Lunch Date + Pets

The Turtle Might Bite

Wonsik was a little nervous, little being the size of the sun compared to the rest of the universe. If you looked at it from another perspective though, the sun is enormous compared to the average human, so Wonsik was actually extremely nervous. So nervous (thirsty for a certain someone) he kept a countdown, so he knew that it was exactly two days, five hours, and forty-three minutes until his planned lunch date with Hongbin.

Currently he was sitting on his balcony, a cup of hot water in hand because he forgot to buy tea the last time he went to the store, staring at the remains of the sunset. Wonsik had no idea how he woke up early enough to watch the sun crawl over the city’s skyline, but then again, he went to bed right after five, so there wasn’t really a surprise he woke up at the time when they still showed bad movies on the channels no one really watches. He didn’t know why he ended up with a messed up sleeping pattern for the night, but he guessed it might be because his body was mentally exhausted after having a more than five minute long conversation with the man of his dreams to plan the details of their upcoming lunch date.

After finishing his cup of water, that he had put some sugar in to make it seem a little more elegant, Wonsik went back inside to take a nap on the couch. He wasn't planning to wake up until he felt like it, so it was dream shattering (quite literally) that his roommates needed to be fed after only a fifteen minute power nap.

With one day left before Wonsik is headed over to Hongbin’s work place, he was faced with a challenge. In his mind, it was a challenge worthy of a huge prize if completed, had it been a TV show. The challenge was to clean up all the turtle food that was spilled over the floor, the small pellets creating a huge dam that could be the gates to hell. Wonsik didn’t want to try and find out.

He had no idea what had happened, but he knew that N was currently clenching his jaws onto some fur on Leo’s back, riding the cat who was furiously trying to shake off the shelled animal. He had been in his room when he heard the sound that would kill anyone who was making necklaces with beads, which was the sound of a huge bowl of beads hitting the floor. He had run out to the living room, where Leo crashed into his legs before continuing to run around, N attached to his back.

Without a vacuum cleaner, Wonsik started on the task of picking up the pellets by hand. He was at it for a good twenty minutes before he felt the tears start pressing because the ing turtle was supposed to be easy to take care of. Through his watery eyes, he could see N approach in his peripheral vision, after he finally seemed to have let go of Leo. The cat had hid somewhere, Wonsik guessed.

After a few minutes, which was the time it took for the pet to trek across the floor, he stopped and stared at Wonsik, and then at the pellet ocean. A miracle happened then. N started munching on the spilt food, helping Wonsik doing this horrendous task, which Wonsik thought he would have to do all by himself. The gesture was enough to make the pet owner cry, and he lifted up his little friend like Rafiki lifted up Simba.

“I love you, my wonderful child!”

The two continued to eat/pick up pellets and put them in a bowl, and when they were finally done, Leo came out of hiding and tipped the bowl filled with hard work, tears and love, ruining everything.

Wonsik broke down crying again.

“Well, you look like .” The parrot Wonsik had become acquainted with during his last visit to the shop squawked loudly in agreement to Sanghyuk’s greeting, and Wonsik wondered why the kid was speaking to him like that already when they’ve only met once. He probably had too many friends or no friends at all if you measured the level of his social skills, Wonsik would have to ask about his hypothesis some other time. “Are you here to return your pet already?”

“Thanks, it’s my new aesthetic.” The currently dead-on-the-inside male dragged his feet up to the register, opting on making Sanghyuk find the stuff he needed since he still had no clue on how to navigate in a pet store to actually find necessities for pets. He only knew how to look at the animals. “And no, I love him you can’t take him from me. I need more turtle feed, and do you have some cat food that’s really fancy or something?”

“Why do you need cat food?” Sanghyuk somehow magically whipped out both of the things Wonsik needed from his sleeves (“Are you a magician?” “An amateur, I did it for my school’s talent show.”) and set them down on the counter, ready for the other to inspect.

“I got a cat,” Wonsik grumbled, fishing his wallet out of his pocket. “A high maintenance one…”

Sanghyuk gave a look, as if asking how that happened. Wonsik gave a look in return, as if telling him that it just did.

“Next question,” Ok, pretty sure the kid considered him a friend. “Why do you look like you’re currently on death row, with your execution happening this upcoming Wednesday?”

While considering if he should tell Sanghyuk about Hongbin or not, Wonsik let out a sigh. He might actually get some advice from the other male, more than he would get from Jaehwan, at least. Deciding to just go with it, he explained what had happened ever since he met Hongbin until the planned date, and how it was freaking him out because hot diddly damn have you seen Hongbin’s face. When he was done talking, Sanghyuk snorted.

“You’re worse than a teenage girl going on her first date.”

“…”

 “HOLY FRICKFRACK IT IS YOUR FIRST DATE.”

“Doesn’t mean I’m not a beast at Smash Brows.”

“What does that have to do with anything?”

“Everything.” Sanghyuk rolled his eyes at that.

“Well, my advice is to calm your nerves by watching funny videos. It always works for me.” The younger male suggested, putting the cans of pet food into a plastic bag.

“Really?” The clerk nodded, handing Wonsik his purchases. He turned around and went to leave, but did a small hand gesture in goodbye before going out the door. “Thanks, I’ll see you around.”

"UNBELIEVEABLE!" Wonsik screeched, startling Leo who had been napping on the back of the couch, which led to the cat falling onto the floor. He got to his feet and was ready to tear out his owner's vocal chords if he screamed like that again. "This is absolute gold, why was I not informed of this amazing meme?!"

Padding around the sofa so he could see what was going on, Leo was met with the sight of Nuisance (it seemed like he was the only one who called the turtle that anymore) perched on Wonsik's shoulder, the two of them staring intently at the screen of the human's laptop. They were both cackling at something, and the feline felt the need to investigate. But as the saying goes; curiosity killed the cat.

Once Leo had jumped onto the back of the couch again to get a view of the screen, Wonsik threw his head back in laughter, knocking the animal down onto the floor, again. Not being able to comprehend the fact that his human was having a good time which didn't include Wonsik giving him all his attention, or doing whatever the cat wanted him to do, Leo went to mope under the coffee table. 

On the screen, was a compilation video of a bunch of "my name is Jeff" vines, which Wonsik had found while looking at stupid videos online to calm himself before the date. Every time the sentence from 22 Jump Street would sound through the living room, a little more of Wonsik's nervousness would disappear.

Wonsik thanked Sanghyuk for the wonderful idea he gave Wonsik to help him prepare mentally for his date.

Mental preparations for this moment all going to waste, Wonsik swallowed (even though his throat was as dry as Jaehwan’s humor), and entered the coffee shop. How cliché was it that his love interest worked in one, and here he was, sniffing in the various smells ranging from ground coffee beans to cookies and cakes. The bell above the door had rung when Wonsik entered, which had lead him to gain the attention of the person working behind the counter, who gave him a wide smile.

“How are you today?” Wonsik fidgeted a little, and Wonsik never fidgeted, but he was about to have a date with someone inhumanely gorgeous so no one would blame him. The problem was that no one knew (except for himself, Hongbin and Jaehwan) at the time he was fidgeting. He had even dressed up a little more nicely than normal for the occasion, his jeans fresh out of the dryer, and he wore a short sleeved button up that made his shoulders look broader. It had some cool, hipster pattern on it, so he could keep up his chill vibe, which also helped him keep his feelings chill. No freak outs or fan boy moments were to happen today, no sir. Wonsik knew he should reply to the barista before he got too carried away with his thoughts.

Maybe I should’ve worn another shirt.

“Uhm-“

“Wonsik!” Bless Hongbin for showing up and saving Wonsik from uncomfortable small talk. “You look great today!”

Maybe I shouldn’t have worn another shirt.

“You too, Jeff.” Oops, he did it again. Hongbin played with his heart, Wonsik forgot his name. Did I just sing a Britney Spears song...? There was no way he could save himself from this one, it certainly didn’t sound like Hongbin, and it did not even have any common letters. May vines be burned on stakes for ruining everything for everyone, like the number twenty-one.

“Let’s just eat here, since my lunch break is so short.” Hongbin’s expression went from smiley to frowny, which was a bad sign. Way to go Wonsik, ruining the date with your stupidity. “Does outside sound good?”

“Yeah, I’m fine with that.” In Wonsik’s mind, agreeing to everything Hongbin said from now would be a way to redeem himself. They walked up to the counter and placed their orders, and when the barista asked for their names to put on their cups, Wonsik felt the grey sky open above him, and beams of light from the heavens shone down on his being, making his teeth shine or something deep like that.

“My name is Jeff.” The sentence that had been said over and over again in the videos Wonsik had watched earlier left Hongbin's lips so easily, his voice almost sounding like it came from Channing Tatum himself. 

Hongbin was now officially Wonsik’s favorite person, even if Jaehwan had been his best friend and put up with him before, throughout, and after his scene-kid phase (do not ask about details, Wonsik wants to forget the past). Hell, if this had been his and Hongbin’s anniversary after dating for two years, he would’ve been down on one knee and asked for the other’s hand in marriage in a blink. He most likely wouldn’t make the name mistake at that point in the relationship, though.

The name on Wonsik’s cup ended up being ‘Uhm’, so Jeff and Uhm made their way out of the café to sit by one of the outside tables it provided, enjoying the august warmth that lingered in the air. Both of them had settled for a sandwich, which were mostly the same, except for Hongbin’s not having a huge tomato slice in it. Wonsik took mental notes, to make sure he didn’t add tomatoes to the ramen, should he ever cook for the other.

So far, the date had gone by the textbook, ignoring the fact that the name compartment of Wonsik’s brain was being faulty. They did the twenty questions game (Hongbin’s suggestion. Apparently he was kind of a white girl at heart, his caramel frappuccino proving it), learning different things about each other. Hongbin liked being busy, Wonsik liked having nothing to do. Hongbin majored in photography, Wonsik in creative writing. Hongbin liked dogs, Wonsik put up with cats.

“Aw man, do we have to wait until your lunch break is over before you can be our personal butler?” standing by their table all of a sudden, was a male about their age. The sunlight danced over his bronze skin, giving him this irresistible, god-like glow that just shone from him. Wonsik kind of wanted those radiation-proof suits in the presence of this unknown guy, that’s how much the confidence poured out of his pores. It was kind of intimidating, actually, but Wonsik had somehow figured that someone as fine as Hongbin would have equally as burning hot friends, so he had some of that icy fresh gum in his pocket in case it got too hot.

“Hakyeon,” Smiley Hongbin became frowny again, uh-oh. “I’m kind of busy right now, can you leave?”

“You, too busy to talk with me? How can someone like you possibly not have time for me- oh?” Hakyeon's, Wonsik reckoned, eyes squinted after they had found Wonsik’s form. It was quiet for a few seconds, until the standing male took a deep breath. Hongbin muttered ‘aaand here we go’ while rolling his eyes, and that's when the verbal waterfall started.

“Who are you? Why are you with Hongbin? What year were you born? Who are your parents?"

“Uhm-“

“Where did you buy that shirt? How much sugar is in your coffee? What kind of phone do you have? What is your opinion on the current gas prices? Is that a pickle in your sandwich!?” Hongbin finally had enough and threw a napkin, crumpled into a ball, in his rambling friend’s face.

“Wonsik, this is Hakyeon.” The smile was back, yay! “Hakyeon, this is Wonsik, my lunch date.”

Realization seemed to hit Hakyeon like a bullet, and he went from a dreadful mother-in-law to a too-excited-about-child-having-a-boyfriend mom.

“Oh, so you’re Wonsik!” The grin he was now showing was kind of unsettling. “Our dearest Hongbin has told us so much about you, like he won’t literally shut up about how attractive he finds you-“ Another napkin ball was thrown at Hakyeon’s face.

“Thanks for your input, now be quiet.” If his friend’s grin had been unsettling, Hongbin’s sugar sweet smile, dimples and all, was downright scary. A small whimper was the only reply he got. “Why are you by yourself, by the way?”

As if on cue, a cup with iced coffee was held out from behind Hakyeon, who grabbed it before taking sip, a content smile gracing his lips. Wonsik was low-key freaking out, because behind the mildly bipolar male stood a tall, broad guy, and it was like meeting the dreadful father-in-law who would kill whoever tried to touch his daughter (or son, depending on the situation). Wonsik was pretty sure the guy was hiding a gun under his shirt, because there was no way his shoulders could be that broad, and he would probably pull it out at any time and point it at Wonsik's head, like fathers do when meeting their kid's boyfriend. Well, that explained why Hakyeon had been speaking in plural form, other than addressing his many, moody selves.

“I’m not, Taekwoonie decided to just get our drinks instead of helping me torment you.”

“Thanks for not being an , Taekwoon.”

“You’re welcome.” Wonsik was baffled by the fact that a soft voice like the one he just heard, came from the owner of a hard gaze such as the one the newly appeared male was sporting. This Taekwoon guy seemed like a living oxymoron.

“You haven’t said a word to me all day, and yet you talk to Hongbin, I feel betrayed!” Taekwoon gently rubbed Hakyeon's back, effectively shutting his whining up. He whispered something into the shorter male's ear, and the words seemed to make his entire day (His mood swings are intense holy ), and Hakyeon grabbed Taekwoon's hand and started dragging him off and away.

"Bye Bean, bye Wonsikie~!" The two figures started walking down the street, and Wonsik let out a breath he didn’t know he had been holding. The last thing that reached their hearing before the odd duo rounded the corner was 'Hongbin's boytoy', and Wonsik's ears became positively red. Hongbin seemed painfully aware. They sat in silence for a moment, to make sure the other two were completely gone, before Hongbin freaked out.

“I’m so sorry, first my dog ran into your feet so you tripped, and now my friends came and probably freaked you out…” Hongbin apologized, cheeks tinted pink in embarrassment, staring Wonsik directly in the eyes with a, dare he say it, sad puppy look. 

"No need to be sorry, it's not your fault." Wonsik smiled reassuringly at his date, remembering Jaehwan's existence and the unavoidable meeting between him and Hongbin. Oh my God, what if the horrid bell pepper mentions my Beyblade collection to Hongbin?! "Believe me, my friends tops the scale of embarrassing friends."

This made Hongbin feel better, if his blinding, 100000 kilowatt smile had anything to say about it.

“I’ll text you; I have to go back to work now, sadly.” Hongbin was still beaming, and Wonsik could’ve sworn he was currently floating on cloud nine. “See you later, Wonsik.”

Suddenly he found himself in an embrace, and although brief, it left Wonsik without any oxygen running through his lungs. He had now floated away from cloud nine, upgraded his ride to a comet that dashes around through the galaxy. Well, maybe only his soul was gone, considering his body was currently very much held against someone else's. The warmth was gone far too soon for Wonsik’s liking, and he already missed Hongbin’s arms around him as the other male disappeared through the café doors with a small wave. Yup, it was official. Wonsik had a ing crush on Lee Hongbin, so big that if it collided with the earth at a speed of 100 km/h, the planet was surely done for.

Dancing and squealing all the way home earned Wonsik a couple of strange gazes, not that he noticed it. He didn’t even pick up the phone when Jaehwan called him later that day to fish after details about the lunch date, too buzzed on Hongbin feels to even try and be coherent.

I actually forgot Hyuk was a character in here so I felt the need to add him cause I like writing him buT IM REALLY EXCITED TO WRITE JAEHWAN NEXT CHAPTER I HOPE I DONT DISSAPPOINT MYSELF.... Oh and also hello Taekwoon and Hakyeon! !  there will be more of them in the future :-)

lmao im so sorry this is late i've been gone for a week.... THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO LEFT SWEET COMMENTS I LOVE U AND THANKS FOR THE BIRTHDAY WISHES <3 also I love all my subscribers and silent readers you guys are awesome i love everyone!!1!1!11

Here's the jeff vine compilation ravi watched btw i crack up everytime im such a piece of trash (X)