Chapter 1: Journal

Distant Memory

 

Kim Nana sat on one of the benches in school, glaring at everything that passed by, she was in a bad mood and that meant that it would be hell for anybody.

She brought out her iPhone and plugged her earphones to it's socket. Sighing, she listened to a particular song which she sang with the person who caused her heart-ache; Sun Woo.

No matter how much she tried, she failed, just as she said. "You can't force somebody to change their tastes." And despite that, a small part within her still expected, hoped that one day he'll finally realize it.

She knew she stood no chance against Se yi, although she was not to blame. Nana respected Se yi, she knew that she's been through a lot, just like her. Nana imagined trying to dress up like Se yi with her hair tied to cute braids, maybe even try smiling the way she does. 

"Hell no." She muttered under her breath. She rolled her eyes from the thought, if only I had met him long before she did. Nana thought, her eyes widened up. 

"What the hell am I thinking?!" She screamed in her mind, while trying to look calm as she fretted on how she was acting.

Nana punched the wooden surface, grunting afterwards.

Looking at her phone, it was almost time for their last class, but she didn't feel like attending. Especially not since she'll 'him'. Just for today, she thought. "I'll skip."

Putting her phone into her pocket, she walked away from school grounds, both hands in her pocket as she thought about what she'll be up to in the future.

Although she rarely went to their house, she thought it would be nice to relax there, It's not as if her parents were always around. Nana took of her shoes as her father's men bowed in respect, disregarding their curtsies, Nana went to her room.

Her room was spacious, the walls were colored black with a few posters hanging around, a king-sized bed which was colored gray, music instruments which were sprayed with dust, a sewing station at the right, and a big white closet near the sewing station.

She walked towards her closet, opening it, she was surprised to see something fall from inside which landed on her foot. Nana flinched at the brief feeling of pain, cursing the object which was actually a torn-up journal.

"What's this?" She asked herself, looking at it a bit amused.

Nana walked towards her bed, holding the journal lazily as she slumped ton the comfortable bed.

She flipped the cover and saw that she wrote it when she was in fourth grade. She read the first entry on her journal.

-Entry 1-

"The ahjusshi working at Room salon told me that he taught a young boy my age how to play the guitar, he told me that the young boy was really talented and good-looking. He even teased me, not that I cared, I've never liked anyone, Why would people even fall in love? Gross." 

Nana snickered at the first entry, this was definitely her back then. She flipped the second page and read.

-Entry 2-

"Ahjusshi showed me a picture of the boy, I've got to admit, he's really good-looking. He looked like a rich kid, but he looked sad. Ahjusshi told me that he studies at my school too, and that maybe I could befriend him. Like I'd do that, nobody even wants to approach me, yet alone befriend me."

Nana's eyes widened as she tried to remember from the corners of her mind, who was that boy again? what did he look like? Disregarding the thought, she continued reading.

-Entry 3-

"I realized that the boy was in a different class, but he looked lonely. It was dismissal time and I left our classroom, on my way to the garden behind our school, I heard someone singing a song. It was beautiful and heart-felt. I quickly walked towards the garden to see the boy that Ahjusshi was talking about. He immediately noticed my presence and stopped singing. Before he could runaway from embarrassment, I grabbed his wrist on impulse, not knowing what to say, I tried to compliment him. He smiled meekly, and I swear I felt something in my stomach flutter, And surprisingly my cheeks heated up after I let go of his wrist. As I was about to actually make friends, he bowed and ran. I couldn't express what i was feeling. It was like I was frustrated, yet fulfilled. It was weird."

Nana chuckled in amusement, was she really like that? she thought. It was like the young her was a love-struck fool.

"Who was that kid again?" she thought, suddenly a photograph fell from the following page. Reluctantly, Nana picked it up and saw the portrait of a young boy who resembled a certain someone.

"No way." She muttered under her breath, staring at the picture intently.

She looked up, curiosity plastered on her face.

"Sun Woo?" She wondered if her guess was right. The chances were slim, but who knew? The world is a small place as they say it.

To be Continued...