Chapter One: Here's to Twelve

We Are One

 

“You know, pretending you can’t hear me calling your name is not going to actually stop me.” Luhan muttered as he fell in step with Yifan. The urge to roll his eyes was strong but somehow Yifan was able to resist it.

 

“I’m still going to try it. You never know, one day I may actually succeed.”

 

“Keep dreaming FanFan.” Luhan gave him a sweet smile and Yifan gave him his patent death glare. He hated being called FanFan and the other knew it well. Why oh why had he chosen Luhan as one of his best friends?

~~

Junmyeon knew that Jongdae was actually a decent writer because he’d somehow managed to get this far as a writing major. So it made absolutely no sense that he’d be proud of a gossip blog. That this blog consisting of a lame url and mostly false information on Tumblr could be his pride and joy; his best work ever.

 

“Seriously? Junmyeon was last seen sneaking off with Chorong. Who are you?” Junmyeon looked up from the laptop sitting on the library table to glare at his friend. The owner of said terrible gossip blog looked unapologetic.

 

“You did go off with her. Not my fault, I’m just the reporter.”

“Just the reporter? She’s my partner for the final project that we had to start immediately even though it’s due at the end of the semester. That’s literally it.” Jongdae looked completely unconvinced as he set down a couple more books down on the table they were occupying.

“You and her are very very close. I think I’m not the only one who knows that.”

“It’s not like that. Now can you not spread nonsense like this around? I mean I doubt people read your blog but if anyone does read it I’d rather it didn’t include me. So do me the favor please.” Junmyeon looked back down at the laptop and sighed before going around the table to retake his seat. He never should’ve gone to Jongdae’s side of the table.

“Fine fine. I won’t report anything else about the two of you. Fyi though you’re not being a good hyung by killing my dreams of being a star reporter. As a journalism major I should be becoming the best reporter of this campus but you’re making me stop.” Junmyeon couldn’t help but raise an eyebrow. Was the younger one actually trying to pull that on him? Sophomores these days.

 

“I’m not killing your dreams. I’m just asking you not to spread lies about me. Aren’t we supposed to be friends?”

 

“We are friends and as friends you should let me report on you. It’s an important thing. Please.” The pout was coming and Junmyeon knew it well. He wasn’t good at resisting pouts from anyone really. This was dangerous, he could end up agreeing to something ridiculous like letting Jongdae continue reporting on him.

 

“Alright. You can report on me but don’t say that I’m still your personal dream killer later on.”

 

The smile that appeared on Jongdae’s face was absolutely terrifying. It was too mischievous for Junmyeon’s liking.

~~

The camera clicked a couple times in rapid succession before it came down. The blonde looked through the pictures quickly before keeping one of the snapshots and beginning to erase the others. After that was done, he began going through the other snapshots and was immediately disappointed. He only had three worthwhile pictures and the others were practically garbage. Sehun was actually going to have to take Chanyeol up on his offer for help. Great.

 

“Let me see your pictures.” He called out to the taller boy and the other snapped a couple shots before handing over his own camera. The blonde went through them all the meanwhile his frown deepened. How on earth did Chanyeol have better pictures than him?

“We’re going to do the assignment as a pair got it?” Sehun said as he handed the camera back to it’s owner. The other smiled brightly.

“I told you that a partnership was a good idea from the start.”

“Yeah yeah.”

Really though Chanyeol taking better pictures than him? Sehun needed to up his game at this rate. It was unacceptable.

~~

Minseok still didn’t understand why he had to take a biology course as a general ed class. It also didn’t make sense that the majority of the other students were Pre-Med or something similar. It was just weird.

The professor by far could not have been more boring if he tried. It was really easy to fall asleep in this class. Too easy if he was being perfectly honest. However, the thought of finishing up his undergrad was just the right amount of motivation he needed to stay awake. He just had to finish strong. Fighting. His friends would say as motivation and support. (Really the only way they knew how to motivate each other outside of making stupid bets.)

Beside him one of the Pre-Med students kept falling asleep and waking up in a start. He felt bad for the other boy. The bags under his eyes made it pretty clear that he needed the sleep he was trying to avoid in order to pay attention. Minseok looked down at his pretty decent notes and decided to make it easy on the other.

He tapped the other on the shoulder the next time he was struggling to stay awake.

“Go ahead and sleep through the lecture. I’ll lend you my notes afterwards. You look like you really need the sleep.” Minseok whispered and the other simply looked at him for a couple seconds before nodding, folding his arms, and falling asleep on them.

Good thing Minseok had picked a seat in the back and the other had joined him back here. As he looked down at his notebook to resume taking notes he took notice of the other’s papers. He read a name scrawled in the corner. Zhang Yixing. Well, at least he knew who the other was now. Minseok resumed taking his notes for both him and Yixing. The lecture was only half over.

~~

Jongin couldn’t deny that he tended to add a little flare when he danced around Kyungsoo. Could you really blame him though? Kyungsoo was really really cute and older than him. He had to stand out among all the other people here. Jongin’s dancing definitely set him apart from every single person at this university.

Like now when the vocal performance majors were congregated around the window of the dance studio watching, after finishing up solo piece exams, he tried a little bit more. He pushed himself further and outdanced everyone around him. Kyungsoo was one of the vp majors closest to the looking glass and it was important he knew Jongin was the best. Freshman or not.

The song he and the other visual performance majors were dancing to was starting to come to a close. He knew every single beat of this song and he moved with it, without any pause. The need to impress still very much a presence in his mind and also his own personal need to give it everything made him dance harder. Made his moves dynamic and on point with the music.

The song came to an end and with it his movement. He looked over at the vp majors looking at him and aimed a tired smile at Kyungsoo. The other boy looked away while biting his lip and that made the whole performance worth it.

Definitely worth it.

~~

Tao could not believe that the first thing his professor wanted out of him was a visual presentation of his ideas. A video no less because bringing models into class one day was way too much work. Unbelievable. Thankfully Sehun had been helpful enough to suggest one of the better video production majors.

A Byun Baekhyun that one of the older boys in one of Sehun’s classes knew. It was easy to find the older boy based off of the descriptions he’d received from Sehun. A shorter boy with a penchant for snapbacks and skinny jeans. Probably sitting around with his smart phone in hand and a camera beside him ready to capture something.

“Are you Byun Baekhyun?” Tao asked once he was close enough. He didn’t want to be wrong so he might as well ask first. The other looked up with sharp eyes and nodded rather seriously.

“Yes. What do you need?”

“I was wondering if you could help me make a video. Park Chanyeol said you were just the man to talk to about that.” At the mention of Chanyeol, Baekhyun set aside his phone and smiled brightly.

“Anything for a friend of Chanyeol’s. When do we start?”