Remembrance

Confessions of a Dangerous Mind

 

 

 


Saturday, 12th December
10:50am

After writing their last notes, the four women nodded to each other in agreement. Snow threatening the skyline of the countryside, they were backed into a dangerous position.

‘They know us, and they brought us all the way out here on purpose. They know our habits, and how we react in crisis.’ Pushing her hair back, TaeRin dragged it up into a high pony tail. ‘They knew one of us would suggest going to get supplies, but some would disagree.’ Digging through her pocket, the eldest twitched. ‘And the point of it is to break us up and have us turn on each other so we fail.’

“So, who wants to go and get food?”

“Is that a good idea?”

“The wording was very specific: ‘if we try to tell anyone about our situation, then...’, we’re ed. It never said anything about anything else.” KiSe warmed her hands in her pockets as she recalled the threat. “They knew we wouldn’t be able to continue without food, and they knew we would know that.”

Holding her hand up meekly, HaNeul spoke. “I have some food for the club in the trailer of my truck, but it all needs cooking.”

TaeRin spat from her perch of the car bonnet. “I’m not sure whether that’s suspicious, or lucky.”

Eyes travelling to the speaker, HaNeul held her hands out. “Then you’re free to make the next call. Oh wait, you’ve been doing that all along.”

Just then, the other two girls shot looks to each other. This was not part of the plan.

Half drank bottle about to reach her lips, the eldest pause with a sharp side-glower. “Just because you buttered me up with some ego-boosting bull earlier doesn’t mean I still won’t shoot you.” As soon as she’d finished speaking, TaeRin chugged at her bottle, her line of sight still firmly fixed on her enemy.

Had enough with the bullying, HaNeul snapped under the pressure. “Then say it, TaeRin. Say that you haven’t been directing every turn this far.”

Rolling her eyes at the accusations which seemed so childish, the woman did nothing but lean back over the heated windscreen. “’This far’ implies that you know there is going to be a change in order.” She used her lawyers brain to flip the argument and shift blame.

“No, I just hope so.”

“Then let us have a vote on what do do?” Holding up her beer, TaeRin hummed .“Everyone gets their chance to speak, and then the majority decides.” She inclined the bottle without so much as a hitch in breath.

Throwing a pointing finger out that instance, HaNeul shook her head. “But you still have the edge with KiSe.”

Lounging as if she was taking a vacation in the Bahama’s, TaeRin chucked her empty bottle aside. Pausing to take in a deep breath, she used the bottle opener on her keyring to open the cap of another drink. “You’ve known both of us for more than twenty years. Do you think she would chose my pride over TaeHyung’s life? Do you think she would choose my pride over any of their lives?” Popping the cap, the eldest caught it in her left hand and brought the booze to her lips. “Do you think I would play around with their lives?”

“I respect KiSe, I really do, so don’t make me say such horrible things.” HaNeul’s nerve hit the defensive again.

Tensing her left cheek and humming, the eldest shrugged. “I’m not asking you say anything you don’t want to. I’m just asking for you to not cut me off before you even listen.”

Suddenly angered by the lax attitude and remark, HaNeul bit. “It was so easy for you to say you don’t trust me earlier. Deal with it.”

Humming, the eldest tilted her head in understanding. Dropping her guard to the back of the group, she rolled onto off the front of the hired vehicle and her feet met the snow with a grunt. Giving in surprisingly easily, the eldest merely shrugged. “Whatever you say, HaNeul.” Swing her bottle in one hand, she rooted through her pocket with the other hand. Retrieving two cigarettes, she handed one off to the tall redhead and then sparked the end before lighting her friend’s. “Let’s just get this over with.” Shoving the lighter back in her pocket, TaeRin patted HaMi on the back in order to give her a boost towards the upcoming fence they would all had to climb over. “I don’t wanna be stuck up there all in’ night.”


12:21am

Having it with the mathematics going on page after page, TaeHyung threw his pen down on the low table. Only old-fashioned oil lamps to light the space, he and his assistant squinted to read over the numbers. Done with the pretension of being either of his parents, the orange haired lad flopped backward. His head head hit off the fleece mat behind him, a symbol that no matter how well off he was, he couldn’t always buy his way out of pain with luxury. Groaning at the throb as he muttered inhuman sounds, the home owner rolled around like a child.

Sat a few paces down the setup of long tables, JungKook was unable to continue his work due to the commotion caused by his employee. Brows trying not to furrow, the younger man cleared his throat. “Hyung?”

“Hm?”

“What’s wrong?”

TaeHyung paused his whining. Staring up at the dark, wooden rafters, the older man spoke where his train of thought was. “I love my sister.”

Not quite understanding the randomness, JungKook leaned his elbow on the table with a quirked brow. “Everyone loves your sister.”

“But, do you ever think she...” TaeHyung began to flop around again, his thoughts driving him mad.

“I think a lot about her.”

Instantly stopping, TaeHyun glanced over and scoffed. It was a scoff JungKook expected; she was his sister, and the only stable upbringing either of them had ever had, after all. “I think about how it used to be:” He elaborated on his thoughts, before the scowl he was being sent could turn into daggers. “...How we used to get away with everything at school when we mentioned her name, and how we could drive around without a license. And how we all stuck around together, and how nobody would call anyone out for under-the-counter trading when she was around. Most recently, how there was no break-ins, or seniors being mugged for their money just because they passed the town lines.” His line of sight drifted from his friend as he turned his head to look straight ahead. “Do you remember that, Hyung?”

“Of course I remember that, but I often wonder,” TaeHyung’s usual happy-go-lucky pattern of speech slowed to a knowing mumble. “which was worse: the crime around here, or my own sister bringing the police to the door every night.”

JungKook’s head snapped around. “She did it for us.” He told, his expression sad, but the older man’s head shot up with a contrary frown.

“Don’t be so naive, JungKook. She did it for herself - she was addicted to making a mess.” He almost spasmed upon saying those words out loud. His finger prodded the paper in front him only to smudge what he had written only moments before. “Oh shi-See!” The home owner barked in a fit. “She’s not even here and she’s causing me trouble.” He flipped the ledger in a tantrum.

Unnerved by the outbreak, JungKook stood his ground. “It was public knowledge what she did for this town, but you should know as well as anyone what she did for you.” Turning around completely, the brunette made sure to make his point. “Did you never wonder why a guy like you was never picked on?”

Rubbed the wrong way by his junior’s tone and what he had said, what he had been through over the last couple days, and the fact he had no clue how the dangerous situations around him would play out, TaeHyung stilled in a quiet anger. “What would you know what she did for me?”

“I know it’s probably easier to ignore it, but you shouldn’t just brush it off.” Holding his hands up, showing he didn’t want to make an argument out of it, JungKook softened his voice. “You owe her your life.” Heaving a breath, he finally looked the man in the eye. “And a reimbursement on her own.” He paused, and they shared a look which told that both of them understood exactly what the other knew. “What she did for yo-”

A knock on the side window was quickly followed by the kitchen door opening, signalling another guest ready to pick a side of the intense discussion.  

“It’s only me.” A croak made it to the front room.

Making his way through the home, a slim brunette weaved through the hallways out of years of habit. Standing in the doorway of the main room, the guest waved his hand. “I don’t mean to interrupt, but HaMi’s not here, is she?”

Throwing his hand out, TaeHyung gestured for the youngest to bring out the hard liquor. "None of them are here." Closing his leather-bound book despite having work to do, the home owner dropped his left elbow on his desk. “What’s wrong, Hyung?”

Reading the bad air, the guest flailed comically. “I know you hate Saturdays. I also know that your female problems have gone out. I want to invite you to my club.”

TaeHyung’s head fell into his hands at the tempting dilemma. “If you know I have work to do, why would you ask me that?” Just as he said that, JungKook had returned with a tray supporting a bottle of expensive Western Whiskey and thee glasses.

HoSeok’s expression dropped. Looking to JungKook, and then back to TaeHyung, the guest sighed. “I already told you. I know KiSe and Noona will be out all day. Isn’t that reason enough?”

“They never said that they’d be gone all day to me.”

“Why would they?” HoSeok sat down in front of his two friends, across the table and just at the ninety degree angle of the two tables they were both sat at. “Between TaeRin Noona returning, you being accused of murder, and you two acting weird,” He gestured between TaeHyung and JungKook as he accepted the glass he’d been poured. “I’m not sure what to think any more.”

JungKook peeped up like a a startled animal. “What did I do?”

Pointing, TaeHyung snapped, “Keep your erted fantasies of my sister to yourself.” and then turned away with a huff, which in his place, left HoSeok to shoot the youngest a strange glower before returning his attention to the home owner.

Resting his left elbow on the table, JungKook propped his chin on his hand and looked forward with a knowing expression. “Hyung, everyone wants a bad girl at least once in their life. We have had four of them that we know; one is taken by you, another by YoonGi Hyung.” JungKook gestured to his left and to the guest. “HaNeul doesn’t really cut it, but I think that’s only because Noona has a thing about constantly making a point about putting her down.” Turning his face away to drink the hard liquor, the youngest rolled his eyes at the childishness. “You can’t hate me for having a thing for the woman who’s been stronger, or smarter, than any man I’ve ever known.” He downed the shot only to choke it back up when HoSeok’s foot knocked into him under the low work station.

Behaving as if he hadn’t just nearly choked his junior, the newest guest sipped half of his meassure and then cleared his throat with apreciation for the Brand of booze. “Where did you get this? It taste’s familiar.”

“It’s TaeRin Noona’s stash.” JungKook admitted without a care as he poured another round. Both men turned to him slowly.

TaeHyung’s eyes grew wider. “Why would you take tha-”

“Better us drinking it than her.” The youngest paused mid-pour with a shocked expression. “You know what she’s like on whiskey.” He shook his head madly and then continued.

Both TaeHyung and HoSeok just stared into their glasses. They knew the trouble they’d get into, but JungKook was right. But still...They were going to get more than an earful for drinking a thirty year old bottle of whiskey that the eldest had apparently stashed.

It was too late now, HoSeok thought. It had already been poured. It would be a waste to just throw it away. And it definitely couldn’t be put back in the bottle after the air had hit it. Bringing the finely cut glass to his lips, he inhaled the pungent scent before speaking. “YoonGi and JaeSook have gone fishing. Maybe we can all get together later.”

“I thought you wanted to go out now?” TaeHyung frowned into his drink.

“I do.” He placed his glass down in front of him and then rested his forearms on the overly polished wooden top. What’s better than having a day out with the guys and then coming back and eating as a family?” He clapped his hands together, a little too enthusiastically. “I think JiMin ad NamJoon Hyung finish at 2:30 today, and I can call JinSeok Hyung.”

“I’m not going fishing.” TaeHyung cracked a smile, but he was deadly serious about in his remark.

“Is that because you fell in last time, Hyung?” JungKook smirked as he continued his never-ending pouring.

Appalled by the retort, the home owner snapped to attention. “I did not fall in. I was pushed!” Eyes fluttering in outrage, the orange haired male gasped. “And when I find out who it was, I’m gonna tip manure in their yard.”

The other two chuckled. “TaeHyung, will it be okay for us to all eat together, later?” HoSeok asked as he finished his drink, all of the acidic juice from his mouth.

The home owner thought it over. Cocking his head as the strong booze seemed to go down better than he’d expected, TaeHyung hummed. “As long as my Noona and HaNeul Noona are sitting as far away from each other as humanly possible.”

“I’ll bring the booze.”

Perking up at the thought of a way-overdue get together, JungKook’s expression brightened. “My Halmeoni got a fresh shipment of fruit and veg in this morning. There’s a load of good stuff that has to be thrown out; I’ll bring some of that.”

Giving in due to the excitement of his friends, TaeHyung relaxed. “Then let’s bring everything we need here, and make a night of it.”

“One thing, Tae.” HoSeok cut in with an odd smirk.

Peering to the speaker, the addressed raised his brows. “Hm?”

Refraining from smirking, the eldest of the trio downed the last of his drink. “You have to change out of that cow onesie.”

“Leave my onesie alone!” With a childish whine, the orange haired male flopped to the side, smacking his funny bone off the corner of the table.


 


 

1:15pm

Light flakes floating down onto the small, motorized boat, YoonGi turned to Captain facing him. Wrapped up in nothing more than a sweater, a pair of gloves, and a giant woollen scarf, the passenger held his fishing rod in a loose grip as they bobbed along in the middle of sea fog. “It’s so cold.” His blank face only made the younger man chuckle.

“Would you like a jacket, Hyung?” JaeSeok gestured towards the enclosed cabin, and YoonGi hummed as he re-tackled his line.

Returning, JaeSook covered his senior’s shoulders. “Why would you ask to go fishing in clothes like that, Hyung?

“Clothes like what? I’m wearing jeans and a sweater.”

Walking past, JaeSeok plucked the side of the neckline. “I’d hardly call it a sweater, Hyung. If you were a girl, you’d be spilling out of it.”

Glancing up, the elder male coughed a laugh. “Would you prefer it a girl was on your boat?”

“I’m enjoying having you here, actually; I didn’t think you were that interested in fishing.” Without even looking from his task of checking the small trawling net to the left side, JaeSeok murmured.

Watching the figure bent over the side of their transport, the passenger squirmed. Suddenly warming up. YoonGi coughed his throat clear. “W-what are you doing after this?”

Peering back over his shoulder, JaeSeok turned around. Fixing the hem of his tshirt, the younger man shrugged. “I was thinking about finishing until around four-five-ish, depending on the weather. Other than that, I have no plans.”

Taking something from his pocket, YoonGi placed it to his lips. Putting his arms through the sleeves of the jack which was totally not his style, the shorter male shrugged. “I have nothing else to do.” Sparking the end of the unusually shaped roll-up, a smile tugged at the older male’s lips.

 

Updated: 14/12/2015 - 20:17