The Enlistment

The Enlistment
Please log in to read the full chapter

Jaejoong read the newest message before dropping his phone back to the table, trying to ignore the eeriness he felt upon the content of the message. He actually knew that buying some time to avoid talking with the other would just make him getting madder than ever. However, Jaejoong still could not face the other- not yet. Thus, when the phone was ringing loud again; giving a sign that someone was trying to call, Jaejoong decided to pretend the sound was never there at the first place.

“Jaejoong-Ah.” Someone suddenly approached and placed his arms on Jaejoong’s shoulder when he has stood up from his place. It was Heechul. “Merely a suggestion, but you better take that call.”

“Why should I?” asked Jaejoong instead, frowning as he was thinking that Heechul intervened way too much sometimes with the other’s lives.

“Because it’s your ing boyfriend,” answered Heechul with a shrug.

“First of all, Heechul, prevent yourself from saying ing and anything related with my boyfriend at one sentence,” Jaejoong said. “And second to that; so? What if it’s my boyfriend?”

“There is no so,” Heechul replied, showing Jaejoong off his phone screen. “But you should know that I’ve sent this to Changmin.”

Jaejoong took the phone from Heechul absentmindedly, still confused on what the other could possibly mean by that. But soon after he could see what Heechul has sent to his Changmin; some photos of him laughing together with Gunhee and Geunsuk, Jaejoong knew that he was in a bigger problem than what he has expected. Jaejoong stared at Heechul in disbelief; ready to show his disagreement on the other’s doing, when the phone on his hand was vibrating. Instinctively, Jaejoong turned his attention back to the screen.

‘He has to answer or he’ll be sorry for the rest of his enlistment days,’ was what written there.

“Heechul, you’re an idiot!” Jaejoong unconsciously raised his voice. “Why?”

“He was only asking me nicely,” Heechul answered with another shrug, making an attempt to take his phone back which Jaejoong hasn’t allowed yet. “Of where I am; anyway. And then I sent him that picture to tell him I’m with you. Who knows that you’re avoiding him?”

“Oh, God,” Jaejoong murmured as he walked slowly to take his phone from the table. “Damn it.”

After picking his phone, Jaejoong walked again; this time towards the balcony where there were no noises around. He simply ignored Heechul and gave him the look, when the other was asking for his phone back. Looking at his phone, Jaejoong lost in his thought for a moment. He was still hesitant at first, before sighing in defeat and pressing the answer button in the end.

“Yes?” greeted Jaejoong right away.

‘Where are you, Jaejoong?’

Jaejoong hated it the most when the other was calling him Jaejoong instead of Joongie-Ah. It made him feeling less special; and realized that he was currently in trouble. “Let’s just talk tomorrow, Min-Ah,” he decided to not answer the question. “We’ll talk all-day; as much as you want.”

‘No,’ said Changmin stiffly; seemed to be determined enough getting what he wanted.

“Min-Ah, I’m with friends,” reasoned Jaejoong, hoping the other could understand.

‘Am I less important than your stupid line of friends?’ asked Changmin.

Jaejoong knew it better to not get mad upon the remark, since those weren’t what Changmin really meant. Changmin was just too unstable to notice that he has said such things. “Okay,” he said back with another sigh. “I’ll come to your place after this.”

‘So it’s true that I’m less important,’ said Changmin again.

“No. Gosh. No, Min-Ah,” Jaejoong replied within his frustration. “Where are you? I’ll go there now.”

‘On my way to pick you up,’ replied Changmin instead.

Jaejoong widened his eyes in instant, feeling worried all of sudden upon the fact that Changmin was driving to his place at this state. “You don’t even know where I am,” Jaejoong said, basically trying to convince himself that Changmin just bluffed around. “Just let me come to your place.”

‘Do you think I don’t have a card to ask whereas you are?’ asked Changmin confidently.

“What card- Oh, you meant Heechul?” Jaejoong just realized that the photo was sent to Changmin probably because it was what the other has planned since the start. It wasn’t a surprise if the other knew how to lure Heechul with the right words. “You can’t ask him, Min-Ah. His phone is with me.”

There was a brief of silence, which made Jaejoong thinking that he has won.

‘Heechul is not the only person who knows where you are, Jaejoong,’ Changmin replied; and though Jaejoong couldn’t see it, he was sure that there was a smirk on the other’s face. ‘Heechul is not even my card to get you back.’

“Then what’s your card-”

‘I’m on phone with him,’ Changmin cut Jaejoong’s words. ‘To make it fair, I’ll put it on speakerphone.’

Jaejoong could hear some ruckus from the other side for a moment, before a familiar voice suddenly filled up his hearing. He shut his eyes tightly and groaned as he realized who the person was from his ring back tone; Walking with Her in Spring. “Should have known,” he murmured. “Yoochun.”

‘Can you call again later?’ asked the person which Jaejoong has guessed before; Yoochun.

‘Where are you?’ This one was Changmin; asking Yoochun, Jaejoong guessed.

‘At a restaurant; with umma and Yoohwan,’ answered Yoochun this time; seemed hoping the other to not disturb his family time today and just hanging this up.

‘Where is he?’ asked Changmin towards Yoochun again.

Jaejoong listened to everything while biting his lips nervously. Secretly, he really hoped that Yoochun wouldn’t say a word at Changmin. Though, he also knew that the chance for that was quite small.

‘He- who, Changmin?’ asked Yoochun back.

‘Where is he, Yoochun? I need it fast, I’m on the way,’ repeated Changmin.

‘Does he even know that you’re calling me to ask?’ asked Yoochun- again, with a sigh.

Jaejoong hit his head to the wall lightly, frustrated as he listened to the other two’s conversation. He could sense that Yoochun has started to give up on keeping him in secret, and he hated to know it. Though he also knew that from Yoochun or him, Changmin would still find him this night- soon.

‘He’s listening to this call,’ answered Changmin.

‘… Jae-Ah?’ Yoochun said hesitantly this time. ‘Sorry, not that I want to betray you. But I do think you should talk with each other.’ He stopped for a second. ‘It’s XX Bar.’

‘Got it,” said Changmin in satisfaction. ‘Thanks, Yoochun.’

Jaejoong could hear a sound of click, which was followed with a deadly silent. Instinctively, Jaejoong knew it meant Changmin has cut the connection off with Yoochun. “Oh God Yoochun,” murmured him with closed eyes, leaning on the wall restlessly.

‘I’m coming there, Jaejoong,’ announced Changmin.

“Min-Ah, just- please go to the roadside; wherever you are,” Jaejoong said tiredly. “I’ll come there. I promise… so please don’t drive anywhere and stay at your place.”

‘Is there someone you don’t want me to see?’ asked Changmin again, spitting his anger at the other.

“Okay, you can come,” Jaejoong finally said, knowing that his effort would be meaningless no matter what. “I’ll be waiting, Min-Ah. Please be careful and take your time, I won’t go anywhere.”

Jaejoong was staring at his phone for a moment before walked into the room again; those were, of course, after he has done on phone with Changmin. He went straight into his couch, collecting all of his stuffs into his bad. After he has made sure that everything was inside already, Jaejoong quickly bid a farewell towards everyone there- and threw Heechul’s phone back to his owner.

“My phone!” gasped Heechul, trying to catch his phone- which fortunately succeeded.

“But why are you in such rush?” asked one of Jaejoong’s friends there; Gunhee, with a soft laughter. “Is your boyfriend that scary?”

“No he isn’t,” Heechul answered for Jaejoong. “He’s nice, sweet, caring, and a little bit protective but makes you feeling special that way. But… you shouldn’t make a problem with him. Jaejoong’s only mistake is that he forgot about that.”

“You sounded jealous, Heechul-Ah,” replied Geunsuk with his playful smirk.

“Oh, who doesn’t?” Heechul said back. “Obviously Changmin’s kind is everyone’s dream.”

“Shut up,” Jaejoong said while rolling his eyes lazily. “I’m going first.”

Jaejoong walked his way towards the outside, stopping his steps when he reached

Please log in to read the full chapter