1/1

keeping score

Baekhyun sighed while staring at the computer screen in front of him. He had no clue what to do and it . It used to be easy, he'd post jokes only random people on the internet seemed to appreciate, or ride off the top trends with some subtle advertising and he'd be set for the day. He'd even get enough time to watch reruns of Cops - while getting paid for it. But he had a quota to meet and sitting around doing nothing wouldn't make the work finish any faster.

Another sigh.

Baekhyun decided to exit his cubicle and take a stroll around the office. Mondays usually dragged on at a snail's pace, everyone sluggish from having to wake up early and many, including Baekhyun, nursing hangovers from the weekend.

(But you didn't hear that from him.)

Baekhyun worked as an intern for Exo beverages. The company made a ton of drinks, from coffee to coffee flavoured liqueur. The problem lay in it being a recent business, so not many people knew about it. In order to combat that, the company hired paid interns to manage its social media accounts and get Exo out there. This worked out well for everybody - interns could eventually move up and obtain a permanent position and through social media, the company would hopefully get people talking and trying its products.

Entering the employee pantry, Baekhyun paused at the sight of a man. He looked to be about the same age as Baekhyun, possibly another intern, with his auburn hair laying flat against his forehead and his tight blue dress shirt leaving practically nothing to the imagination. Mr. Future Hulk leaned against one of the counters lazily with a mug of what seemed to be coffee in his hand. Baekhyun decided it wouldn't hurt to talk to him and maybe score some material in the process so he'd be able to leave on time.

"If I snapped a picture of you right now, how much do you want to bet it'd come out looking like some menswear ad?" Baekhyun said nonchalantly, while rummaging through the cupboards by the man's head.

"What?" Mr. Hulk asked.

"I'm Baekhyun, it's nice to meet you," he replied, not missing a beat.

The man didn't say anything. Instead, he stared a Baekhyun with a blank expression. They stared at each other, and Baekhyun felt his cheeks heat up at the awkwardness. Well, there went his attempt at being a smartass.

Another employee entered the pantry, someone Baekhyun recognized as Do Kyungsoo - the head of the Marketing Department. He nervously bowed but Kyungsoo didn't even glance his way, turning to Mr. My-Buttons-Are-About-To-Pop-Any-Second-Now and clearing his throat.

"Minseok, I told you to meet me at my office twenty minutes ago. How many times have I had to go out of my way searching for you? This is the last straw, I want you in my office in 5," Kyungsoo said, spinning on his heel and storming out of the pantry.

Baekhyun felt lost, he'd only wanted to kill some time, not get caught up in company drama. This poor intern, Minseok, would probably get fired too with how angry Kyungsoo seemed. What a pity, since he looked great in that shirt and probably without it too wait what-

Minseok dumped out the contents of his mug in the sink, rinsing it out and neatly placing it onto the dish rack before going towards the exit. Though, he stopped halfway out and looked at Baekhyun.

"About your earlier comment, you weren't that far off. I've done some modeling before," he said, before leaving.

Baekhyun stood there, gaping like one of the fish in the huge tank by the receptionist's desk.

Well then.


[Baekhyun: 0 Minseok: 1]
 
---
 

A few days later, Baekhyun comes across a twitter reply to one of his tweets on the company account. He'd used his encounter with Minseok as inspiration and tweeted a picture of his roommate, Jongdae's dog with a bottle of Exo coffee, reminding everyone to remain fashionable even when enjoying some caffeine. Not his best work, but he'd been watching Cops at the time and if he spent any longer on the tweet, he might have tweeted a clip from the show instead and gotten fired just like Minseok.

The person who replied to Baekhyun's tweet went by the name 'Chen', and they'd said that the dog was probably more fashionable than whoever ran the account. Ouch.

Being the first reply the Exo twitter had gotten in months, the insult burned twice as deep. Upset, Baekhyun decided to head up to the rooftop for some fresh air. Who knows, he may be able to get some inspiration too.

Exiting the elevator at the top floor and heading up the stairwell, Baekhyun found himself on the rooftop. The dark, cloudy sky reflected Baekhyun's mood. He felt like . Making up stupid tweets used to be fun, but now he wasn't so sure. His tweets barely garnered much response and he wondered why he still had a job at this point. Lost in his thoughts, Baekhyun failed to notice another presence on the rooftop.

"Baekhyun?"

A voice cut through his sulking. Looking up, Baekhyun came face to face with ... Minseok?

"Minseok? What are you doing here?" Baekhyun asked, stepping towards the man he'd thought had gotten fired a few days ago.

"Just thought I'd get some fresh air," Minseok answered, leaning against the railing.

Baekhyun couldn't help but admire his profile. Even with the horrible lighting, Minseok still looked amazing with his cute features and sharp jawline. Not to mention the skin-tight muscle tee and skinny jeans he was wearing.

Minseok watched Baekhyun expectantly. He'd probably said something and Baekhyun, too busy ogling him, missed it.

"Sorry, what did you say?" 

"I asked if you were practicing your audition for a drama. You looked sad when you came up here, like you were about to burst into tears." 

"I was ... sad, I mean." 

"Why?" 

"I don't know what I'm doing anymore. I don't feel as excited working here as I did when I first started. It's become a chore now and I hate that." 

"Well, have you done anything interesting lately? Seen any movies, traveled?"

"Nope. Well, unless you count watching Cops but I wouldn't." 

"Maybe you need to go out more, see the world. You're still young," Minseok encouraged, patting Baekhyun on the shoulder.

"I'm pretty sure we're practically the same age," Baekhyun snorted.

"Nope." 

"And how do you know that? If I hadn't seen you in the building, I'd have thought you were a high-schooler." 

Minseok simply smiled, not replying and instead turning towards the dark sky.

"If you could have a week off, what would you do?" Minseok asked, watching Baekhyun from the corner of his eye.

"Probably hang out with friends, eat without worrying about my stomach showing when I tuck in my shirt, that kind of stuff." 

Minseok bobbed his head from side to side before looking at the sky once again. Baekhyun pretended to look at the sky but really, he was staring at Minseok. He wondered how Minseok managed to survive Kyungsoo's wrath and not get fired. Maybe he wasn't just a simple intern like Baekhyun had originally thought.

"Shouldn't you be getting back to work? Your break isn't for another 2 hours and all the head managers are visiting today. I'd be careful if I was you," Minseok told Baekhyun, eyes trained ahead.

"Oh ! You're right," Baekhyun choked out, forgetting that he'd only intended to come up here for a few minutes at most.

Baekhyun hastily waved over his shoulder at Minseok as he ran down the stairs and towards the elevator. Only when he had returned to his desk and tried his best to look Busy and Very Productive did he realize that he'd never told Minseok when he took his breaks. He also didn't understand why Minseok seemed so calm if the head managers were visiting. Baekhyun frowned, wondering who this Minseok really was.

 

[Baekhyun: 0 Minseok: 2]
 
---
 

Baekhyun stared at the note posted on his cubicle door, wondering if this was some sort of prank or something. In neat handwriting, someone had left a small note telling him he had the week off and to not come in until the following Monday. Boss' orders.

Well, if this was a joke and he really did leave, he'd get his handed to him. But he wasn't particularly close to any of his fellow interns, and he hoped he didn't have anyone who'd hate him enough to leave the note with the hopes of Baekhyun being reprimanded.

"What are you doing?"

Baekhyun spun around, coming face to face with Oh Sehun, the intern that seemed the most likely to be hired by Exo. Sehun wasn't particularly charming or ruthless like some of the other interns, but the boy was simply a genius at bulling. His tweets and campaigns always went over well despite the fact that he wrote them in minutes without any proper planning.

"Do you know who left this note?" Baekhyun asked.

Sehun was also the one interns went to when they needed gossip, he seemed to know everything that went on in the office. Baekhyn hoped that applied to his situation as well.

"Yeah, the boss did," Sehun answered.

"Sure." 

"He did! I saw him come by earlier," Sehun said with a frown.

Baekhyun blinked, unsure what to do now. Their boss was an elusive fellow, not many had seen him and he was barely around. Baekhyun didn't understand how he knew who Baekhyun was, much less freely giving him a week off.

Well, if he had a week off he might as well make the most of it.

"Enjoy your vacation," Sehun said before walking away.

"I will!" Baekhyun shouted, feeling the excitement pulsing through his veins. He had an entire week off. He felt as if he could conquer the world at this very moment.

Maybe he could....


[Baekhyun: 1 Minseok: 2 Sehun: ∞]

---

"The next round is on me!" Baekhyun hollered loudly, as his friends cheered.

Sitting at a bar not that far from his apartment, Baekhyun and his friends had decided to get drunk and catch up. His roommate, Jongdae, nudged Baekhyun's shoulder.

"I think you've had enough," Jongdae said, pushing Baekhyun's beer bottle out of reach.

"But why?" 

"Because I don't want to carry your fat home later. Now, drink some water and try to sober up," Jongdae said, grabbing a cup of water from the table and nudging the rim against Baekhyun's lips.

Baekhyun took a few sips before pushing the cup away and standing on wobbly legs.

"I'll, I'll, I'll be right back," he stammered, waddling towards the direction of the bathroom.

 


---
 

As Baekhyun washed his hands, the door opened and someone stepped in.

He looked at the mirror, seeing the stranger head to the urinals. Baekhyun grabbed a paper towel and wiped his hands before he felt a force spin him around and pin him to the wall.

