Inferno

I Need You

The warm rays of sunlight seeping through his white curtains were enough to rouse Min Yoongi from his slumber. The young man’s eyes fluttered slowly and the first thing that greeted him was a picture frame cradling a photo that evoked so much emotion from him.

It was a picture of him and his girlfriend taken on the day of their first anniversary when they went to an amusement park. That was probably the happiest moment in Yoongi’s life if only… 

He quickly shut his impending thoughts, pushing them in the back of his tired mind as he forcefully tore his gaze away from the happy photo and looked at his alarm clock instead.

‘Seven in the morning,’ he thought. ‘I still have enough time to prepare.’

He got up from his bed, grabbed the bath towel hanging on his chair before entering the bathroom. Yoongi stood in front of the marble sink and stared at his reflection through the mirror. His friends were right; he really did look like a mess. Pink disheveled hair, pale skin, chapped lips, dark eye circles and slightly hollow cheeks. The boy slowly shook his head as he mocked himself with a smile, running a hand through his bed hair.

‘I should probably fix myself,’ his smile turned bitter. ‘She wouldn’t like it if she sees me in this situation.’

With a heavy sigh he stripped himself before stepping in the shower stall.

‘I’m finally seeing you again,’ he thought as he let the cold water from the shower ran down his face, letting it wash away everything...letting it numb all of his feelings. ‘I missed you, jagiya. I’m doing this for you.’

When he was finished showering he put on a plaid button-up over a white shirt and paired it with his favorite jeans. Yoongi checked himself in his full-body mirror and his lips almost curled up at his outfit. It was the same clothes he wore exactly one year ago, the same clothes that earned him sweet compliments from his adorable girlfriend and the same clothes that always remind him of that fateful night.

‘Just wait for me, jagi, wait for me.’

***

“Hey, hyung, you going somewhere?” Jimin asked as soon as he saw Yoongi emerged from his room.

The older boy looked blankly at him for a few seconds before his face broke out into a bright grin—too bright for Jimin’s liking. “Yeah, it’s a very special day, afterall.” Yoongi slipped on his white sneakers before he added, “Don’t wait up for me, okay?”

“Uh, sure,” Jimin nodded rather unsurely as he stared at Yoongi. There was something weird with the way his hyung acted and it gave an unsettling feeling in the pit of Jimin’s stomach. And why does his outfit looked so strangely familiar? Did he wear it before? But his Yoongi hyung rarely repeats his clothes…

“Yoongi hyung,” a deep voice broke through the forming silence and they both whipped their heads to find Namjoon standing in the living room’s threshold. “Your…mother called and she’s very worried about you.”

A smile ghosted Yoongi’s lips before he took his car key from the holder. “Tell her I’m fine and…thanks for everything.”

“Why don’t you tell her yourself, hyung?” Namjoon muttered in a disappointed tone. He knows how Yoongi loathe his father for what the old man did but he can’t understand why he has to cut his ties with his mother, too. “She misses you and I know you do, too.”

Yoongi turned to his two dorm mates with dark cold eyes, his jaw tight with anger and other pent-up emotions. “You can’t blame me Joonie, she reminds me of that bastard and all the ing things he did to me and my…” He trailed off, not wanting to let the memories further cloud his mind but he’s sure that his friends perfectly knew what he was about to say.

Namjoon and Jimin weren’t able to say anything. They can’t really blame Yoongi because they saw how broken and hurt he was when that incident happened. They were living witnesses on how Yoongi almost destroyed and tried to kill himself several times and they were just lucky enough to prevent it from happening. The pain their hyung felt almost made him insane but Namjoon and their other friends were always there to help him get through it. They never left his side and they were the ones who became his family when Yoongi cut all of his ties with his own. Yoongi came from a very rich family and when he had a relationship with a girl outside their league, his father took matters in his own hands and the result pretty much devastated Yoongi to the point of running away and living on his own. It’s really cliché, Namjoon and their other friends once thought but that’s the sad reality—that’s how some rich family really worked.

There was a pregnant silence before Yoongi sighed, slipped on his poker face and spoke again, “Look, guys, I’m really thankful for all of your help and I’m really grateful that I have friends like you,” he paused while Jimin and Namjoon shot him odd looks. “But you have to understand that I want to be happy, too.”

The two continued staring at him, puzzled as to what their friend was trying to say.

“What I mean is,” he hesitated for a while and when he spoke again, he had a genuine smile—a smile they haven’t seen in a while—displaying on his lips. “You’re my family now and I’ll never forget you, guys.”

“Hyung…” was all Namjoon and Jimin managed to say before Yoongi completely went out of their dorm and disappeared from their sight.

“That…was weird,” Jimin said, flustered. "Why does he sound like he'd be leaving us for good?"

Namjoon furrowed his eyebrows. “Do you know what date is today?”

It took a while before realization dawned on Jimin. “. Today is…”

The blonde tall guy nodded solemnly. “Yes. And that clothes…”

“Why do I have a bad feeling about all this?”

***

Yoongi smiled happily as he pulled over a familiar playground.  It’s been a while since he last went here and visiting the place again, like they did on their anniversary last year, made him remember all their pleasant memories. After all, this playground was one of his girlfriend’s favorite places.

When he got out of his car, he noticed that the place was quieter than usual. There were just a few children playing here and there. He walked towards the swings with a nostalgic smile on his face.

“Yoongi-yah!” happiness filled his heart upon seeing his girlfriend’s beaming face. She was sitting on one of the swings, waiting for him. “What took you so long?”

“I’m sorry, Haemin-ah,” he smiled sweetly at the girl as he kneeled in front of her, hands clutching the chains on either side of her. “You're just too early as always.”

“It’s okay,” Haemin smiled adorably at her. “I just missed you.”

Yoongi’s eyes turned into a pair of cute crescents as his lips tugged into a smile. “I missed you, too. So much.” He leaned closer to her and planted a sweet kiss on her forehead.

“You know, this is just like the date we had on our last anniversary,” she mused as she looked down on her boyfriend.

“That’s the point, sweetie,” Yoongi got up from his position before he went around the girl to stand behind her. “This is like a repeat of our date.”

Haemin craned her neck to look at the pink haired boy. “A repeat? You’re silly, oppa.”

He leaned down to peck her rosy cheek. “Only for you. Happy anniversary, jagiya.”

Haemin giggled before she greeted him back. “Happy anniversary!”

“I’m gonna push you now, so hold tight, okay?” Yoongi told her before he started to gently push her from behind. Haemin’s laughter was like a pleasant music to the boy’s ear and he could listen to it all day.

Not long after, a little boy stood a few feet away from them with a confused look on his face. He was staring at Yoongi like had grown another head.

“Hey, Yoongi,” his girlfriend called out to him. “I think the kid wanted to ride the swing, too.”

Yoongi’s eyebrow shot up, “The other seats are vacant and he can sit there.”

A smile graced Haemin’s beautiful face. “Maybe he wanted you to push him, too!” Then she looked directly at the little boy. “Do you want this hyung to push you, too, little boy?”

She got no response from the boy as his curious eyes were still steadily trained to Yoongi who kept on gently pushing her.

“Yoongi, talk to him,” Haemin persuaded him as she planted both of her feet on the sand to stop the swing’s movement.

The pinked haired boy looked down at Haemin then at the boy in front of them.

“You got a problem, boy?” he asked in a serious voice which scared the kid.

“Mister, you’re weird!” the boy shouted at him before sprinting away.

Haemin stood up from her seat and swatted Yoongi’s arms. “Why did you do that?”

Yoongi feigned hurt as he caressed his arm and pouted at his girlfriend. “Because that brat is annoying!”

The girl clucked her tongue at him and said, “You’re such a brat, too, you know?”

“Yeah, but you love this brat,” he grinned at her before pulling her into a tight warm hug. Haemin smiled tenderly before she nodded in agreement and whispered, “Yes, my own bratty Yoongi.”

 

***

It was already quarter to five in the afternoon and they were currently in his car after spending almost the whole day on the amusement park.

“The people in the amusement park were quite weird,” Haemin said as she looked outside her window. “They kept on staring at us.”

A smirk danced on Yoongi’s lips. “Because you have such a handsome and swag-filled boyfriend.”

Haemin shot him a look before snorting in an unlady-like fashion. “Yeah, right.”

“What?” Yoongi chuckled at her reaction. “Am I not handsome and swag-filled?”

“I think I’m too thirsty to answer that,” she . “Why don’t we stop over that convenient store first? I remember buying drinks there last year.” Haemin pointed at the small store on their right and Yoongi slowed down before pulling over the small parking lot intended for the store’s customers.

Yoongi was the first one to get off the car and being the gentleman he is, he opened the door for his beautiful girlfriend. A customer who just went out of the store was even surprised at what he did and even gave Yoongi a perplexed look. 

“My, how nice of you, prince charming,” Haemin said in a mock-formal manner, teasing her cute gentleman boyfriend.

“Of course, anything for my princess,” he said in an equally formal manner, going along with her as he held an arm out for her to hold. “Shall we?”

When they were inside, Yoongi made her wait on one of the seats as he went to get them both a cup of hot chocolate. Upon filling both cups with the sweet liquid he proceeded to pay for them on the counter.

The middle-aged woman tending the counter eyed the two cups questioningly but didn’t ask him anything and simply continued to ring his purchases. “Anything, boy?”

Yoongi politely shook his head and said, “No, that’s all.” He went over to where his girlfriend was waiting and placed the cup in front of her.

“Thank you,” Haemin gave him a bright smile that never failed to make Yoongi’s heart flutter.

He smiled back tenderly as he slid on the seat across her. “Be careful, it’s hot.”

Yoongi watched as Haemin blew on her hot choco in her own cute way. “Hey, have I ever told you that I love you?”

The girl blushed as she looked up at him with wide eyes. Yoongi chuckled lightly at her reaction which he found endearing and he can’t help but sigh dreamily. He suddenly found himself wondering how in the world he deserved a perfect girl like her. “I love you, okay? Don’t ever forget that.”

Haemin’s blush intensified but she smiled back affectionately, nonetheless. “I love you, too, Min Yoongi. Don’t ever forget that…ever.”

They happily sipped their drinks with loving smiles on their faces.

On the other side of the room, the woman behind the cashier was engrossed in deep thoughts until something dawned upon her, her face showing recognition. She looked across the room and at the only occupied table at the moment. Now she knew why the boy looked familiar to her, it’s because she saw him a year ago together with a very beautiful girl. She won’t ever forget the young girl because of her kindness. And if her memory served her right, it was also this time of the year when the couple came to the store. She was having a nasty cold that day and the girl gave her a medicine and a water bottle. She can’t help but to smile sadly as she stared at the table…she had heard of their tragic story… and the woman can’t help but wonder…

Why does life had to be unfair?

***

“Do we really have to go in there again?” Haemin asked Yoongi as he was unloading an unusually large duffel bag from the car’s trunk. She gave the run-down commercial building in front of them a wary look. The sign that said “Motel” was glowing red and it made them both remember memories not worth looking back. The way the building looked so forgotten was practically screaming that the business was better off closed.

“Yep,” he answered nonchalantly. “This is a repeat of our anniversary date last year right? So, we have to finish the day here…just like last year.”

Haemin looked at her boyfriend, eyes filled with worry and sadness. “Yoongi…”

The boy just grinned at her but Haemin perfectly knew that he was masking his true emotions again…like usual.

“Come on,” Yoongi slung the duffel bag over his shoulder as he held his girlfriend’s hands with his free hand. “It’s already getting dark.” He looked up at the sky painted in pretty shade of dark blue, purple and some dust of pink clouds. The sun had already set and in just a matter of a few minutes, the moon will soon take its place. “The only thing missing right now is the rain.”

Haemin gazed at Yoongi as she remembered what he was talking about. They found this motel by accident when it suddenly rained so hard on their way home from their last anniversary date. During that time, the road became too slippery and Yoongi found it too hard to drive. He thought that if they continued driving, they might get into an accident so they decided to just find a place to stay until the storm pass and that’s how they ended up at the old and run-down motel.

