The Day of the Outbreak- Part I

Outbreak- The Journey To Danger
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
The Day of the Outbreak

 

 

 

''An advise to all civilians out there! Keep your windows shut and your doors locked! It is extremely dangerous outside! Don’t let any animals or human into your hou-''

 

Seoyoon let out a grunt as she turned around in her bed. She pulled the sheets to savour the warmth. She forced one eye open as she tried to see the time on her radio. It was way too early- 3:07 PM on a Saturday? She reluctantly stretched her arm to shut the damn device.  Seoyoon was definitely going to sleep at least a few hours more.

 

The brunette let out a sigh as she closed her eyes again and listened to the sounds around her.

 

Wait something is off…

 

Seoyoon opened both her eyes and stared at the ceiling. She concentrated on the silence around her. This wasn’t right. It was Saturday noon...she sat up straight in her bed and looked around her. Everything seemed normal. As if nothing was out of place...

 

It was too quiet to her liking. She should be able to hear babies noises...her neighbours on both sides had small children who would usually wake her in the morning.

 

Suddenly, Seoyoon heard a high pitched scream which made her blood turn cold. The scream was ear deafening. Seoyoon was sure she recognized it though. The brunette slowly mustered enough courage to leave her bed and check out where the sound was coming from.

 

It was evident the screams were coming from the bedroom across the hall when she opened her door. Seoyoon's eyes widened upon the realization that it was her mother who was screaming. The brunette felt like someone had thrown hot water over her head. Should she check it out? Should she ignore the screams?

 

Seoyoon realized her mother had stopped screaming. The young adult took a deep breath as she put her hand on the cold doorknob. She couldn't help herself but open the door to her parent’s room. She peeked around the corner and her stomach dropped.

 

She couldn’t believe her eyes. She was on the verge of vomiting. 

 

Seoyoon's father- who looked like an animal, was munching on her mother's- now, lifeless body.

Seoyoon knew she couldn't do anything so she tried to stop her body from shaking. Her mother's neck had been broken and half of it had been already devoured by her 'father'.

 

Seoyoon focussed on her father’s appearance. He missed an arm, his eyes were pitch black and it seemed like his teeth had mutated into something which oddly resembled fangs. He had a lot of bald spots on his head and Seoyoon could clearly see his flesh was rotting.

 

Seoyoon suddenly fell against the open door as her legs gave up on her- gaining the attention of the 'thing'-(or her father, whatever it was). His dark eyes held no emotion except for hunger. She swore she could hear it growl when it slowly moved out of the double sized bed.

 

Seoyoon felt the adrenaline bust through her system as she screamed while dashing to her own bedroom. She could hear it chase her as the thing instantly reacted to her preyish behaviour.

 

She quickly shut the door, causing it to slam into his face. She didn’t hesitate to lock it.

 

''Oh my God, Oh my God. What do I do, what is going on?!!''

 

Seoyoon pulled her hair with trembling hands while she walking in small circles. Her first instinct was to escape. She had to. It was clear that both her parents were no longer...here. So there was no need in trying to help- or save them. Seoyoon harshly wiped the falling tears off her face and tried to ignore her aching heart. She couldn’t cry, not now!

 

She heard her father bang loudly against the door. He was making disgusting sounds which turned Seoyoon's stomach upside down.

 

''All right, Seoyoon. You have to stay strong. You have to leave the house.''

 

The brunette tried to talk some hard needed courage into herself. She walked to the window and took a peek with her heart pounding in her neck. The brunette wondered if there were more of those things… Luckily she didn’t see a single soul out on the streets.

 

Seoyoon opened her window and scanned for anything that could break her fall. She lived in a mediocre house so if she were to jump out of her window, she should be able to make it without breaking a bone.

 

Seoyoon spotted the bushes right across of her window. She knew she had to jump in them if she wanted to leave the house without being eaten. Seoyoon took a deep breath before wiping away the remains of her hot tears and jumped out of her window while letting out a shriek.

 

She landed in the bushes but not without scratches. She hissed and stood up; she ignored the burning pain and carefully scanned her surroundings.

 

Still no soul to be seen.

 

Where do I go?

 

Seoyoon walked around for a bit until she saw her parent's car. She realised she couldn’t go far without it so she decided to go back to her house and find the keys.

 

The brunette jogged the way back and searched for the spare, house key underneath the doormat. She opened the door and took deep breaths before entering the house. She didn’t want to return inside but she didn’t have a choice. She didn’t want to be faced with her dead parents so soon. The brunette didn’t even have a chance to mourn properly.

 

Seoyoon didn't hear a single sound- which made her heart pick up its beat. Why was it quiet in here? As a matter of fact, why was the whole neighbourhood so quiet?

 

Seoyoon knew her mother's key was in the living room. The brunette was relieved that no one besides her parents and herself lived in this house. Her brother had already moved out a few months ago and her sister- who was younger by a year and a half- was living with him. They lived in a nearby city.

 

She opened the door to the living room and peeked again. Just to be sure. She didn’t see or hear anything unusual so she quickly sprinted to the coffee table and grabbed the car keys. Seoyoon was about to go outside again when she stopped in her tracks.

 

She needed some clothes...and some personal belongings. She couldn’t walk away without it, right? Besides her phone was also still upstairs.

 

And maybe, maybe, once she went upstairs, she would realize this was all a sick joke. Her dad probably would jump out of his room saying: ‘’surprise, sweetheart!’’ And her mom would walk out with her disgustingly, well-made costume…

 

Seoyoon sniffed, she knew that wouldn’t happen. The brunette reluctantly walked up the stairs. She was afraid her father would be still there.

 

, I locked the door to my room…

 

Seoyoon literally face palmed herself. How could she be so stupid? How was she supposed to grab clothes? Seoyoon could go to the attic and get spare clothes, but was it worth the trouble?

 

When she reached the hallway she cursed herself for not taking a knife from the kitchen.

 

To her surprise her bedroom door was missing. Seoyoon approached her room with cautious eyes- she thought her mind was playing tricks on her… the door was seriously missing!

  

Seoyoon shrugged; she didn’t have any time to wonder about her missing bedroom door. The brunette went in her room which was completely empty. She didn’t waste a second as she grabbed a sports bag and threw some undergarments and her favourite clothes in them. Seoyoon didn't grab things like her toothbrush since she could always find them in a store. Lastly she grabbed her phone and charger with her wallet and she threw her bag outside the window.

 

When she was about to jump out of her window for the second time, she heard heavy breathing. And to be honest- it sounded disgusting. The hairs in Seoyoon's neck stood up. Her heart accelerated.

 

Seoyoon didn't want to turn her head but she did so anyway.

 

Her mother- whom she was sure couldn't survive a broken neck, stood in the door opening. Her night gown had turned from a lovely pink to a disturbing red. Her head was hanging on a piece of meat- which had once been her neck.

 

''...mom…? Mom is that you?''

 

Seoyoon's voice croaked as she tried to fight against her tears. The sight killed Seoyoon. Her mother took a step forward, and Seoyoon took one backwards. Her back was now against the window frame. She was sure her mom wasn't here anymore, but seeing her body like that...Seoyoon couldn’t help but feel paralyzed.

 

If it wasn't for her dad- who jumped on her mother from underneath Seoyoon's bed, she would have never climbed out of the window in time.

 

This time she landed on the solid ground. When she stood up, it felt like lightning struck her in her ankle. Seoyoon ignored it- limping forward, whilst she searched for her bag.

 

''What exactly is going on?!'' She mumbled with one hand in her hair.

 

Seoyoon finally found her bag in the bushes and sprinted (as far as a limping person can sprint) to the car. She opened the doors and quickly locked them again once she was inside.

 

 

Everything happened too fast. One moment she was sleeping soundly in her bed and the next she was running from her parents who wanted to eat her…Not able to withstand the hurt- Seoyoon broke down into a crying mess. Her hands held her head as she cried her heart out while her body was furiously shaking.

 

After she had been crying for what felt

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter