Drag Racer

Two Melodies

 

 

Overall, the ice cream date was okay. I say just okay, because we didn’t really talk about the things I had in mind. I had a lot of things to tell him about what happened three years before, but I had been a coward for talking about it with him. At least I was able to say sorry for hurting him.

I knew he was still hurting. I could see that when he had looked at me as I finished my ice cream. His ice cream bowl was pushed aside as he played with the table napkin, spreading it on the table top and patting it with his palms.

He had looked like he wanted to tell me something, but decided not to. I didn’t ask him, though. I had bowed my head and focused on finishing my ice cream.

Chanyeol called one more time, asking me if I knew where Sehun was. Of course I didn’t know. He didn’t tell me where he was going after his school stuff. All I knew was that he had a group study thing, but I didn’t know where they were. I told Chanyeol to call Sehun, but he just said that he couldn’t reach the other’s phone. Kai was still in school, practicing with the dance team.

Chanyeol and Chen would be going back to Japan the next day. They’d be there for the rest of the semester again. I didn’t know if they’d be allowed to come back home during the break, but I wished they would be. Tao and Kyungie would be on their way to LA by now, too.

I probably was spacing out too long, because Jungkook cleared his throat and drummed his fingers on the table. He had pushed the table napkin aside.

I slowly looked at him and he raised an eyebrow at me.

Go away.

I didn’t mean that.

 

Me: Hmm?

JK: You look sleepy.

Me: Huh?

JK: Yeah.

Me: I was just thinking.

JK: Of?

Me: Of my brothers.

JK: Oh.

Me: Why?

JK: Nothing.

Me: Do you miss your hyungs?

JK: Uh…

Me: They’re in California, right?

JK: Only Jin and Jimin hyung.

Me: Oh, yeah. And Jimin’s just there this time. Ishhh…

JK: Hahaha. Yeah. J hyung decided to stay in Beijing for his university studies.

Me: How about you?

JK: When I graduate from high school?

Me: Yup. Will you go to California?

JK: I don’t know. Maybe.

Me: You have a house there, right?

JK: Ne, appa bought a house when he purchased the vineyard.

Me: Napa Valley is really known for its wine. Your appa invested in a good business.

JK: You think so?

Me: Ne.

JK: We’re supplying the wine stuff for Fusion when it finally opens.

Me: Oh, jinjja?

JK: Ne.

Me: Have you tried drinking wine directly from the cask?

JK: Yes. It tasted bitter for some reason. I don’t know why. Hahah.

Me: Bitter?

JK: Yeah.

Me: Maybe you weren’t supposed to drink it yet?

JK: Maybe. But J hyung urged me to drink some of it. He had asked me to try it first before he drank himself.

Me: Your appa wasn’t there?

JK: Aniyo. We wouldn’t be able to try it if he was there.

 

I could only imagine them stealing through the moment and having a drink of the wine.

 


 

He led me out the ice cream shop after. It was getting dark. I didn’t notice the time when we were inside the shop. I checked my watch.

6:15 PM.

He reached the passenger door first and opened it for me. I halted and looked at him. He shrugged at me. I chuckled. He scratched his head. I walked over to the car and slid in the passenger seat. He closed the door and walked to the driver’s side.

As he slid in the driver’s seat, my phone buzzed once.

1 message received.

It was Chanyeol.

Again.

“Xiao Yi. Have you received any messages or calls from Sehun? I really can’t reach him. I already asked Kai, but he hasn’t heard from him either.”

Before I replied him, I tried calling Sehun. His phone was out of coverage. I tried calling him three times with the same result. I sent a message asking where he was and that Chanyeol was looking for him since an hour ago or so.

Jungkook started the ignition and glanced at me.

Xiao Yi. Buckle up juseyo.”

I hastily grabbed the seatbelt and buckled up, dropping my phone in the process. It fell under the driver’s seat.

I muttered, “Ahhh…pabo…”

I reached my hand down to feel the floor for my phone. I heard the ignition stop and Jungkook’s hand appeared under the seat, too.

I withdrew my hand, but I wasn’t fast enough. His hand had gripped mine, thinking it was what I dropped on the floor. I blushed too hard. I felt my hands got cold and my face heated. He slowly let go of my hand.

 

JK: Oh. Mianhae. I thought…

Me: Uhm…

JK: Your phone, right?

Me: Y-yeah.

 

I bit my lip and sat up straight. I waited for him to find my phone under his seat. I leaned back on the seat. He had sat up straight and reached out a hand to me, my phone in his hand. I took it from him, thanking him. He did that side smile without looking at me. He smoothly turned the ignition back on again.

Thanks.”

“You’re welcome.”

And the car moved forward.

If Sehun was a race-car driver, Jungkook was smooth. He was careful. I noticed him following traffic rules. I smiled to myself.

I could see him looking at the rearview mirror from time to time. And I bet he saw me looking at the rearview mirror from time to time, too.

I fought the urge to giggle when I caught him looking at me from the mirror.

He chuckled, though.

I tried to focus on the road ahead, but his movements from my peripheral sort of distracted me. I could see him drumming his fingers on the steering wheel as he hummed to himself. I wanted to turn my head to see his facial reaction, but I was conscious. He was humming a song that I haven’t heard before. I wanted to ask what the title was.

I leaned back and played with my phone.

 

JK: Aren’t you going to ask where we are going?

Me: Huh?

 

Of all the things I could have forgotten, it was our destination. I risked looking at him and he was holding back a laugh.

 

JK: Aren’t you worried that I might not bring you home?

Me: You won’t do that.

JK: What? Bring you home?

Me: No…I mean… Y-you’d bring me home definitely. Or else…

JK: I’m not afraid of your Chanyeol oppa. Nor Kai. Nor Sehun.

Me: But you know that Luhan and the others would come for you.

JK: Ah….yeah….

Me: Where are we going?

JK: Home, of course.

Me: Oh..okay.

 

And he laughed again. I shot him another questioning look. He grinned at me.

 

JK: Aren’t you going to ask which home I’m bringing you to?

Me: Jungkook…

JK: You haven’t been to our new house, right?

Me: Yeah.

JK: Do you wanna check it out?

Me: Now?

JK: Yeah?

Me: It’s almost seven.

JK: So?

Me: I’m supposed to be home by seven, remember?

JK: Right.

Me: I’m serious, Jungkook.

JK: Oppa.

Me: What?

JK: That’s Jungkook oppa for you.

Me: What?

JK: Say my name one more time.

Me: Jungkook?

JK: Ah…no…no…

 

I rolled my eyes. He looked frustrated. I made a face at him and he huffed.

 

Me: It’s weird.

JK: What’s weird?

Me: Me, calling you…oppa.

JK: Tch.

Me: Why can’t I just call you Kookie?

JK: Haoba.

 

Damn you and your one-liner Chinese.

 

I looked at the street sign. We were near home. My home. So, he wasn’t bringing me to his home. I was disappointed, but I didn’t show it. I leaned my head on the window and watched the streetlights and buildings that we passed by.

Jungkook stopped at a red traffic light, two blocks away from our street.

And I just remembered Sehun.

I quickly took out my phone to check if he had replied my messages.

Nope.

None.

I sighed.

Are you okay?”

I was startled. I didn’t expect Jungkook to talk at that time, but he did.

 

Me: Yes, I’m okay.

JK: Hmm…Once we go green, it’s just two more blocks before we make a left turn to your street, right?

Me: Right.

JK:  I remember your house.

Me: Are you showing off your memory skills?

JK: Hahaha, no. I’m just saying, I know perfectly where I’m supposed to bring you.

Me: Do you know where Sehun is?

JK: Mwoya?

Me: Uh…Did Sehun tell you where he’d be going?

JK: Nope. Why?

 

And the lights turned green. He stepped on the accelerator once more and the car moved forward.

 

Me: He’s not answering his phone. I mean, his phone’s turned off and no text replies.

JK: We don’t have skateboard practice, so I don’t really know where he is.

Me: Kai just told me earlier that he had a group project, but didn’t know where.

JK: Oh. Probably at the café. You know that Lao guy?

Me: Hmm, not personally. But I know his face.

JK: They own a café, right? Maybe they’re there.

Me: Where is it?

JK: That’s somewhere in Haidian, though.

Me: Are you sure?

JK: I’m sure that their café is in Haidian, but I’m not sure if they are there.

Me: Ah. At least that’s a possibility.

 

We were nearing the street where he’d turn left. I didn’t want it to be soon, but I gotta accept the fact that I lived in a different house. I just sighed again. This time, he didn’t ask me. I bet he thought I was thinking about Sehun again. Except, I wasn’t.

Then he made the left turn.

Imagine that he’s bringing you home…to your home…his and your home…to your home where your kids are waiting for you… Stop it, Xiao Yi.

He slowed down as the familiar driveway came into view.

And our kids will meet us outside the door as we park the car inside the house… Shut up, Xiao Yi.

He parked the car right outside the gate.

We’re home! Papa and Mama are home, kids. “Shut up , Xiao Yi.”

 

JK: Are you talking to yourself?

 

Yes. I am.

.

I spoke out loud again.

 

Me: I…was…just… Uh- thanks. For… bringing me home?

JK: Are you sure you’re alright?

Me: Ne *smiles*

JK: Uhm..

 

And he got out of the car. I wanted to ask why he got out and opened my mouth to say something, but closed it again as I saw him walk over to my door and opened it.

The gentleman approach.

I stepped out and saw him opened the backseat door to get my backpack. I stood quietly. He handed me my bag and I took it.

He cleared his throat, preparing to say something.

I waited.

Are you going to ask me for a goodnight kiss?

Shut up.

Or…are you going to ask me something else?

Shut. Up.

“Xiao Yi.”

“Yes?”

“I…uh..”

 

And the gate creaked as it opened automatically. Chanyeol’s tall figure came into view. He was leaning on the gatepost, inside. He eyed the two of us, then fixed his suspicious gaze at Jungkook.

 

JK: So…uh..goodnight.

Me: Thanks, again.

JK: Uhm. I’ll call you?

Me: Sure.

JK: Goodnight. Uhm, bye.

Me: See you tomorrow.

JK: Yeah. See you.

 

Chanyeol cleared his throat and acted as if to check his watch for the time. Jungkook raised a hand in greeting at my Yo oppa. Chanyeol just nodded to acknowledge him. I hurriedly went to stand beside him and watched as Jungkook got in his car. He let his headlights blink three times before he backed up and make the turn to head home. I waved at him as he drove off.

I saw him grinning.

“Who was that?”

Chen had appeared magically behind me. He nudged Chanyeol by the shoulder.

”Jungkook.”

“Who?”

“Jungkook.”

“Oh, Kim?”

“Yeah.”

“What did he want?”

“He brought Xiao Yi home.”

“What?”

“Are you listening?”

“I am. Why’d he have to drive Xiao Yi home? Where’s Sehun?”

“No idea.”

“Why are you out here, anyway?”

“Waiting for Sehun.”

“Oh.”

 

I thought my existence had been forgotten. But Chen suddenly faced me.

 

“ Xiao Yi. Go inside now.”

‘Yes, oppa.”

 

I slowly walked back inside the house. I turned to look at the two by the gate. Chanyeol hasn’t closed the gate yet and was still leaning on the post. Chen was standing right in the walkway, with his arms on his hips.

As I got inside the house, I heard a car slow down outside. I peeked at the window. It was Kai arriving home. Chanyeol had pressed the keys on the number pad so the gate would open wide for Kai’s car.

The silver Cadillac CTS’s headlights suddenly blinded me when it glided smoothly inside the gate to park just outside the house.

I tossed my backpack on the nearest chair and sank on the couch.

I smiled at myself as I daydreamed again.

 


 

 

Sehun didn’t come home until about eleven in the evening. Chanyeol was debating with himself whether he’d call the police or call papa or call Luhan.

As he was the da ge of the family that moment, it was his responsibility to make sure that everyone of us was home safe. It was also his responsibility to know where his dongsaengs were.

Anyway, Sehun was eighteen.

He was of legal age and can do whatever he wants because of that.

However, you just can’t erase the fact that in this family, Tao, Kai, Sehun and I were considered “kids” even up to this time.

I was seventeen, and just one year less legal. But I was treated like I was fifteen or twelve.

I stayed in the sitting room watching TV.

Chanyeol and the other two were in the receiving area.

I understood that they were concerned and worried about Sehun. I was worried, too. But I also thought about other possibilities, like his battery got drained, so we couldn’t reach him on his phone. It was also possible that he purposely turned off his phone while they finished their project, so as not to get distracted.

Three honks from a car outside announced Sehun’s arrival. Chanyeol had ran outside to open the gate. Kai and Chen remained in their seats, probably resigned.

I stood to peek outside the window.

I could see Sehun’s car being parked beside Kai’s outside the house. Then I saw him got out and reached a hand inside to get his backpack. Chanyeol had walked beside him. I saw them talking with each other as they made their way to the front door. I walked over to the receiving area.

The door opened and the two walked in.

Chanyeol’s eyebrows met in the middle. He wasn’t happy about something.

Sehun was biting his lower lip and shaking his head. He pushed Kai to the side and sat on the couch where the latter was earlier.

 

Chen/Kai: Where were you?

Sehun: I lost.

Chen: You were lost?

Kai: I thought I was the one who had a bad sense of direction between the two of us.

Sehun: No. No, I lost.

Chen/Kai: What?

Sehun: Entered a drag race and I lost.

Kai: You what?

Chanyeol: You got us worried. I almost called the police, you know.

Sehun: I’m sorry hyung. But damn. I lost to that .

Chen: Money involved?

Sehun: Yes.

Chen: How much?

Sehun: Three thousand one hundred Yuan.

 

“WHAT????”

 

All of us blurted out the same question.

 

 



 ¥ 3,100 is approximately $500, based on the current stock exchange rates (that’s approximately ₩559,547.50) So, you can just imagine the shock when they heard how much Sehun lost in that drag race. LOL.

Anyway, how’d you like JungYi’s date? xD

My heart’s all fluff after watching BTS’ “For You” MV again and again. They are just so cute. LOL.

But I’m kinda disappointed in SM. After Tao’s rumored leaving EXO, they immediately staged a comeback with “Love Me Right” without Tao. It’s all coming back, you know. The Kris leaving feels. And the Luhan leaving feels. Everytime someone leaves EXO, SM somehow finds a way to erase the existence of the past members.

Anyway, 吴愛你們。我愛你們。♥♥♥