Imagination

Short Writing

In my imagination, you’re not just an imagination.

(BaekYeol)

 

 

 

“We can go to the beach.”

 

Baekhyun diverts his gaze from the view outside the window to stare at the man who’s on the hospital bed. Chanyeol is also staring at him, with seemingly tired eyes, but sparkling. “Beach?”

 

“Hm-hm. It can be just the both of us, and because it’s still winter, we can wear warm clothes – you have to bring extra blanket, Baek, you can’t stand the cold.”

 

Smiling wearily, Baekhyun gets up from the couch where he has been sitting on, then walks towards the bed until he sits on its edge. “Sounds fun.”

 

Chanyeol nods, enthusiastic enough although a few of tubes are scattered around his arm. “We can spend the whole day there. What do you say?”

 

Silence, like this, is so suffocating because Baekhyun doesn’t know if he can stand the disappointed look on Chanyeol’s face for the nth time. “I want to go with you, I really want to.” he says slowly. “But I… I can’t.”

 

There’s a knocking sound at the door.

 

Chanyeol feels his heart falling. “Why, Baek?”

 

Baekhyun glances at the door for a while, then he stares at the man in front of him again.

 

“Yeol,” he whispers, “I died, remember?”

 

The door opens. “Good morning, Chanyeol.” Dr. Kim greets. “How are you today?” he says before he examines the look on Chanyeol’s face – disappointed, lost.

 

“You… Baekhyun was back?”

 

Chanyeol, as if he’s awaken from his daydream, stares at Dr. Kim still with disappointed look. “I…” he hesitates, “yes, he… I saw him again previously. But… it was shorter. The duration was shorter.”

 

Dr. Kim smiles warmly. “Chanyeol, you do know that it’s very great for a Scizophrenia patient to recognize which one is reality and which one is imagination, right?”

 

Sometimes, Chanyeol thinks, reality can be so painful.