Haemin squeezed her boyfriend’s hand and said, “You don’t have to do this, Yoongi, please…”

The boy flashed Haemin a heart-wrenching smile. “But I want to…I…I need to, Haemin.” He paused and tried to contain the pain and anger buried in him for a long time now. “I can’t live like this any longer. I need you.”

The girl felt warm tears prick the back of her eyes as she stared at Yoongi’s broken expression. “But this is not…right.”

“I don’t even know what’s right anymore since that day, Haemin,” he muttered softly, eyes gazing at their interlocked hands. “So, please…Just let me do this. Let me be with you.”

Haemin looked him straight in the eyes and she realized that nothing can change his decisions anymore. It was his final resolve and there’s nothing she can do now.

For a moment, they just stood there staring at each others eyes and as if they had both arrived at a same conclusion, Yoongi muttered a small “Thanks” before they both entered the dilapidated building.

***

“Are you checking in?” a lanky girl with a black bob-cut lazily asked from behind a shabby counter as she popped a pink bubble gum on . She suspiciously eyed the duffel bag on Yoongi’s shoulder but didn’t bother to inspect it anyways. 

“Yeah, room for two, please,” Yoongi answered in his deep tone before glancing over to Haemin and giving her a reassuring smile.

The girl raised an eyebrow and shot him a questioning look. “Room for two?”

“Yes, miss,” he answered again, impatience lacing his voice.

Seeing the receptionist hesitate, Yoongi spoke again in a more demanding and urgent tone, “I have the money to pay, okay?” Then he extended a hand to her with his palm facing upwards. “Are you going to give the key or not?”

“Uh, yes, the key,” she said with uncertainty, popping her gum again before putting the key on top of his pale hand. “Enjoy…your stay.”

The girl stared in bewilderment as she thought of how strange the new customer was. The way he acted creep the girl out but she chose to just ignore it—which was a big mistake.

***

Yoongi dropped the heavy bag at the foot of the bed with a loud thud. He sighed as he looked around the cold, spacious and almost empty room decorated only with a lone lamp shade and an old style television that display nothing but static. The room still looked the same as if it was mocking him. It was the exact same room they occupied last year.

The memories were still fresh like it just happened yesterday. He clenched his eyes shut as the terrifying scenes from before flashed in the back of his mind; the same images that haunted him even in his dreams. Yoongi exhaled a shaky breath and decided to finish this once and for all.

He sat down on that same bed after he slipped out of his blue plaid button-up, leaving him on his white shirt. He looked up at Haemin and invited her to lie down with him on the bed.

“Why are you so sad?” he softly asked as he lay on his side, facing his girlfriend.

“Please,” she whispered desperately, face contorted in pure anguish. “You don’t have to do this to yourself.”

He knew that she was right but he just can’t continue living like this anymore. He was already dead in more ways than one, anyway; what difference could it make?

“I need to be with you,” he said and his eyes spoke the truth that his words held. “I need you.”

“But I can’t let you do this,” Haemin insisted as she cupped both his pallid cheeks. “You deserve more than this and I’m setting you free, Yoongi.” Tears started rolling down her face. “So, please, I’m begging you…let me go.”

The boy felt his own eyes get warm as he closed them. He held her hands against his face as if it was his lifeline. “No, I can’t let you go…Didn’t I promise you that I’ll follow you even in the depths of hell?”

He had decided a long time ago and he had planned for this day. This was the only way Yoongi knows to end all his pain. He must finish it exactly where it all began and end at the same time. He must erase all the memories, all the images, all the sorrow, and even his existence right then and there.

Yoongi believed that it was all his fault and he blames himself for letting that happen to her.

There was a moment of silence and when he opened his eyes, Haemin was nowhere to be seen. The room suddenly felt colder than before and Yoongi felt emptier. He needed to end this now before he goes insane.

Yoongi sat down on the edge of the bed and took out a lighter from his jeans' pocket. He played with it for a while as horrible images flashed before his dead eyes once again.

That night, when they crashed on that motel to wait for the storm to pass, he had no idea that it was the last time they will be together.

He flicked the lighter open.

He went out to buy food on the nearby convenient store.

He flicked the lighter close.

But when he returned, he was greeted by a ghastly scene that he knew would haunt him for the rest of his life.

Open.

He saw his girlfriend, Haemin, lying lifeless on the bed and bathing in her own blood. There were many stabs on her torso and a huge gash on her pale neck. His heart dropped on his stomach and air was knocked out of his lungs. He fell on his knees as desperate angry confused tears were streaming down his ashen face.

Close.

A few days later, he discovered that it was his own father’s doing in a desperate attempt to put an end to their relationship that Yoongi had bravely fought for. The man hired a killer to do it. It was not a mystery how the killer managed to do it without being caught; after all, the shabby motel lacks security in the first place. And with the power and influence his father possesses, he could get away with everything—even with murder. He knew that his father was a cold-hearted rich man who will do anything for power and money but he didn’t expect that the old man would go as far as to kill his girlfriend. That was the last straw for Yoongi and he runaway, cutting all ties with his family.

He fell back on the bed and stayed like that for a few moments before he got up again, slipped the lighter back in his pocket and opened his duffel bag. He took out the gasoline container and screwed the cap off.

With a pair of lifeless eyes and a seemingly blank state of mind, he started to pour a trail of gasoline on the floor and up to the foot of the bed. Upon reaching the bed, he climbed on top of it and started pouring all of the liquid on the blanket and bed sheet. All sense of reason seemed to abandon Yoongi by that time.

After emptying the contents of the container, he got off the bed and fished for his lighter again from his pocket. He flicked it open and stared at the tiny bright flame it produced as he replayed that day’s events.

Yoongi was alone the entire day.

From the playground where a little boy was staring weirdly at him because he was pushing an empty swing.

To the amusement park where he received a lot of odd looks from the people because he acted like he was actually with someone when in fact he’s all by himself.

Even in the convenient store where a customer was surprised when he opened the car door for no one and the cashier lady gave him a sad sympathetic smile thinking that he was imagining that his girlfriend was actually with him. He even bought two cups of hot chocolate drink and acted as if he was drinking it with Haemin.

Until the moment he arrived at the motel, he acted as if he had someone else with him and even booked a room for two. The receptionist thought that he was strange because he was obviously alone with only a duffel bag at that time.

May be they were right, maybe he really was crazy. 

But he doesn’t give a damn.

A hollow smile curved on Yoongi’s lips as he slowly loosened his fingers around the lighter. Little by little, it was slipping out of his grasp…

Just like his sanity…

Just like his life…

‘Finally,’ he thought as he stood there alone in the middle of the room. ‘We could be together…forever.’

The moment the lighter hit the floor wet with gasoline, fire immediately spread throughout the room. Bright red flames everywhere; making anything it touched burn hotly. Yoongi stood in the middle of it all; his white skin a stark contrast against the angry blaze that surrounded him.

‘I love you, Haemin.’ And with that last thought, he closed his eyes and let the raging inferno swallow him whole.


 

 

A/N: Phew! Another version done. However, I kind of strayed away from I Need U's meaning bacause I had to think of a plot that would fit Yoongi's scene and this story is what I came up with. I actually found it hard to think of an elaborate story for Yoongi, so I really hope that it wasn’t lame, crappy or anything. My two favorite version, V and Jungkook’s, were quite easy to write but for the others…I think their parts in the MV are too short and vague, especially Jimin’s part! How the heck could I make a story out of a bathtub scene? LOL! But I will still try my best, I’ll take it as a challenge but it might take a while before I update. I gotta think hard for the other versions. 

Anyway, thanks for all those who took time to read my story. Until next time!

fianishou15, this is for you, dear.

So, who’s next? I may consider requests. XD

 

PS. I’m planning on writing a zombie apocalypse story involving groups like BTS, EXO, GOT7, and possibly other kpop groups and artists (though they would be special appearances only since I don’t know them that well keke. Those three I’ve mentioned above will probably be the main casts.) then I’ll add some OC and will roll it into one comedy, horror, thriller, adventure, romance, action plot. :D

I’m also planning on writing a detective/mystery story involving the same groups as main and other various artists coz in the plot I’ve got in my mind, I need many idol groups. keke. Anyway I’m just sharing. Ciao!