Prologue: Past Lifetimes

Voir
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Alright, so this plot bunny has been sitting quiet on my story list for awhile now, and it's come to my attention that this baby needs some loving. I'm still working on the main storyline of this because as some of you may know, I'm still working on my other multi-chaptered fic Breathless. Y'all who aren't subscribed to that can go check it out because I'm probably going to seal that up first before I could give this story my full attention. 

Don't be discouraged though, as I am working on Voir even through weeks and weeks of its dormancy, but it's just not quite ready yet. Trust me, please? :) 

Nevertheless, here is a prologue which contains my take on various other more common soulmate!aus. It's relevant in the history of Kaisoo as soulmates, but not necessarily relevant to the main storyline of Voir. Maybe. We'll see.

Chapter Warnings (tilt to see): Tragedy, Angst, Character death (multiple), MAJOR FEELS EXPLOSION

~~

“Kyungsoo, love, I’m on my way home.” The voice on the other end whispers breathily as soon as Kyungsoo picks up his phone. He hums, inspecting the pasta sauce that has been simmering on the stove for a while, grabbing a spoon to taste it.

“Okay, Jongin. Dinner will be ready soon. I can’t wait to see you.” He replies, smiling softly.

The sauce is a vibrant red-orange, and Kyungsoo admires it for a moment.  The colors are something he just can’t get enough of, having lived 20 long years without perceiving them. Everything’s in grayscale until a person finds their soulmate, and since Jongin came into his life and brought the colors with him, Kyungsoo’s life has been infinitely better.

“I can’t wait to see you too.” Jongin adds. Kyungsoo knows that his husband will appreciate the warm dinner that they will share after a long, tiring day at work. “Soo? Thank you for bringing color into my life.”

Kyungsoo chuckles. “Stop being a sap and hurry home to me, my love. Careful though, you know how dangerous the streets are at this time of night.”

Jongin laughs as well. “Patience, I’m doing my best.”

“Seriously though? Thank you to you too.” Kyungsoo whispers.

“You’re just as sappy as I am.” Jongin responds, and though Kyungsoo can’t see him, he knows that his husband is grinning widely.

“Yeah, yeah. I love you.” He rolls his eyes as he turns off the stove.

“Love y-“

He hears it then: a scuffle, Jongin’s distant voice saying no, harsh laughter, and then a bang.

“Jongin?!” Kyungsoo is met by silence.

He inhales sharply when just like a switch has been turned, his world turns grayscale once again. “No.” he moans, slumping against the kitchen counter. “No!” he blinks furiously, waiting for the colors to return, but the alarming absence cuts like a cold knife.

“Jongin? Jongin, answer me!” he screams into his phone, sinking to the kitchen floor helplessly.

But there is nothing.

-- 

Kyungsoo’s always known that his timer’s set to end on a winter’s day, but he doesn’t expect it to be during the advent of a freaking snowstorm. “I’m not even supposed to be out, but noooo Junmyeon has to send me on an errand before the storm hits because he forgot to stock the ramyun, of all things.” He mumbles under his breath, rolling his eyes.

00:00:02:05

He huffs. He normally wouldn’t believe all the hype about the timers that could accurately predict when one’s supposed to meet their soulmate had he not witnessed the accuracy with his roommate Junmyeon and said roommate’s now fiancé Yixing. So now, two minutes from supposedly meeting his own, Kyungsoo hopes that he doesn’t look half as bad wrapped up in layers and layers of clothing.

He walks faster, half hoping that he’ll meet his soulmate in the safe warmth of the convenience store, but the distance and the quickly counting down device don’t seem to add up.

00:00:01:33

Up ahead in the distance, there is the frenzied din of screeching tires followed by a sickening crunch. Kyungsoo’s eyes widen and he runs along with the surge of the crowd to see what happened. The screeching of the tires starts up again and fades into the distance.

There is a man sprawled out in the middle of the street, and a crimson pool is blooming from beneath his strangely angled body onto the snow.

Hit and run. Someone whispers.

“Someone call an ambulance!” Kyungsoo couldn’t help but shout. He surprises even himself when he runs towards the figure on the ground, as he normally isn’t the type

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter