sentimental

Nieljoe One Shot Collection
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

-  Sequel to my previous oneshot "He Bangs The Drums" WARNING!!! CONTAINS SPOILER for the movie LA LA LAND -

 

Thursday morning. I heard a rustle coming from my apartment door. I tried to focus my eyes, I noticed that the sky is still dim outside. So I figured it's probably too early for anything.

As my view became clearer, it revealed before my eyes... I'm not ready, I told myself. Especially about this.

A small figure putting a pair of shoe inside the entrance drawer and carefully pushing his big suitcase that even bigger than himself. I'm so not ready for this.

I rolled myself out of the bed, sitting by the side and reached the flip flops below. I didn't have the courage to say anything first so I just looked at him solemnly. He's not been here for 6 months, what could I say?

"I guess you know what exactly I wanna do", he scoffed.
I inhaled deep and held my head, pressing my eyes so God will help me through this morning. I gulped as I remember the text in our group- which he's not a part of it anymore- Jonghyun said to all of us; "It's official that Byunghun-hyung will leave". And everyone was silent, everyone is still silent. No one says anything. Maybe it was too sad and too uncomfortable to talk about it through texts. Maybe because we know that it will come to this eventually.

Byunghun-hyung always say he want to leave our band. A band that we started 6 years ago. And now we're major. Yeah, Ten Poet are no longer an indie band whose gig is held in some shady club down the Hongdae alleys. We perform in national halls now. But for popularity we have to trade our control of things. And that's where it gets complicated.

"I moved your clothes inside the storage boxes under the closet rod", I said to him.
"Oh, you move them to the storage boxes already. How convenient. Thank you", he said with sarcastic smile on his face.
I forced myself to stand and walk to the fridge to get some orange juice.
"You've been away for 6 months. I don't wanna keep seeing someone's clothes that might as well won't come back ever again", I replied.
"Thank you, really. I don't have to sort anything and just put them inside my suitcase", his voice trembled.

I closed my eyes as I felt the sour orange juice tinged my whole mouth. I turned my back against the kitchen bar and took one bread, put it in the toaster; "You want to have some breakfast?", I cleared my throat.
I heard faint snort from behind. I went back facing the toast leaving us in silence for awhile.

"Poach me an egg?", he said after awhile. I glanced at him who's forcing his happy face to me. But those red eyes couldn't lie.
"Alright, since you're here... I'll poach you an egg", I sighed.
"Yay... poached egg...!", he subtly cheered.
I couldn't help but smile. He was busy packing up his clothes to his suitcase. It wasn't much, a lot of tacky looking t-shirts from our early gigs though.

"Isn't this your sweater?", he lift one cream sweater from the pile. That was the sweater I put him on in the first night we slept together.
I looked at it for a moment; "It's yours", I replied.
"It's yours, though", he put it aside.
"You like to wear it, so it's yours. I have a lot of sweaters, you can have that one", I said while kept stirring the boiling water.

I sensed he eyed me then a big sigh came after; "You think I want keep something that can remind me of.... any of this ?"
"Well, I can't have it too since it will also remind me of all of this !", I unknowingly raised my voice.
"You're the one who's still here, of course you will be reminded of it with or without this sweater!", he raised his voice even more.

, here we go. A fight again, I've been through all kinds of fight with this dumb for last 10 years or so now.
"You know, I actually like it more when you're not here. Now I understand why I sleep so well for this last 6 months", I chuckled while straining the water out of our poached eggs.
"Oh I thought you're the one who offer me a breakfast", he talked back.
"I can eat these 2 poached eggs by myself. Are you ing done with your packing?!!", I yelled and looked him right through his eyes.

" you", he mouthed. His little lips trembled. Water danced in his eyes.

I just stared at him, lost of words. Though he's pain in the arse, babbled about how bad our current company is, I also understand his frustration. He never get his solo gig like I got my solo album, or Chanhee-hyung got his musical. And deep down, I can see his insecurities kicking. He needs more to prove himself, and the company simply don't have the time for it. It's not anyone's fault, that's why it's frustrating.

I knew exactly when I got my solo which he wanted so bad, he torn between feeling bitter about it or being my biggest fan. He chose the latter because that was what a lover should do. I felt guilty about it, burdened even. And our relationship never be the same again. I'm afraid of losing him but at the same time I love the limelight pouring down on me. The last thing you need from a relationship is a ing silent rivalry.

The toaster's clicking sound broke our silence and I put the toasts on plates for two then laid our poached eggs on top of them. I walked pass the kitchen bar to our little table. I put both plate facing each other. As I pulled one chair, I looked at him;

"Eat the poached egg while it's hot. It will be ugly in seconds", I said nonchalantly.
He bit his lips and wiped his eyes. He stood from his spot and sat in front of me. Still sobbing, he took the fork and knife and started to slice the poached egg. And the yolk melted effortlessly on his plate.
"It cooked perfectly... like always", he whispered.
"I guess you came here just for the poached eggs, not the clothes", I said.
He chuckled and

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter