one

The Masterminds
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

 

  Seoul, South Korea:

Gangnam Police Station 7PM.

 

“So Mr. Jang we have a few questions to ask regarding the rare set of jewels that were stolen from Mrs. Kim’s home last night, if you don’t mind. It’s the fourth robbery in the past two weeks.”

Jang Hyunseung, a twenty-five year old businessman and socialite sat in the dreary, cold interview room with detectives Kim Lee Jung and Park Min Hyuk. He was no stranger in the Gangnam Police Station that was located in the center of The Gangnam District, which was often recognized as the equivalent of Beverly Hills. These two detectives were almost always bringing him; along with his friends, in for questioning which was usually related to anything that had been stolen or anything that had been stolen and placed on the black market for resale. It made sense as to why they were targeted, Jang Hyunseung and his group of friends were very wealthy for being so young and they were well known on the streets for being some of the best conmen of their generation. They couldn’t be touched and they were feared for the amount of power they held and the connections they had. You didn’t want to mess with them without having to pay a few deadly consequences. Their allies and enemies simply referred to them as; The Masterminds. Everything they touched turned to gold and yet the police never had any substantial evidence against them. It was always just suspicion.

They always had a few ‘questions’ to ask that always ended up with the detectives trying to get something out of him, with no luck because Hyunseung always had an airtight alibi nor would he rat out any of his friends and associates. Not to mention the jobs that were being carried out were done by rookies and amateurs, Hyunseung and his group were professionals. They’d never get caught by making rookie mistakes, the only way they’d go down is if one of them actually slipped up or someone ratted them out and Hyunseung couldn’t see either of those happening.

Hyunseung ran his fingers through his hair and crossed his legs. He was a patient man and was somewhat mild tempered; you kind of have to be when dealing with these two idiots. He smirked, they thought they were so smart; it was actually funny to him how they thought they were actually doing something but yet they were wasting their time and his. Although he found this situation hilarious, he sat there stone faced, not saying one word. The two detectives sat down in front of him, one placed a cup of water near Hyunseung’s reach while the other pulled out a file from an envelope.

“Alright Mr. Jang, so as you may have heard about the recent home invasions along with the stolen jewels. We would like to know if you or anyone you know may have a connection in this.” Park Min Hyuk said.

He sighed, although he remained calm and friendly, his patience was starting to wear thin.

“Why would I have any connection in a home invasion, detectives?” He asked, innocently.

Both detectives squirmed in their seats, they didn’t enjoy his innocent act; they never did.

“Come on Hyunseung, we know the type of people you associate with” Lee Jung said, exasperated.

“Oh, are we on a first name basis now Lee Jung? No more formalities?” Hyunseung said. You could hear the sarcasm oozing from his voice. The detectives caught it and were not happy but they had to keep their cool, they didn’t want him to walk. Detective Lee Jung cleared his throat.

“My apologies Mr. Jang, I just want to solve this case which I’m sure you can understand.” They were losing him, they both could feel it.

Hyunseung leaned back in his chair and folded his arms. He had the look of disinterest etched on his face.

“Oh sure detectives, and I hope you understand that I am a busy man and while I could be out making money, I am instead in here wasting away with the two of you. So if you don’t mind, I’d like to be on my way.” He smiled, stood up and made his way out of the police station. The two detectives slammed their fist down on the table and yelled out in frustration.

Hyunseung stepped outside; the cool night air greeted him happily. He glanced around and saw a black Rolls Royce parked across the street. He recognized it immediately; it was one of his many cars that he owned. He started towards the car and then the door opened. His close friend and business partner, Lee Jeongmin stepped out. Hyunseung grinned and they embraced each other.

“Long time, no see Jeongmin, how was Budapest?” They both enter the car, he signals the chauffeur to start driving.

“It was great. You should have been there. We made off easily with three million each.” Jeongmin said, smirking.  He chuckled, that was Jeongmin’s fourth time on a run and he was excited. They’ve known each other for a few years now and when he wanted in, he was refused at first for being the youngest out of his group friends but the guy was persistent and well he was actually of some use, once things were straightened out with Hyunseung’s best friend and leader of The Masterminds; Yoon Doojoon, he was in.

“That’s more than all of your last runs combined.” Jeongmin nodded, he was as giddy as a little pup. They had arrived at Hyunseung’s penthouse that he used from time to time when he stayed in the city. They made their way to the elevators that would take them up to the thirty-fifth floor.

His security guard unlocked the door and they stepped inside. They were immediately bombarded by five other guys with a ton of questions.

“Why didn’t you call us?”

What did they ask?”

“Oh hey Jeongmin, when did you get in?”

They aren’t suspicious of us right?”

“The better question is; they don’t think we pulled that rookie robbery crap do they?”

“Yeah Junhyung is right, that would be downright insulting.”

Our leader Doojoon cleared his throat.

“Okay let’s give Hyun some room to breathe” He said laughing. Everyone sat down on the couch and waited for answers from Hyunseung.

“Guys calm down; of course they suspect us, what else is new?”

“So they do think that low of us… that we’d stoop that low and start robbing houses we could easily talk our way into and walk out with whatever we wanted.” The shorter member Yoseob said in disbelief.

They all laughed. Junhyung sighed and fell backwards on the couch, sliding off dramatically. Doojoon reached over and ruffled his hair.

“Come on, everyone knows we’re better than the best, that’s why we’re highly sought after” Doojoon was grinning from ear to ear; you could tell he was extremely proud. Junhyung sighed again. He was the one that enjoyed the recognition the most even though he’d never admit it. He was the team’s elite hacker and Doojoon’s second in command. He was skilled in other areas like martial arts and conning like the rest of the members but hacking was his expertise and what he felt most comfortable doing.

Doojoon was the one that founded the group, the one

Please log in to read the full chapter