1/2

Aphonic

“He’s the nurse I talked you about, He’s Jongin, be nice to him.” Kyungsoo’s mother introduced the younger to her son. Kyungsoo only stared at the other for a minute before going back to his room. Jongin would say he didn’t have manners if he didn’t know about Kyungsoo’s illness. He was going to be a doctor but he couldn’t afford to go to university to study medicine. After secondary school he decided to be a nurse for patients who needed special care. He was an intern at the private clinic Kyungsoo’s doctor worked at. He was mainly there for the good amount of money he was offered but on the other hand he liked challenge so after hearing about how Kyungsoo was “problematic” he really wanted to break the ice and try to do the job.

Kyungsoo was selective mute so many of his previous caretakers has given up on warming up to the boy. It’s not that Kyungsoo enjoyed it, to torture the nurses. He was just like that. He was insecure to the point he decided to build a wall and close other out. His mother was the only one he trust but unfortunately she was a busy person, she often had to go to business trips. The previous nurses were all middle aged women with their motherly act, he didn’t like that.

“I’m sorry, he’s just shy, that’s why I though you would be great to help him out, you can be his friend, he just needs time to get used to you.” Jongin only bow and smiled.
“No worries Mrs. Do! I have learned a lot about mental illness and I know it must be hard to deal with him at first, but I’ll try my best.” Jongin answered and bow once again as Kyungsoo’s mother left.

Jongin decided to knock on Kyungsoo door but there was no answer.
“I’m coming in” He announced and entered the room. He saw the other laying on the floor and writing something on a paper.
“What are you doing?” He sat next to him and looked at the notebook Kyungsoo was using. He used different colors and colored the grid with different colors. The room was filled with puzzle toys, those you need to put together with much care. There were towers built of matchboxes, but the one that amazed Jongin was the one made of matches. It was a huge castle built of matched stick together. The younger went back to watching Kyungsoo who just finished coloring. He picked up the notebook and put it back to its place. That was when Jongin realized there was a huge bookshelf behind him. The books were ordered by the alphabet and even the sizes of the books matched in every shelf.

Apparently Kyungsoo was really precise about everything. There was a list of what he eats and when. It was listed by time. Looking at all the things he had to take care of Jongin’s head almost started to spin but he told himself that he can do it. Two weeks. That’s it. By the end of the first week he needed to make Kyungsoo trust him and get him to talk to him.

 

For Jongin’s surprise the exchange of words came earlier, it took two days to hear Kyungsoo talk. Until then Jongin would talk, ask Kyungsoo different things just to be left alone with his words unanswered.

“I don’t like you” Kyungsoo said on Wednesday end even though it was negative it made Jongin so happy.
“Why?” he asked but that question was left hanging in the air too. Kyungsoo heard it, he heard everything, but he didn’t have a reason to answer him. He didn’t like the feeling Jongin left him with every time after leaving his room. He didn’t like how he wasn’t able to utter a word even if he tried. He didn’t like himself rather than Jongin. He would never admit that though. He’s pitiful enough.

The same day Jongin has caught Kyungsoo outside, laying on the grass in the back yard. He got scared and ran out but he heard Kyungsoo utter words to himself.

“…34, 35, 36…” He went on and Jongin stayed beside him quietly. He remembered the previous days, even if he would ask him, he wouldn’t get an answer so he just left the boy do what he was doing. Once Kyungsoo reached ‘100’ he stood up and turned around just to fall back because Jongin was there.
“Are you ok?”
“Yeah, I just, you scared me.” This was the first nice sentence he heard from the boy and he went to help him up.
“That’s a relief. What were you doing?” Jongin got confidence to ask it though he was ready to be left alone again.
“Counting.”
“What?”
“The flowers there.” He pointed towards the flowers in the small garden by the fence.
“What kind of flowers are they?” Jongin find it a nice topic to talk about since Kyungsoo seems to like flowers.
“Star of Bethlehem” Kyungsoo answered simply and sat back now carefully, keeping a distance from Jongin but pulling him down too.
“They represent hope. I choose them a few years ago.” Kyungsoo smiled to himself before talking again.
“I hope to be able to share my thoughts, with anyone, not just one person.” This hit Jongin in the stomach and he felt really moved because he knows how hard it is for Kyungsoo to share thoughts let alone insecurities.

 

By the end of the first week they have talked relatively lot and Jongin started to get to know Kyungsoo. He had so many interests and it amazed Jongin how the boy can remember everything about that many things. Many times he just listened and sometimes Kyungsoo stopped mid-sentence because he though Jongin is bored but the younger kept on reminding him that he’s just amazed and that he doesn’t know much about the topic and told him to go on.

“…and here, it’s pretty great.” Kyungsoo said as he opened the owen they made a cake together and it really was great, it looked do great and tasted even better if you ask Jongin. This was the first time Kyungsoo looked into the other’s eyes and laughed sincerely. Jongin noted to himself that their relationship is improving. That night it was raining hard and Kyungsoo hated thunders. No matter what he did he couldn’t fall asleep and even though he wasn’t fond of the idea he knocked on the door of Jongin’s room. A sleepy “Come in” was heard through the door and Kyungsoo entered the room.

“I…Can I sleep here? I’ll be good on the floor too, just…I can’t stand thunder.” Kyungsoo said while nervously fidgeting with his fingers.
“What? Sure.”Jongin only processed the first half, he was so sleepy. When he saw Kyungsoo putting a blanket on the floor he was so confused.
“Are you not coming?” Jongin asked as he lifted the cover and motioned for Kyungsoo to slip into the same bed. The older blushed when he saw Jongin was half , wearing only boxers and looked away immediately.
“No, I’m fine here.”
“You’ll get a cold” Jongin said and stood up to drag Kyungsoo into the bed with him. He pulled the cover over themselves and turned his back to Kyungsoo’s. It was the first time he has seen the other without a shirt on, also the first time the touched for so long, for more than a blink of an eye. Jongin’s touches would linger here and there sometimes, but Kyungsoo has realized that the other is really touchy.

Jongin wasn’t used to sleeping with others, especially not with someone who made him feel all weird and nervous. He sighed and turned around just to face Kyungsoo’s sleeping face. He looked like a child. He was slightly shaking and the other had the urge to hug him, pull him into his chest and smell his soft dark hair. He fell asleep while staring at Kyungsoo.

Jongin woke up in the middle of the nigh shivering. Kyungsoo has pulled the covers off of him and was curled up to them, still shaking. Half asleep, he pulled the covers lightly but just then Kyungsoo turned around, facing him once again. Once he released the covers Jongin pulled it on himself and the other curled to his chest. He sighed before hugging him. After a few minutes the shaking stopped and they both fell asleep peacefully.

Waking up to a Monday morning with the sun shining Jongin found himself tangled with Kyungsoo. Their arms and legs were linked together and he remembered the night when he pulled the other to himself. He smiled while blushing and tried to get out of the grip Kyungsoo had on him, but he failed and the older woke up. They immediately pulled apart and awkwardly got out of the bed.
“Sorry.” Jongin said and got dressed.  Kyungsoo didn’t say anything just left. The younger left for the kitchen and made breakfast, toast. At 8 o’clock he called for Kyungsoo but the other didn’t answer. It was as if they went back a week when he just came here.

“Kyungsoo hyung, the breakfast is ready.” He opened the door to Kyungsoo’s room and found the other drawing something. He walked closer but the notebook snapped closed and Kyungsoo threw it on the floor when he realized that Jongin was in his room.
“What is it?”
“Breakfast.” He cleared his throat and they walked to the kitchen.

“You know, about when you said you disliked me…” Jongin started, it bothered him ever since then, why didn’t he like him?
“What about that?” Kyungsoo asked back and ate his toast.
“Why?”
“You just…you are everything I’m not. You make me even more insecure.” Kyungsoo said in a low tone and Jongin let out and ‘oh’.
“But, do you still feel the same?”
“Yes, you still are better than I am. In everything.” Jongin didn’t like the answer, he knew how intelligent Kyungsoo was and that the other knew what he meant.
“Not that.”
“Maybe not.”
“So you like me?” Jongin asked without thinking through the question and Kyungsoo blushed before he added “As a friend. Am I your friend?” Kyungsoo only nodded, still embarrassed.
“Not just…” Kyungsoo didn’t finish because Jongin’s phone rang.

“Yeah…Yes. Today. Yes.” Jongin talked through the phone and actually Kyungsoo was glad, he could think about what he wanted to say. Jongin finished talking on the phone and asked back
“Not just what?” Kyungsoo looked down and mumbled something before repeating it louder this time.
“Not just as a friend. Maybe.” Jongin’s jaw fell and he stared at the boy in awe.
“You mean…” He didn’t want to say it, because maybe he misunderstood.
“I’m in love with you, I think.”
Jongin walked next to Kyungsoo and leaned down to him. Their lips were centimeters apart for a slight minute, Jongin considered if he’s going to hurt Kyungsoo’s sensitive-to-touch self. The older though closed the gap between them and pulled away on instant. His face turned red and he covered his eyes with his hands while giggling.
“Sorry…” Kyungsoo said and looked at the other with an apologetic look.
“It’s okay. We don’t have to hurry things.” Jongin said with a smile and went back to his chair after hugging Kyungsoo.

The older’s heart was about to explode, it was beating so fast he thought it might just stop but he liked the feeling. Jongin smiled to himself as he washed up before walking to Kyungsoo’s room.
“What are you doing?” He asked the other once he was in the room and seeing Kyungsoo scribbling something again he wanted to see it so bad. The older showed him literally everything he did but he’s so secretive about that one piece. He walked beside the bed and stopped there as he looked down on the paper. It was him. A portrait of him. Kyungsoo drew it without looking at him and it looks exactly like him. Kyungsoo was shocked to see him there and just lowered his head while slowly closing the notebook. He was red one again. Jongin smiled at how cute he was though he knew it must be the worst to him to feel ashamed about everything.

“Don’t stare” Jongin didn’t even realize he was looking at the other until he asked him not to.
“Why not? You look great” He said and sat next to the other. He was glad Kyungsoo was comfortable with him being close now. If he thinks back to their first day, he feels that many things changed. They cuddled for a while before dozing off and falling asleep. They woke up refreshed and crawled out of the comfy bed.
“Do you want to go somewhere?” Jongin asked the older and smiled.
“Where?”
“I don’t know. The truth is, we should go grocery shopping but maybe on our way we could drop in somewhere and have food?”
“Is there a place with no people around?” Jongin almost forgot about how Kyungsoo didn’t like crowded places. He started to think and only one thing came into his mind though he wouldn’t go there gladly.”

 

They entered a quiet restaurant when Sehun, Jongin’s friend worked. They were the best friends back in the days but school and new people separated them though they still are friends.
“Hun!” He said as a greeting when walking to the counter.
“Hey!” Sehun smiled and asked them what they wanted to have.
After their order was taken Jongin told the older to sit anywhere he feels comfortable. As he was about to leave after him Sehun stopped him and asked several questions like “Is he your boyfriend? Is it a date? Where did you find him? If he’s not your boyfriend can I have him?” Jongin didn’t even answer all of the question just said a really loud “No!” At the last question. Sehun motioned him to chill and they continued to talk.
“So? Why so protective?”
“He’s mine.” Kyungsoo overheard it and smiled to himself. He liked Jongin more and more as time passed. He didn’t mind him walking so close to him in the grocery store also he always focused on him though that might be just instinct.

Kyungsoo was thankful to have such a great person next to him.

 


Didn't read it through, I'll do it once I post the other chapter :)) Please comment! ♥