"Let me go!" he shouted in surprise. Opening his eyes, Baekhyun saw that his attacker was actually-

"Minseok?" 

Said man stepped closer and closer, until their chests bumped.

"Hey," Minseok answered, continuing to lean in.

"What are you doing?" Baekhyun mumbled, unable to look away.

He must have been far more drunk than he thought if he was beginning to hallucinate that Minseok was here. It had been a week since he last saw the man, and he was no closer to solving the mystery behind his identity.

"This," Minseok whispered, before leaning in and pressing his lips against Baekhyun's.

Baekhyun didn't know what to do, his hands were frozen mid air and all he could feel, see and smell was Minseok.

He could feel his emotions gurgling up his stomach, and he quickly pushed Minseok away, before vomiting on the floor next to him.

Oops.


[Baekhyun: -100000 Minseok: 3]

---

Stealth.

Speed.

Anonymity.

No one could know who he was, he'd simply get in and get out.

That sounded easy enough, except, once Baekhyun entered the building to head to work, someone had grabbed his shoulder and proceeded to take off his sunglasses and snapback.

"Take off the mustache, Baekhyun." 

Baekhyun complied, shifting his gaze upwards and locking eyes with a displeased looking Minseok.

"Come with me," Minseok said, grabbing Baekhyun's wrist and dragging him away.

 


---
 

If entering a large office with a a plaque on the desk that read, CEO Kim Minseok didn't tip Baekhyun off, watching as Minseok walked around the large desk and took a seat on the chair surely did the trick. The air seemed to change around the man, no longer did he appear meek and quiet, now Baekhyun could see the power he held, the way he sat straight and proud - Minseok certainly was a CEO.

He motioned for Baekhyun to sit on the chair across from him and Baekhyun hurriedly complied.

"I thought I'd be able to keep up my disguise for a little longer," began Minseok with a pout.

"I can't believe it," Baekhyun blurted out, instantly slapping his hands over his mouth and bowing repeatedly.

Minseok laughed loudly, leaning back with a fond smile on his lips.

"It's okay, I can't believe it myself most days," Minseok admitted as he awkwardly scratched his temple.

"But why did you hide your identity?" 

"Because it's fun, and I like getting to know my employees without having titles and status get in the way." 

"Still ... why did you let Kyungsoo yell at you? In front of me, an intern no less?" 

"Oh, he always does that, says I run around too much. I don't mind, I need honest people who aren't afraid to put me down a few notches."

Baekhyun chewed his lip, digesting everything he had just heard. The most important question though ... he wanted to ask why Minseok had given him an entire week off and why he had ... kissed him.

Ah yes, the kiss. Baekhyun frowned at the memory of him throwing up in front of Minseok and making a hasty exit before seeing his reaction. At least Minseok seemed okay about it now. Probably.

As if sensing what Baekhyun wanted to ask, Minseok nodded in understanding.

"You're probably wondering about the week off. It's just, when you talked to me on the rooftop, I saw myself in you. When I was confused and overwhelmed I packed everything up and went on an adventure. I thought that the closest thing I could give you could help." Minseok said. "And the kiss ... For that, I apologize. We can just forget it ever happened."

Baekhyun felt crushed, how could Minseok dismiss the kiss so easily? Even though they didn't know each other that well - Baekhyun couldn't deny the soft spot he'd formed for him.

"Are you okay?" 

"Yeah, but I have one more question. If I weren't your employee, could we ever be anything ... more?" Baekhyun asked.

"What do you mean?" 

"What I mean is, I quit."

Minseok's eyes bulged and his mouth hung open at Baekhyun's sudden exclamation. Just as suddenly as he'd said that, Baekhyun stood up and went around the table quickly straddling Minseok's lap.

His former boss stared at him in apprehension as Baekhyun leaned in close, until their lips were almost pressing.

"I think it's time I start my own adventure. Would you like to join me?" Baekhyun asked Minseok with a smile.

Minseok laughed and nodded, wrapping his arms around Baekhyun.

"Yes, of course."

Baekhyun chuckled in relief and leaned in, kissing Minseok softly.

 


[Baekhyun ♡ Minseok]
 

Bonus:

The annoying account that went by the name 'Chen' had been getting on Sehun's nerves. The person seemed to find joy insulting Exo's twitter and attempting to provoke the interns. Sehun logged into his personal account and angrily tweeted Chen, not caring about the possible repercussions.

put on ur location, lets c if ur all talk or if u can back it up

Sehun received a notification that Chen replied not a second later,

alright then, i'll even save you the trouble. do you live near XXXXXXX?

That was only ten minutes from his home, Sehun replied,

y

then let's meet at XXXXX tmrw at 2, k?

Sehun smirked, flexing his fingers

see u there