Homecoming

Confessions of a Dangerous Mind


Chapter 2
Homecoming


Friday, 11th December
12:30pm

Barging through the back door, a short man in his early twenties hissed. “Ki-Yah?” He called out as his company trodged closed behind.

Making sure to knock the snow off of his boots unlike the hyperactive idiot he was following, the taller blonde inclined his head respectfully before entering the open kitchen. “JiMin, I don’t think she’s here.”

“She is; I could smell the food past the manure.” The brunette looked left and right anxiously, as if the woman he was after was hiding under the table or in a cupboard.

“Will you stop?” The blonde hissed at the bad manners his company was showing when he began inspecting what was cooking on the hob.

A head poked passed the edge of the door frame at the other end of the room. “Oh, JiMinnie.” The deep voice caused the shortest to startle and drop the pot lid back down.

“TaeHyung!” JiMin yelped. Scowling at the black and blue mars across the usually gleeful face, the brunette shrunk up. “You look like Hell.” He deadpan before going back to the simmering dishes on top of the cooker in the corner.

Ignoring his partner’s lack of bad habits, the blonde turned to face the home owner properly. Any kind of happiness draining from his own face, NamJoon recoiled at the state of his old friend. “I’m sorry.”

Struck from the temporary daze by the words, the home owner held his hand to his black eye. “This?” Hanging his head as he leaned against the wooden frame, TaeHyung shrugged. “You didn’t do it.”

Ashamed, the tallest shook his head. “I told them it couldn’t have been you.”

“Just drop it.”

“No, what happened to you was w-”

Please, just leave it.”

Knowing the tone, NamJoon straightened up and held his hands up in defense. “Is there anything I can do?” Immediately catching the dismay, he shook his hands. “I mean unloading a trailer, or-”

“Hyung, your guilty conscience will end you one of these days.” Finding it hard to stay uptight, TaeHyung gave a small smile to ease his friend’s heart.

Back door slamming open, a head of bright red locks popped around the barrier. Holding the door open with her elbow, a tall female gawked at the congregation. Urgency turned to irritation. “I’m out there knee deep in and up to literal elbow in cow , and you three are in here gossiping like old ladies.” Blowing a stray strand of hair off of her face, the woman complained. “JungKook’s late; I need a hand.”

Eyes and mouth open wide, JiMin recoiled when he got a whiff of something vile. “I hope it isn’t the hand that’s been in the cow.” He used the crook of his elbow to shield his nose as his free hand pointed to the woman’s own which was covered in a bloody glove that went past her elbow.

“JungKook’s never late.” TaeHyung glanced to the analog clock hung on the wall above the long window to his left. “What do you need?”

“I need you to get back on the couch and stay there.” The female snapped - She’d already told him at least eight times since he woke up that afternoon. “If you two want to eat,” she glance to the guests. “then you’d better slip on the Wellies and and follow me.” Without another word, the redhead let go of the door and hopped down the four stone steps and into the muddy slush.

Watching the top of his girlfriend’s head pass the bottom of the window, TaeHyung grinned to himself.

“What are you smiling at?” JiMin huffed as he proceeded to kick off his work boots in order to change.

“When something bad happens, you seem to become more aware of the good things, even when it’s hard work.” The home owner cooed, as if in his own world.

Shoving his right foot into one of the spare sets of Wellingtons, the brunette squirmed in disgust at the thought of the upcoming catastrophe. “Say that when you’re not exiled to the couch rather than wading through muck and having to-” JiMin gagged as soon as the mental images rushed into his head.

Not seeing how it was that bad, TaeHyung opened the fridge and took out the pitcher of juice. Pouring himself a glass of the pungent smelling liquid which his sister had made the night before, the orange haired lad returned the mass of it. Taking a sip of the ginger and cinnamon infused torture, the home owner cringed. “One of our cows is about to give birth. Last time, she needed help.”

“We don’t have all day!” KiSe’s yell came from outside.

Grabbing his drink at the sound of the angry tone, TaeHyung scurried back to the doorway. Giving a  toothy grin to his guests, he spared a quick glance as they waddled out of the door in borrowed gear. “Good luck.”

 


 

7:45pm

Pushing open the shabby wooden door to the store, YoonGi inclined his head a little to the taller man behind the low wooden counter. Heading straight for the back of the shop, the brunette picked up what he needed from either side of the isle before making his way back to the till.

“How’s it going, Hyung?” The cashier greeted welcomingly. “Are you going out today?”

“Oeh, JaeSeok~ You’re spending more and more time here.” The patron cooed as he set off for what he came for. Pulling the collar of his coat up around his neck to stop the draft, the addressed hummed as he nodded upwards. “I needed to get out.”

“The weather is supposed to be really bad today.” The taller male gestured to the radio behind him.

Plucking his wallet from the back pocket of his jeans, YoonGi nodded upwards with a cheeky grin. “Then lend me your boat.”

Laughing, the cashier prodded the register. “I was going to set out myself in ten minutes.” Accepting the paper money with both hands, the employee inclined his head politely before making the transaction. “I just have to close up.”

Taking his bag of good, YoonGi jutted his head towards the door. “I brought beer.”

Almost pouting, JaeSeok rested his chin on his upraised palm. “Hyung, you know I don’t drink.”

“Is that your sister’s idea?”

“Why’d you ask that?”

Absolutely done with women in all forms for the day, YoonGi grunted. “Because she has more brass than both of us.” The brunette shrugged at the horrible confession. “If you start closing up now, I’ll get us some dinner.” He spoke, but it was more like a question.

JaeSeok had known YoonGi - and really, all of that group since they could barely crawl - and if the expression on his senior’s alabaster face wasn’t one of desperation, then he’d prick himself in the eyes with fish hooks. Always being treat well enough by the older man, JaeSeok gave in; He had his own problems he wanted to escape at that moment too. In fact, he always had one or two which he wanted to ignore.

“Ok, Hyung. Don’t scrimp on dinner.” JaeSeok told as he turned the radio and air conditioning off.

“Are you sure?” YoonGi half sung as he gave him a very specific look. “Are you sure you want to break your curfew?~” Receiving a playful eye-roll from his junior, the redhead skipped out of the store chuckling to himself.

 


 

8:30pm

Driving to the edge of town, TaeRin parked around the back of the building spilling out a heavy bass-line - It was the only half decent bar in town. Getting out and locking the vehicle behind her, the returnee advanced for the back entrance. Pulling open the fire exit door, she was met by the scent of old wood and spilled booze.

For as long as she was able to get into a bar - which was the meager age of seventeen, because the entirety of the three bar owners in town knew both of her parents - Both had always been good patrons at different stages in their lives. Despite half of her admittance being because they had all known what her father was like, or keeping a flame for her mother, she had been allowed some of her 'best run-ups' thanks to it. Her father had never been the easiest man to get along with, and they felt sorry for her; and they had been admirers of her mother’s during their school years. Later on though, they had remembered her mother for something completely different, and along with it came a completely different kind of sympathy.

Squeezing through the crowd of the dingy establishment, TaeRin managed to latch onto the bar which she had frequented for three years before she had left. Although, this time, it wasn’t the same Ajusshi she was familiar with whom was working as the barman. Already half way through ordering her drink to a back covered by a black vest, she was quickly met by the face she least expected when the employee turned around.

The slim man who had received the order cocked his head before fulfilling his duty. “At least your drinking habits are reliable.”

Ignoring the unexpected blast from the past, the woman sparked the end of her cigarette. Being closed in by the masses either side of her with only the harsh overhead light giving her any clue as to what was going on, the woman refrained from 'tobacco spitting' in disgruntlement. “All of me is reliable.”

Placing the drink in front of his customer, the brunette scowled. “Especially the part about you leaving as soon as someone gets too close.” The slightly taller brunette rested his bare elbows on the sticky counter and stared at the woman in front of him.

Keeping her white blouse sleeves away from the counter sopped with stale booze, TaeRin kept her eyes down. “Have you ever heard the saying ‘it’s not you, it’s me'?” She ran her finger along the rim of the glass.

Ignoring the calls of the other customers, the brunette pressed his midriff against the bar. “Of course - it’s an overdone cliche.”

Dowing her drink, TaeRin felt her frame beginning to involuntarily contract. She hated it; she hated everything he made her feel. “Yeah, well, it wasn’t me; it was you.” Slamming a significant Won note down on the counter, she turned her back on the man and pushed her way back through the crowd towards the emergency exit.

 


 

8:25pm

Returning to the sitting room with a towel wrapped around his waist after showering all kinds of muck off of him, JiMin up the scent of home-cooked food. “Ki-Yah, you always out-do yourself.” He rubbed wrinkly fingertips against his palms as he took in the sight of the feast.

“Take a seat.” The lone female beckoned over the last of her guests.  

Now that the final man was sat down, they were all able to dig into the feast. Kneeling down, KiSe scooped out her significant other’s favourites and carefully placed them in the small dishes at the head of the table.

NamJoon eyed the two residents before clearing his throat. "Is Noona not joining us?"

"She said she was going out." TaeHyung told without even glancing up.

Eye-smile scrunching his lids, chubby cheeks rose. "Well, there is only two liquor stores and three bars in town, and we all know where she will go first."

"JiMin..."

"What? It's no secret that she likes to drink." Sipping his tea, the shortest hummed. "Unlike the rest of you, though," He took some of the spicy fried root vegtables and dropped them onto the mountain of rice KiSe had plated him prior. "I don't see the problem with it."

"I think we should change the subject."

"Ok." NamJoon agreed, but he had no idea of what to say, which left him with nothing but a mouth full of chicken and a deer-in-the-headlights glare.

"Thank you for helping me earlier." The redhead leapt on the opening of the conversation which was bound to turn bad. "But has anyone heard from JungKook yet?"

TaeHyung shook his head as he dug in to the feast while NamJoon turned over the device by his thigh just to double check. "No."

“So...” JiMin started again. “You didn’t really kill those girls, did you?” He asked nonchalantly, and the rest of the occupants dropped their cutlery in horror at the bluntness.

 


 

Updated: 22nd May 2015 - 16:46