Chapter 3

Lack of Love

Jongin's POV

 

Earlier, I was late for the meeting with my soon to be wife's family and I had the biggest shock of my life when I saw her and realized that she was the doctor who operated on my nephew and who treated my wounds for free. I was also shocked at how I reacted upon seeing her and I did not even think of my actions before I blurted out what was inside my head. I mentally face palmed myself after the lunch when I realized what have I just done. I indirectly flirted with her when I complimented her and saw her blushing at my remark. I have to say that she is indeed pretty and her achievements are quite promising for her age and I got to admit that I can't help but be grateful to her for treating me and Yoogeun back there. But then I realized that that is her job! I should not be thankful to her. Besides, she's getting paid for it and now that I remembered, I really should pay her because I don't want to feel indebted to her.

 

As I observed her family and how they talked among themselves, I can see that they aren't really that close and some cold and unpleasant vibe is looming around their presence. Her parents doesn't look very pleased with her and they did not even look as enthusiastic as my parents for this marriage thing. She and her sister also looked like they aren't very close and they don't look like they get along very well.

 

Now we are left by ourselves when our parents decided that we needed some alone time to talk to each other. And obviously this is all my mother's idea. I was deep in my thoughts when we are unconsciously led by my foot to our garden. I regretted what I did earlier when I unintentionally initiated something between us and I am cursing inside my head repeatedly. I hope she won't jump to any inappropriate conclusions. Because I am not completely favoring this marriage. Its more like I am forced to do it out of my love and care to my family. I hope she doesn't get her hopes up and get all giddy. I don't plan to work this marriage out. I am sure we'll find a way to end this soon. Its not like I could fall for her and learn to love her. I am already cringing to the thought of it because I already promised myself that I am never going to fall in love ever again especially not to her. I bet she is just some kind of conceited trying to enjoy their richness and status in life while pretending to be innocent, faultless, and altruistic in front of the public's eye.

 

I got another shock when she initiated a conversation and even tried to get friendly with me because I don't think she is that type of person. Right after she finished her statement, my temper shot up and I just lost it and vented out to her. I wanted to let her know how I feel about this marriage and I want to let her know that life isn't always a bed of roses. She might have received all the things in the world given that they are filthy rich but she is not getting anything from me. I made it clear to her that this is all for show and I don't like her meddling with my business. I told her everything that she needs to know and she should have probably get it by now that I am not happy with this marriage thing. I know I may have sounded a little bit harsh back there but she deserves it. She needs to know that this isn't some kind of a fairytale.

 

 

Soojung's POV

 

I went straight to my pent house after the meeting because I am deeply disoriented and exhausted about everything that happened today. I initially planned to go back and spend more time in the hospital but today went a little out of control so I decided to just sleep it off first. It was already dinner time when I woke up and I don't feel eating just yet. My heart felt so heavy and I felt like crying and shouting everything out from my heart. It has been some time since I last felt the urge to talk to someone and vent all my anger and anxieties. However, this feeling is all so familiar to me and I knew just what to do to relieve myself of what I am feeling right now. So I decided to write an entry on my journal.

 

Journal entry number 2000

 

I am so pissed right now. Not just because of that guy Jongin or Kai whatever! I am so pissed of myself for letting my guard down! I should have known better. Just when I thought I could once and for all escape this hell hole, I am faced with a fact that there is an even deeper hell hole out there waiting for me. This life is so screwed and messed up right now. But I am not going to cry. I will show that guy how strong I really am. I am not going to lose to his temper and conceited and screwed thinking. He doesn't even know me enough for him to treat me like that! I mean what right does he have?! The wall and the image I have built should be put to use once and for all. This time, I am not putting my guard down.

 

Life's really hard. I kind of thank him because he has reminded me to wake up from my fantasies. I mean, Jung Soojung, this is your sad reality. I can do nothing about it. Its either I sink or I swim and I choose to swim.

 

How dare he play with my feelings! I know my heart fluttered a bit back there when he complimented me and pulled me in. I can't help but feel dumb and played. This is the last time he is going to step on my feelings. I will certainly not let this pass. Its not like I wanted this marriage to happen. We are both being pushed into this and I don't want him thinking that I think of it otherwise. I just hope that I won't be seeing him in the next few days. I need time to cool down and keep myself sane because I don't know how I am going to react if I see him again tomorrow. There is even a huge chance that I might see him tomorrow because his nephew is my patient.

 

I hope I will be able to compose myself as soon as possible. I know I will get better in no time. This time, I will be ready. My guard will be up again and no one would be able to easily break in.

 

I planned to eat dinner after writing but sleepiness took over immediately after I am finished writing so I just gave in and slept through the night knowing that tomorrow would be another day and I need to earn back all my energy.

 

Author's POV

 

The next day is just a typical day spent in the hospital for Soojung. She basically just took her rounds and did some check ups on some patients in her clinic. She carefully scanned her list of patients whom she hasn't visited yet and a familiar name caught her eye. That kid called Yoogeun, Kai's nephew. Soojung still haven't visited him and checked his condition. She took a deep sigh and prepared herself to go to his room. She just hoped Kai won't be there. She went to the VIP wing and scanned the numbers on each door. When She found Yoogeun's room, she stood at the door, took a deep breathe and started knocking. When she heard no response, she entered the room and to her relief, no one was in there. Yoogeun was in the hospital bed warmly tucked in and soundly sleeping. She went beside the bed and checked for his vital signs and checked the rate of the IV infusion. She knows that these things could already be done by the nurses but she wanted to do these things herself for her patients. She carefully examined Yoogeun's wounds and also checked the sutures from the surgery. After she was done, she glanced up to Yoogeun's face and she can't help but appreciate this kid's cuteness and how  he looked like an angel who is soundly sleeping. She caressed Yoogeun's hair and lovingly looked at him. She envied how children almost always looked at peace having no worries and personal dilemmas unlike herself. She was so engrossed at appreciating the sleeping child that she did not even notice that someone opened the door behind her.

 

"Who are you? What are you doing here?"

 

Soojung suddenly jumped at the voice of a guy. When she turned around, she froze when she found out that the voice belonged to Kai. She cursed inside her head telling herself that she should not have stayed longer. She composed herself quickly and thought of a comeback at Kai.

 

"What do you think I'm doing? I'm Yoogeun's doctor. Can't you see what I'm wearing? Are you blind or you just have lost your mind?"

 

Kai gave her an "are you kidding me look" and replied raising one of his eyebrows,

 

"What? So you're trying to mess with me right now and taking some revenge. I was just asking. I'll never know if you're some kind of a quack doctor and harm my nephew."

 

Soojung is starting to get pissed.

 

'How dare he call me a quack?! For his information, I am the last person who's going to bring harm to my patients!'

 

Before she even lost her mind, she tried to calm herself down again because she doesn't want to lose it especially in front of Kai.

 

 'He's not even worth it.'

 

Soojung went up to where Kai is currently standing. Kai looked like he's trying to read what Soojung's trying to do when he noticed that Soojung is getting dangerously close to him then Soojung pulled Kai's necktie down and pulled Kai's face to her face's level and looked at him straight in the eyes.

 

"How dare you think of me like that? You don't even know me for you to judge me like you did. And please, don't think too highly of yourself because I don't think you are in the position to do so. Your family needs this marriage more than my family does so please watch what you say. For your information, I also don't favor this marriage so please get your head straight and don't you ever think that I think of it otherwise."

 

Kai was taken aback by Soojung's behavior because he completely did not expect that. When Soojung loosened her grip, Kai slowly pulled out of her but suddenly, Soojung pulled him in once again causing his eyes to widen even more in shock. She again fixed her eyes intently and deeply to his eyes and said,

 

"Wait up young man, I'm not done yet. What makes you think I'm taking revenge on you? Oh please! There you are again thinking too highly of yourself. For your information Mr. Conceited, you're not even worth it. And I'd like to remind you that you were the one who told me not to meddle with your business so stop meddling with mine. Get your act straight Mr. Kim and stop being childish."

 

With that, Soojung let go of Kai's tie and immediately walked out of the room. Soojung was furious but she had to admit that it felt good to say that in his face. Despite being so composed and straight forward back there, her hands are trembling by now and she knew that she could not hold a strong front any longer so she went out the room immediately and headed back to her office.

 

On the other hand, Kai was left dumfounded in Yoogeun's room trying to think about what just happened. What he initially thought of Soojung's personality is completely opposite to what she has shown just now. She sure is different than what he has expected. Kai can't help but remember those beautiful eyes who intently looked at him. They hold so many emotions and anxieties.

 

'What the heck are those eyes? I've never looked at someone's eyes that intently before. Her eyes looked fierce but they showed me a different feeling. Her eyes looked like she is hiding so much behind those fearless and hard stares she is giving me.'

 

Kai snapped out of his thoughts when the door opened and her older sister appeared in front of him.

 

"Yah, Kai! Are you alright? You don't look good. Have you seen a ghost?"

 

Sora playfully asked Kai and chuckled.

 

"And before I forget, mom and dad told me to relay a message to you. Your wedding date is decided. It'll be held about 2 weeks from now."

 

Sora just delivered the bomb to Kai. He knew that the marriage is already settled but he did not expect for it to happen that soon. He wondered if Soojung already knew that's why she started to act too grumpily earlier. He might not favor this marriage but one thing's sure now. This is going to be one hell of a roller coaster ride given that he already had a glimpse of Soojung's real personality. Kai thinks that he just might as well have fun while it lasts knowing that Soojung isn't just some type of girl who easily gets bullied.

 

"Hey Kai. Are you there? Are you ok? I can't help but feel bad for you. Are you even ready for this?"

 

Sora worriedly asked Kai and Kai just smirked at her putting his game face on. Sora gave him a look and she started to fear for Soojung's life.

 

"Why are you showing me that look? I know that look young man. Don't tell me you're going to play with her?"

 

Kai just smirked even more and said to himself.

 

'This is going to be fun. I can't wait till its show time.'

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

a/n: Hi my dear readers! I am so happy with your feedbacks and comments. I can't help but feel inspired to write! Here's a short update for you guys. I hope everything's well with you guys. I just would like to ask if the format of the story is fine? I mean the font, isn't it too small? Or is the format of the paragraphs fine with you guys? Tell me about your preference guys and I will surely reconsider. Also tell me again how you feel about this chapter. I would like to hear from you! :) <3

Thank you very much! Will try to update again tonight or tomorrow. Happy reading! :))