001

Camp Crush
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Bye Jaera!" a lady winds down the car windows while waving enthusiastically. The girl that has just come out of the car hurriedly shuffles away while muttering under her breath embarassedly.

 

The lady shouts out again, "Try and make new friends, sweetie!" and when she doesn't get a response, "Yah! Respect your mother!"

 

Jaera turns back, an innocent smile on her face, and responds sweetly yet sarcastically. "Of course, my dear eomma. I will definitely heed your words as you are the light of my life."

 

This pleases her mother, no matter how sarcastic it is, and the car finally drives away. Jaera inhales a deep breath. This wasn't part of her original summer plans, but Kim Jongin (or He-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named) decided to break up with her two weeks before the summer holidays. So here she is, trying to mend her broken heart by focusing on counselling little kids.

 

She feels tears pooling in her eyes again at the thought of Jongin. It's already been about a month since the breakup, but she feels as though she's not letting him go. Shaking her head, she walks forward to the registration counter.

 

"Name?" a strict lady peers at her with half-moon glasses.

 

"Park Jaera."

 

"Okay, Jaera. You are in charge of Group 3 and your counsellor partner is Kim Junmyeon. He hasn't arrived yet so you can go to your cabin first to unpack. The children will be arriving tomorrow. Here are your keys."

 

Jaera accepts the keys and gives a slight bow. As she walks off, she realises that she doesn't exactly know where the cabins are. She walks further in, and finally decides to ask a young girl around her age who is wearing the camp T-shirt.

 

"Um, excuse me? Do you know where the cabins are?"

 

"Oh yes," the girl says, pointing to the left. "It's right over there, just make a left after passing the big tree!"

 

"Okay, thanks for your help, ...?"

 

"Yoora." the girl replies, flashing a smile. "I'm in Group 4, so we'll be seeing each other often! Group 3 and Group 4 are right next to each other."

 

"How did you know I'm from Group 3?"

 

"Ah, your keys."

 

Jaera laughs and nods awkwardly before thanking her again and walking away. She finally makes it to the cabins and anticipates the urban lifestyle awaiting her as she turns the key.

 

Instead, she is surprised to see a relatively nice room with a few double decker beds and she quickly sets her bag on a single bed, far from the others. She is unpacking and setting sets of clothes to one side when she hears a knock on her door.

 

She opens it to find a handsome guy, probably her age, with a smile to kill. "Hi," he says. "Can I come in?"

 

Before a Jaera can stop herself, she answers, "Who even are you?" The sight of a (very good-looking) male makes her slightly nervous and based on her past experiences, handsome boys are evil. 

 

Instead of scowling, he grins. "I'm your group partner."

 

drops open. "You're Junmyeon?"

 

"Yes I am," he says with a laugh. "So can I come in?"

 

She nods shortly before opening the door wider. He steps in and flashes her another smile before his face freezes. Jaera follows his gaze, and finds it towards her polka-dotted undergarments that she just took out. Cheeks flaming, she quickly packs everything with an awkward laugh.

 

When she is done, she looks back and sees him sitting on one of the beds in silence. She raises a brow when all he does is stare right back at her.

 

"Nothing," he says. "I just wanted to see who my group partner was."

 

"And now you have."

 

"Why are you so hostile?"

 

At that, Jaera frowns. She knows exactly why, but she doesn't want him to know. Junmyeon sees her face contort and he feels bad, so he stands up to offer a handshake, ready to leave.

 

Now she feels bad. "You don't have to leave," she finds herself saying softly. "Let's talk about camp; it's my first year here and I'm not really sure how this thing works."

 

Junmyeon raises a brow at her before sitting down again. He pats at the empty space beside him, inviting her to take a seat. She does, and waits for him to start speaking.

 

"Well, you don't seem pleased to be here." he begins bluntly. "Why did you sign up as a counsellor?"

 

She is torn between lying or spilling her guts out. In the end, she decides to go with the former.

 

"Just wanted to try something new? I'm going to the Korean National University of Arts soon and I think it'll look good on my papers and stuff."

 

Junmyeon eyes her skeptically for a moment. "I go to KNUA, but it doesn't really do much for my co-curricular points."

 

She gulps, eyes darting nervously.

 

He asks her again, "What's the real reason, then?"

 

Jaera sighs and opens to answer when the door is barged open with Yoora standing on the other side.

 

"Oh, you're friends already!" Yoora exclaims excitedly and Jaera breathes a sigh of relief, not having to answer the question. "C'mon, it's lunch time! They're gonna brief us after that."

 

Suddenly, a head of brown hair pops up behind Yoora. "Are you done yet?" he whines.

 

Yoora turns to him and flicks him on the forehead. "Yah! Sehun, don't be so impatient!"

 

"He's my group partner," she explains. "I have to go now, see you at the cafeteria!" She flashes Jaera and Junmyeon a smile before walking away with Sehun.

 

"Ah, let's go, Jaera!" Junmyeon's smile is warm, but his eyes say 'We'll talk about this later'

 

They walk together, well, it's more of her following him because she doesn't know where the cafeteria is. As they walk in silence, she admires the scenery of nature around them. However, she is so caught up in its beauty that she doesn't realise she's walking over a pile of twigs that causes her to lose her balance.

 

Luckily, Junmyeon catches her in time before she falls flat to the ground and she thanks him sheepishly. They continue their jou

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter