Who?

The Mysterious Mr Kim

“When did you start working here?” Krystal asks hugging Jinri tightly.

“Three after we were both sold off.” Jinri replies. In Krystal’s second residence she was still trying to adjust to the new place and there was one girl who was there for her. A bit older and had come from a different residence at the same time as her. None of the other staff then had told them the horror the master would do so when it did happen, they tried to protect each other but that resulted in beatings. “How many places did you work at after that?” She asks.

“Three. The first two beat their slaves but the last one I only had to work in the kitchens.”

“What were the first two’s names?”

“Chang-Ho and Kyung-Jin.” She’s surprised she actually remembered their names, although, after what they did their names are stuck in her memory.

“Kyung-Jin, the man whose study burned down?” Jinri’s eyes widen slightly.

“That was me, the next day he sold us all off.”

“He was distrustful of you all?” Krystal nods, “I'm glad you were able to get away from him.”

“I am too.” Krystal shudders ever so slightly remembering the beatings she got.

“What were the places you worked at after like?”

“I only worked in the kitchens luckily when Mr Kim bought me and a few others.”

“How is it here at Mr Kim’s?”

“It’s very pleasant, there are many of us here so Mr Kim says we can take days off. He also goes around every few days with a paper and asks us one food we want and he’ll go out to buy them. He’s extremely rich, he said it comes from his family.”

“What happened to his family?”

“His parents died and his siblings own other residences.”

“So do you ever feel as if you want to leave?”

“None of us do, he also goes to each servant asking them about how they are and their complaints. None of us tell him any complaints because our situation is ideal.”

“Why does he have such an interest in us slaves?”

“I can't answer that.” She says apologetically. Krystal sighs, why won't anyone tell me what his background is? “But I can assure you that he is a very kind man.” She gives her one last hug, “I need to prepare some food right now.” She smiles before going. Krystal turns and goes to the stairs when Mr Kim walks past her. He nods at her before she goes up the stairs.

 

Myungsoo had seen Krystal talking to Jinri, how do they know each other, she was never at Hwang-Do’s residence. He does his usual rounds with the staff before going to Jinri.

“Hello, what food do you want from the town?” He asks her.

“An apple please.” She replies with a light smile, “Oh right, why didn’t you say that the girl you were looking for was Jung Soojung?” She asks.

“I didn’t think anyone else knew her and I have to ask. How do you know her?”

“We met in Soojung’s second residence, my third one. We arrived at the same time and grew closer over time.” She’s absentmindedly rubbing her arm that is covered by a light brown sleeve.

“What was his name?”

“Chul-San” The words sound like poison.

“What did he do to you?” He knows she’ll be honest because he’s been honest with her and the rest of the staff.

“Things that are better left unspoken but they gave Soojung and I things like this.” She pulls the sleeve back showing a branding with the letters ‘CK’.

“She has this as well?” He tightens his grip on the cane.

“Yes, and all of the other slaves who belonged to him. He also left some scars inwardly.”

“You can trust me enough to tell me what he did.” He reassures her. She opens before closing it again. Then she takes a deep breath.

 

Krystal sighs looking through the stone banisters. She’s sitting cross-legged on the floor enjoying the view of the chandelier and the paintings. Then she sees Mr Kim come into the main room almost rushing to the stairs over to his chambers. The way he’s walking almost seems as if he’s angry. She sees the door close quickly but not slam. From all she’s heard from the staff here he is a kind man but even kind men get angry. Hesitantly she stands up and goes around to the door. Then she hears loud crashing and a shout.

“Idiot!” He keeps saying. She can't hear any other voices so he’s probably throwing furniture and all that. She leaves his door and goes back to her spot on the bannister.

The door opens a few minutes later and he hurries down the stairs again. She takes note of his limp. It’s not a light one and his mouth twitches each time he takes a step. Another question to add to her long list. She notices something out of place. Clutching his cane is a hand wrapped in bandages and there’s blood soaking through. He disappears into the study and closes the door softly. She frowns and stands up again. She goes down the stairs and takes a breath before opening the door to the study. She sees his mask on an end table and he’s sitting in a red chair with his back to her. She can see the edge of a book. A hand grabs the mask quickly.

“So what have you found out about me?” He closes the book and stands to look at her. He leans against the chair holding his hands together. A fire is crackling on the left and there are many candles around the room.

“What?” So he knows about her asking around? “That you treat your slaves very well and that here they’re not slaves anymore. How does that work?”

“They’re free to leave when they want to find a job but most want to stay here. I do pay them well with the money I inherited and earn.” He explains.

“Why?”

“Let’s just say I know what slaves go through and I just want them free of those tortures.” The way he speaks is so familiar and the way it is makes her chest pang.

“Why me?”

“Why I freed you? Well, there haven’t been any open sales in a long time so I saw it as a chance to free you.” He replies before looking down at his hands. That’s a sign that he does not want to go into detail there because she can clearly see that he is hiding something.

“What happened?” She looks at his hands.

“Accident.” He mutters, “May I ask your name?” It’s a very long time that she has had to tell someone her name. Most don’t even ask while they’re in the slave quarters.

“Soojung.” She says after a few seconds hesitation.

“Just remember, if you ever want to go into the town just ask.” He takes his book and picks his cane up. There is the tiniest smile on his face. Then she sees one dimple on each cheek. Why does he have dimples just like…she closes her eyes and pushes the memory out. He walks past her and then out of the room. She follows in suit and returns to her own chambers. 

I’ve asked the other staff and have even found a close friend of mine from my second residence. Despite finding out some of his reasons for freeing me and many other slaves, I don’t know the real reasons why. He is so familiar in speech and appearance. Who is Mr Kim?