Invitation

Two Melodies

 

 

 

“Kookie oppa, please marry her. I like her.”

 

Aein said the very thing I wanted to say. I looked away. I didn’t want him to catch me blushing at those words. I pretended to be checking my phone.

I heard Namjoon tell Aein to behave. I looked out the window of the car again and saw the little girl ran and hug Namjoon’s leg. He patted his little sister on the head. Jungkook went to say that we’ll be going ahead. Namjoon nodded and thanked him for bringing Halla to him.Namjoon looked at me and grinned. He also thanked me for being patient. I nodded and smiled. I waved goodbye to Aein, she giggled and hid her face behind her big brother. Jungkook waved a hand to Halla before he got back in the car. He looked around at me and started to say something.

 

Him: Aren’t you gonna transfer here?

Me: Nope.

Him: Oh…okay.

 

I didn’t wanna budge from my seat. He made me mad with jealousy with what he did, so I was going to make him pay by letting him be my driver. I quickly glanced at him and smiled sweetly.

 

 

Me: Please drive carefully.

 

I saw him raise an eyebrow and smirked. I did the same and looked out the window.

 

He started the ignition and backed the car carefully. I waved at Aein again as the car moved. The little girl waved back, grinning.

 

I didn’t speak until after two blocks.

 

Me: So…where are you taking me?

Him: Uh…where do you wanna go?

Me: You wanted to talk to me, right?

Him: Yes.

Me: So, where are you taking me?

 

I just repeated my question. I was looking at him straight in the eye through the rearview mirror. He kept glancing back at me.

 

Me: Eyes on the road, mister. You can talk to me without looking at me, you know.

Him: Duibuqi, miss. I just find it improper not to look at the person I am talking to.

Me: …and cause an accident.

Him: I am not looking at you anymore, see?

 

He wasn’t. I chuckled. He smirked.

 

Me: Okay. But you still haven’t answered my question.

Him: Do you drink coffee?

Me: Yeah.

 

He didn’t say anything else. He slowed down in front of a café and parked the car. He got out and opened the door for me. I stepped out of the car and he locked the doors. I waited for him. He hesitated for a moment, then grunted. He walked ahead of me toward the café doors. I followed him inside. Because he was tall, he was able to find empty seats right away. I didn’t wait for him to offer me a seat. I sat down as soon as we reached the empty table.

 

A café attendant came and took our order. I chose a macchiato. He chose the same. I fought the urge to smirk.

 

He drummed his fingers on the table while we waited. I softly tapped the floor with my feet. I waited for him to say something. He was the one who wanted to say something, right?

 

He cleared his throat.

 

I looked at him.

 

Him: I’m sorry.

Me: For?

Him: For this.

Me: What’s this?

Him: I didn’t mean to delay this, but as you saw, I got into an…accident.

Me: Halla.

Him: Yes.

Me: At least nobody got hurt, right?

Him: Yeah…

Me: No need to feel sorry about it. It was an accident.  

Him: But-

Me: It’s okay Jungkook.

 

Our coffee got served. I sipped mine slowly.

 

Then his phone rang. He excused himself and answered the call. It was his appa. There were a few changes for the dinner. The reservation had to be changed, since everyone else will be present.

 

As he spoke with his dad, my phone beeped. I received a message from Sehun.

 

“Mei baobei, there is something you need to know. I’m actually excited.”

 

I sent reply asking what that something was, but he just replied with a smiley face. I made a face at my phone. As if Sehun would see it.

 

Jungkook was watching me.

 

Great.

 

He was done talking to his appa and he saw me making a face at my phone.

 

He snorted.

 

Him: I’m just gonna reconfirm the reservation.

Me: It’s okay, go ahead.

 

He sighed softly, but dialed the hotel’s number on his phone. I sipped my macchiato silently, listening to him reconfirm the reservation, adding the other family members to the dinner list.

 

Family members.

 

My hands went suddenly cold. It shook a little. I put down my cup and snorted. I saw Jungkook glance at me. I ignored him and hummed softly.

 

He finished his call and sipped his macchiato. I was halfway with mine.

 

Me: You said you wanted to talk to me about something before the accident. What was your original concern?

Him: Oh…that.

Me: Yes?

Him: Is Wang Yibo courting you?

Me: Of course, not!

 

I sounded defensive. Too obvious.

 

Gaaaahhh…

 

Him: Ah..

Me: Why?

Him: I just wanted to know.

Me: Why did you want to know?

Him: Because…maybe…you..like him, and…you know, the engagement and…yeah.

