Neighbors

When in Seoul

'That's it,' you said triumphantly as stood up and dusted off your hands.

'Oh my God, I thought we'd never finish,' said Mia as she walked into the room behind you and cast her eyes over the empty packing boxes scattered all over the living room floor. 'You know what? This apartment isn't bad at all; I was expecting something much older and more run-down than this,' she continued. 'The furniture that came with it actually quite nice too, apart from the sofa is kind of...'

'...Interesting,' you said, finishing her sentence as you stared, bemused, at the somewhat unusual floral print on the sofa covers. Brown and mustard yellow was not a colour combination you saw very often and from the pattern on the material, it was obvious why.

'Anyway, let's go out and get something to drink. I saw a coffee shop just round the corner earlier so how about we go check it out? Who knows, maybe we'll even find you a cute guy,' Mia giggled, elbowing you in the ribs.

'Oh go away,' you replied jokingly and pushed her off. 'It's only the first day. Just because I'm in Korea, doesn't mean I've suddenly become some guy magnet who has to fend off swarms of men every time I step out the door!'

Mia's boyfriend, Zach, was back at home and despite his suggestion that they ended it because she had to go away for a year, Mia had insisted they stayed to together and she'd be able to handle them being apart for so long. She adored him more that anything though unfortunately she couldn't see that he didn't feel the same way about her. You knew that he wanted to break up with her for his own sake; he didn't care about Mia. Zach was always flirting with other girls the moment Mia left the room and you knew there was gonna be trouble while she was away. You had never trusted him from the start and wished Mia would find someone else, but yet every time she mentioned him her eyes lit up and she would start to do this huge smile that would only ever appear when she was talking about Zach or there was pizza in the room and you could never bring yourself to tell her to break up with him.

'Come onnn, we're only here a year!' Mia said, fidgeting by the door as you slowly tied your shoelaces.

'Listen, I'll meet you there. I've gotta call my parents just to let them know we're all unpacked, I promised would.'

'Sure, whatever.' She shrugged her shoulders. 'You know where it is, right?'

'Right,' you replied grinning. 'I'm sure I'll work it out.'

'Call me if you get swarmed by too many guys!' she called as she slowly closed the door behind her.

You smiled and shook your head. You'd only been friends for three years but it felt like a lifetime. Her stupid sense of humour and bubbly personality seemed to make everyone warm to her instantly and you often wondered why she'd chosen you to be her best friend out of the seemingly infinite number of candidates and wonder even more so why she couldn't find a better boyfriend than Zach.

After a short phone call to your parents, you grabbed your coat and headed out the door. Suddenly, as you were locking up, the apartment door next to yours burst open, making you jump. Four guys, all of which seemed to be about your age, suddenly rushed out and started running down the corridor, one of them crashing in to you as he sped past. 'Sorry!' he yelled, without even looking back.

Idiots, you thought to yourself as you slid the key back into your pocket.

'I'm so sorry, are you okay?' came a concerned voice behind you.

You span round, startled to find a guy of about 5 foot 9 in a black leather jacket staring at you with a worried expression on his face. You gulped, feeling your cheeks turning red. You were sure you recognised him from somewhere. This is why I'm no good with guys, you thought, panicking. This is why I can't even get a boyfriend! 'Oh no, I'm fine,' you stammered. 'I-it was nothing, honestly.'

'Oh phew,' he smiled. 'I was worried they might have hurt you!' He put his hand on your shoulder, making your heart thud even faster. It seemed so loud now you were sure he could hear it. 'They're nice, I promise. They just get a little over excited sometimes. But hoenstly, they would never mean to hurt you.'

You tried to laugh a little and act like you were cool with it, though the attempt was unsuccessful and it resulted in a squeak that sounded more like you were trying not to cry than anything. Suddenly seeming a little shy, he quickly removed his hand from your shoulder and shoved it into his jacket pocket. 'I'm Li Wen Han by the way. But you can just call me Wenhan. You're new here, right?'

Wenhan? That was it! You knew you recognised him from somewhere. He was one of the members of the new kpop boy group, UNIQ, and he was living next door??? 'Oh, errrr, me? Yes, I am. Nice to meet you. Anway I should really go, bye.' You quickly turned and rushed down the corridor, in complete shock and not wanting to embarrass yourself any more. You just made a fool of yourself in front of a guy once again, although this time it wasn't any guy, it was a freaking kpop idol. What would Mia have to say about this? She'd probably tell you to stop ruining your chances before they even arise. You couldn't help it, though. You couldn't help turning into some dumb with the IQ of a potato every time there was a cute guy around.

He was gorgeous, though, you thought to yourself as you stepped out onto the street, but then quickly brushed off the idea. Surely you couldn't be falling for him already?