let the heart speak

From Me to You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Miyoung unnie came to me this morning asking for my help to look after the counter during lunchtime. I was actually flustered at first. Not because I am not comfortable being a cashier at the cafeteria or anything, but the fact that she’s asking for my favor just because she wants to go on a lunch date with her boyfriend.

Not wanting to disappoint her, I said yes right away upon her request and here I’m at the cafeteria, being the cashier during lunchtime.

The atmosphere at the cafeteria is quite lively and rowdy because majority of the students prefer to dine here. It’s nearby and they don’t have to go outside for lunch. However, I do not really prefer to dine here. I usually would go out of the campus with Jinri, Luna and Naeun to the food court. Although we have to walk about five minutes, it’s better than the cafeteria just because of one reason; the price for each food and drink is affordable.

I roll my eyes when the recognizable blond makes her way to the counter after choosing her food. She’s Suzy—one of Kai’s friends.

“Hi,” she greets briefly and takes out some notes from her clutch.

I take the notes from her hand after I have calculated the price.

“Is that ‘Remember Me?’”

I look up in astonishment. “Sorry?” I return the balance to her.

“I mean, that novel on the table. Is that yours?” She lifts an eyebrow.

“Uh-oh, yes. That’s mine,” I say. “You know, I brought it here in case I get bored.”

“You shouldn’t have read the novel. It’s no good. You should try reading Kinsella’s other novels like ‘Can You Keep a Secret?’ or Shopaholic Series. It’s much better than that one.”

I stare at her, wide-eyed. Never once have I thought a popular girl like her would actually read books. Indeed this is very astonishing.

“Why are you staring at me like that?” She lets out a chuckle. “You know, just because the way I look or behave doesn’t mean I don’t read. I have tons of books in my room, okay?”

“I see.” Maybe that’s why we shouldn’t judge the book by its cover. She’s the most popular girl here, yet she is a bookworm—she reads books more than I do.

“By the way,” she says before leaving. “Do I know you? You’re not permanent here, are you?”

“I’m just helping out a senior today,” I answer, “and I think you don’t know me. This is the first we have ever talked.”

“Really?” She frowns at me. “Your face somehow rings a bell, but I have no idea where I saw you.”

“I would say you must have been mistaken.” I flash a smile at her.

///

 

 

I knew Kai would be here since his close friends are dining their hearty lunch at the cafeteria—Suzy, Seulgi, Yura and Sehun. And I also knew he would notice me—only if he still remembers me—since I’m sitting at the counter in the front.

He comes to the counter, looking dashing with the lingering smile on his lips. I feel a jolt of nervousness lingering in the pit of my stomach, but I try to act cool.

Without greeting me beforehand, he says, “Never knew you were working here.”

“I’m just doing a senior a favor,” I say, glancing at him and the cash machine back and forth. I don’t want him to think that I’m staring at him; I ought to act nonchalant. “She’s, uhm, going out on a lunch with someone.”

“That’s why I don’t think I’ve ever seen you sitting at the cashier counter,” he replies, nodding at once.

“Why don’t you buy anything?” I change the subject. “It is lunchtime right now, isn’t it?”

“My friend, Sehun has already got something for me.” He darts me a wolfish grin, gripping the corner of the bar as he leans against the pillar.

“Oh, really?” I bite my lip, having no idea of what to respond. I really wish he would just vanish right away or someone please just come to counter for payment. Not that I hate talking to him or to be seen with him, but I just cannot help feeling embarrassed.  

“You know.” I remember he still hasn’t explained to me how he knew I was a TESL student. “You haven’t told me how you knew I was a TESL student.”

“Is that important?” He lets out a laugh, but when I give him a serious look, he stops laughing. He coughs and straighten his posture. “I’m sorry,” says Kai. “I’ll let you know later, okay?”

I frown at him. Does this mean he actually wants us to meet again next time?

My ears catch the voice of the blond calling Kai’s name. She may be wondering why her friend is away for too long.

“Hey, your girlfriend is calling you.”

Kai jerks his head up. “What girlfriend?” He turns around as he realizes someone is calling him. He motions a hand gesture towards his clique’s table and swivels back at me.

He looks at me in amusement, a smile on his lips. “You mean, Suzy?”

“Yes,” I say, deadpan. “She’s your girlfriend, isn’t she?”

“What nonsense are you talking about?” says the latter, bursting into big laughter. “We’re just close friends. She’s already had a boyfriend.”

“Oh, I see. I thought she was your girlfriend because you are, uhm, always being rather touchy with her,” I say.

“Does that mean you’ve been watching me for all this time?”

I cough in surprise and as if on cue, heat rises into my cheeks. “What are you talking about? Why would I have been watching you?”

He doesn’t stop laughing.

“You know,” I say, crumpling my fingers into a fist. “You should really be going now. Your friends are waiting for you and I don’t want to be seen slacking off by the manager.”

“Okay, okay. I get it,” answers Kai candidly. “I’ll get going, but before that, can I at least know your name?”

“Why would you be interested in knowing my name?” My heart skips a beat. I am taken aback and upon his request, I agree that he never addresses me properly—because he has no idea what my name is.

“Just because…” His smile broadens, his pair of eyes shimmering expectantly. “I was just wondering. Yeah, that’s it. You’re going to tell your name, aren’t you?”

“Jung Soojung,” I say at once.

“Kim Jongin, by the way,” he tells me, though I’ve already known his. “Just call me Kai. That sounds more—”

“Masculine?” I bring Jinri’s words to mind. She detested his nickname saying as if it sounded very masculine and pleasing to the ear.

“Well, you can pretty much say that.” He laughs a little and scratches the back of his neck bashfully. “Anyway, I’m looking forward to meeting you again, Soojung.”

“Me too,” I say silently, unsure whether or not he catches it. I watch him walking to the table and his clique greets him welcomingly. They must be pretty close with each other that they don’t mind being too comfortable and touchy at the same time.

///

“Soojung?” The door cracks open and my older sister, Sooyeon unnie appears through it. “What are you doing?”

“Oh, unnie.” I put the laptop on the mattress and unplugs the earphones from my ears. “I’m doing an assignment while listening to some music. What’s the matter?”

She saunters towards the bed. “Nothing. It’s just your friend’s here.”

“My friend’s here?” My eyes narrow.

“Jinri,” answers Sooyeon unnie. “She’s downstairs in the living room. You should go after her quickly, Soojung. She looks rather depressed.”

“Depressed?” Without wasting any time, I jump out of the bed and immediately make my way to the door.

///

Jinri and I settle in the playground across my house. It seems like she’s got something to tell me since we’re outside. If it had been something trivial, she would not have bothered coming all the way here.

“What’s the matter, Jinri?” I start after Jinri return from the ice cream parlor. She’s handing me a cup of vanilla ice cream. “Is there anything wrong?”

She emits a long sigh before she scoops a spoonful of chocolate ice cream into , and then she starts talking. “I do,” she says ruefully. “I can’t keep this to myself so that’s why I came to you. I want to hear your thought on what I’m going to tell you.”

I raise an eyebrow at her, biting the plastic spoon eagerly. “What is it about?”

“Do you know Taemin sunbae-nim?”

“Of course I do.” I nod. “He’s the president of the dancing club, isn’t he? What’s up with him?”

“I me

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter