21. Operations Are Go

Blood Sister
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sungjong turned out to be an absolute gift.  He wasn’t fussy – beyond making sure that he had all the right equipment – and happily installed himself in the back of the room with his three computers that he’d hidden in the skip behind the building before breaking in that morning.

“You are aware that the rubbish is taken away on Fridays, right?” Jongdae had asked him in alarm when he’d headed out to get them.  Sungjong just grinned at him.

“I think living with him is going to kill me,” Jongdae groaned, slumping down at his desk.  Minseok and Yixing exchanged knowing glances, both trying very hard not to laugh.

“Well, you were the one who offered,” Minseok reminded him with utter lack of tact.  “It’s your problem.  From what I’ve heard, he’s a nice enough person.”

Jongdae glared at him.  “He trained with Byun Baekhyun.  God knows what he’s capable of.”

“Hacking the Blue House,” Sungjong said cheerfully, poking his head back in through the door.  “Sorry – this place is a total maze.  Can somebody show me the way out back?”

Openly laughing, Yixing went to accompany him.

Computers duly rescued, Sungjong set about making himself a high quality fake ID as a new IT consultant for the Busan police department in front of them (he sent Yixing to collect it from the printers when the card was ready) and then happily hacked into the system to register himself as an employee there from the previous month.

“I’m requesting Kyungsoo to get on that if he’s still alive,” Yixing muttered to Minseok as Sungjong set up a ninja-standard game of Tetris on Yixing’s file on the database that any hackers had to conquer at least twenty levels of before they could get through.

“Kyungsoo used to do this too,” Sungjong commented without looking around at them.  “The games were actually what kept me occupied so he could set up other defences.  It’s a good trick.”

Alarmed, Yixing raised his eyebrows.

“Whisper,” Minseok told him.  “Or learn sign language.”

By the end of the day, all the policemen who could be ruled out as “safe” had their files protected by Space Invaders and insane levels of Pac Man.  Sungjong had put up some salvaged version of Flappy Bird for Jongdae’s file as “you’re my host, so your file is the most protected”.  Jongdae looked like he didn’t know whether to be bemused or flattered.

As Jongdae, Minseok and Yixing wound down from official work and started profiling the various people who’d come to raid Minseok’s house, Sungjong decided it was time to deal with questions that weren’t work-related.

“Xiumin,” he said, swinging around on Yixing’s stolen office chair – not that Yixing noticed, because he’d nabbed Minseok’s and Minseok was sitting in Jongdae’s – “it says on the files that your name is Minseok.  Is that your real name?  The files in Seoul weren’t clear.”

Distractly from the profile of an officer he vaguely knew called Woohyun, Minseok looked up.

“Yeah, it is.”

Sungjong pursed his lips and nodded thoughtfully.  “And you guys were saying over lunch that Luhan needs medical attention.”

All three policemen stopped at that.

“Oh,” said Yixing, apparently having a brainwave.  “Can you hack a hospital or something for us?”

Sungjong shrugged.  “Sure.  I probably ought to do some online consulting with a doctor first to get as accurate a diagnosis as possible, but I’ve forged prescriptions before and they’re not hard.  Once I know what I’m getting, it’ll take about ten minutes, tops, and somebody can go pick it up.”

“What about the prescription paper?” Jongdae pointed out.

“Oh, that’s something I keep on me.”  Sungjong pointed to a laptop case at his feet.  “It’s really useful if you can’t see a doctor for whatever reason.  The online consultancies are best manned in the States, though, and my English —”

“Semi will help with that,” Minseok volunteered immediately.

“Great.”  Sungjong beamed at him.  Minseok returned to Woohyun’s profile.  His concentration lasted about three seconds before Sungjong suddenly snapped his fingers, gaining everybody’s attention.  “Oh, and by the way, I totally forgot about restoring your house’s security system after looking up the address for Luhan and busting it to make sure he’d be able to get in.  I’ll do that now.”

Minseok could only laugh in exasperation.

 

Operation Get Luhan Medicine went incredibly smoothly.  As soon as Minseok returned home from work, he and Semi went to call on Luhan, who was still practically delirious, but making just enough sense to say what was wrong with him, and Sungjong set things up so that they were able to remotely control one of his computers to prevent the IP address tracing back to their house “just in case” while Semi corresponded with an American GP.  Minseok watched her typing in fluent English with his chin resting on her shoulder, absolutely fascinated.  He might be completely fluent in Mandarin, but Semi was the one who spoke five languages – picking up a new one each time she was pregnant as she tended to work part time or not at all when she was expecting – and he could never fail to be impressed by that.  Luhan, sweating profusely, managed to regain coherence for long enough to sit u

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter