from me to you

From Me to You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kai hands me a glass of Iced Americano and plops himself down on the seat in front of me. We’re now in the coffee shop on the ground level of the mall since he wants us to have a rather private talk rather than fight in front of the audience. Now that I think of it, a surge of mortification seeps through me. I wonder if people may think I’m a crazy for yelling at Kai like he just stole my toy, for God’s sake.

To be honest, I don’t want to be here with him and listen to his explanation. I’m afraid I’d be swayed. I know that’s unlikely to happen, but glancing occasionally at how serious he looks right now, I doubt myself.

“Soojung, I want to talk to you here because I believe I owe you an explanation.” He chugs a large sip of his Iced Mocha Frappuccino. He then stares at me with tension. “About why, uhm, I kissed you the other night.”

I take time to you reply. “You know, you don’t need to explain it because you already told me before,” I remark, noting the previous conversation we had earlier.

“Touché,” he replies in defeat. He looks down, as though he’s got nothing to say, and just aimlessly stirs his drink with the straw.

Being in the same situation as he is—I’ve got nothing to say as well—and the awkward silence is killing me, I shift the drink closer to me and have a sip of it.

Jesus, this Iced Americano tastes so awfully bitter! I’ve never drunk one, so I had no idea how it tasted. It tastes so bitter like I just completely bit a medication tablet. Seriously, I’m confused as to why celebrities like to chug this stupid drink.

He notices my changing expression. “What’s wrong?”

“Nothing,” I say awkwardly. “Can you just get me a glass of cold water?”

“Sure,” he says innocently, and runs as fast as he can to the counter.

A minute later, he returns with a glass of cold water and I immediately chug it until the water in the glass becomes half.

“Are you sure that you’re okay, Soojung?” Kai sips his Iced Mocha Frappuccino again. Hold on. Why does he have the obviously delicious drink, but I have this stupidly bitter Iced Americano? When I told him that I’d drink anything he orders, I never thought he’d order me this one, seriously. Is he pulling me a prank because of what I did to him this whole week?

“I’m okay.” I feel a lump in my throat, and swallow it hard. “Anyway, is there anything you’d like to say to me, Kai?”

“I surely do.” He nods.

“What is it?”

“Do you believe in love at first sight, Soojung?”

“Sorry?” I’m gobsmacked. My eyes turn wide. He’s indeed out of the topic—talking about love at first sight out of the blue.

He chews on his lower lip. “Do you remember when we first met eye to eye?” he asks. “On the day where I saw you holding a box that looked like a pizza box, right?”

“I remember it,” I say. “I mean, how can I not remember it? You even called me ‘pizza girl’.”

He laughs. “You were wrong, though. We first met eye to eye before that day. I had no idea it happened, but we were looking at the same direction and… I smiled at you.”

Oh yes, I forgot that day. The day where for the first time ever, my heart beat for someone. We somehow happened to look at each other, and he gave me a small smile, yet it gave me a big impact in my life. That day was also the day where I first knew who Kai was and his clique, too.

“Jung Soojung.”

“Yes.” I look at him in the eye. It’s weird that he calls me by my full name. He’s never done that before, has he?

“I’m only going to ask you once, so please listen carefully.” Kai stares at me, breathes in deeply, and when he’s ready, he breathes out.

He professes, “Would you like to go out with me? As in be my girlfriend?”

///

Kai sends me off to the subway station when it only gets dark in the evening. Little do we realize that it’s actually quite late and we have spent almost an hour in the coffee shop.

“Soojung, why haven’t you answered me?” Kai says on the way there, breaking the pregnant silence. “Are you, by chance, not interested in me?”

My throat feels tight. “Who says so? I didn’t say I’m not interested in you, did I?”

“Then, can I take it as a yes?” he says, his face lights up.

I look away. I still remember his serious face when he told about liking me. It’s not that I didn’t notice of how he looks at me—he wouldn’t have offered himself to be my company at the mall the other day if he hadn’t felt something for me.

I open my mouth, finally. “Kai, before we jump too quickly on that matter, I want to ask you something.”

“What is it?” he asks. “Just shoot me anything. I’ll answer for you.”

I walk to a corner of the hallway and stand there. He follows me a second later. “This may sound like I’m boasting myself, but I was really wondering,” I say. “Since when exactly did you start to like me?”

He raises an eyebrow. “I thought I’d told you earlier.”

“Had you? I don’t think you had.”

“Really?” He does not seem to buy my word. He lets out a sigh. “Anyway, the first moment that that made me start to fall head over heels for you—”

I cough, and he unconsciously stops.

“What happened?” he asks, his eyes widening.

“Nothing,” I stutter. I can’t believe he said those words. “Keep on going.”

“Is that really important when I first started to like you, Soojung?” He takes a sudden twist, and it shoots me a big blow. “I don’t think it is, Soojung. Just because I suddenly told you that I like you doesn’t mean I’m bluffing. It’s the truth.”

“I… I…” I try to say a word, but it doesn’t come out like I wanted it to be.

He holds my shoulders with his thick hands. “Soojung,” he says, looking straight into my eyes. His voice resonates strongly in my eardrums.

“Y-yes?”

At first, his face was serious, then it softens—like a happy kid’s. A smile blooms vastly at the corner of his lips—a sincere one. “Be my girlfriend, will you?”

My heart melts suddenly, and I reckon that it’s never too late to say yes.

///

“Soojung, who are you waiting for? I think you’ve been eyeing the door for a while.” Luna’s question throws me off guard.

Naeun nods in acknowledgement. “Luna’s right, Soojung. There’d be a big hole so soon if you keep on doing that, you know.” She bursts out laughing with Luna next to her.

Embarrassed, I halt my action, immediately give them a confused look, and lock a strand of hair behind my ear. “Oh, have I been doing that?”

“Yes, you have,” says Luna.

“I wonder just who you’re waiting for, Soojung,” Naeun merely hisses, but I catch it clearly.

Jinri gives me an understood look. She knows that who I’m waiting for because yes, I told her about what is brewing between me and Kai. Just so you know, I was reluctant to do that because I just wanted to keep it a secret. I certainly know what is going to happen if the dating news spread through the campus. Plus, the guy’s Kai—the hottest guy of the century.

She was really mad at first, thinking that I took her nothing more than a ‘coursemate’. However, when I explained that we’re just going out not more than several days, she cooled down, and eventually realized that she can’t help but ‘bless’ the blooming relationship. She wondered how we got to know each other, though. I just shrugged it off and let her wonder whatever she wanted.

By the way, I asked her whether she’s okay with me going out with Kai and she told me she wasn’t really into the idea, but since I like him, then she’d just accept him for who he is.

“But look, I’ll swear I’ll kick his hard if one day he breaks up with you without any concrete reasons,” she told me the other day. “But if it’s the other way around, I’ll kick yours.”

I just giggled upon hearing that.

“Is the empty seat next to you for him, Soojung?” she whispers softly.

I nod hurriedly, stealing a glance at Naeun and Luna. They’re not looking at us; they’re busy talking to each other. It’s either two; fangirling about their favorite idol groups or ing about the girls they loathe.

“I see—” Her eyes go wide. “Look, he’s here!”

I follow her eyes to the door and there Kai is. He’s entering the classroom and swiveling his head around, as if he’s searching for me.

I would like to yell ‘I’m here’ but that’s probably not a very good idea.

All of a sudden, our eyes meet. A toothy grin splashes across his face. He gives me a hand gesture and makes his way to my direction.

“Hey,” Kai says, dumping his sling bag on the floor. “Sorry for being late. The bus got stuck in a traffic jam because there was an accident ahead. Thank God Mrs. Jo isn’t here yet.”

I chuckle. “You know, you should really consider your Mom’s idea of having a personal driver.”

“Can you not spoil my mood in such a fine morning, Soojung?” He groans heavily.

“Sorry, my bad,” I say in defeat. I don’t bother looking at my friends because I knew what their expression look like. Naeun and Luna must be gaping at the sight of Kai sitting amiably next to me. It’s likely they’d ask Jinri about us later. But anyway, I’ll tell them the truth, since I’ve been ready since last night. Kai told me the same thing—he cannot keep the secret any longer.

“Ah, by the way, are you busy after class?”

I lift a shoulder. “Not really. I’ll probably just go straight home after lunch.”

“That’s good.” His beam widens. “Let’s go to the mall later. I need to get a haircut. Mom’s been nagging at me last week. She told me my hair’s too messy and can’t help but think that I look like a beggar. She’s mean, isn’t she?”

“Nah, she’s right,” I admit, laughing. “You really have to get a haircut. Your hair’s a mess.”

///

“Everything’s going to be just okay, Soojung. Trust me.” Kai turns around, and gives me a soft smile.

“Really?” I still sound dubious. “What if they don’t like me? You know, right? I’m not fancy, beautiful or—”

He cuts me off. “You are beautiful just the way you are.” He entwines his fingers with mine. “Now, let’s go. They must be wondering why I haven’t been with them during lunch time yet.”

I look down, gripping his fingers tightly. “Okay.” I just hope everything will just be fine like he just said.

Soon we reach the cafeteria, everyone’s eyes in involuntarily on us. They are all looking gobsmacked to see Kai walking with a girl, hand in hand.

I squirm feebly under my breath when murmurs start to erupt, but Kai just tightens the grip, as though telling me to keep calm.

“Hey, guys.” Kai finds his clique at the left side of the cafeteria. He lets go of my hand, takes a seat next to Sehun, and gestures me to take the empty seat beside him.

“Hey,” Sehun says awkwardly, eyes glued on me. Others are the same; they are flabbergasted to see me with Kai and must be wondering who I am.

“Kai, mind to introduce the girl next to you?” Yura crosses her arm over his chest leisurely.

“Is she your girlfriend?” Seulgi shoots a question.

Kai chuckles. “Guys, this is Jung Soojung.” Our eyes meet for a few seconds before he focuses back on his friends. “As you can see, yes. She’s my girlfriend.”

“Hi everyone,” I mutter a word, my cheeks fuming red. “Nice to meet you.”

Seulgi almost spits on her drink. “What on earth! Kai has a girlfriend? So that was why he didn’t sit with us earlier, right?” She starts laughing. “This really doesn’t make sense at all!”

Yura laughs too, but Suzy looks calm. She’s like having something on her mind. “Have we met before, Soojung?”

I nod. “When I was working a day here.”

“Just like I thought.” She grins at me. “No wonder you look familiar.”

“What?” Kai seems taken aback. “You two have known each other?”

Suzy just shrugs, and I just smile at him.

“So how long have you two been dating?” Sehun looks at me and Kai back and forth. “You know, I had no idea you two were dating even though Kai

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter