A friend

Let Me In

The snow felt soft and cold in Nichkhun’s bare hands. A gentle voice called out to him, with a hand covered in a black leather glove resting on his shoulder, ushering him to get inside.  The emitting warmth brought a small smile on Nichkhun’s face, a smile that he hardly gave the other.

“I don’t wanna go inside yet, Chansung.”

“It’s freezing out here.” Chansung looked around to ensure that no one was around to see them because he didn’t want people to give them questioning looks since Nichkhun was only in a pair of slacks and a t-shirt. Most of all, he didn’t want to raise people’s suspicion. They had just moved here and they couldn’t afford to move to another place.

Since Nichkhun didn’t bother to listen to him, he slipped out of his jacket and draped it over the latter’s body. “Don’t stay out too late.”

After Chansung disappeared into their apartment, Nichkhun started to build a couple of mini snowmen like how he and Chansung used to when they were little. He didn’t have much memory of his childhood because he spent most of his time alone in a small house in the woods while Chansung went to school and his father went to work. He slept during the day so he only got a little time to spend with them at night. The loneliness was bearable but not the emptiness. When it was Chansung’s turned to look after him, he hoped that he would filled him with his presence, made the emptiness go away but unfortunately, the hole grew bigger.

“Aren’t you cold?”

Too engrossed with his snowmen, Nichkhun didn’t realize that a man was standing right beside him with concerns on his face. Looking up, it was the man from the other night.

“I’m fine.” Nichkhun smiled as he pushed his hands in his pants pockets, didn’t mind if the latter started to ask him questions, which he did.

“How can you withstand the weather? It’s damn freezing.” He asked after scanning his attire carefully with the jacket still draped over his shoulders, revealing his pale arms.

“I don’t know.” He simply answered. “I’m just used to it. “

“That’s weird.” The man said with a nod of his head. “Anyways, I’m Taecyeon.” He extended his hand to the other while introducing himself.

Nichkhun looked at the friendly hand reaching out to him and with a smile on his face; he took the hand, shaking it slightly. “Nichkhun.”

***

That night, Nichkhun found himself a friend. A friend that gradually filled the emptiness, that made him smile and laugh more. Chansung knew about this and he didn’t like it. He never liked anyone who wanted to be closed to Nichkhun in fact. He didn’t want to take the risk of them finding out about their secret, about what Nichkhun was.

“What’s that?” Nichkhun had his eyes on a big thick book that Taecyeon had in his hand as he walked over to him. They were at the courtyard as usual, sitting side by side on the wooden bench. Nichkhun was in his normal clothing but with a jacket on and it was because Taecyeon asked him to. He didn’t want people to give him strange looks.

Nichkhun’s resistance to cold was still a mystery to Taecyeon but he never bothered to ask him again. He thought that the other would tell him when the time has come. For now, he wanted to enjoy his companion.

“A bedtime story book. I know it’s kinda childish but its fun.” Taecyeon said while handing him the book. The hard cover was light purple in color with the title beautifully written in bold black, Algerian font and at the back was a picture of a small golden castle.  A smile spread across Nichkhun’s face as he smoothed his palm over the cover.

“It’s a collection of fairytale stories. Hope you like it.”

Nichkhun turned to look at Taecyeon. “What do you mean?”

“It’s a gift.” He smiled.

That huge smile upon hearing his answer, somehow warm his heart. There was something about this cute, mysterious man that made him wanted to be close to him. Yes, Taecyeon found his new friend cute that he couldn’t seems to take his eyes off him and now he found himself staring at him as he was happily flipping through the book.

“So Nichkhun.” He called, “How old are you?” He had wanted to ask this question yet he always seemed to forget.

Closing the book, the other stared into space as if he was thinking. “I don’t know.”

Taecyeon frowned, completely confused at his reply. “Well, when is your birthday?”

Nichkhun answered shortly with a light shrug.

“You don’t know your age and your birthday… why?”

“No one ever told me.”

Taecyeon felt sorry for him. Not wanting to press on the matter more, he smiled. “Do you wanna share birthday with me then?”

The other didn’t think twice as he nodded in agreement. He never saw Chansung celebrating his birthday so he was quite excited because this birthday thing sounds fun.

Seemed that it was already late, both of them went up to their apartments. After Taecyeon bid him goodbye and disappeared into his apartment, Nichkhun opened the door to his and was greeted by Chansung’s presence by the couch. He seemed to be waiting for him, as usual.

“Its in the kitchen.” He said as his eyes moved from the tv to the other. His gaze lingered on Nichkhun’s face before it landed on the book held in his left hand.

Chansung didn’t need to ask where he got it from and Nichkhun didn’t bother to tell. He went into the kitchen and set the book down on the dining table as he seated himself. Before him was a bowl of crimson red liquid. The smell turned Nichkhun’s eyes bloodshot and his canines into fangs. Greedily yet carefully, he drank the thick liquid with soft growled. It was one of his favorite shirts so staining it would made it hard for him or Chansung to clean it thus, the only option was to throw it away.

A gentle hand caressing his hair as he fed, tired soft eyes watching him drinking the blood till the last drop, Chansung sighed. “There’s more in the fridge.”

Nichkhun set the bowl down, his eyes turned back to its normal color and his fangs shrunk. “I’m full. Thanks.” He flashed a small smile and grabbed his book.

Before he could even make his way to his room, Chansung held his arm. Those gentle hands cupped his cold cheeks, making him stared into the other’s eyes with slight confusion. Chansung was always curious as to how blood tasted like so he leaned forward and pressed his warm lips against those cold, blood tainted ones. The taste of metal filled Chansung’s mouth. It wasn’t good but it wasn’t that bad either. Wanting to taste more, he invaded Nichkhun’s cavern with his tongue. Nichkhun on the other hand, didn’t push or pulled away. He just stood there, frozen as he let Chansung stole his first kiss. Their lips surprisingly moved in sync. The softness of Chansung’s lips moving against his and the warmth of his tongue gliding over his cold ones made him felt funny in a weird way.

When Chansung pulled away, he rested his forehead against Nickhun’s with his eyes still closed. They stayed like that for a brief moment and as he opened his eyes, a pair of huge brown orbs was staring back at him and that brought a smile on his face. He loved those eyes. Confusion was evident on the latter’s face but he didn’t bother to explain to him about his sudden action. With a kiss on the forehead, Chansung turned around and disappeared into his room.

***

After Nichkhun fell asleep, Chansung went out to work. A voice greeted him as he was locking his door. He knew who it belonged to so he didn’t answered back. He his heels and started for the elevator.

“Where’s Nichkhun?” Taecyeon slung his brown leather messenger bag over his shoulder as he walked besides him. They weren’t close with each other. Chansung didn’t want to. The guy was getting on his nerves when he asked him again when it was obvious that he didn’t want to speak to him.

“I don’t wanna talk to you.” He pressed the down button, not sparing the other even a glance as he got in the elevator. “So shut your mouth.”

Baffled by his rudeness, Taecyeon wanted to say something back but decides to keep his mouth shut as he was told. He wasn’t the type who likes to bicker or fight. As they reached the ground floor, Taecyeon held the elevator while Chansung got out without even thanking him.

“.” He mumbled with a roll of his eyes and went to the bus stop.

It was assignments week so Taecyeon had about three assignments to work on. He stayed at college till eight and went he came home, he saw Nichkhun at the courtyard with the book that he gave him.

“Where have you been?” He asked, closing the book and setting it down on his lap.

The latter settled beside him. “I have assignments so I stayed back to do it.” He replied and looked at him. “So Nichkhun, which college do you go to?” Nichkhun never seemed to want to tell him anything unless when asked. Taecyeon finds it weird at first but then he figured that the latter just wasn’t much of a talker.

Nichkhun was contemplating whether to give him the same answer or no. Perhaps he should come up with something different this time. He didn’t want to bore his friend now with the same typical answer. “I’ve graduated last year. Now I just stay at home.” He smiled.

“I see. You’re not going to find a job?”

“I wanna take a break for maybe a year or two.”

 “Cool. I guess college stressed you out that much huh?” He chuckled.

Nichkhun chuckled along and nodded. He never went to school let alone college. His father was the one who taught him to read and write. Schools were not meant for them. His father always told him that. Initially, Nichkhun didn’t understand but he did once he learnt about himself and his kind. It was upsetting to be honest. He wanted to talk to other people, to make friends. But they had to isolate themselves in the forest. His father was the only one he had and knew till one unfortunate night, where his father made a mistake and died by the warmth ray of sunlight. Left alone to fend off for himself, Nichkhun wandered the forest idly. Two figures of older males in the distant caught his eyes. They seemed to be fighting and as the man held the other one on gunpoint, Nichkhun attacked him without thinking twice. He was famished after all. Seeing that the child had saved his life, the petrified man thanked him and begged that he would spare his life.

“I’m not gonna hurt you.”

The boy’s horrifying features slowly turned back to normal. The little monster before him was only a child. His soft features calmed the man down and upon hearing about his father; the man took him in simply because of sympathy and was in debt for his life. For the first time, Nichkhun had never felt this happy before. But what excited him more was that he got to meet the man’s son – Hwang Chansung. He finally got to meet and communicate with someone else other than his father. He finally had friends… or so he thought.

“Is your brother always like that? You know, like a jerk.”

Nichkhun smiled. “Only to those he dislikes or hate.” Frankly, Chansung dislikes and hate almost everyone who tried to get close to either Nichkhun or him.

Taecyeon frowned at this, obviously confused as to what he had done to make the man disliked or hated him. “Did I do something?”

“He’s just anti social so you don’t have to worry.” Nichkhun gave him a reassuring smile.

“No wonder he looks so glum.”

The other only smiled in return.  

Taecyeon covered his mouth as he yawned. He was tired from all that research and typing. “Let’s go inside. It’s already late.”

Chansung was watching them by the window.  He had been for a while and he didn’t like it. Anger filled his eyes that as soon as Nichkhun came in, he grabbed him by the arm. “I’ve told you not to talk to anyone.” His tone was dark and pissed.

Tired of the repeated argument, Nichkhun didn’t retort like he usually did. Loosening the other’s grip on his arm, he went inside his room and locked the door.