Empty Hallway

Third Times the Charm

Kibum gasped, his face turning blood red as he saw Jonghyun round the corner of the hallway. His heart started to thud harder inside of his tightening chest as he turned away from the nearing boy. Shoving his face into his locker, Key sighed and bit onto his bottom lip. This is not how freshman year was supposed to start out. It was supposed to be a fresh beginning of simple, carefully planned out study dates and staying up late finishing advanced homework for his classes, not falling in love with an upperclassman and having to avoid making an idiot out of himself.

 

It was empty in the hallway except for the dance team students. There had been an early practice that Kibum had been forced to attend, despite his hatred for early morning anything. He expected it to be safe, it was too early for anyone to willingly want to wake up. But all of those plans had flown out the window when he saw the orchestra room open for early morning practice.

 

Jonghyun was first chair violinist in his school's orchestra, a prodigy born into the world playing his instrument the second he could fondle the bow in his chubby fingers. So, it was expected that whenever the music room was open for morning practice the silver haired boy would be the first one to claim a spot.

 

The quiet footsteps grew in intensity as Jonghyun moved down the hallway toward Key. He closed his eyes and whimpered quietly, willing the stupid butterflies to leave his stomach. Dance Kibum, you have to go to dance. Inhaling deeply, the raven haired boy quickly gathered his dance shoes and jazz pants quickly. He needed to evacuate the area before Jonghyun got any closer and he could make a complete fool out of himself. Apparently, when you have a massive crush on someone, you lose the ability to function like a human.

 

Swiftly Kibum backed up from his locker, praying he had enough time to scramble for the dance room. All of his prayers had apparently had gone to the wrong god and he smashed directly into Jonghyun’s side. Inside Kibum was falling apart as he tumbled to the floor, smacking his tailbone in the process of trying to catch himself. He swore as his head smacked the cold tile. Everything turned a bit hazy but Kibum was able to keep himself conscious. He lay on the floor in pain for a few seconds before he felt a presence hovering over him.  

 

“Hey, are you okay?” Kibum's eyes fluttered open quickly as he felt warm, minty breath fan out across his face. He let out a quiet scream and flicked his head upward, successfully colliding foreheads with the elder.

 

“Crap!” The youngest yelled, pulling his head back a bit and rubbing his wounded forehead.

 

The collision of foreheads caused Jonghyun to fall onto his , rubbing injured forehead as well. “Ouch dude, I was just trying to make sure you weren’t knocked out.” He chuckled a bit

The silver haired boys voice was melodious, his laughter sounding as if a thousand bells chimed in sync with each other. It caused Kibum's cheeks to swell with blood, crimson burning into the cubby skin and painting his whole face. Scurrying to collect his things, Kibum stood up and bowed profusely towards his hyung.

 

“I’m so sorry hyung, this is all my fault.” His voice was breathless and shaky with the embarrassment that evidently stained his face.

 

Jonghyun smiled a dazzling grin, grabbing his backpack and violin case as he stood up. “Dont worry about it. It was an accident. Just hope my precious here isn’t too banged up.”

 

Key sighed in relief, nodding his head and smiled shyly at Jonghyun. His hands were shaking a bit and the butterflies erupted into a fluttering hurricane.

 

“I’m Jonghyun, by the way.” He bowed politely to Kibum.

 

I know.. Kibum wanted to say, but he probably looked awkward enough standing in front of the taller boy. Plus, it would sound kinda creepy to say he knew everything about a man he’d never met before.

 

He bowed as well, a bit deeper than Jonghyun. “I’m Kibum, but I prefer Key.”

 

The eldest chuckled a bit. “You don’t have to treat me so formally. We’re students, not business partners.”

 

Kibum's bit onto his bottom lip and nodded, gnawing into the pink skin. He felt a bit light headed. It wasn’t this often that he got to be in such close proximity of someone he was completely obsessed with. The best he had ever done was sitting three tables away from him in the library, having almost stalker like tendencies.

 

Wow, the more I think about it the creepier I sound… Before Kibum and Jonghyun could say another word, a voice shouted from down the hallway. “Key-Umma! Hurry up, we need you in formation if we’re going to finish choreographing the competitions dance!” A golden head of hair peaked out of the dance room, a feminine boy with shoulder length hair motioning for Key to hurry.

 

“Coming Minnie!” Key smiled bashfully. “Sorry, I have to get back to practice..” He trailed off a bit, all the nerves in his body wanting to do anything but run back into the dance room filled with way too much estrogen for his liking.

 

Jonghyun nodded his head. “Its alright, I understand. I need to get back to practice as well.”

 

Before Kibum could run back to the dance room though, Jonghyun took a step forward, closing the distance between the two. “You should say hi more often.” He leaned his head towards Kibum's face, noses almost touching and Kibum sure there was absolutely no more blood in the rest of his body.

 

As quickly as it happened, Jonghyun pulled away. “Bye Bummie.” Jonghyun waved his hand, turned, and ran off towards the music rooms before the youngest could even process what had happened.


Kibum was left a blushing mess in an empty hallway due to his crush, who may or may not be completely in to him.