Chapter 3: Goodnight

Beautiful Sorrow

Haru sat in the middle of her room hugging her knees to her chest. The only light sources were the moon and candles. She got changed into her pyjamas; a white vest and checkered red pyjama bottoms. Tears kept falling down her face like never ending rain. She sniffed and covered her eyes as she sobbed more. She had been crying for 4 hours straight and felt like she was being strangled.

She kept thinking about the terrible memories which left a scar on her forever and ever. Because of these memories she couldn’t stand a man touching her. When Sehun saved her from falling and pulled her towards him, this reminded her of those unforgettable memories. She couldn’t stand a man grabbing any part of her body, even her wrist.

The brown haired young woman ran her fingers down her wrist and closed her grey eyes. She could still see those painful memories with blood running down her wrist and dripping onto the ground like the tears falling down her face. She could still hear the screams and yelling. She could still feel that unbearable pain. But nothing was compared to the indescribable pain within her heart.

She heard a knock on the door but kept looking at the ground.

“Haru-dongsaeng?” The voice sounded like Kai’s voice. “Can I come in?” All he heard was quiet sobbing and opened the door. He closed the door behind him and entered the room. The young man had a tray in his hand and he walked up to her. Kai sat down in next to her and placed the tray next to him.

Haru looked up and turned her head to him. The dark haired man got to see her up close; the first thing he saw and admired where her grey eyes. It was as if he could see into her heart. She stared into his beautiful dark eyes. His felt this strange feeling at the bottom of his heart. But then he realised that she was crying as another tear fell down her cheek. He gulped and felt his heart squeeze.

He got a tissue and wiped her tears gently whilst hushing her. She frowned and sighed. He put the tissue down and gulped.

“Can I…touch you?” He asked and she looked up at him weirdly and he realised that it didn’t sound right. “No, I meant if it’s okay with you. I’m not gonna do anything.” She nodded and Kai placed his hand on her shoulder. “Are you okay? Why are you crying?”

“I know he saved me from falling and breaking my leg but…” She trailed off. “I…I…just…feel uncomfortable with men…I can’t explain….” He shook his head.

“You don’t have to feel uncomfortable with us. We won’t hurt you. Xiumin is like a brother to us.” He stated. “If you want, I’ll help you.”

“You’d…help me?” She asked and he nodded.

“Only under one condition…” He kept wiping the tears off her face and pushed some of her hair behind her ear.  “Stop crying and smile.”

Haru fluttered her eyelashes and took a deep breath. She smiled gently and genuinely as she looked up into his eyes. His cheeks turned hot and he smiled back at her.

“That’s better.” He said and picked up a mug of hot chocolate with whipped cream and marshmallows. “Here, I made this for you. To cheer you up.” She took the mugs and smelled the hot chocolate. She sighed dreamily with a smile.

“Thank you, Kai-oppa.” Haru mumbled.

“Just Kai is fine, Haru- dongsaeng.” He stated and she smirked.

“Then just Haru is fine.” She said and he laughed.

“Aha, okay.” He said and picked up his hot chocolate. They both sipped on their hot chocolate and looked up at each other. They started laughing at each other and realised that they had whipped cream moustaches. Haru found Kai’s laugh so adorable and goofy. They laughed so much that when they stopped, the young woman got hiccups. This made them laugh more.

“Here…” He gave her a piece of chocolate and she ate it. After a moment her hiccups stopped and she looked at him with amazement.

“It worked.” She stated.

“I’m a genius.” He smirked and the young woman crossed her arms.

“I bet you read that off a website or something.” Haru said and he put the empty mug on the tray. He raised his hands in the air in surrender.

“You got me. My mother taught me that trick.” He confessed and she put her empty mug on the tray. The brunette laughed at this. She suddenly shivered from the cold. “You cold?”

“Yeah.” She answered and he got up. The grey eyed young woman furrowed her eyebrows and watched him. Kai took the covers off the bed and walked up to her. He placed the covers on her shoulders and she felt nice and warm. “Thank you.”

“You’re welcome, Haru.” He went to the door and opened it. He took many bags into the room and put it next to her closet. “These are the gifts you got. And here’s mine.” He hid something behind his back and sat in front of her. She closed her eyes and she opened her hands. Kai took her hand and put something on her wrist.

She opened her grey eyes and found a beautiful silver seashell charm bracelet with bells.

“It’s so beautiful.” She murmured whilst blushing.

“That’s not all.” He said and he took out a big teddy bear from behind him. Her eye sparkled and she grinned. He gave it to her and she cuddled it tightly.

“Oh, I love it!” She giggled and he smiled at her. “Thank you, Kai!”

“You’re welcome.” She put the teddy on the floor and hugged him. Kai gulped and his cheeks turned red. He slowly hugged her back. She rested her head on his shoulder and stayed like that. He pulled away from her but her head was still on his shoulder. He turned his head and noticed that she was sleeping.

He smiled to himself and lifted her up. He walked towards the bed and thought to himself how light she was. He put her on the bed and covered her with covers. The dark haired young man sat next to her.

Kai stared at her sleeping peacefully and smiling. He thought how beautiful she was; like Sleeping Beauty. He put the teddy next to her and she cuddled it. He felt her holding his hand and smiled at this. He waited for a while and she let go. He gulped and mustered the courage to kiss her forehead

"Goodnight, Haru..." He stated and left to go to his bedroom.