Me: Oh.

Him: Do- do you like him?

Me: He’s nice.

Him: So, you like him.

Me: Well, what’s not to like about him?

Him: You do like him.

Me: Yeah. He’s actually better than his cousin.

Him: Ah..Seungyeon?

Me: Yup.

Him: He’s a little annoying. Hahaha.

Me: Yeah, he is. But he’s okay, though. Just annoying.

Him: You like him?

Me: Huh?

 

What’s with him and me liking other boys? I raised an eyebrow at him and stared. He stared back. Clearly, he was waiting for me to answer his question.

 

Me: Why are you asking me this?

Him: I just wanna know. We’re friends, right?

Me: And…?

Him: Friends tell each other secrets.

Me: Are you…?

Him: What?

 

Jealous?

I couldn’t ask him directly. But I really wanted to know.

 

Me: Are you jealous?

Him: Me?

Me: Yeah, you.

Him: Aniyo…

Me: Okay.

Him: So, who do you like better? Yibo or Seungyeon?

Me: Between the two? Hmm…Yibo.

Him: Ahh…

 

He looked hurt.

 

Me: How about you?

Him: What about me?

 

Well…it sounded as if I was asking him if he liked me. And I actually just wanted to know if he liked anyone.

 

Me: Do you…like anyone?

Him: Uh. Maybe.

Me: Oh come on, maybe?

Him: I guess so.

Me: Who is it? Halla?

Him: She’s okay.

Me: So, you like her?

Him: She’s nice.

Me: So, you do like her.

 

I felt a searing pain in my chest.

 

Me: Halla is pretty.

Him: You’re pretty too, don’t be jealous.

Me: Huh?

Him: Uh, yeah.

Me: What?

 

He sipped the last of his macchiato.

 

I rolled my eyes at him. He chose not to answer my question. He checked his watch and huffed.

 

Him: We better go. It’s almost time. We might get stuck in traffic.

Me: Is it already seven?

Him: It’s ten after six.

Me: Let’s hurry up, then. You know how papa is.

Him: Exactly like appa.

 

He quickly asked for the bill and paid it. I followed him outside. He had opened the passenger door for me. I had wanted to sit at the back again, but he got to the car first. I obliged and climbed in the passenger seat. He closed the door and walked around to the driver’s side. He got in and checked the rear and side mirrors before he started the car.

I fixed my eyes in front. Somehow, it had gotten awkward again. I was in the car with him. I couldn’t describe what I felt at that time. Then I remembered Halla. The same pain came searing in my chest again. I subtly clutched my chest and slowly breathed in and out.

 

He helped Halla and went the extra mile because he liked her. Maybe if we weren’t engaged, he’d have a chance with her. I felt like I was getting in the way. He had asked me if I liked Yibo or Seungyeon. Maybe he was already trying to tell me I should divert my attention to either of them, because he already liked someone else. Maybe the engagement will be cut off if both of us decided against it.

 

I hyperventilated.

 

He noticed.

 

He stopped the car and looked at me.

 

Him: Are you okay?

Me: Um…

Him: You don’t look okay.

 

He reached out a hand and pressed his palm on my forehead.

 

Him: You’re…cold.

Me: Mmm…

 

I was disoriented. The feel of his hand on my head made me dizzy. My heart thumped loudly. He reached a hand at the backseat and pulled out something. He draped it over me. I clutched it and realized it was a comforter. He kept a blanket in his car. I giggled.

 

Him: Are you okay now?

 

I just nodded.

 

He sighed and started the ignition again. He felt my forehead again before he stepped on the accelerator.

 

I wasn’t sick. I just had a bad case of jealousy. Ughh.

 

 


 

 

We arrived at the hotel ten minutes to seven. We were glad we weren’t stuck in traffic. I checked my phone as soon as we entered the hotel. Jungkook just stood beside me. He held his phone in his hand, waiting for a text or call from his family.

 

I walked over to an empty couch in the lobby and sat down. He followed and sat beside me. He twiddled his phone between his forefinger and thumb.

 

Then I saw familiar figures walking through the double doors of the entrance. Sehun was the first to step inside. He was pursing his lips as he smoothed his shirt. Kai and Kris came in next. They wore contrasting colors. Kai, wore grey and Kris wore red. Luhan, Xiumin and papa brough the rear. They all wore white shirts. Kris ge saw us first and waved. As the tallest, his strides were long. Sehun was almost as tall as him now and he walked behind Kris ge.

 

I stood up. Jungkook followed suit and stood silently beside me.

 

The oldies reached us and hugged me. Kris ge squeezed me and I pushed him away, annoyed. He just laughed. Papa cleared his throat and Kris stepped aside, still chuckling.

 

Jungkook bowed his head as he greeted papa and the oldies. He bumped fists with Sehun and Kai.

 

Papa: Let’s wait at the restaurant. Jaejoong is on his way with your eomma and brothers, Jungkook.

JK: Ah, kamsahamnida.

 

He bowed a little again. Sehun and Kai were snickering behind me. I shot them an annoyed look and they pretended to be looking at the ceiling. I heard them whistling. Luhan side-eyed them and they stopped. Xiumin and papa were talking about stuff. The Phuket resort, I mean. Kris was on my other side. He was glancing at me and Jungkook every now and then as we walked toward the elevators.

 

I was seventeen, but it seemed like he treated me like I was still thirteen.

 

We reached the elevators. The restaurant was on the tenth floor. It had access to a private roof courtyard. Not all of us could be accommodated in one elevator car. There were several people inside already. Papa gestured to Sehun and Kai to get with him and Xiumin. The two followed without question. Kris, Luhan, Jungkook and I went into the other one.

 

Inside the elevator, Kris stood between me and Jungkook. I rolled my eyes. Jungkook retreated to the back and leaned on the handrail. I stepped back as well and leaned on the handrail. Kris cleared his throat. I ignored him. Luhan was on my other side. He was focused on the position indicator. Kris ge side-eyed both me and Jungkook. I huffed and stared at the ceiling.

 

Kris: No flirting. You two are not married yet, you know.

 

“Gege!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

 

I wanted to stomp on his foot badly, but there were other people in the elevator with us.

 

 

I saw Jungkook stifle a laugh. I made a face at him. He snorted. Kris grunted and stepped back to lean on the handrail as well. I punched him on the side.

 

Kris: Act like a lady, Xiao Yi.

Me: Make me.

Luhan: Shhh..

Kris: You heard Mulan, shhh. Hahahah.

 

Luhan reached out a hand and flicked Kris’s head.

 

Kris: Ouch. You hit like a man, Mulan.

Luhan: You’re too girly, Li Shang.

Kris: I suddenly miss Snow White.

Luhan: Me too.

Kris: Doctor Snow White. Hahaha. Sounds good, actually.

Luhan: Maybe we should stop calling him that, he might not heal us if we get sick.

 

 

Both of them snorted.

 

We reached the intended floor and the elevator doors opened. Luhan stepped out first. Kris took my hand and prodded me forward. He walked behind me. Jungkook brought the rear.

 

I stopped as soon as I got out the elevator. I waited for Jungkook and walked beside him. Yes, my heart hurt with the thought that he liked Halla, but I should stand my ground. If I wanted him, I should stand by the engagement.

 

Even if it hurt.

 

He was silent as we walked toward the restaurant. He was probably thinking the same thing as me. Well, not that he wanted me, but thinking about our situation. Maybe he was thinking how he can end the engagement without hurting me.

 

Wait. Does he even know I like him? I mean, like him as in really like him?

 

I almost walked into the door. I wasn’t looking where I was going.

 

Jungkook’s hand had pulled me away from the door. I stumbled into his chest.

 

Me: Oops!

Him: Watch where you’re going.

Kris: Watch your hands, Kim Jungkook.

 

I pushed Kris toward the door.

 

Grrrr…

 

 


 

 

We were all seated around a long table. Papa sat on one end of the table and Mr. Kim sat on the other end. Mrs. Kim was to his right, then Jin, J and Jungkook. On papa’s right was Luhan, Xiumin was on his left. I sat beside Lu ge. Kris ge was on my other side. Sehun and Kai sat beside Xiumin.

 

Dinner was served, and everyone was silent as we ate, except for papa and Mr. Kim’s occasional business talk. Luhan, Xiumin and Kris joined sometimes. I glanced at J and he didn’t show any interest in the business talks. He was focused on his food. Jungkook, Kai, and Sehun were silently devouring their food, too.

 

As dessert was served, papa called everyone’s attention. He looked happy. I was suspicious.

 

Papa: A letter came in the mail late this afternoon. It’s addressed to Mademoiselle Wu Yinzi.

 

He was smiling. He took out a fancy-looking envelope from his dinner coat pocket and handed it to Luhan to pass it to me. I took the envelope and stared at it.

 

Papa: I didn’t open it, of course. But I know what it is.

 

I carefully turned the envelope over and read the inscription.

 

Pour Mademoiselle Wu Yinzi

 

It was in French.

 

Huh?

 

I stared at papa. He gestured for me to open it. He asked for a letter opener and gave it to me. I opened the letter.

 

Everyone at the table looked expectantly at me. I paused for a bit and exhaled. The envelope was opened and I slowly pulled the card inside it.

 

I didn’t speak French, but somehow I could understand the other words printed on the card.

 

Bal des Debutantes…le Samedi 24 November, 2015…a 20  heures 30 precises…dans les salons del’ Hotel de Crillon…10 Place de la Concorde – 75008 Paris…  

 

I gasped. I think I had my mouth open for five minutes. I couldn’t believe it. I was invited to the debutant ball in Paris.

 

Sehun: Well? Are you going to tell us what it says or are you just going to open your mouth all evening?

 

I shut my mouth quickly and grinned. I stood up and went to papa. I hugged him.

 

Me: Papa! Is this real?

Papa: Of course, it’s real. I received a call from the event organizers a week ago and asked me formally that they will be inviting you. You will be inducted and introduced at the ball.

Me: Oh my god! Thank you, thank you papa! I can’t believe it! Oh my god!

Mrs. Kim: Congratulations, Yinzi.

Me: Kamsahamnida.

Mr. Kim: It is a once in a lifetime experience. You will be welcomed greatly.

Papa: Ah, Jaejoong. You know she has to have a cavalier, right?

Mr. Kim: Of course. I am giving my permission to Jungkook.

Papa: Jeongmal kamsahamnida.

Mr. Kim: It’s my pleasure, Ah-Zun.

 

Jungkook looked lost.

 

Of course. He was a guy. It was not his nature to know about dances and balls and such. I suppressed a giggle. I sat back on my chair and read the invitation card again.

 

Le Bal des Débutantes, also known as le Bal or the Crillon Ball, is a fashion event held annually in November. About 20-25 girls aged 16 to 22 are invited. It is a haute couture event where the debutants wear designer gowns. The invited debutantes are usually from famous families, known mostly for arts, politics, business and others. It was also sort of a charity event.

 

As far as I knew, the criteria for the invitation included looks, brains and famous parents. I didn’t know how they heard about me. I didn’t even consider myself looking exceptionally pretty to be invited. I wasn’t really a genius either. But...my parents were famous.

 

Cavalier.

 

Papa mentioned a cavalier. Mr. Kim mentioned Jungkook.

 

Oh. My. God.

 

It means he was going to Paris with me.

 

But he looked clueless.

 

I grinned at him and wiggled my eyebrows. He looked lost. I snorted. Luhan heard me and called my attention. I quickly apologized.

 

Mrs. Kim was explaining to Jungkook (and the rest who were clueless) what the ball was about. Jungkook’s eyes lit up and met mine after he learned that a cavalier meant he was my at the ball. The look in his eyes were piercing. It was as if he was searching my soul. I looked down and pretended to read the invitation again.

 

Mrs. Kim: There’ll be lots of dancing, Jungkook. Mind you be a gentleman and don’t leave Yinzi without a partner.

Jungkook: Uh…

Mrs. Kim: Who will you choose as your designer, Yinzi?

Me: I…I don’t know.

Papa: You still have more than a month. I suggest you choose a designer from our country.

Mrs. Kim: Vera Wang.

Me: Yes. I love her.

Jungkook: Does it mean I have to wear…a…suit?

J: Probably. Unless you want a gown, too? Jin hyung would look-

Jin: Shush, Hoseok.

J: Ahh…yeah….

 

I snorted out loud.

 

“A proper lady does not snort, Yinzi.”

 

I bowed my head so low that I bumped it on the table. Papa called my attention again. I sat up straight. My eyes automatically searched for Jungkook. I saw him smirking.

 

I was reminded of something. He must be dreading the day we would be in Paris together. I let out a sigh and reclined on the chair.

 

“Yinzi! Sit up straight!”

 

I jumped from my seat and bumped my knee on the table.

 

OUCH!

 

Jungkook snorted.

 

 



• Congratulations Xiao Yi! That's a prestigious honor to be invited at the Crillon Ball in Paris. 

• I am sorry for not being able to update in a long time. Too busy. ㅠ.ㅠ

• Xiao Yi thinks Jungkook likes Halla, and Jungkook thinks Xiao Yi likes Yibo. Ahh...these two pabos, really.

• Anyway, as I always say, but this time in French→ ♥♥♥ Je vous aime tous! Wu vous aime tous!

 

 

Let's all pray for the whole world.