?” 

The woman smiled softly and nodded. She got in bed, next to him, and wrapped her arms around him.

“Dionysus was the god of fertility and wine later considered a patron of the arts. He created wine and spread the art of viticulture. He had a dual nature; on one hand, he brought joy and divine ecstasy; or he would bring brutal and blinding rage.” 

The kid grabbed his mother’s hand and listened with excitement. 

“His parents were Zeus and a human called Semele.”

“Zeus, like the one with the lightning?” The child asked from what he remembered from a cartoon. 

The mother chuckled and patted his head softly.

“Yes. He was his son. His mother was killed out of jealousy and he became immortal because his father saved him. The Titans ripped him to pieces; however, he was brought back to life. After this, Zeus arranged for his protection and gave him to the mountain nymphs to be raised.” 

The child smiled, “He got raised by fairies?” 

The woman nodded.

“Something like that. Let’s say, spirits of the forest.” The boy nodded and urged her to continue, “He loved his mother so much, even if he hadn’t met her. He journeyed into the underworld to find her and bring her back to life.” 

The boy frowned, “Did he find her?” 

His mother smiled and nodded. The kid wrapped his arms around her and hugged her tightly. 

“I’d do that too, mom. I’d go to the end of the world to find you.” 

The woman laughed and patted his back.

“I know you would.  But you have to be careful, Bum. There’s always someone lurking in the back, boiling with rage and jealousy. There’s always someone like Hera, who can’t accept reality.” The boy nodded, his eyes staring intensely at his mother, “Well, that’s it for tonight.” 

“Come on, mother. Tell me another story~” He started to whine.

The older woman looked upon him with loving eyes and kissed his forehead.

“Tomorrow night. I promise.” 

The boy, Bum, nodded and grabbed his teddy bear. The woman got up and turned off the lights. She took one last look at her son before she walked out.

“Bum! Bum, it’s morning,” 

He wasn’t in his home. Truthfully, he couldn’t remember whose home was it. 

“Bum,” 

The feminine voice sounded annoyed yet playfully so. She shook him twice before he opened his eyes and rolled on his back.

“Your husband is not home today, Jiyeon.” 

The girl rolled her eyes and hit him playfully. He chuckled and rolled over her. They messed around in the sheets until they found fit to get up and eat; that only mean a few more hours.

It was already lunch when Bum walked out of the bathroom, drying his short black hair with a towel.

“Hmm, smells good~” 

He walked behind Jiyeon and wrapped his arms around her waist, pulling her closer and kissing her neck. She liked it and made a noise that definitely showed Bum how much she liked it but it wasn’t time for that. She was cooking.

“We don’t have time for that. You said you have a huge project coming soon,” 

Bum left butterfly kisses along her neck until she hit him and he let her go. He walked and took a seat at the table.

“I do. But now is now and soon is still far.” She raised an eyebrow and laughed at his philosophy, “When did you say your husband will come back?” 

“Why? So you know when to leave?” Jiyeon .

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter