The Monster Inside

Let Me In

Taecyeon was smiling to himself the whole day. He had finally finished his first assignment and had submitted it in. He could go home early today and was thinking of taking Nichkhun out tonight, hoping that Chansung would let him since all they did was hanging out at the courtyard. There was a mini carnival in town that had opened yesterday. The place would be perfect for their little date. His lips curved into a small smile at the silly thought.

We’re just friends… just friends. He reminded himself.

Nichkhun was at the courtyard reading his book. As soon as he sensed Taecyeon’s presence he put the book down and smiled at him. He was always happy to see him. “You’re home early.”

Taecyeon smiled. “Hey uh, there’s this carnival in town so do you wanna come with me?” Hope is evident in his voice as he looked at Nichkhun.

Nichkhun never had been to a carnival before and thought that this will be the perfect opportunity. Chansung wasn’t home after all and had always comes home late so with a big smile, Nichkhun nodded in excitement.

                                                            ****

Taecyeon could not helped but looked at Nichkhun ever so often because he looked so adorable with that red beanie and red wine scarf covering half of his face and that. Nichkhun noticed and smiled in returned.

Once they had arrived, those beautiful brown orbs were in awe at everything its see. Taecyeon stopped at a ring – toss booth in hope that he could win his friend something. Standing by his side, Nichkhun only smiled as he stared at Taecyeon who was trying his best at the classic game – those laughers, those smiles… such a cheerful man.

“It’s okay Taecyeon we could try another game.” Nichkhun gave him a pat on the back and smiled after seeing those lips curved into a cute pout. It was his first time seeing the latter being cute and he liked it.

While Taecyeon was buying himself a hot dog, Nichkhun waited beside him and as his eyes were roaming about the booth next to them, it landed on something – a green cat stuffed toy that was for sale. He kept staring at it and Taecyeon noticed it. Following the latter’s gaze; he smiled to himself and went over to get the weird looking cat for his dear friend.

“You don’t really have to.” Nichkhun said as he shyly took the stuffed toy.

Taecyeon took a bite of his chilli hot dog as they started walking. “You keep staring at it. Couldn’t help it.”

This was his second gift from Taecyeon and that made him so happy that his cheeks hurt from smiling. Hugging the cat closed, Nichkhun turned to look at Taecyeon and the food he was holding. He was always curious as to what food and water tasted like.

“Want a bite?”

He shook his head.

“But its good.”

He shook his head again.

Nichkhun didn’t mean to disappoint Taecyeon but he had to reject the offer. But then seeing how disappointed he was, Nichkhun stole a bite which put a smile on the other’s face. Smiling along, Nichkhun chewed the food and after swallowing it he immediately felt sick that he ran over to the nearest thrash bin and vomited.

“Are you alright?” Taecyeon was obviously worried at the sudden illness.  “Wanna go to the hospital?”

“I’m alright.”

“Are you sure?”

“Yeah.”

“I think we should go home.”

Seeing that the hot dog made Nichkhun sick, Taecyeon didn’t finish it and threw it away, afraid that it might give him more than just vomiting. Although he was perfectly fine when he ate it minutes ago. Perhaps Nichkhun wasn’t feeling well in the beginning. He reassured himself as he had his arm draped over Nichkhun’s shoulder, holding him closed.

                                                                        ***

 Chansung wasn’t happy that Nichkhun had gone out without his permission. Since he was exhausted from taking care of some business that involved finding and chasing a drug dealer for some thug leader, Chansung didn’t bother to say anything. He only shot Nichkhun a look filled with anger and disappointment. He rolled his eyes when his gaze fell on the green cat and resumed watching a thriller movie on the tv.

The situation was awkward due to the silence but Nichkhun was sort of glad that Chansung had remained quiet. He was tired of his nagging after all. Closing the door of his room, Nichkhun set his gift down on the mattress and undressed.  Once he was in lighter clothing, he carefully lifted his window up and hopped over Taecyeon’s window’s sill. He could see Taecyeon was folding his clothes while watching a variety show since his curtains were still up. Not wanting to startle him, he gently knocked on the window and called out his name.

“Nic hkhun?” Taecyeon’s eyes went wide and quickly went to let his friend in. “What are you doing? You could’ve fall!” He held Nichkhun’s arm, afraid that he might fall.

Nichkhun smiled, “I’m sorry. Chansung was in the living room so yeah… can I come in?”

“Of course.” Taecyeon stepped aside. “Is something wrong?”

“I just wanted to hang out.”

He smiled. “Make yourself at home.”

Nichkhun looked around the neat room while Taecyeon put away his clothes inside a wardrobe.  There were pictures on the wall by the queen sized bed that attracts Nichkhun so he went over to look at them. They were pictures of him with his parents, of when he was a young boy, and of him with his friends.

“Can I get you anything? Tea? Apple juice?”

“It’s okay.”

“Are you sure?”

Nichkhun turned to him and nodded.

Taecyeon went over to his bed after that to lie down. “So is he mad at you?” He got a feeling that he was mad but he wanted to make sure.

“He is even though he didn’t say anything.”

“I’m sorry, Nichkhun.” Taecyeon apologized as he sat up.

Taking a seat on the bed, Nichkhun shook his head lightly. “It’s alright. I had fun. Thank you.” He smiled.

Soon, the two were chatting happily as they lay side by side– from funny experiences to favorite movies and when Taecyeon talked about his family, Nichkhun listened attentively and had his eyes fixed on him.  

“They live in Busan and I always visit them during holidays.” Taecyeon turned to send Nichkhun a smile which he replied with a smile in return.

Taeyceon then talked about his parents’ profession. His father was an architect while his mother owned a beauty shop and even though he was an only child, they had never spoiled him. “They’re strict yet fun to be around with. I can’t wait to see them.” He yawned. “I missed them.” He added as he slowly drifted off to sleep.

Nichkhun stayed for a while, watching him sleep and listening to his heartbeat, hoping that they could hang out again tomorrow. Whispering a goodnight, Nichkhun went for the window and glanced at the sleeping man with a content smile before leaving.

                                                            ***

The next day, Chansung went out early in the morning as usual. Honestly Nichkhun had no single clue as to what it was that the man was doing for a living. He didn’t want to tell him but Nichkhun had a feeling that it was something dangerous.

Taecyeon was knocking gently on the door of his friend’s apartment. When there was no answer, he went for the doorbell. Since there was still no answer he figured that Nichkhun might still be sleeping and that he shouldnt be disturbing him so he went back to his place.

 He’d usually stay at home when he had no class, spending his day watching tv or playing video games. After doing a bit of cleaning and having lunch, he flopped down on the couch, making himself comfortable as he flipped through the channel – a documentary about pandas caught his attention but he dozed off halfway through the documentary.

It was 8 p.m. when he woke up. He proceeded to make a chicken sandwich for dinner after washing up and as he was preparing the ingredients, the doorbell rang. He went over to get it and was happy to see who it was.

“Can I come in?”

“Yeah.” Taecyeon smiled and tidied up the living room.

Nichkhun was still outside however, pressing his lips together as he said. “Can you say come in instead?”

That made Taecyeon slightly confused but he said it nonetheless. “Come in (?)”

Nichkhun stepped inside and closed the door behind him. Not wanting the other to be suspicious he tried to come up with an excuse. “It’s a weird habit of mine. Hope you don’t mind.”

Taecyeon believed him. Personally, he found Nichkhun sort of weird so it makes sense. He figured that it was because he didn’t have any friends and Chansung wasn’t always around.

Nichkhun eyed Taecyeon who was busy preparing something in the kitchen. Curious, he went over and stood beside him. “What are you making?”

“A chicken sandwich.”

Nodding his head, Nichkhun watched silently as Taecyeon was slicing an onion and a lettuce. He saw a sandwich before but never seen how it was made.

The sound of Taecyeon hissing what seemed to be in pain, made Nichkhun turned his attention to him. Before he could ask what was wrong, there was that familiar scent.

“Hey can you get the first aid kit from the drawer?” Taecyeon asked as he put his bleeding finger under running water.

 Nichkhun took a step backward and clenched his fists as he tried to fight off his hunger. But before he knew it, his eyes had turned bloodshot and his fangs grew.

“Ni-Nichkhun?” Taecyeon called out, his voice trembled.

Nichkhun let out a soft growl before jumping out of the window. Taecyeon poke his head out of the window, his eyes wildly searching for his friend in fear and worry. What was that? What happened to him? 

When he found him he was on top of a tree, stalking what an old woman. Taecyeon had a bad feeling that something bad was going to happen so he went after him. It was too late however. When he arrived Nichkhun was already feasting on the poor old woman. He wanted to know if the thing was really Nichkhun so he approached him and stood a few meters away, frozen in place and horrified by the sight before him.

It took Nichkhun a moment to revert back to normal. He realized what he had done. Tears of guilt trickled down his cheeks as he turned around to face Taecyeon. Horror was evident in his eyes. This was the moment that he was afraid of – to have Taecyeon found out about his true self and the thought of him leaving was dreadful.

“Taec…”

Nichkhun took a step forward, waiting for a response. But when he didn’t get any, he consciously grabbed Taecyeon’s face and pressed their lips in a brief kiss before pulling away, in hope that he wouldn’t leave him or afraid of him.

The strong taste of blood broke Taecyeo's frozen state. He looked at Nichkhun for a brief moment, slowly backing away before running back inside.

He shouldn’t have gone over to his place. Now he wouldn’t want to see him anymore. His one and only friend had left and it was his entire fault. Nichkhun slumped against a tree and whispered. “I’m sorry,” as he stared at the dead woman.

Luckily for him and Chansung, before anyone could see the mess, Chansung had arrived just in time. “Go inside, I’ll take care of it.” He comfortingly patted Nichkhun’s shoulder. He tried to remain calm when deep inside, he was panicking.

“I didn’t mean it.”

“I know.”

Seeing that Chansung needed to clean up the mess, Nichkhun went inside. He wanted to talk to Taecyeon but now wasn’t the right time. He needed to know if Taecyeon didn’t want to talk to him or have anything to do with him anymore. Sighing softly, Nichkhun went inside their apartment and locked himself in his room.