Invitation

When in Seoul

There was a knock at the door. You rolled over and glanced at the clock on your bedside table, squinting from the light that shone through the curtains and silhouetted the row of potted plants on your window sill. It was already 11am. Groaning, you rolled out of bed, pulled on your dressing gown and stumbled through to the front door.

'Delivery!' announced a cheerful man as you poked your head out to see who it could be. He pushed a parcel into your hands and you, still slightly dazed and your eyes foggy with sleep, mumbled a quiet 'thank you' and closed the door again, before making your way back through to the living room.

Rubbing your eyes, you squinted at the parcel to see who it was addressed to. 'LI WEN HAN' read the label. Oh god, the post man had got the wrong address. You were going to have to go next door and face them all again and after yesterday's ordeal, you couldn't think of anything more embarrassing.

'Mia!' you yelled, rushing into her room.

'What is it?' she replied groggily, her head still under the duvet covers.

'I need you to do me a really big favor. We've been delivered a parcel that belongs to next door and there's no way I can give it to them so I need you to do it.' You hadn't told Mia about your embarrassing meeting with the new neighbors yesterday, not only because you knew she'd be dissappointed by your pathetic inability to talk to guys, but also because before you had arrived at the coffee shop, Mia's cousin had called announcing her engagement and Mia hadn't stopped going on about it all evening.

'Why can't you do it?' muttered a muffled voice.

'Because they're UNIQ and I just really embarrassed myself in front of them yesterday and there's no way I can go back and talk to them again,' you protested.

'What the are you on about?'

'Not unique as in one of a kind,' you explained frustratedly. 'UNIQ as in the kpop group!'

'What?!' Mia sat bolt upright and looked you straight in the eye. 'You're kidding me.' Seeing the parcel in your hands, she lept out of bed and grabbed it from you. You smirked, enjoying seeing Mia so startled. 'Wenhan? Li Wen Han?? From UNIQ?? Living next door??? Oh my god!' she screamed, jumping up and down.

Suddenly turning serious, Mia threw the parcel on the bed and grabbed your shoulders. 'Wait, what do you mean you embarrassed yourself in front of them? Don't tell me you did your whole 'can't talk to guys' thing again.'

You nodded silently and explained what happened.

'Oh my God, you're blushing. Wenhan was cute, right?' She squealed, already excited at the thought of the meeting the five gorgeous pop stars living next door, before suddenly calming herself and turning back to you. 'Okay, no. I can't go. It has to be you. You have to speak to them again and try and show them that yesterday wasn't the real you and you're actually really cute and chill and great girlfriend material.'

Before you had the chance to argue, Mia was already shovingn you back through to your room and rooting through your wardrobe in search of an outfit for you to wear. 'Hmmm, you need to look stylish yet effortless. I mean, you don't want to overdo it, but then you don't want to go round looking like a slob either. Oh, and make sure you go for the kind of no-makeup makeup look, too. Naturally flawless is always best.'

'Alright, alright,' you said, shoving your friend out of the way. 'Just a sweater and jeans will be fine.' You reached into the wardrobe and pulled out your favourite gray jumper with a dinosaur eating a donut on the front.

Mia glanced at the sweater disapprovingly before leaving the room to let you get dressed. You got ready quickly and came back through to find her standing ready to hand you the parcel. Muttering words of wisdom and advice, she chaperoned you through to the door.

'Okay, you can do this. They may be gorgeous but remember they're just normal people so don't go all weird around them. Good luck!' Mia smiled at you comfortingly one last time before slowly closing the door on you.

Out in the corridor you suddenly felt so isolated and exposed; there was no going back now and this panicked you. Come on, snap out of it, you thought to yourself. Mia's right, they are just people. There's no need to overreact like this. You cautiously pressed the doorbell.

After waiting a few seconds, the door was opened by who you recognised to be Sungjoo. After you had realised who Wenhan was, it was suddenly easy to distinguish all other members in person. 'Hi, can I help you?' he said, grinning.

Quickly tearing your attention away from his dazzling white smile, you hastily gathered togther all the courage you could muster and replied; 'Oh hi, I'm new next door. I-I just moved in with my friend Mia and... errr this umm... parcel was delivered to us by mistake. I think it's yours.'

'Thanks,' he said, still smiling. 'One moment.' Sungjoo turned away from the door and called into the apartment. 'Wenhan, your parcel's here!'

You suddenly felt your heart skip a beat or ten as Wenhan appeared at the door in gray sweatpants and a thin white tank top. He rubbed his wet hair with a towel in one hand, his biceps glinting from the condensation in the steamy bathroom. 'Oh hey,' he said casually. 'How's it going?'

'Fine thanks,' you said as you desperately tried to hold eye contact in order to avoid your eyes sliding down to his perfect abs that where clearly outlined by the thin material of his top. You smiled and exhaled deeply, trying to prevent your cheeks from flushing red just like during last night's humiliating encounter.

'Cute sweater, by the way. I like it,' he said as you handed him the parcel and the other members appeared behind him. You giggled shyly. 'Actually, we're not working today and were thinking of maybe getting a takeout and watching a movie tonight and I was wondering if you wanted to come round and join us? I mean, after having just moved to a big city and not really knowing anyone, I'm guessing you're not going to be having a huge housewarming party but maybe this could count instead. How does 7pm sound to you?'

'Oh and bring your friend, too,' piped up Yixuan from the background. 'There's plenty of room for everyone!'

You stood there in shock. Had you seriously just been invited round to have dinner with UNIQ? Maybe Wenhan didn't think you were a complete idiot after all! Desperately supressing the urge to scream, you just shrugged your shoulders and said; 'Yeah, that sounds great thanks. I'll see you all at 7 then!'

'Cool, see you later,' he replied before closing the door. You raced back to your apartment and burst inside to find Mia eagerly waiting, buttered toast in hand, to find out how it went.

'How was it? How was it?' she asked, doing her signature excited hop.

'Well,' you babbled frantically. 'I went round and Sungjoo answered and then Wenhan came through to get his parcel and basically to cut a long story short we've been invited round there tonight to get a takeout and watch movies with them!'

'Oh my god,' she squealed, hugging you tightly. 'You did it! This is so exciting! We need to start getting you ready now; this is not an opportunity to be missed. I think Wenhan likes you, I think he really does!'