Baby Goodbye

A Hot Mess

Parenthood had to be the most exhausting activity on the face of the planet.

Seunghyun had thought that the endless days of training or filming music videos for three days straight or performing seventy concerts was tiring. But, oh, he had been a fool. Those activities were difficult, certainly, but they were nothing like dealing with a newborn’s sleep schedule or a teething baby. Ji-Yeon was a whole different ballgame when it came to wearing her parents out.

Between the two of them, Daesung seemed to take it better. He had mastered the power nap and would often sleep when Ji-Yeon went down for a nap. Seunghyun was not nearly so good at life. He was a recreational sleeper – the sort who could doze for hours on end. Asking him to take a quick nap was like asking the moon to only shine for ten minutes before going down again; impossible. So, Daesung did a lot of the dirty work when it came to the baby. He would do the midnight feedings and rock Ji-Yeon when she woke in the middle of the night while Seunghyun slept a solid nine hours (more like eleven) in the other room. It amazed Seunghyun just how good of a father Daesung was.

In order to celebrate the pure awesomeness of his beloved Daesung, the rapper had arranged for a special trip to Korea. Seunghyun figured that Jiyong, Youngbae, and Seungri could rotate watching the baby, giving her parents a chance to spend a relaxing week on Jeju Island. What could go wrong with such a brilliant plan?

Daesung packed Ji-Yeon’s bag, frowning as he did so. Unlike Seunghyun he was entirely capable of imagining all the ways the uncles could get into trouble while watching a baby; none of them had experience dealing with a twelve-month old. But, Seunghyun was so excited about the plan that Daesung did not have the heart to object. Instead, he had quietly reminded his friends that they were free to call either his or Seunghyun’s parents for either help or relief if it became too much. Youngbae had laughed brightly at that and assured them everything would be alright.

When they got off the plane, Daesung was surprised at the number of fans that stood waiting at the airport. He had thought that most of them would have jumped ship when he and Seunghyun had gotten married; South Korea was not particularly forgiving, even after so much time. But there they stood like a faithful swarm, clicking pictures and waving their signs. Daesung grinned at them and shifted Ji-Yeon in his arms so she could see the crowd. The baby giggled, causing all of the V.I.P.s to melt against the railing and each other. Seunghyun grumbled when Daesung made him pose for a few pictures, but he was convinced the moment he had realized that it was Ji-Yeon’s first public appearance. Debuts were important in their family.

Jiyong met them outside with one of the YG vans. He hopped out in order to steal a hug…and his little goddaughter. “Hello, beautiful!” he grinned his gummiest smile.

“Hello yourself,” Seunghyun drawled. Ji shot him a glare before sweeping back into the van, Ji-Yeon still in his arms.

Daesung chuckled. “Poor Seunghyunnie. You’re being outshined by the beauty of your daughter.” He snuck a quick kiss to Seunghyun’s cheek before climbing into the van – pretending to ignore the way his lover pinched his bottom on the way in. Once he had strapped Ji-Yeon into her car seat and settled down himself, Daesung reached into his bag and pulled out a binder. “I made this for you and the guys. It has all of the instructions you could need, including feeding schedules, how to change her diaper, and her preferred lullabies. As long as you stick to this book, you should not run into any problems.”

Taking the binder, Jiyong began to flip through it. He stopped on one page, blinking. “Did you really include a guide to what her different poop means?”

Seunghyun shrugged. “Parenting does weird things to you.”

“And it can really help you know if she’s got any digestive issues or why she isn’t feeling well,” Daesung added.

Jiyong made a face at the thought of checking anyone’s poop, but he continued looking through the book. “Thank you for making this, Daesung. I know you are worried because it will be the first time you and Ji-Yeon have been apart, but we will take good care of. I promise, your baby will be happy and whole when you return.” He flashed Daesung a wide smile.

Nodding, Daesung reached over to adjust Ji-Yeon’s hairbow. “I know, Ji. If I didn’t trust you with her, I wouldn’t have agreed to leave her with you.” He cleared his throat. “I’m just a worry wart. That’s all.”

Once they had arrived at Jiyong’s penthouse, the three men carried the baby and her affects upstairs. Daesung quickly pulled Ji-Yeon from her carrier and pressed kisses all over her face. “Appa loves you,” he murmured. “And we’ll call every night. You be nice to your Uncle Ji and Uncle Youngbae and Uncle Seungri. They need your help.” He hugged her close even as long, warm arms slipped around his waist.

“She’ll be a perfect angel,” Seunghyun murmured. “And we’re going to have a wonderful time. Just the two of us.” He snuck a kiss to the warm skin just below Daesung’s ear. “Celebrating our anniversary in the best possible ways..”

Daesung wrinkled his nose. “I know, love.” Pulling away, he walked over to Jiyong and carefully held out Ji-Yeon. “Don’t forget to send us pictures. Someone needs to document her first trip to see her uncles.”

Taking Ji-Yeon into his arms, he bounced her on his hip. “Aye-aye,” he laughed. “You will have more pictures of her than Seunghyun posted during his first week of having Instagram. I’ll set Youngbae on making sure we document everything. He’s actually going to come over tonight, just so we can learn together. And Seungri is coming over tomorrow. Now, get going, you two! You’ll miss the jet to Jeju if you keep standing there.”

Daesung snuck one last kiss to the baby’s cheek before Seunghyun all but drug him out the door. Once they were gone, Jiyong looked down at his goddaughter with a smile. “We are going to have such a great time, Princess Ji-ji. But first…we need to get you into some fresh clothes. You are just going to love what Uncle Ji bought you.”

---

So this piece is probably going to be at least a three-shot. I figure having a few of the key experiences from the babysitting and the occasional flash of ToDae should be fun. As always, happy countdown to Dae-Day! Woo~ Feel free to leave comments, particularly if there is something you’d enjoy seeing in the craziness that we’re about to embark on.