A Green Apron for Joonmyeon

Luhan Goes to Starbucks

Within the next half-hour, Luhan realized that Joonmyeon was not a very attractive individual but he was also very good at forging social bonds.

"I would like to work at Starbucks because it has such a rustic atmosphere, you know?"

No, Luhan didn't know. But he supposed it did. It very well could.

 "Also, I feel like it's a secret club that many desire access to, but few actually gain said access, you know?"

Wow, that was the greatest anology Luhan had ever heard. Gosh, wow.

"Luhan, can you please shut up and go away," Myungsoo, the conductor of the interview, hissed under his breath, "We're busy here."

Luhan huffed and reluctantly strolled away, wondering how Myungsoo had read his mind. It wasn't lIke Luhan had been talking out loud or anything. Nope, he was the quietest person he knew.

Jongdae, another barista working at this particular Starbucks, witnessed this exchange from the stone counter he was scrubbing and laughed annoyingly. "Luhan, you are so smooth, I could whip and blend you, like, uh, um, cream."

"Gee, what are the chances you and Myungsoo both work at the same Starbucks during the same shift?" Luhan shot back. The colour of Jongdae's cheeks darkened and he mumbled something incoherent about 'chance' and 'coincidences'. Whatever the heck that meant.

One could say Luhan had more amicable relationships with Jongdae and Myungsoo than the one he had with Kyungsoo. The other two baristas working during Kyungsoo's shift had been friends of Luhan's since high school. In fact, Luhan had been the one to introduce the two. And since then, Jongdae and Myungsoo had been in flirtations with Luhan's far-too-obvious encouragement .

"Jongdae, was it love at first sight? Do butterflies scamper in your tummy everytime you guys interact?" Despite being good friends, Luhan irritated Jongdae to absolutely no end. "What are you going to name your children? Can you please name at least one Luhan because that would be-"

Jongdae ignored him and walked into the back room, a place where no Luhans were permitted.


"Thanks, dude. We'll let you know." Myungsoo shook Joonmyeon's hand.

"Thank you!" Joonmyeon rose from the armchair. "Would it seem like I'm trying too hard if I bought a drink right now?"

Myungsoo laughed good-naturedly, "Well, we are technically closed right now. That's the reason why we could do your interview so soon."

Joonmyeon opened his mouth to apologize, but Myungsoo held up a hand. "It's fine, Joonmyeon. To be honest, I was already going to hire you anyway. Even after you called Starbucks a 'secret club'. Either way, welcome to the club."

"I realized after how unprofessional I sounded afterwords. I haven't had a job interview in a while. But really? I got the job? That's great! When do I start?"

"The mean side of me wants to say right now, but that would be very unfair. You start Monday," Myungsoo declared.

Luhan stared as Joonmyeon started to celebrate when Myungsoo turned his back. Maybe Joonmyeon could lighten up the atmosphere around the cafe for Luhan, as everyone else never seemed to want to play with him! Well, that was probably because they had to work, but nevertheless...

"Congrats Joonmyeon," he found himself saying.

"Thanks Luhan! I can't wait to get my green apron!" Joonmyeon began to skip towards the door. To Luhan, he looked as graceful as a gazelle prancing through a field of dandelions. And Joonmyeon remembered his name! Oh, what a wonderful afternoon this was!

Luhan started to spin stupidly towards the counter and nearly collided with a tired Kyungsoo in the process. The doe-eyed boy glared at him with the fire of a thousand suns in his eyes. "...Hehe, sorry Kyungsoo ah..." Luhan nervously apologized, "Didn't see you there."

Before Kyungsoo could gather the time to scream at him once more, Myungsoo and Jongdae reappeared from the back room.

"Guys, how adorable is that kid? He's so tiny and short I want to cuddle him and take him to get ice cream," Myungsoo expressed dopily.

Jongdae, on the other hand, looked rather unappelled. "Yes, I suppose the guy's pretty cute, but I can't help but think there's something about him that..." he trailed off, his statement left unfinished.

"That what?" Luhan frowned. "Jongdae, you can't just judge people without getting to know them first."

"Why not? That seems to be what all of you are doing," Jongdae pointed out. "All I'm saying is that we don't know too much about Joonmyeon to crown him Employee of the Month yet?"

Myungsoo blinked innocently in response. "Who said anything about Employee of the Month?"

"He's right," Luhan agreed.

"Joonmyeon is going to be Employee of the Year."


 Thanks to anybody who commented/voted/subscribed~