Confessions Of A Friend

Clenching A Tight Fist

 

Kikwang’s POV

So we all managed to survive a whole day of school with Doojoon’s whining. Sun Young and Sunny had decided to have a shopping spree.

“So have you got in mind today?” I asked. Doojoon proudly took out his soccer ball and we all knew what he was thinking.

We played for almost an hour at the field near our school. It was the perfect spot to play since not many people came here.

“Aish, at times like this I miss all your girls, Doojoon. Now there’s no one to buy us drinks,” Junhyung said, lying on the grassy field. My thoughts exactly. We lay down, staring up in the sky.

“Kikwang ah, have you told her yet?” Doojoon said suddenly. I looked at him, giving him the confused look.

Junhyung stretched out his arms, and drew a heart out in front of me. I kept silent.

“Ya you had every chance to say it,” Doojoon exclaimed, sitting up, ”plus, you’re like number one on the list! Seriously, don’t come knocking on my doorstep when she gets a new guy.”

“It’s just… weird. We’ve known each other for so long and well argh, it’s hard to explain,” I said, scratching my head.

Doojoon turned to Junhyung for support, but Junhyung had spotted something else. The new guys seemed to have found their way here.

“Annyeong hasaeyo! We saw you playing and decided to take a look. Mind if we join in?” G.O. said.

“Sure… but there’s four of you and three of us,” Doojoon said slowly.

“Ah it’s okay. Seungho won’t play then,” G.O. said.

Okay, I swear that Seungho’s dark circles became darker and bigger at that comment.

It was a good game. We got totally pwned by the new guys. And oh my god they make me look like a midget. But we ended up eating out together and had a good laugh over the meal. In just hours, we became friends and I knew that it was going to last long.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sun Young’s POV

It was two weeks since school started. It felt awkward without him, but I was managing fine. It was a normal day, five of us met up in front of the school gates and walked to class, talking non-stop now that there weren’t girls pulling the guys away.

Joon’s POV

They were just friends. Everyone knew that. I just couldn’t help but feel so… jealous at how close they were. I couldn’t focus during class. I think I just failed that Math pop quiz. I asked for the other’s opinion; they said I was too rash. But I couldn’t help it. The last bell of the day rang, everyone was packing their stuff. I decided to do it, today.

I quickly tapped her shoulder and asked, “Uhm Sun Young, can you meet me outside the old indoor sports hall after school?” She nodded her head.

“Alone.” I said quietly. She gave me the look, but dismissed any doubt in her mind quickly.

“Ya Chang Sun…” Seungho called out to me but I just ignored him, I was just focused on getting to the sports hall as soon as possible. I reached there much earlier than her. I just waited. My palms were getting really sweaty. I started wondering if this was the right choice. What happens if she rejects me? We’d probably not be able to be friends. Aish, I shouldn’t have decided on this so fast.

“Um… Joon? You were looking for me?” Oh my god. She’s here.

Sun Young’s POV

“Hey I’m going to meet Joon at the old sports hall so you might want to wait somewhere for me. I doubt it’d take long,” I told Sunny.

“Oh? The old sports hall is a secluded alley itself. Waddya think he’s going to do to you,” Sunny said mischievously, staring at me with a big grin on her face. I pushed her head back gently and rolled my eyes.

“Aish you nosey kid. Don’t think wrong,” I uttered.

I quickly walked to the old sports hall, wondering what Joon was up to. But as I neared it, I suddenly slowed down in my tracks and stopped. It hit me that the sports hall was the exact same place he confessed to me back then. Damn it the memories just wouldn’t stop playing in my mind. I clenched my fists, trying to stop the tears from flowing. I hadn’t been here in a long time, but hey, life still goes on. I took a deep breath and continued walking to find Joon.

I finally found Joon. He seemed frustrated over something. He was scratching the back of his head, cursing a little under his breath.

“Um… Joon? You were looking for me?” I said slowly.

He froze for a while upon hearing my voice. He walked towards me, two arms dangling free, with an awkward yet cute smile. I just stood there, my hands gripping tightly onto my skirt. He took my hands, probably wanting to say something, but nothing came out. He pulled me along and brought me in to the basketball court.

It was a little dark, the only source of light being the sunlight coming from the few windows and cracks in the walls. We sat down on the seats, having no idea of what to do.

Joon’s POV

I was about to die inside. I looked at her and quickly looked to the front.

“So… what were you planning to tell that seems so top secret that you have to bring me into the basketball court?” she asked, trying to break the ice.

I kept quiet for a while, then I started singing a part from Big Bang’s Somebody to Love softly to her.

“Somebody has to love you, somebody is loved, somebody is parting somewhere also, somebody and somebody is encountering
this is my last love…”

At that moment, she seemed to understand it all. She gazed at me, looking somewhat helpless. I rested my arm on her chair and leaned over. She stretched out her neck a little. Then-

Sun Young’s POV

I screwed it up. Park Sun Young, why in the world did you do that?

Flashback

“Sun Young ah! Can you meet me outside the sports hall after school?” he said brightly. I looked at him curiously, but he quickly gave me a wink and rushed off.

Lessons ended and I went off to find him. The sports hall was getting old, not many people frequented it ever since the school built a new sports hall.

There he was, leaning against the wall, in deep thought. I took another step forward, he heard it and looked up. He seemed shocked at first, but immediately gave me a wide smile, a smile that would melt any girls’ heart. He approached me and held my hands.

“Come on, follow me,” he said with that boyish smile. He led me into the basketball court and we sat down. “Have you heard about it? They say that they were going to tear down this place,” he remarked.

“Yea, that’s kinda sad since a lot of people share a lot of memories here,” I replied.

“Happy birthday by the way,” he coolly said.

I smiled and nodded my head at him. Silence fell between us immediately.

“My heart that longs for you is blue, I want to hold you as if I were the sky. Even in the howling of a rain storm, there's nothing to be afraid of now. Oh oh oh. You're always inside my heart. I want to give my everything to you. When you're tired and having a bad day, I'll be there to hold yo…” He started singing Big Bang’s Always softly, swaying from side to side.

We looked at each other, and suddenly, everything seemed to make sense. Sometimes, you just need to follow your heart. He leaned over towards me, I closed my eyes a little. It was just a short one, and we just sat there, my head resting on his shoulder, our fingers entwined.

“Ya Park Sunyoung, from today onwards you’re not allowed to look at any guy okay?” he said jokingly.

On 5 October 2007, I received the biggest present in my love. Kim Jonghyun, saranghae.

-End of Flashback-

It felt like that day all over again. I couldn’t control my tears and started weeping. We were just so damn close.

“Sunyoung ah, are you okay?” he said, while wiping off my tears.

“Nothing, I’m fine. I just… well it’s complicated. Joon, I don’t think I can be with you. Maybe in future I’d say yes, but for now, I’m not ready for this,” I sighed. I got up and quickly ran off, trying to hide my tears from him. I could hear him running after me, calling out my name, but I didn’t turn back.

I started running when an arm caught me. I tried to break free but the grip was too strong.

“Ya what’s going on?” I looked up, it was Kikwang.